Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 23: Generative Music by Intermorphic Ltd.

Comments

• @impete said:

@god said:

@Masanga said:
    hit you with a screaming goat.

@Masanga was kind enough to share this with me via a message. And the goat did make me jump! :smile:

Don't forget folks, mixes using the sample player can be shared easily, they're just plain text and can be mailed / DM'd and pasted info forums. The sample data is embedded in the mix!

Best to all, Pete

Wild!

• @UMCorps said:
    I honestly can't believe some of the audio this version is producing. I got distracted this afternoon while working on something else because the mix pasted to the end of this post started to happen. Whats insane is that the audio content for the entire piece is a single 7 second sample. And its been generating a shifting, constantly morphing soundtrack for several hours here now.
    I have never been able to get anywhere close to doing this sort of thing with any previous version.

Mark's mix includes the audio sample. So anybody with Wotja should be able to copy the mix to clipboard, and import it into Wotja; for any Wotja 23 version (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android...) and it'll sound as you'd expect.

I can vouch that I've been sitting here transfixed by this mix.

Pete

• @Gavinski said:
    Wild!

Some similar ideas to the old MOD formats, I guess! But with a modular synth and a music engine as well to lean on :smile:

Pete

• Alright, piano decay! Let’s get wild!

• Folks, here is some history most of you won't know about, back from Thursday 4 October 2001 ... more than 20 years ago!

https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/13255/brian-eno-s-email-composition-makes-history/

@imtim came up with the idea of Wander (which relied on our SSEYO Koan music engine and file format), and the sample player in Wotja is a continuation of that core idea - you can share mixes with your own custom samples, sound designs and music, and have them reworked via the web / forums.

Pete

• @UMCorps said:
    I honestly can't believe some of the audio this version is producing. I got distracted this afternoon while working on something else because the mix pasted to the end of this post started to happen. Whats insane is that the audio content for the entire piece is a single 7 second sample. And its been generating a shifting, constantly morphing soundtrack for several hours here now.

The reason it works is because I'm doing what I counselled against (sort of). If you set the sample player to use more than one instance of polyphony, although its less predictable, you enter the world of phase shift music where you have multiple instances of the same sample running out of phase to each other. So as they combine, the patterns they make shift around in unexpected ways.

Add pitch shift to that (which changes the length of the sample loop so the phase relationships also change) and wonderful things happen.

I have never been able to get anywhere close to doing this sort of thing with any previous version.

wotja://wj4UEsDBBQAAAAIAAAAIAAxNUEpagwAABcdAAAJAAAAbS5taXh0aWtsxVlrk6pKsv0rRp8P%2D06E2lXFe_o4EwiK2D5BfN2ZMBARUAQEfOCJ899vFdjd2rt3d5%2DYibh%2DoLIgyVyZWY9V8sfD7uHv__vHg4OvHCozZVCm2DIsP0gPZVR%2D8ILUjndhHLme9bjzzqm39R8jc5s8qt2FYgdd7wwXctfcPHazEu5UT2G6MR_KFLbDlR9%2DX593__j9EHhpKa39iO2jHS9_RLUfoFbln2Ctip4gQFwNVhmGSHytClkiCPgWbimqxpOGrtGkwS9wFBFQDeSPAW5_PP7j90fi5qFMAwyZhmUKgDKNMAKaIjfo8oObptHfHx99LyIBVK1w9_hPP92igSzQy8nJWe3GmYX843IDvK5On1Sv7i93veNc8Q_zC_DGY03pjBxvcKGfB8o5slpaZKJTRfJEZ9DSfLs1dMzJUFA3oqcqmrtSGoLqqZWBJID51AUDJ3RU%2DZzLquJvB7p6xj62s6nmYtkbbE7HlTKmVzL9rEoin8tSPZrLGI%2DnOnOlCWYj4Kkbmu9Qub8PfHe_6xt85tsKxslcv_qW3nx3dQD7QReqspr2LtGll4nnzshgrYvhrBQfLBWDbQdNuKSGnK40I5MydtZ0fFzJSe4jtzv6wId%2D40PKcWerydm_4s7lK%2D7sBve5yEUbYr_XXOTyz7nYNBzs4zO74M6uLH6lD%2D_1v7SPbvRJDO6M0qLVziDYPs1NL7vJjSd%2DEbNzE7PqdL1PMTF3mL6O%2DXw3FggW%2DXPs3VHjHo8kZp_jb2T3mNSvMd3nh7zzBabhuxyJp6_jMN6_843YZzfvdL_QtW51v6rbuX9bh0y8fJHT2zpfvpHTrPvevvwF_k3jHf5v5HSjvn_nO_Muu61374u1oifd6n6Vp7s5DXDMX9Uh63nv7H8jt707_CL2M3S%2DiuO23j1dpFTZ%2DCm38wleTxQhe82pr4VLahyYLW2HbSW2Xj8tqd7FnLRxDVRnqQgbE0HXIrWQ8z3raO1cZjkx8j2M2H%2DxiTHxHXSz5zl4pyU8gWbJhSMXvsziq4B33jID8A2WPGJgGbIcxyHIllmh_KCZwSrclVzcPJQ5TDEGnhmEpZVtmdmVN_z7z_IfD2kF5pTEArgB5QdMK_71r0C21%2DbBT6tBaJI9HLMT_Oh3e722rTQpmbUf8AcmAtc%2DJgMIO7jq4p0_SLeU0Ujken0o4p9aXKSm3gqthUN6Mwlf2kRaesxhiZrAnKTJel7vmXz3JKvLhZc2cW_XX3Ra8XkvncDZ4zb1s%2DIzHQmFM9Bn9OHiQjPxdtuaa66tL8y4DrajVr_lzuh2YMyOJ%2DRTChfL6_1xPVqnh30Kjmsxnam7ymAmh%2DsRaK0z4dKujGfSRHTjIzPjouXOtGaSZbhQirzNiYvG3aHjb6XRqNGaK92kAyNdjichbY66w_GUkr0LPzo6yaK9l56ZiWn6YC8y6UkbJWdd5NF67Gs6Z8Spf5Ges5bd6Lq2ZAUXvyJDPRAP6UVTddA0s4CTVWuhdP26lgAp87dB3zjMtK0_XW25YaAnlJDSjK2242E_HZrSaLLpGUNdU7XWUOrH9i6igstiHWajQ%2D_YjEFy6S3EdKifGiTXBsm1dL24hsu2BjTpKSKuh5SXKf_VxZvfbW1wPZt150WnIfZOxJZx1cdjqRhNxSiCiCu_DalPaW2vGDUL3bZXj7q9P9iBZZcqpcbB8r2VbQal_8Hi395GIhQKppuUfExtCb%2Dl8Fi8o76p85iYu8i3I9_M7Jjo5PQWEBrL4AYQsfYyX54gD7iCA2N6DEg3V%2DAhqNEA5DfoGpu3sEZRDEPTTwyChSqqQdIIRY_PnbCwuEnV7mLPp10R%2DaRd0gclPUeZPBZzc%2D05Jb4aOs6rBcCyuT0aFA0qGroG85atcRxDKDxduGUKNQbVeDbXYIhmLrA1ligyV3x5mIDD%2DoTRv%2DRt7fnpS7oQjpgkhKnxPEcElpgCRY4QDYsjAnhCgBZwbl4PBvk1XxI%2DWDHuqrT5UfJwBctViqaeKNwwwhODGwrdYiqOMejsE1jXpLOkPlWazUV8p5oDYwE5qdCAJSIudlUAiIj0mwLzJuLEYse5iJNR5VmKiDg9VY6FRMSnIp6rsiw%2DK%2DFk4vuQFYhI_DGIaEOUi8QGJP5YiiYi8SfQuULur1Ag_gDMReKPFnKRzwHldgUCiCPeEPHGCgQ8ibcKcwuIeBPIaGUR9WoMEW%2DUkN8l3tgcJCLeOCE3RrwJFE9E4g1xHBHJma_IBD7XMZBleeIOV5QRBIyQyKjG4FrnkeK5Q%2DFk8cQ2Ph_CXJchA4SlWHJqZCmOjFeW4osmnw1sMWxZuiganc8UlqaKHl30mBq8LXfkpZabuN46_XneVuDNzKVpCl1HY4UDADKQKebkrbViiKFylWWE73qB8KflgTjhEMtwiP6VDzyMGYp9wq4gffuUTHBv7RVursOXzC2qKHu%2D4FSL6QWKs_idcXx2jmI7ScKXWYlnIS4hfT3JF6_ytQpTLV6uUG9HdDzbfC%2DwS%2DRCVsp3029l48WxsIoXkqtFPALZ638DFI8Km3isMjglVfCtwJgqR_O_Dux1jSCo_jqFSFPJbtnDhig2T_JHFCIYt3s63xMbAxBnzKWVdLocmugdtqHsJXHveeI6DVdOGk9cc5u5UtYSqF6spBuNaSgpyx%2DPPs3JYq8pS%2DyyUjeA9Gy5%2DrMBqGi8d3qwZ1KxUTfFTatuSy049%2D1jk_ebK9jpNkA_tEbzeVuQm_3J7ux0_K413LX5S7jXK9K0r8BnYRvVqak3Na1FGFu7WWMzNfaVNWgFVipNm%2D1zYnHLabBSlKA_tQ78bFFB4nOnu5QWk3WUsrDZW1nT5nTRGZj93m4zQw48ZF4SXc5SmFTizvE4iQZLNFhni7S1WnrD%2Dj4dZh1Dl3wz5IzhhhIlU9GaZ241PjTPlWmHF%2DrnlmV0N8idcPsKgHTLDM6I7XXndKXRUdb16Z4Vt3qWNbIjZl1zfbhxrK1g7u2ZzIj0adaez9dR22mrZr8ZhxNmk%2Dhbjx3qs1A3ZkbqdVxzvM%2DouZ4aU2_e8pznqJMatrhxzAHOQYieW%2DIQNCarOOalzmCVjY_99c7bTlbMIe6M1rG9D_ZmLGeLiJkkq57tpqOBOwFJ4K1HQtSunPwPaU68HAYutcUUpW6Jp_%2DA5jy_6ONRiq5M%2DpXxwP8HxkN_l_FwnzGeKmYA3%2DM84JbugDu6A79JdxBVkuMwwGRHM1deWEpSHJ1V8sNTSfqC88B3pIcBH1EeGrxnPLneB4wHLzskbzer7KO_Dn%2DUYizlmUM8qFHFMshR%2DDWKznc3AaeIJ02eCswuyKopAKro0UXDFA1bvMAVPb7oCRgSXhMFnGO%2DECC58z1A1_9sUb7tIZ7Kl1fE5_HmElPsB4jH%2DwGmB%2Dx_BfALXniFi9GWLLyl_kaW9DL8a9h5Qsg%2Dhn6DnPsk4ajAD_86fgDeIvgJM54%2DYfIGl30ht8XWyPPFCIPMy8jC1vI0UL9BJOA9n2fRz0bfsWmuYNMCB65smnpl04h7z6Z_MlawDHzGrz6xH6b9Y28Y3pW8U9yrO0LjrvHhNYBnXr2SkOjfyKT60EWBgb979hc5_y8_SqDqdYyA6v0nCVh8krieN6o098tPEl_wnV8RFkJ5XpbB_zphqffVeue4cghhEb9HWJqL%2DVw9hsNxqDUbQ03mzBZQmCgyoLfdhi7T4bkds5mcXabRIISlHcz9M9q5rqYsL%2DOuVJ9KsZGutmNtftK52Qy2x_HWqfes9koP9GVz7e8HkzUFdVUcy2dFMQwjnlUu9V06A95WUecigttTY%2DGgrj9rQ92TkkS_OONwFRiGrRtSLDvH7iCV6Nhygram7eJ%2DClUzPPf2ctpa4Cyoemc84eRFrzU51JeBwnT3rIn8WFMF_VkYb6aQ0e3Z0JnsDweuYa37gsJVBmv94jWCOt_UFG0o9Wfh0Ld1y2tMaHE%2DBOHhMAUblAigwm30QV1Wp%2DFYcQeL6Rm1si6iEipaKVALn00I5GY6NLJOQ9w3Mq7lBL3xaNJg3Kjd9HiD0utai91kwVYTL9S5b3fb7HTQ0LdWY7XVg0WvqU1nTp0N%2DPYOLQdsPTF4MA7riuydHabZ0zBX6dfdjTbnBMo79OfPGseD02jSG3vRfs2jvUBr42WUHrdJNLhk%2D3XiKW64ay3t3rK784QPycrIE3WOmhGyMvyPyEob3JEVmfzh90pW0AtZKbrUfZe%2D7zL3Xfa%2Dy913%2DfuucN%2DF4F0fvvX__ef_AVBLAQIAABQAAAAIAAAAIAAxNUEpagwAABcdAAAJAAAAAAAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAABtLm1peHRpa2xQSwUGAAAAAAEAAQA3AAAAkQwAAAAA

So @impete I copied this and tried to paste in Wotja and got an error message saying update to the latest version - but I am on the latest version, any ideas?

• @Gavinski said:

So @impete I copied this and tried to paste in Wotja and got an error message saying update to the latest version - but I am on the latest version, any ideas?

Hi Gav! You're using Wotja 22 Pro, according to the screenshot. You need to use Wotja 23!

Hoping that helps, Pete

• Oops - I accidentally opened wotja 22 instead of 23, will try again

• @Gavinski said:
    Oops - I accidentally opened wotja 22 instead of 23, will try again

:smile:

• @impete hey I got some midi files imported into Wotja from various apps like Piano Motifs and all play nice, and with the fx. Can I use midi in other places, perhaps in rules somehow?

• @god said:
    @impete hey I got some midi files imported into Wotja from various apps like Piano Motifs and all play nice, and with the fx. Can I use midi in other places, perhaps in rules somehow?

Hi! That is a nice idea, but I've not had a MIDI importer in our apps since (I think!) Noatikl 2 (or thereabouts). I've captured it as an idea again, maybe as a basis for analysis / generation of rules (also something I've done in the past!) or patterns. I seem to recall Noatikl let you create a Noatikl piece "inspired" by a MIDI file. I've probably still got that code in the code base somewhere, albeit inactive!

Best wishes, Pete

• @Masanga said:
    I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about how amazing this version is. I was one of those dolts who never saw the point of a sample player when the app already had a fabulous modular hybrid synth with wavetable and soundfont management, and then after years of trying and failing to recreate Klaus Wiese singing-bowl overdubs in-app, I gave in with W23 and sampled a few seconds of one of his originals, chucked it in the Wotja folder, and now every drone mix instantly sounds like the greatest thing ever. It’s an absolute disgrace that it’s this easy, and no excuse at all that the new filter options offer scratching posts for serious nerd claws, since @UMCorps' videos do an irresponsibly brilliant job of demystifying them, as a rewatch of his earlier video on the RX2L reverb similarly does for the masterclass gallery of new presets for that crack cocaine of an FX module.

I have now largely stopped listening to anything outside the app, including recorded music, the world, family, and whatever other humans are trying to say to me. My working day is constantly interrupted by intrusive thoughts about what I could be doing in Wotja instead, and my nights by sudden wakes with ideas that I then have to get the iPad from beside my bed to try or I'll never sleep again. And why oh why is it so wretchedly stable on my creaky old 2016 9.7" Pro running iOS 13.5? The last couple of years' versions have been mercifully crashy on that ancient hardware, but this one is shockingly solid. And don't get me started on the new single-app release model, with its temptingly-priced new Tip Jar 30-day unlock option which Apple has taken its eye badly off the ball in failing to prohibit. Will nobody think of the children?

This morning our friend @cooksferryqueen suggested a deep ambient mix that would transport you into a state of profound relaxation and then hit you with a screaming goat. No sooner said than implemented and regretted. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for allowing this apocalyptic sonic superweapon out into the world and the reckless hands of this forum's most unhinged musical terrorists.

Beautiful post! Do u have a text link for this mix you mention in the last paragraph?

@UMCorps - this is great - maybe I could make a short YouTube vid showing how easy it is to share, copy and paste these kind of things? Of course I could credit you in whatever way you’d like, with links etc too, if you’d be cool with that.

This way of sharing is pretty mind-blowing stuff!

• @Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:
    I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about how amazing this version is. I was one of those dolts who never saw the point of a sample player when the app already had a fabulous modular hybrid synth with wavetable and soundfont management, and then after years of trying and failing to recreate Klaus Wiese singing-bowl overdubs in-app, I gave in with W23 and sampled a few seconds of one of his originals, chucked it in the Wotja folder, and now every drone mix instantly sounds like the greatest thing ever. It’s an absolute disgrace that it’s this easy, and no excuse at all that the new filter options offer scratching posts for serious nerd claws, since @UMCorps' videos do an irresponsibly brilliant job of demystifying them, as a rewatch of his earlier video on the RX2L reverb similarly does for the masterclass gallery of new presets for that crack cocaine of an FX module.

I have now largely stopped listening to anything outside the app, including recorded music, the world, family, and whatever other humans are trying to say to me. My working day is constantly interrupted by intrusive thoughts about what I could be doing in Wotja instead, and my nights by sudden wakes with ideas that I then have to get the iPad from beside my bed to try or I'll never sleep again. And why oh why is it so wretchedly stable on my creaky old 2016 9.7" Pro running iOS 13.5? The last couple of years' versions have been mercifully crashy on that ancient hardware, but this one is shockingly solid. And don't get me started on the new single-app release model, with its temptingly-priced new Tip Jar 30-day unlock option which Apple has taken its eye badly off the ball in failing to prohibit. Will nobody think of the children?

This morning our friend @cooksferryqueen suggested a deep ambient mix that would transport you into a state of profound relaxation and then hit you with a screaming goat. No sooner said than implemented and regretted. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for allowing this apocalyptic sonic superweapon out into the world and the reckless hands of this forum's most unhinged musical terrorists.

Beautiful post! Do u have a text link for this mix you mention in the last paragraph?

@UMCorps - this is great - maybe I could make a short YouTube vid showing how easy it is to share, copy and paste these kind of things? Of course I could credit you in whatever way you’d like, with links etc too, if you’d be cool with that.

Could maybe share the original sample too, that could be very eye-opening for people

• @Gavinski said:
    Could maybe share the original sample too, that could be very eye-opening for people

The sample is in there, just waiting for you to save to your Documents folder!

Select the sample player; press the "Export source data..." button!

Pete

• Actually, in this case, I've just realised that it so happens the sample player uses a built-in sample :smile: but it could just as easily be your own sample.

Pete

• The sample in question is a mere 82,391 bytes of Ogg data...

• @Gavinski said:

Knock yourself out! I'm videoed out for a few weeks after the pre Christmas marathon :)

The original sample is in Sample Player Resources pak which is why the mix file is so small because its referencing the file location not bundling it into the mix.

It's copyright to Intermorphic so I don't think its possible to share it outside of a mix. But I'm sure Pete will advise

• @UMCorps said:
    It's copyright to Intermorphic so I don't think its possible to share it outside of a mix. But I'm sure Pete will advise

You're very welcome to export and play with it in the context of Wotja :smile:

Pete

• @Gavinski said:

I don't suppose you're this Gavinski https://www.youtube.com/@GavinskisTutorials - but if so, your tutorials are amazing!

Pete

• @impete said:

@Gavinski said:

I don't suppose you're this Gavinski https://www.youtube.com/@GavinskisTutorials - but if so, your tutorials are amazing!

Pete

That’s me, thanks Pete! Yeah, I normally speak to Tim via email, so me and you are not acquainted yet.

Could you maybe run us briefly through the process of adding external samples into the app? Took a quick look at the sample player section of the manual but still unsure. There is no way to load wav files? So we should convert to ogg? Then would wotja appear as a destination when we click share on the sample in files app?

• @Gavinski said:

Very cool to make your acquaintance :smile:

Could you maybe run us briefly through the process of adding external samples into the app? Took a quick look at the sample player section of the manual but still unsure. There is no way to load wav files? So we should convert to ogg? Then would wotja appear as a destination when we click share on the sample in files app?

Yeah, we too a decision to keep mixes using samples as tiny as possible (to make sure we minimised memory footprint, and make mixes with custom samples much faster to load), so decided only to support Ogg files. We balanced that by adding an Ogg encoder...!

I've asked @imtim to explain more on adding samples in! But yeah, basically - just copy them in to your Wotja Documents folder, and Wotja will be able to see them.

Best wishes,

Pete

• @impete said:

@Gavinski said:

Very cool to make your acquaintance :smile:

Yeah, we too a decision to keep mixes using samples as tiny as possible (to make sure we minimised memory footprint, and make mixes with custom samples much faster to load), so decided only to support Ogg files. We balanced that by adding an Ogg encoder...!

I've asked @imtim to explain more on adding samples in! But yeah, basically - just copy them in to your Wotja Documents folder, and Wotja will be able to see them.

Best wishes,

Pete

Mission accomplished, oh Lordy!

• @Gavinski said:

Kind of fun, isn't it?! :smile:

I'd love to see the old Koan Wander idea re-appear, but as a Wotja Wander :smile:

I occasionally mention to forum users, and Wotja fans, how easy it is to share mixes.

Maybe the penny will drop with Wotja 23!

Pete

• edited January 2023

By the way, I have had a lot of fun while creating the sample player, with modulation of the "Direction" property. There is something quite transfixing about it.

Mark posted a You Tube video demonstrating playing with the Direction property a couple of days back, using a short recording of John Cage speaking. I've been lucky enough to listen to his mix on my test system, and the mix really is something else.

Pete

• @impete said:

@Gavinski said:

Kind of fun, isn't it?! :smile:

I'd love to see the old Koan Wander idea re-appear, but as a Wotja Wander :smile:

I occasionally mention to forum users, and Wotja fans, how easy it is to share mixes.

Maybe the penny will drop with Wotja 23!

Pete

I think this could be the year that wotja goes big! Great work guys!

• @impete said:
    By the way, I have had a lot of fun while creating the sample player, with modulation of the "Direction" property. There is something quite transfixing about it.

Mark posted a You Tube video demonstrating playing with the Direction property a couple of days back, using a short recording of John Cage speaking. I've been lucky enough to listen to his mix on my test system, and the mix really is something else.

Pete

Can't post that as a text mix because it uses an external sample so there is too much text to load into a forum post.

Link to the file is in the attached zip

• edited January 2023

@Gavinski said:
    Do u have a text link for this mix you mention in the last paragraph?

I'll share it by direct message – it includes a third-party sample (not counting the goat, who probably won't sue), and unlike @UMCorps' incredible demo it uses external samples and so is a bit of a wall of text.

• @Gavinski said:
    I think this could be the year that wotja goes big! Great work guys!

Thanks!

If you could let @imtim know how you copied-in the ogg files, that'd be useful, as he's suffering finger trouble with this right now :lol:

Pete

• I notice @impete that when dragging the blue sliders movement is very coarse - can’t make any fine adjustments and need to end up entering the exact value I want via keyboard. Thoughts?

• @Gavinski said:
    I notice @impete that when dragging the blue sliders movement is very coarse - can’t make any fine adjustments and need to end up entering the exact value I want via keyboard. Thoughts?

Yeah, fair comment. Sliders remain a constant work in progress! If there are any particular ones that are bugging you, please share via the forum; and I'll take a look in due course...

Pete