Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.5 and Holiday Season Sale available (ending Jan 9, 2023)

Comments

• @tja said:
    Anybody found the explanation for this?

I thought that the leftmost doublearrow would resize in a way that all tracks are fully visible.
    But it does not seem to do this.
    I also tried to select first ...

No idea what the rightmost doublearrow does.

The arrows toggle whether the slider zooms vertical or horizontally.
    Left<->Right arrow horizontal zoom up<->down vertical zoom.

Did you even try to use the slider with either of the arrows selected?!?

• The 'Slider' can be enabled or disabled under settings -> user interface 'Show Zoom Panel' should give a hint on what it does...

• @l>; @DanSebPage said:

@Lars

I love Cubasis and will continue to use it regardless, (as it's the only iOS DAW that supports multi-core processing). However, it's also one of the few remaining DAWs that doesn't support Plugin Delay Compensation'.

Please see: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52952/the-apps-by-unfiltered-audio-has-been-released#latest for a discussion of how important this 'standard' DAW feature is.

I'd quietly hoped PDC would be implemented in the latest update. I'm thrilled to see all the new updates and fixes (particularly drag and drop support), but please pass on to the developers the importance of PDC in a modern DAW.

We have a bunch of iOS DAWs available that contain PDC (and no multi-core support), and a single DAW that contains multi-core support... but no PDC!

It feels like we're SO close with Cubasis to being the top DAW on iOS, except it's missing one essential feature!

+1

• @DanSebPage said:

@dokwok2 said:

@DanSebPage said:
    We have a bunch of iOS DAWs available that contain PDC (and no multi-core support)

Which ones? (I know AUM does it, but it's not a DAW.)

NanoStudio 2 has PDC
    Audio Evolution Mobile has PDC
    Roland Zenbeats has PDC
    Auria Pro has PDC

Cubasis... doesn't!

• multitrackstudio also has it if I'm correct
  • @Samu said:
    The arrows toggle whether the slider zooms vertical or horizontally.
    Left<->Right arrow horizontal zoom up<->down vertical zoom.

Did you even try to use the slider with either of the arrows selected?!?

No, I didn't.
    I searched the help / manual for an explanation of the buttons, but could not find one.
    So, the double-arrows are modifications for the +/- buttons.

Thanks, @Samu !

But both directions do not work in an usable way.

The horizontal scaling jumps from too large to too small:
    All parts visible and next, the largest part already only partly visible.

The vertical scaling is even worse, it as it has no setting that would show show all (or selected) tracks in a way that the space will be used - instead, the one track get's displayed only partly.

As I said, I expected a natural and usable "scale tracks to maximum", maybe just for selected parts.
    Very sad to miss this opportunity!

To illustrate, I will add screenshots...

• Thanks for the update.
    PDC next time please!

Is there any way to scroll the project to follow the cursor?
    I thought there was a setting but I can’t find it..

• Start:

Then the next horizontal scaling:

Cut in halve, no setting where the tracks just fit the screen. From too large to too small ...

And next a try to scale vertically:

Bamm, from too small to a track cut in half.

Why?
    This would be so easy to implement - just use the available horizontal or vertikal space, so that it fits:

And to show what I mean, I did it manually:

This fits horizontally.

And in the next step, it fits both horizontally and vertically.

This is a useful view for tracks!

• edited December 2022

Still amazed it doesn't have simple non-stretch speed change of audio files after all these years, but hey, bluetooth is nice!

• Hey I skimmed so I might have missed this
    Currently you can get cubasis LE then the IAP to unlock full functionality of cubasis 3
    for way cheaper than buying the full version
    I read another thread saying you need to activate LE2 with stein berg hardware.. but I didn’t see that for LE3?
    Anyone know?

• edited December 2022

@RetroNewb said:
    Happy 10th birthday Cubasis ,
    & to Steinberg many decades more, pioneering computer sequencing & DAWS ,
    bringing many new ideas which others have borrowed …..

so after 20 years of being polite I say it’s fine for you to add a Session View & borrow from Ableton yourselves.
    Cheers.

Have you looked a the new 7.3 RemixLive? Can work well with Cubasis.. Can even transpose a whole ‘song’ (key/scale) to fit a Cubasis project (via Ableton Link).. a doozy for a second device..

• @LFS said:

@musikeer said:
    When dragging audio to a specific track, the audio doesn’t land on the selected track, but a random one. Anyone else? @LFS

Hi @musikeer,

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce this. What are the exact steps that lead to the issue (ideally starting with an empty project)?

If you can reproduce it from scratch, please share a video with us.

Thanks,
    Lars

Hi Lars...

Actually, that's the only time drag & drop works correctly, in an empty project. When adding an empty (audio) track to an already populated project, and dragging and dropping to any place on that newly created track, it either creates a new track on its own, or drops it in another random track nearby. At least for me. I haven't tried MIDI tracks. iPad Air 5, iOS 15.7.2. If you can't reproduce that, I can share a video if you need it.

But thanks so much for the 3.5 update! A lot of great updates and additions that make Cubasis even better...

• @tja said:

@musikeer said:
    When dragging audio to a specific track, the audio doesn’t land on the selected track, but a random one. Anyone else? @LFS

Using SampleCrate as slideover over Cubasis, drag-and-drop works perfectly fine for me!

Same for the Files App in slideover.

I'm talking about dragging/dropping from Cubasis' own Audio folder, using slideover.

• @tja said:
    Anybody found the explanation for this?

I thought that the leftmost doublearrow would resize in a way that all tracks are fully visible.
    But it does not seem to do this.
    I also tried to select first ...

No idea what the rightmost doublearrow does.

The left arrows resize horizontally. The right arrows resize vertically.

• edited December 2022

Also, when "Browsing", the options below are hidden, most importantly, the option to Duplicate and/or Open Duplicated Project. They reappear when a project has been opened. Any way to correct/change that? @LFS

• @fornax55 said:
    Hey I skimmed so I might have missed this
    Currently you can get cubasis LE then the IAP to unlock full functionality of cubasis 3
    for way cheaper than buying the full version
    I read another thread saying you need to activate LE2 with stein berg hardware.. but I didn’t see that for LE3?
    Anyone know?

Hi @fornax55,

As stated in the description of the app: Cubasis LE runs in a free demo mode unless being unlocked via a bundled OEM device.

Best,
    Lars

• @musikeer said:

@LFS said:

@musikeer said:

Hi @musikeer,

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce this. What are the exact steps that lead to the issue (ideally starting with an empty project)?

If you can reproduce it from scratch, please share a video with us.

Thanks,
    Lars

Hi Lars...

Actually, that's the only time drag & drop works correctly, in an empty project. When adding an empty (audio) track to an already populated project, and dragging and dropping to any place on that newly created track, it either creates a new track on its own, or drops it in another random track nearby. At least for me. I haven't tried MIDI tracks. iPad Air 5, iOS 15.7.2. If you can't reproduce that, I can share a video if you need it.

But thanks so much for the 3.5 update! A lot of great updates and additions that make Cubasis even better...

Hi @musikeer,

We‘ve gave it a check with projects that already contained tracks with no luck.

A simple repro would be of great help! S video that shows the exact steps leading to the issue judt perfect!!

Thanks again
    Lars

• Hi @musikeer,

A simple repro would be of great help! S video that shows the exact steps leading to the issue judt perfect!!

Thanks again
    Lars

I sent you a link in a message. @LFS

• @LFS thank you for your efforts!

• @musikeer said:

Hi @musikeer,

Thanks again
    Lars

I sent you a link in a message. @LFS

Hi @musikeer,

Thanks for sharing the clip with me, which I've shared with our engineering.
    Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce the issue.

I will get back to you once I've exchanged with our engineering.

Thanks again,
    Lars

• @iamspoon said:
    Is there any way to scroll the project to follow the cursor?
    I thought there was a setting but I can’t find it..

Hi @iamspoon,

Are you looking for the "Follow playhead" button?
    If so, please find it above the tracklist, located to the left of the Global Mute/Solo buttons.

Best,
    Lars

• Unfortunately I’m still getting a very annoying bug where whenever I’m doing some intense editing and after hitting erase on various clips a number of times it will randomly freeze on erase and Cubasis needs to be shutdown to function again. Slightly longer to reload the track now as well thanks to the fancy new home screen reminiscent of Zenbeats. I still stick with Cubasis despite this but 😤 …..

• @musikeer said:

@tja said:

@musikeer said:

Using SampleCrate as slideover over Cubasis, drag-and-drop works perfectly fine for me!

I'm talking about dragging/dropping from Cubasis' own Audio folder, using slideover.

You mean from "Media / Audio" or "Media / Mixdown"?
    Tested this too, and had no problems.

But this is just another panel of the same App, not slideover.

• Please fix the horizontal scrolling, it’s an hours work at best and if you already implemented vertical, it’s ridiculous to leave it out.
    It’s advertised as working with trackpads but it is a half baked implementation.

• edited December 2022

@tja said:

@musikeer said:

@tja said:

@musikeer said:

What I think is meant is, navigating to the 'Cubasis' folders using a Files.app pop-over and dragging from there to the time-line...
    ...I can imagine this can cause 'issues' since you'd be dragging the actual file that is being used by the project to another place.

This would be the only way to access 'Project Audio' since the built-in Media Browser has no option to browse files within a project.

• @ZooBaaDoo said:
    Unfortunately I’m still getting a very annoying bug where whenever I’m doing some intense editing and after hitting erase on various clips a number of times it will randomly freeze on erase and Cubasis needs to be shutdown to function again. Slightly longer to reload the track now as well thanks to the fancy new home screen reminiscent of Zenbeats. I still stick with Cubasis despite this but 😤 …..

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

Please provide us with more information about your issue.

A short clip which shows the steps, alongside the crash reports would be of help to allow us further evaluating the problem.
    Also, please add more information about the iOS gear you have in use, iOS version etc.

If possible, please upload the files via Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link.

Thanks
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2022

@RajahP said:
    Thanks for the update… any videos on this update?

Hi @RajahP,

Actually, our good friend Doug Woods from @thesoundtestroom did show all the new Cubasis 3.5 features in his live stream yesterday evening. Please find the clip right here:

Thank you very much @thesoundtestroom, we love the clip!!

Stay safe,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:
    Unfortunately I’m still getting a very annoying bug where whenever I’m doing some intense editing and after hitting erase on various clips a number of times it will randomly freeze on erase and Cubasis needs to be shutdown to function again. Slightly longer to reload the track now as well thanks to the fancy new home screen reminiscent of Zenbeats. I still stick with Cubasis despite this but 😤 …..

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

A short clip which shows the steps, alongside the crash reports would be of help to allow us further evaluating the problem.
    Also, please add more information about the iOS gear you have in use, iOS version etc.

If possible, please upload the files via Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link.

Thanks
    Lars

@LFS said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

Thanks
    Lars

Thanks for the reply. Happens on two different iPad Pros. One a brand new M1 both running iOS 15 6 .1. No crash report. No particular steps to post I’m afraid it’s a random glitch that’s only ever related to hitting erase of an audio clip which then freezes everything and needs a reboot. Must admit I’ve not seen it reported by others? But for me it is a glitch fairly frequent on any of my tracks. Erase runs fine for a while after I reboot I get a good few ‘erase’ opportunities then it can happen again randomly?. The freeze is full on unresponsive. Not related to number of tracks as it can happen on relatively lightweight 3/5 tracks material. Not related to any particular type of auv3’s either as it will happen on anything. I think the erase function is just tired 😂. Strange one? Do some heavy editing and see if you can recreate maybe?

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

@musikeer said:

@tja said:

@musikeer said:

What I think is meant is, navigating to the 'Cubasis' folders using a Files.app pop-over and dragging from there to the time-line...
    ...I can imagine this can cause 'issues' since you'd be dragging the actual file that is being used by the project to another place.

This would be the only way to access 'Project Audio' since the built-in Media Browser has no option to browse files within a project.

Ah, I understand - thanks!

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

@LFS said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

Thanks
    Lars

@LFS said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

Thanks
    Lars

Thanks for the reply. Happens on two different iPad Pros. One a brand new M1 both running iOS 15 6 .1. No crash report. No particular steps to post I’m afraid it’s a random glitch that’s only ever related to hitting erase of an audio clip which then freezes everything and needs a reboot. Must admit I’ve not seen it reported by others? But for me it is a glitch fairly frequent on any of my tracks. Erase runs fine for a while after I reboot I get a good few ‘erase’ opportunities then it can happen again randomly?. The freeze is full on unresponsive. Not related to number of tracks as it can happen on relatively lightweight 3/5 tracks material. Not related to any particular type of auv3’s either as it will happen on anything. I think the erase function is just tired 😂. Strange one? Do some heavy editing and see if you can recreate maybe?

Hi @ZooBaaDoo,

Unfortunately we have not seen this issue ourselves.
    If you find a repro please share it with us.

Thanks
    Lars

• @LFS Thanks to you and the team for another great update! :smile: Really nice to see trackpad support improving, but unfortunately I find the current version of scrolling to be lacklustre in practice.

Scrolling with the trackpad doesn’t behave nearly as responsively as it does elsewhere in iPadOS, e.g. if I scroll very slowly in Safari, the page will scroll very slowly to match my movement. However in Cubasis when I scroll slowly the list remains static, making edging up and down by just a few items very difficult (unlike the accurate scrolling when using the touch screen in Cubasis).

Further to this, in Safari if you scroll quickly and lift off the trackpad, the page will scroll until a finger is placed on the trackpad once again, making it easy to instantly stop scrolling. In Cubasis, the scrolling will continue even when a finger is placed on the trackpad again, making fast scrolling difficult to use with much accuracy.

Also, if I scroll without taking my fingers off of the trackpad, I wouldn’t expect the scroll to continue when I stop moving (as it behaves elsewhere in the OS). However, in Cubasis I’m finding that even when my fingers haven’t lifted off the trackpad, kinetic scrolling will continue, again severely reducing the accuracy of using a trackpad in Cubasis.

Also, it’d be great to see scrolling working in the piano roll too. To echo the others here, horizontal scrolling would be great as well (though I’d see more responsive/usable scrolling as a higher priority personally).

Hope my feedback is helpful!