Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

HELP. Audio Interface hiss

I am trying to record a hardware synth into iPad into Audioshare/Cubasis
I am getting really noisy signal into iPad.
Tried couple of cheap U Control Behringer ones and an old Griffin one I had and getting noise from all 3.
Monitoring with headphones in to interface is fine, seems to be the input into the ipad from the interface where the noise seems to be added. Am using apple brand connectors. Any ideas?
Do I just need to get a newer not so cheap interface? Anyone can recommend a reasonably priced audio interface you have used with iPad for simple stereo line in and out of the ipad?

Comments

• edited December 2022

While I don't have many Behringer interfaces I know the UCA-202 at least has very high crosstalk (output bleeds into input).

So it might be worth to turn off software play-thru in the app you're recording with to check if that improves the situation, this works for the UCA-202.

What kind of noise are you getting? Static / Buzzing noise?
    Next step to try is to use a DI box and do a ground-lift before feeding the interface.

As the audio-interface is most likely powered over USB a USB cable with ferrite lump on it might reduce the noise.
    (I can notice a slight difference when using a USB cable with / without ferrite ring when using my Steinberg UR-242).

There's also the grounded vs. non-grounded USB-Cable issue which is quite interesting especially for USB powered instruments. High Quality USB Cables tend to be grounded while the cheaper once aren't...

As I mostly sample in Mono and I'm super happy with the Audient ID4mk2 which doesn't break the bank.
    ID14 is known to cause issues with the iPads (draws too much current) so I can't recommend that one.

The most likely reason you're not hearing the noise when monitoring with the Behringer interfaces is because the monitoring is pre ADC.

Cheers!

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Tried couple of cheap U Control Behringer ones and an old Griffin one I had and getting noise from all 3.
    Monitoring with headphones in to interface is fine, seems to be the input into the ipad from the interface where the noise seems to be added. Am using apple brand connectors. Any ideas?
    Do I just need to get a newer not so cheap interface? Anyone can recommend a reasonably priced audio interface you have used with iPad for simple stereo line in and out of the ipad?

The issue is going to on the interface side. The cables are sending digital audio. Failure of those cables snd connectors doesnโ€™t manifest as hiss. Most likely, the analog side of the interface is involved.

Have you optimized the level of the input signal?

• The USB cable also provides the interface with power and can be quite 'dirty' causing unwanted noise.

There's a reason why some interfaces ship with a ferrite lump on the cable...
    ...I can clearly hear the difference on the UR-242 depending on what type of USB-Cable I use with it.

Also we have the dilemma with grounded/un-grounded USB-Cables which can cause various issues, especially when using USB-Powered devices. Some devices are more sensitive than others. Both UNOSynth and NTS-1 are quite sensitive to un-clean USB-Power as two examples...

I'd just check with another interface and see if the noise is still there...

• One word - Brusfri. An amazing plugin by Klevgrand that'll clean up any added noise to an audio signal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Thanks, i have Tried few things and lowest background hum I can get is headphone output of synth to input of interface output that to ipad. Is annoying as line outs should obviously be better
    I have Brusfri so I can give that a go. I may just grab a new audio interface, anyone have one they recommend that works well on synth level line inputs to ios (with or without usb hub is fine)

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Thanks, i have Tried few things and lowest background hum I can get is headphone output of synth to input of interface output that to ipad. Is annoying as line outs should obviously be better
    I have Brusfri so I can give that a go. I may just grab a new audio interface, anyone have one they recommend that works well on synth level line inputs to ios (with or without usb hub is fine)

Sounds like you've changed your tune from "hiss" to "hum". They have different causes, since AC power line hum is all around us.

Try checking the "impedance" of your audio interface inputs, and of the synth outputs (headphone and line). Look in the manuals if they're not marked on the units. See if you can roughly match the impedances of the source and the input, probably in the range 2 to 10 Kohms. That will help to minimize AC pickup. If you can get a match in the range 600 to 1000 ohms, that would be even better.

Also, please report if your interface expects a "balanced" source. That's what real pro gear uses to minimize pickup. But your synth may not cooperate with that.

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

Arturia Minifuse 2 is what I use, same price range as Focusrite. Sounds great with my Uno Synth Pro and vocals and I have had no issues.

/DMfan๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช

• I've no idea if this is helpful input or not:

• Hiss: I have an original model ART Tube MP that I used to never use because it added too much hiss to my signal when I played my guitar through it. I was using a guitar cable in and then out to my iRig Pro interface. One day I switched to a microphone cable for the output and the hiss disappeared.
    • Buzz/Humm: Nothing, and I really mean nothing, I could ever find would eliminate the buzz that I get whenever I plug power into the Apple CCK lightning adapter. This happened in three different homes. I never found any way to eliminate it, and I did try everything. Then I got the idea to simply power with a battery bank instead and ... dead silence. Cleanest signal I've ever had in 30 years of playing guitar.
  • @RedSkyLullaby said:

I have both the Behringer and the Griffin and although they're neat and small, they're my two worst USB audio interfaces by far.
    I've switched to a Zoom H1n and the difference is like night and day. Not perfect but perfectly usable.

• @wim said:
    I've no idea if this is helpful input or not:

• Hiss: I have an original model ART Tube MP that I used to never use because it added too much hiss to my signal when I played my guitar through it. I was using a guitar cable in and then out to my iRig Pro interface. One day I switched to a microphone cable for the output and the hiss disappeared.
    • Buzz/Humm: Nothing, and I really mean nothing, I could ever find would eliminate the buzz that I get whenever I plug power into the Apple CCK lightning adapter. This happened in three different homes. I never found any way to eliminate it, and I did try everything. Then I got the idea to simply power with a battery bank instead and ... dead silence. Cleanest signal I've ever had in 30 years of playing guitar.

Interesting may try that too

• @rs2000 said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

I have both the Behringer and the Griffin and although they're neat and small, they're my two worst USB audio interfaces by far.
    I've switched to a Zoom H1n and the difference is like night and day. Not perfect but perfectly usable.

Yep definitely get what pay for, def time to upgrade. might get a UA Volt2 or similar

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    One word - Brusfri. An amazing plugin by Klevgrand that'll clean up any added noise to an audio signal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah, but it can really squash the fast transients of quiet sounds if the noise is too high...
    ...and it's having a really hard time filtering out ground humm without completely destroying the source signal.

For most parts it works really well though...

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    One word - Brusfri. An amazing plugin by Klevgrand that'll clean up any added noise to an audio signal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dude

• @NoiseHorse said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Dude

Clean horses ahead.

• Try turning all of your input signals all the way up, and use only the final volume controls.