Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A good way to make Breakcore drums?

Hi,

Breakcore music always got me intrigued, the same with Drum and Bass, but Breakcore goes a level more complicated in the sense of drums. There are a lot more tricks applied, such as short repeated slices where the pitch goes up, or stretched or filtered or bitrate reduction. Often other kind of drums are used, mixed in, like hardcore or stabs.

Example:

I think of several ways to make this kind of glitch breaks:

• The traditional way in a daw, that involves LOTS of sample loop mashup with cut and paste and edit every bit with pitch, stretch, filter etc. Eventually resample and mashup more.
  • A tracker. Thats a more traditional approach and where it all started (Venetian Snares), but that's a learning curve and rewiring my brain, haha.
  • Make use of midi-tools and beat slicers (like Sector) with arpeggios, random on/off filtering, polyrhythms etc. to fire off and record and keep the good parts of it.

What would be the best DAW to easily cut/paste/edit samples?
In AUM, what combination of tools could be used to mash up loops and record it.

Ned Rush made use of Ableton the mash-up loops with the midi-arpeggiator. I wonder if this kind of workflow could be made on iPad. (A fun video to watch)

Comments

• I can't comment on which DAW is right for you. NS2 and FLSM would be my choices. FLSM isn't AUv3 compatible (yet, it's on the roadmap though), but FLSM not only has Slicer but also has an IAP with old school breakbeats that can be used in Slicer. But NS2 is AUv3 compatible, and if you're on an iPad, you can use the Splat-To-Clat drum rompler which has both drum kits and drum chops.

• Gonna think on some options here. Sunvox would be a first choice.... :lol: but let's skip any brain rewire for now :tongue:

Drambo's flexi sampler could be a good one. You already mentioned Sector... So I would suggest Reslice and Egoist too.

Some options that I'm not 100% sure how easy would be (but is doable for sure), is using Beatmaker, Nanostudio, Elastic Drums, Groove Rider, Hammerhead, Patterning and Samplr.

You could even play your slices with Blocs Wave, but as I recall, no pitch shifting. Maybe koala too?

• I am aware of the slicer in FLSM. It's the same approach alike REX files, but i don't think you can alter the slices with a midi-generator.

• Nice, I love his videos!

Koala sampler is a simple way to do it. Very easy to chop the break up, timestretch hits, resample snare rolls with the note repeat function. Then point any arpeggiator at koala in AUM and go nuts.

If you’re after more precision then Drambo is worth a look. It’s like a tracker with a step sequencer interface.

• @senhorlampada said:
    Gonna think on some options here. Sunvox would be a first choice.... :lol: but let's skip any brain rewire for now :tongue:

Drambo's flexi sampler could be a good one. You already mentioned Sector... So I would suggest Reslice and Egoist too.

Some options that I'm not 100% sure how easy would be (but is doable for sure), is using Beatmaker, Nanostudio, Elastic Drums, Groove Rider, Hammerhead, Patterning and Samplr.

You could even play your slices with Blocs Wave, but as I recall, no pitch shifting. Maybe koala too?

Yes, Sunfox has the traditional tracker approach. Maybe something wizardry can be accomplished with midi when used as AUv3.
    Beatmaker 3 can do pitch on a sample in the timeline, but never explored a way to put effects driven by midi.

• BM3 could be used if it allowed control over sample-start when sequencing…

Most of the tricks used in the video are classic abuses of Note Repeat and Sample Offset commands found in most trackers.

Drambo’s Flexi Sampler could be used to re-create most of the effects. (Ex. Saw LFO to modulate sample start offset with fast note repeats and graphical envelope to control the frequency-sweeps etc. etc.).

I’d most likely end up using Renoise or SunVox for these kind of effects.

• @FordTimeLord said:
    Nice, I love his videos!

Koala sampler is a simple way to do it. Very easy to chop the break up, timestretch hits, resample snare rolls with the note repeat function. Then point any arpeggiator at koala in AUM and go nuts.

If you’re after more precision then Drambo is worth a look. It’s like a tracker with a step sequencer interface.

I dit some experimentation with the drabo flexi sampler. This is what i got so far (triggering the sampler with Euclidean).

• Someone has made a SunVox template…

GitHub links for all the files in the comments…

• edited December 2022

@Identor said:

@FordTimeLord said:
    Nice, I love his videos!

I dit some experimentation with the drabo flexi sampler. This is what i got so far (triggering the sampler with Euclidean).

Sounds really good, not sure it’s Breakcore though. Have you tried just feeding a chord into an arp and shifting the midi notes of the chord about?

The Sunvox template above sounds perfect for it though, might grab that!

• @Samu said:
    Someone has made a SunVox template…

GitHub links for all the files in the comments…

That is cool, but sunvox is a bit "dive-into" for the moment, but also a good tracker approach.

• @FordTimeLord said:

@Identor said:

@FordTimeLord said:
    Nice, I love his videos!

Sounds really good, not sure it’s Breakcore though. Have you tried just feeding a chord into an arp and shifting the midi notes of the chord about?

It sure is not Breakcore, but it's a way to use apps in an unorthodox way, and maybe an insight to do stuff in that manner.

• Maybe i should dive into Drambo to make a Breakcore Machine, where effects in a chain could be altered with LFO/graph and triggered with midi...

• @Identor said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@Identor said:

@FordTimeLord said:
    Nice, I love his videos!

It sure is not Breakcore, but it's a way to use apps in an unorthodox way, and maybe an insight to do stuff in that manner.

Yeah, fair play! I picked up Strokes with Xmas vouchers this year. It’s really good pointed at drums but I’ve been spending more time using it as a crazy synth arp 😀

• great video example , I like this jungle vibe of 90th

• @Identor said:

This is where 'genre classification' is nuts. It's the same type of effect but slightly different samples :sunglasses:

• I wasn’t trying to gatekeep

• @Identor said:
    I am aware of the slicer in FLSM. It's the same approach alike REX files, but i don't think you can alter the slices with a midi-generator.

I thought the slices could be played back individually. But like I said, Splat-to-Clat in NS2 should cover your breakcore sample needs and loops. I just used it to produce Drill. That said, Drambo is always a great solution.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Identor said:
    I am aware of the slicer in FLSM. It's the same approach alike REX files, but i don't think you can alter the slices with a midi-generator.

I thought the slices could be played back individually. But like I said, Splat-to-Clat in NS2 should cover your breakcore sample needs and loops. I just used it to produce Drill. That said, Drambo is always a great solution.

I shall investigate it, thank you :)

• edited December 2022

Hi @Identor, have you took a look at Glitchcore by Alex Matheu? I don’t have it and my experience with such effects is very limited but it seems useful in this kind of production . Another tool that come to my mind is Scatterbrain by the Bos 😛, and it has multi-out..

• @Identor said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Identor said:

Cool! :) Plenty of vids on Youtube about it. The set up is a little confusing as you have to download the sounds in standalone mode once you purchase the app, but once the sounds are downloaded, you're good to go. :) Pro tip - Splat to Clat does utilise long presses to access various functions, which I think is handy so I don't accidentally access menus when tapping out a beat.

• @WilfredWelfare said:
    Hi @Identor, have you took a look at Glitchcore by Alex Matheu? I don’t have it and my experience with such effects is very limited but it seems useful in this kind of production . Another tool that come to my mind is Scatterbrain by the Bos 😛, and it has multi-out..

I have tried both to experiment glitch and stutter but the outcome was not satisfied enough :)

Example with a synth sound:

Experiment with Glithcore and channel outputs controlled with Atom.

Another one:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Identor said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Identor said:

Cool! :) Plenty of vids on Youtube about it. The set up is a little confusing as you have to download the sounds in standalone mode once you purchase the app, but once the sounds are downloaded, you're good to go. :) Pro tip - Splat to Clat does utilise long presses to access various functions, which I think is handy so I don't accidentally access menus when tapping out a beat.

I have watched some video's. It's a good drum app with lots of tweaking possibilities, but i think i'm going to route where you can trigger slices in a loop (Drambo, sEGments etc.). Or maybe i should dive into JammPro again.

• @Identor are you using Atom to control AUM Levels?
    I'm kind of slow to catch these things, that's why i'm asking :lol:

I want to dabble with glitch-hop and similar stuff, and was thinking of ways to make changes between different bass sounds.
    Before, I did cuts on the sequences and waves. But you just gave me the awesome idea to keep all sequences and waves full and experiment with cutting the levels... That way I can experiment more before commiting :love:

• @senhorlampada said:
    @Identor are you using Atom to control AUM Levels?
    I'm kind of slow to catch these things, that's why i'm asking :lol:

I want to dabble with glitch-hop and similar stuff, and was thinking of ways to make changes between different bass sounds.
    Before, I did cuts on the sequences and waves. But you just gave me the awesome idea to keep all sequences and waves full and experiment with cutting the levels... That way I can experiment more before commiting :love:

In AUM, when you have set-up multiple channels, Go to menu >> Midi Ctrl >> Channels.
    Tap the channel you want and tap channel controls. There you can assign CC's to channel controls.
    Tap the volume and switch from CC to Note and also assig a note to it. You can also set the volume when the note is played.
    Open Atom as a Midi instrument, and in the midi-routing matrix of AUM, connect Atom to MIDI Control.
    In atom you can play a note that was assigned to the volume control.
    Every time that note is played, the volume goes up.

• I wonder no one mentioned Loopmix. Honestly, I am a little pissed off by the developers approach towards iOS apps (they port it just to work, but neglect a lot of touch-control details), but still it’s IMHO one of the most straightforward solutions for various re-shuffling, re-pitching, re-versing, re-triggerrin, etc of inidivudal loop slices.
    Someone already mentioned SugarBytes Egoist, which is quite similar, with some more instruments other than loop player/slicer/manger, maybe not as focused to one thing as Loopmix, but also useable.
    Then also as a separate effector, Effectrix is interesting since it allows you to sequence various unique effects + automate some settings, for even wilder processing.
    Also Drambo is not a bad choice, only it’s not working so well with pure audio, so it’s a bit less straightforward - you need to work with notes that are sliced (probably with Flexi sampler), which may be harder to follow, but now with Punch in FX and Looper you can too get the results you’re looking for.
    Oh, and don’t forget Venetian Snares is using quite an odd time signatures like 3/7 :tongue: Not sure if any sane person wants to go this way… :smiley:

• @skrat said:
    I wonder no one mentioned Loopmix. Honestly, I am a little pissed off by the developers approach towards iOS apps (they port it just to work, but neglect a lot of touch-control details), but still it’s IMHO one of the most straightforward solutions for various re-shuffling, re-pitching, re-versing, re-triggerrin, etc of inidivudal loop slices.
    Someone already mentioned SugarBytes Egoist, which is quite similar, with some more instruments other than loop player/slicer/manger, maybe not as focused to one thing as Loopmix, but also useable.
    Then also as a separate effector, Effectrix is interesting since it allows you to sequence various unique effects + automate some settings, for even wilder processing.
    Also Drambo is not a bad choice, only it’s not working so well with pure audio, so it’s a bit less straightforward - you need to work with notes that are sliced (probably with Flexi sampler), which may be harder to follow, but now with Punch in FX and Looper you can too get the results you’re looking for.
    Oh, and don’t forget Venetian Snares is using quite an odd time signatures like 3/7 :tongue: Not sure if any sane person wants to go this way… :smiley:

I have tried Loopmix and see how far i could get. I found it too limited in what i had in mind. It is at it best for drum/percussion grooves on top of a base drum pattern (4 on the floor). I "mis"-used it with drone loops in combination with a midi-sequencer that triggers the notes under the Remixes section to get more randomness. The output was too cold and some fx (FAC Alteza for example) glued it all together.
    Maybe Turnado could be a good option instead of Effectrix. I should examine what can be controlled by MIDI.

• edited December 2022

+1 for SunVox.

You can glitch and chop as much as you desire.

I don't have any experience with breakcore, but make loads of jungle with it, and imagine there is some crossover with the production techniques.

I was chopping breaks within a couple of hours of first using the app with no previous tracker experience. (Although to be fair, my choppage is fairly simple).

One example

Edit - just listened to the vsnares example, much easier to do all those edits in a tracker than midI roll style DAW.

Totally doable in SunVox. In theory anyway, good break chopping skills take time to master.

• Rollin good vibe!

• @Identor
    Awesome, mate. You made it even easier this way :wink:
    Thanks for the tip on the levels + note workflow

@rollin
    Great example, mate. Loved your track :heart:

• edited December 2022

Much appreciated @szczyp and @senhorlampada
    :mrgreen: