Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.5 and Holiday Season Sale available (ending Jan 9, 2023)

Comments

• @Simon said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    I also think that being rude to Lars is very poor behaviour and is the kind of thing that happens all too often in this forum and is what keeps numerous developers away from it. So I’ll say what everyone else ought to be saying, thank you Lars and thank you Steinberg.

+1.

Absolutely.

• @Simon said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    I also think that being rude to Lars is very poor behaviour and is the kind of thing that happens all too often in this forum and is what keeps numerous developers away from it. So I’ll say what everyone else ought to be saying, thank you Lars and thank you Steinberg.

+1.

You gentlemen will surely have noticed that in many (most?) cases they're just attention-seeking hissy fits, probably born of a real issue but coupled with the complaining skills of a toddler. They usually go like this:

Member: My problem still hasn't been fixed. Cubasis sucks! You guys are worthless. Asking for money for this crap is stealing. I paid for this POS!!! [you paid a total of 24 bucks, on a sale, two years ago, the editor]

Lars: Thank you for your feedback. Could you please send us a description or video, so we can help you.

Member: Sent you a link in DM. Hope it helps. You guys are great. Apologies for being perhaps a bit harsh before. Cubasis is great, I use it all the time. Thank you for this update!

...Not that it makes it any better or more justified, but realistically it's probably a part of Lars' job description by now to deal with these things in a professional manner. And he's doing a neat job, so kudos to him.

@Samu said:
    sometimes a bit of 'spanking' is really needed :sunglasses:

Counterpoint: No, it isn't. 🤝

• @ervin said:

@Simon said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

+1.

You gentlemen will surely have noticed that in many (most?) cases they're just attention-seeking hissy fits, probably born of a real issue but coupled with the complaining skills of a toddler. They usually go like this:

Member: My problem still hasn't been fixed. Cubasis sucks! You guys are worthless. Asking for money for this crap is stealing. I paid for this POS!!! [you paid a total of 24 bucks, on a sale, two years ago, the editor]

Lars: Thank you for your feedback. Could you please send us a description or video, so we can help you.

Member: Sent you a link in DM. Hope it helps. You guys are great. Apologies for being perhaps a bit harsh before. Cubasis is great, I use it all the time. Thank you for this update!

...Not that it makes it any better or more justified, but realistically it's probably a part of Lars' job description by now to deal with these things in a professional manner. And he's doing a neat job, so kudos to him.

@Samu said:

This is too funny. Recently, I challenged a guy in another forum who was talking to someone in a very unpleasant and unnecessary manner. He was telling this chap his beats sucked ass and were not fire like his. I was sure this must be some really young guy so I went easy you know, I figured he had a little growing up left to do, but when I checked out the guys profile, he was retirement age. It’s both sad and amusing how people will behave whilst hiding behind a keyboard and a handle.

• I'm weighing picking up Cubasis 3 in this sale. I'd primarily see this as my mixing and mastering environment for compositions and recordings made in AUM or Drambo (and perhaps imported from a Tascam Model 24, if I can swing that in 2023). I wouldn't be using this as my primary environment, but rather to get my projects from elsewhere the rest of the way.

My goals are simply to have recordings that are adequate for sharing - I'm not attempting to be Daft Punk. Am I barking up the right tree with Cubasis 3 for this purpose?

• Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your feedback so far, which is greatly appreciated by the Cubasis team!!
    Please note that the reported issues are being evaluated and we hope to provide further feedback soon.

Stay safe
    & thanks again,
    Lars

• @suboptimal said:
    I'm weighing picking up Cubasis 3 in this sale. I'd primarily see this as my mixing and mastering environment for compositions and recordings made in AUM or Drambo (and perhaps imported from a Tascam Model 24, if I can swing that in 2023). I wouldn't be using this as my primary environment, but rather to get my projects from elsewhere the rest of the way.

My goals are simply to have recordings that are adequate for sharing - I'm not attempting to be Daft Punk. Am I barking up the right tree with Cubasis 3 for this purpose?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'd like something that I can use in place of my computer when I want to record stuff from my rig and do some basic arrangements, or mixing/mastering.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

I am guilty of that, esp. against Steinberg (not against @LFS )

This comes from the time where the last Cubasis 2 update broke it for me, while Cubasis 3 was very buggy.
    I cannot even remember the details.

Also, it comes from the fact that long requested features or fixes never seem to get added.
    The latest update was promising, so I started to use Cubasis again.

If money is the problem for Steinberg here, they could go the WorkingCopy / Loopy Pro license, @LFS
    I gladly pay for major updates!

• Is there a good overview which kind of compressors, EQs, reverbs and the types they're emulating (VCA, Opto, Diode, Plate Spring etc.) are included and available as extensions? is there a SSL style compressor with auto release?

• @Rob_Timeless said:
    Is there a good overview which kind of compressors, EQs, reverbs and the types they're emulating (VCA, Opto, Diode, Plate Spring etc.) are included and available as extensions? is there a SSL style compressor with auto release?

https://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubasis/Cubasis_3_Web_Help/EF_Rack.html

• @slicetwo said:
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'd like something that I can use in place of my computer when I want to record stuff from my rig and do some basic arrangements, or mixing/mastering.

The more I study this question the more I think I'd just be throwing money at another tool rather than working out how to get the most from the tools I already have. Although AUM has limitations, with all the nice apps I have I might be able to make it do what I need without Cubasis...just might be more work.

• @suboptimal said:

@slicetwo said:

The more I study this question the more I think I'd just be throwing money at another tool rather than working out how to get the most from the tools I already have. Although AUM has limitations, with all the nice apps I have I might be able to make it do what I need without Cubasis...just might be more work.

The key point of Cubasis vs something less DAW-like for me is quite literally the Digital Audio Workstation aspect - recording and playback of audio tracks. I’m sure without that aspect hooking up MIDI sequencing in AUM would be fine and dandy.

• @suboptimal said:

@slicetwo said:

I own a Model12, I intended to record on it but have found I’d rather work with loops so I usually go for loopy pro lately. A DAW like Cubasis (or Zenbeats, Auria, they all have pros and cons…) IMO is needed if you want to do some more serious mixing and arranging, I don’t think you’d be throwing out the money.

• @suboptimal said:

@slicetwo said:

All of us have different needs when it comes to apps. It depends what you’re aiming for. For me, I need to complete, mix and master tracks. I inverted a lot of time and made videos about trying to use AUM as a DAW when Cubasis 3 first came out and was not really ready for release. Using LK and multitrack I was able to do it but it was so much harder than doing it in a DAW. It took ages and was fiddly. Then, you can mix but you can’t render, only in real time so then you need an app to trim and fade with. Mastering is possible in AUM though with enough really good plugins. But all these things are 100 times easier in Cubasis 3 now that it’s come a huge long way since its initial release.

• @ervin said:

@Simon said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

+1.

@Samu said:

Love the sanity @ervin. It would be lovely if we could all remember the lessons taught in kindergarten, the ones we are hopefully teaching our kids. Of course, they'll learn from our behavior regardless of our words. As adults we should really be able to speak respectfully in very normal sotuations without needing feedback. My middle school students need the feedback because they're children. I have little slack for anyone older than 25 😂

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

Mastering is possible in AUM though with enough really good plugins. But all these things are 100 times easier in Cubasis 3 now that it’s come a huge long way since its initial release.

I appreciate the ideas. On balance having a single environment that provides a timeline and integrated automation felt like the right path forward, so I jumped today. Ultimately this is a really inexpensive tool for what it does...

• @suboptimal said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

Mastering is possible in AUM though with enough really good plugins. But all these things are 100 times easier in Cubasis 3 now that it’s come a huge long way since its initial release.

I appreciate the ideas. On balance having a single environment that provides a timeline and integrated automation felt like the right path forward, so I jumped today. Ultimately this is a really inexpensive tool for what it does...

That’s awesome news! Reach out on any social media platform if you have any questions.

• Is anyone else having issues with the new drag and drop feature. When I drag and drop midi to the timeline, it disappears, and a little message pops up stating “added to media bay”. But when I check the media bay it isn’t there. When I watch videos online of people using this feature, it simply places the midi on the timeline as one would expect. Is anyone else having this issue?

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    Is anyone else having issues with the new drag and drop feature. When I drag and drop midi to the timeline, it disappears, and a little message pops up stating “added to media bay”. But when I check the media bay it isn’t there. When I watch videos online of people using this feature, it simply places the midi on the timeline as one would expect. Is anyone else having this issue?

Do you have more than 10 tracks in the project? There’s an issue whit drag and drop if the tracks in project are above 10. It’s under investigation.

• Sorry to say I am still seeing some issues from the latest version, perhaps a thing of IOS 16? Was just trying to record a simple three note sequence from NFM and (as I think someone mentioned above) the grid etc has gone missing, but I cannot pinch/see the screen either....will try with some other apps, as I haven't used NFM previously in Cubasis...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Sorry to say I am still seeing some issues from the latest version, perhaps a thing of IOS 16? Was just trying to record a simple three note sequence from NFM and (as I think someone mentioned above) the grid etc has gone missing, but I cannot pinch/see the screen either....will try with some other apps, as I haven't used NFM previously in Cubasis...

If you have the 'zoom controllers' visible they could maybe be used to 'zoom out' a bit?
    Or use the transport control to return the playhead to zero which sometimes unlocks the locked zoom.

• @Samu is there a way that the grid can be seen on top of the midi or audio tracks? I can see my grid behind the wav file, or midi file, and I can use snap to grid to position the cursor to a particular grid point, but I want to see the grid lines on top of the tracks.(like AEM does)

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @Samu is there a way that the grid can be seen on top of the midi or audio tracks? I can see my grid behind the wav file, or midi file, and I can use snap to grid to position the cursor to a particular grid point, but I want to see the grid lines on top of the tracks.(like AEM does)

Yes, there's a setting for that...

• Thanks Samu!

• @Samu said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Sorry to say I am still seeing some issues from the latest version, perhaps a thing of IOS 16? Was just trying to record a simple three note sequence from NFM and (as I think someone mentioned above) the grid etc has gone missing, but I cannot pinch/see the screen either....will try with some other apps, as I haven't used NFM previously in Cubasis...

If you have the 'zoom controllers' visible they could maybe be used to 'zoom out' a bit?
    Or use the transport control to return the playhead to zero which sometimes unlocks the locked zoom.

Appreciate the thought. Closed the app and returned and all was well.... would that all of life's problems be so easily solved :)

• edited December 2022

I’ve had this happen on iOS 15.x , sorry I can’t reproduce it though.

• I seem to get that whenever I select to open the most recent project option. Closing out and reopening usually works but it’s frustrating given pre 3.5 update the last project opened automatically without issue. I’m on iOS 15 latest point release.

• Am sure this has been discussed
    But sale ends today
    Main cubasis 3 purchase is £25
    Cubasis le 3 is free with £12 full upgrade
    Why would I purchase the more expensive option over the cheaper option???
    Am I gaining more etc from the exapensive route
    Only got a few hours left of sale to make decision
    Any help appreciated

• Sorry no need to reply
    Just re-red the description
    I need a a suitable hardware device

• @Gdub said:
    Sorry no need to reply
    Just re-red the description
    I need a a suitable hardware device

Hi @Gdub,

Exactly... :)