Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 23: Generative Music by Intermorphic Ltd.

Comments

• @Masanga said:
    not counting the goat, who probably won't sue

That really is quite a recording! :smile:

Pete

• @impete said:

@Gavinski said:
    I think this could be the year that wotja goes big! Great work guys!

Thanks!

If you could let @imtim know how you copied-in the ogg files, that'd be useful, as he's suffering finger trouble with this right now :lol:

Pete

I first used an online converter to convert wav to ogg - free, easy, fast, and with the added bonus of making a large file absolutely tiny. I then opened 2 instances of the files app in split screen view and dragged the file from one instance into the wotja folder in the other files instance - easy peasy! Would be cool if you could somehow enable wotja as a destination when pressing the share menu on ogg files.

• @Gavinski said:
    Would be cool if you could somehow enable wotja as a destination when pressing the share menu on ogg files.

Already in my backlog :smile:

Best, Pete

• edited January 2023

If you drop you WAV file into the Wotja folder and go to the Recordings view, you can convert it to OGG directly from there.

Jump to the last section - around 19 mins in

On Blue sliders - right click or double tap brings up a dialogue and you can enter a numerical value directly.

• @UMCorps said:
    If you drop you WAV file into the Wotja folder and go to the Recordings view, you can convert it to OGG directly from there.

Jump to the last section - around 19 mins in

On Blue sliders - right click or double tap brings up a dialogue and you can enter a numerical value directly.

Thanks - as I mentioned, I did tap a value directly in the end, but as iOS is a touch interface it would be ideal if the sliders responded to touch accurately! Useful tip about direct conversion to OGG, I haven’t gone through Mark’s vids yet but certainly will, thanks again!

• I notice that if you enter full screen edit mode, sliding works fine - but the sliders aren’t that small - accuracy while sliding in the main window would be great

• For drag-and-drop mass conversion to .ogg, I've been finding Permute very useful; Setapp users will already have it (and be supporting Ukraine in the process).

• edited January 2023

@impete said:

@UMCorps said:
    I honestly can't believe some of the audio this version is producing. I got distracted this afternoon while working on something else because the mix pasted to the end of this post started to happen. Whats insane is that the audio content for the entire piece is a single 7 second sample. And its been generating a shifting, constantly morphing soundtrack for several hours here now.
    I have never been able to get anywhere close to doing this sort of thing with any previous version.

Mark's mix includes the audio sample. So anybody with Wotja should be able to copy the mix to clipboard, and import it into Wotja; for any Wotja 23 version (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android...) and it'll sound as you'd expect.

I can vouch that I've been sitting here transfixed by this mix.

Pete

You’re not going to sell many new customers with a text file dump. Give us some audio!

• @impete said:

@Gavinski said:
    I notice @impete that when dragging the blue sliders movement is very coarse - can’t make any fine adjustments and need to end up entering the exact value I want via keyboard. Thoughts?

Yeah, fair comment. Sliders remain a constant work in progress! If there are any particular ones that are bugging you, please share via the forum; and I'll take a look in due course...

Pete

Actually, just now the sliders were working totally fine without going into the edit window, so not sure why they weren’t earlier. All good now though

• edited January 2023

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr here is a quick unlisted vid showing the piano decay ‘text dump’ lol that @UMCorps posted earlier, playing around a little with filters and making it reverse. This is only a tiny smithereen of how much this sample could be manipulated in wotja

• So how much is the Pro version iPad only as a one off payment early bird ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    So how much is the Pro version iPad only as a one off payment early bird ?

App Store seems not to mention the iap prices. I think they might be in the other thread?

• edited January 2023

@Jumpercollins said:

Good question, but it seems there is no 'iPad only' Pro version of Wotja 23. Only as a monthly subscription. Maybe @impete can reply on this?

• @Gavinski said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr here is a quick unlisted vid showing the piano decay ‘text dump’ lol that @UMCorps posted earlier, playing around a little with filters and making it reverse. This is only a tiny smithereen of how much this sample could be manipulated in wotja

Many thanks! Sounds like that time I ran a piano into the Chothi preset in ttap.

• edited January 2023

@Jumpercollins said:

There's no iPad-only one-off unlock, though the sub version has a (non-early-bird) iPad-only version at £3.49. It's £33.99 for the one-off unlock covering all four Apple platforms including WatchOS and TVOS. You can also now unlock the Pro version for 30 days non-renewing with a one-off Tip Jar payment of £4.99, though of course it's cheaper to subscribe for a month and cancel.

• @god said:
    Hey @impete , were there any changes/improvements in schemas/environments in this new version compared to last year’s? I mean, in the randomization engine/algorithm, specifically in “Mixed 1” and “Mixed 2”

Hi, 'Drones 2' and 'Environments 1' are new Schemas, and use a blend of the new W23 Templates, and also couple of the new R2XL presets. I think I changed the Mix reverbs on the others (e.g. Mixed 1 and Mixed 2) to use the new R2XL presets, too, but I don't think I changed anything else. I do hope to do some more Schemas at some point, whether they get included or not I don't know, but they could available for download. TBC, and just a matter of time....

As Pete said, the 2 new Schemas use the two new Schema settings below to ensure you only use 1 template from certain new Paks if you want (as they are sonically rich).

See: https://wotja.com/guide/#schema-mix-environment-cells-col-min and https://wotja.com/guide/#schema-mix-drone-cells-col-min.

Hope that helps!

atb

tim

• Incidentally, a key feature of the free (Lite) version is that merely visiting the Store unlocks a one-shot "Lite+" mode with extended play times. For single mixes it's only 3 minutes instead of 2, but for Schemas and Albums it goes up from 5' to 15'. You need to hit the store before hitting play to get the extended playtime.

• @Gavinski said:

Nice one Gav!!! Thanks for sharing that.... Atb, tim

• edited January 2023

@Gavinski said:

@impete said:

@Gavinski said:
    I notice @impete that when dragging the blue sliders movement is very coarse - can’t make any fine adjustments and need to end up entering the exact value I want via keyboard. Thoughts?

Yeah, fair comment. Sliders remain a constant work in progress! If there are any particular ones that are bugging you, please share via the forum; and I'll take a look in due course...

Pete

Actually, just now the sliders were working totally fine without going into the edit window, so not sure why they weren’t earlier. All good now though

I use a Apple Pencil 2 to move the sliders, and that's working very good. Also the Pencil is a great tool to navigate within Wotja 23.

• @impete said:
    I'd love to see the old Koan Wander idea re-appear, but as a Wotja Wander :smile:

OK, I'll bite: what was Koan Wander? I dipped the occasional toe into Koan waters back in the day, but I don't think I've ever heard of this one…

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:
    not counting the goat, who probably won't sue

That really is quite a recording! :smile:

I can't take any credit; I just nicked it from here.

• @imtim said:

@god said:
    Hey @impete , were there any changes/improvements in schemas/environments in this new version compared to last year’s? I mean, in the randomization engine/algorithm, specifically in “Mixed 1” and “Mixed 2”

Hi, 'Drones 2' and 'Environments 1' are new Schemas, and use a blend of the new W23 Templates, and also couple of the new R2XL presets. I think I changed the Mix reverbs on the others (e.g. Mixed 1 and Mixed 2) to use the new R2XL presets, too, but I don't think I changed anything else. I do hope to do some more Schemas at some point, whether they get included or not I don't know, but they could available for download. TBC, and just a matter of time....

As Pete said, the 2 new Schemas use the two new Schema settings below to ensure you only use 1 template from certain new Paks if you want (as they are sonically rich).

See: https://wotja.com/guide/#schema-mix-environment-cells-col-min and https://wotja.com/guide/#schema-mix-drone-cells-col-min.

Hope that helps!

atb

tim

Alright, sound good to me! Thanks!! I definitely like the new “Environments 1” schema. I would love a new schema or two along the way for sure!

• @Masanga said:

@Jumpercollins said:

There's no iPad-only one-off unlock, though the sub version has a (non-early-bird) iPad-only version at £3.49. It's £33.99 for the one-off unlock covering all four Apple platforms including WatchOS and TVOS. You can also now unlock the Pro version for 30 days non-renewing with a one-off Tip Jar payment of £4.99, though of course it's cheaper to subscribe for a month and cancel.

Cheers strange pricing indeed if you don’t want to go all in.

• Not sure if I should mention it here in iOS land @imtim but the Android version of W23 running on my Pixel 6 Pro seems to have the screen calibration a bit out.

Wherever I touch on the screen, I seem to be triggering the screen widget about 0.5cm lower. For example, when I went to click on the "Shopping trolley" icon, I was getting either "Albums" or "Recordings" - there was just no way to click the shopping trolley, or any of the other icons on the top row.

Rebooted - no fix.

Finally I worked out I had to play the "V23 Play Me!" mix till it timed out after 5 minutes, then the "Buy Pro" icon popped up and I was able to buy it. Still a problem - I have to click on the "Clock" icon to bring up "Schemas", the "Wotja 23" icon to bring up "Albums" and so on. I'm not seeing this on any other app on the Pixel 6 Pro, so I assume it's a Wotja issue.

Any chance you guys could take a look at that? Not a huge impact as I'm on the iPad 99% of the time, but it's annoying not being able to save anything (as that icon is right at the top of the UI)

Update - I just checked W22 on the Pixel 6 Pro and it's having the same problem. I'm running Android 13 with the security patch that came out today, so right up to date - maybe there's something changed in Android 13? I can't find any other apps that are having the same problem, so maybe the Android UI library you're using needs an update?

• @Pierre118 said:

I use a Apple Pencil 2 to move the sliders, and that's working very good. Also the Pencil is a great tool to navigate within Wotja 23.

All of this.

I use the Pencil all the time with Wotja on the iPad. It’s a very natural and instinctive way to work for me, especially when working up synth and fx definitions. Something about having a pencil in my hand seems to help me focus. Literally something to chew on.

In fact I like it so much that, although in the studio I do everything on a desktop Mac, I got a cheap generic stylus to work with the rather old iPad I have in there (doesn’t support Pencil) and often use Sidecar to push the desktop app across to that so I can carry on drawing with sound in there as well.

• edited January 2023

@Masanga said:

@impete said:
    I'd love to see the old Koan Wander idea re-appear, but as a Wotja Wander :smile:

OK, I'll bite: what was Koan Wander? I dipped the occasional toe into Koan waters back in the day, but I don't think I've ever heard of this one…

Here is our announcement:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011221072828/http://www.sseyo.com/news/pr20011004.html

""Wander" is First Forwardable "Freesense" Sonified Email"

And here is the Guardian mentioning it!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2001/oct/11/internetnews.onlinesupplement3

"Songmail
    Ambient composer Brian Eno has been the first (and quite possibly the last) major artist to release a composition embedded in a piece of email. The work, called Wander, is in text-based Koan Vector Audio (KVA) format, and plays when the email is opened - providing you have also downloaded Sseyo's 421K Koan Plugin 8.20. Sseyo says typical tracks range from 500 bytes to 5K. You can get Wander by emailing Enos [email protected], listen to it on the web (after refreshing the page), or compose your own instead."

• For those who don't know, SSEYO is the company @imtim and yours truly formed ... a long time back .. where we created the precursor to the Wotja Music Engine, which was called Koan (which then got re-invented as Noatikl, and is now called the WME).

Pete

• edited January 2023

And here is a blast from 1998, looking at collaborative generative composition in a different way.

Koan^Oasis was another great idea of @imtim ... it was a Koan piece built-up in a web page, using the SSEYO Koan Plug-in JavaScript API.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990219161905/http://www.sseyo.com/koan^oasis/koan^oasis198/koan^oasis198.html

"S S E Y O | K o a n ^ o a s i s | 1 9 8 - World's 1st | Collaborative Virtual Generative Composition"

Each component within the Koan piece was pulled-in remotely, so as each composer who contributed it changed their "bit" it could potentially be different ever time you checked it out. @UMCorps also contributed, which I'd forgotten :smile:

The piece used both Koan rules and SoundFonts, all loaded remotely via the web page.

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/1997news.html

"Brian has contributed one of the elements for Koan^oasis 198, the world's first on-line collaborative Generative Music composition. Koan^oasis 198 uses SSEYO's Koan software -- which produces music which is non-identical every time it is played -- and includes contributions from 12 composers whose musical elements interact and harmonise with each other in real time as they play. Picking up a fallen coconut from one of the oasis' virtual palm trees and cracking it open on the edge of his DX7, Brian stated: "Koan^oasis is a kind of global music ecosystem. Each composer contributes a musical 'life-form' with its own character and behaviour, and the music is the rich, ever-changing ecology of interactions between the life-forms." Visit the SSEYO web-site to experience this milestone in Generative ambient music.

Other contributors to Koan^oasis 198 include Koanmeisters Tim Didymus (aka Koan Master), Kaon Koo and Mark Harrop. To hear Brian's element "Pulse 1e" coexisting in Koan^oasis 198, you'll need a PC (Pentium 120 or higher) with a Sound Blaster AWE soundcard, 32-bit Internet Explorer 3 (or higher) or Netscape 3 (or higher), the IKMC plug-in (a free download from SSEYO's site). If you don't have an AWE card, a SoundBlaster 32 gives acceptable results, and the EnoWeb's Yamaha SoftSynth at work did a pretty good job too."

• @monch1962 said:
    Not sure if I should mention it here in iOS land @imtim but the Android version of W23 running on my Pixel 6 Pro seems to have the screen calibration a bit out.

Wherever I touch on the screen, I seem to be triggering the screen widget about 0.5cm lower. For example, when I went to click on the "Shopping trolley" icon, I was getting either "Albums" or "Recordings" - there was just no way to click the shopping trolley, or any of the other icons on the top row.

Rebooted - no fix.

Finally I worked out I had to play the "V23 Play Me!" mix till it timed out after 5 minutes, then the "Buy Pro" icon popped up and I was able to buy it. Still a problem - I have to click on the "Clock" icon to bring up "Schemas", the "Wotja 23" icon to bring up "Albums" and so on. I'm not seeing this on any other app on the Pixel 6 Pro, so I assume it's a Wotja issue.

Any chance you guys could take a look at that? Not a huge impact as I'm on the iPad 99% of the time, but it's annoying not being able to save anything (as that icon is right at the top of the UI)

Update - I just checked W22 on the Pixel 6 Pro and it's having the same problem. I'm running Android 13 with the security patch that came out today, so right up to date - maybe there's something changed in Android 13? I can't find any other apps that are having the same problem, so maybe the Android UI library you're using needs an update?

Hi! Well, that is a weird one. Thanks for letting me know. Off the top of my head, I'd presume there is a JUCE bug that isn't accounting for some quirk of the Pixel 6 Pro. I've added this to the backlog. My first test will be to figure-out why I've not seen it on my test device (Samsung Galaxy tablet).

For those who aren't in the know, there is an overwhelming variety of different Android devices and operating system versions; and it is tough to keep on top of!

Best wishes, Pete

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Masanga said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Cheers strange pricing indeed if you don’t want to go all in.

Hi, and thanks for the input. We have just added a FAQ "Best Value W23 'Pro' - What is right for you?". This sets out our current range of options and hopefully makes it clearer why we have them. See: https://wotja.com/downloads/#pro-value

Hope that helps! atb, tim