Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Online Collaboration

Was jamming with some musician from out of town this weekend and one suggested that we use an online DAW to collaborate.

Assuming I want to use sounds from my iPad synths, does anyone recommend a workflow and/or specific DAW for collaboration? I typically use Loopy Pro but am comfortable with AUM and Cubasis. Should I just do my recording in my preferred iPad DAW and upload stems to a cloud based DAW like BandLab? Should I plug the iPad into a computer and record directly into BandLab?

Or are there features in Cubasis for example that would make collaboration relatively possible/easy?

I think I’m the most music tech savvy so I can probably push others to adopt a specific workflow if it makes sense.

Comments

• If I were you I would convince the participating musicians to share stems from a cloud folder and either end with multiple mixes or have one member do the final mix. Learning a new DAW only reduces the quality of the results IMHO.

• @McD said:
    If I were you I would convince the participating musicians to share stems from a cloud folder and either end with multiple mixes or have one member do the final mix. Learning a new DAW only reduces the quality of the results IMHO.

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely seems to make sense to have one musician do the final mix.

• @GreedySpark said:

@McD said:
    If I were you I would convince the participating musicians to share stems from a cloud folder and either end with multiple mixes or have one member do the final mix. Learning a new DAW only reduces the quality of the results IMHO.

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely seems to make sense to have one musician do the final mix.

It’s also great top have everyone make a mix and have a conversation about the techniques used. I just heard an Apple Music tune of a guitar and vocal I’d love to know what FX process was used on the vocal track. Harry Gohs’ Bark Filter with the TripleBand Preset and Limiter on is the best one stop final mix app I’m aware of.

• @McD said:

This. Anytime I’ve done online sessions where everyone wanted to share a DAW it just gets messy and too bogged down in troubleshooting. Stems put into folders with the date the creator uploaded them works fine for simple stuff.

• edited December 2022

@GreedySpark Using Endlesss [https://endlesss.fm] would be a lot more fun! At least for jamming out the material/writing the songs. You'd likely still need to export those stems into a DAW after the fun part to engage in the serious business of song production, but that's quite do-able! Happy to answer any questions about it if you're interested. If you're on Discord, check out the Endlesss community at https://discord.gg/endlesssfm for lots of helpful tips and people. :wink:

Forgot to mention it's free and available on iOS, Windows and MacOS.

• edited December 2022

Check out Thumbjam creator Sonosurus's

SonoBus

https://sonobus.net/

user guide

https://sonobus.net/sonobus_userguide.html

• Thanks for recommending Endless and Sonobus. Both seem like great tools.

• Endlesss hands down

• Another vote for Endless for a creative content creator, though content is likely to come out very "loopy" and in relatively short passages. Endless also seems to be fairly resource hungry. It works pretty sluggishly on my MS Surface while Ableton works just fine on the same machine. But Endless is a lot of fun and it has audio in and it's free.

• +1 Endlesss. and not to forget that you have all stems of every itteration made by any member available afterwards. Which you can save or drag and drop in a daw. Just try to keep always a slot open. Or merge drumparts by simply target them and commit. You will have every added part in audio and even the fx dubbed into the audio. Which you can stack in your daw with the dry part. This is really a great way of working because it forces you forward in a totally different way.

• edited December 2022

Zenbeats. It works on iOS, Mac, windows and even android so everyone will be able to use it. Also a lot cheaper than other daws.
    It’s got a ton of internal fx and sounds.
    Linear and clip (loop) mode. I think the clip mode is ideal for improvising and for collaboration. You could save the songs to a shared Google Drive folder and work from there (haven’t actually tried opening a file from diff operating systems but it should work).

• Quick question before doing online search...
    Does anyone know if there is a platform where one can find poems/lyrics that can be used in a song?
    Nothing serious, just wanted to experiment with vocals without having anything to say... :D
    Thanks 😊