Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Riffer 3 Do This?

Is there a way to lock the active steps on Riffer 3?

If you have a pattern where you like the rhythm, and only want the pitches to change when you generate a new riff, is that possible?

Comments

• edited December 2022

@looperboy said:
    Is there a way to lock the active steps on Riffer 3?

If you have a pattern where you like the rhythm, and only want the pitches to change when you generate a new riff, is that possible?

In a word, yes. From the manual:

You can also lock the steps around the notes as "blank" and it'll randomize the steps in the pattern you like.

• edited December 2022

I’m not sure if that does what I’m after. Lock steps locks the pitch too. Is locking blanks the only way to do it? Seems a bit combursome.

• edited December 2022

@looperboy said:
    I’m not sure if that does what I’m after. Lock steps locks the pitch too. Is locking blanks the only way to do it? Seems a bit combursome.

Then write your own riffs. Jesus. You are given this wonderful tool that has the capability to do exactly what you want it to do, only you can’t do it fast enough for your tastes. As with everything else, practice. Gah. Some things in life TAKE TIME.

• Update is pending on Riffer... Hopefully soon.

• edited December 2022

@oat_phipps said:

@looperboy said:

Then write your own riffs. Jesus. You are given this wonderful tool that has the capability to do exactly what you want it to do, only you can’t do it fast enough for your tastes. As with everything else, practice. Gah. Some things in life TAKE TIME.

Like implementing a “Lock Rhythm” button with a few simple lines of code? How much time would that take? Anyway, what’s your skin in the game, pal? You seem very triggered by idea of simple improvements.

• edited December 2022

@RajahP said:
    Update is pending on Riffer... Hopefully soon.

Hopefully they’ll make it a bit more visible on iPhone too. I’m almost blind after a short session 😂

• @looperboy said:

@oat_phipps said:

@looperboy said:

Like implementing a “Lock Rhythm” button with a few simple lines of code? How much time would that take? Anyway, what’s your skin in the game, pal? You seem very triggered by idea of simple improvements.

I wouldn't presume it's as easy as a few simple lines of code. :) That said, I've been in contact with the Audiomodern folks to request what you've suggested--and also to be able to constrain notes to a range of specific notes (rather than anything in the key/scale). They said they are working on all these things in the next update.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@looperboy said:

@oat_phipps said:

@looperboy said:

I wouldn't presume it's as easy as a few simple lines of code. :) That said, I've been in contact with the Audiomodern folks to request what you've suggested--and also to be able to constrain notes to a range of specific notes (rather than anything in the key/scale). They said they are working on all these things in the next update.

Brilliant, thanks!

• @looperboy you can get close to what you want by

• locking in the non playing notes to freeze the rhythmic pattern using step locking (blue) or note locking (green)
    • restricting the range played to sub octave ranges
    • Use keyboard input to trigger the phase

Should help a bit until an update arrives

• @looperboy said:

@oat_phipps said:

@looperboy said:

My skin in the game is I’m getting old and I resent the idea of my generation and younger expecting computer programs to do more and more for them. Don’t worry, I’m just a dinosaur, it happens to most people, and I won’t be around too much longer.

And since I was perfectly honest with you, don’t use the word “trigger”. That is some stupid, stupid shit.

• edited December 2022

@looperboy said:

@oat_phipps said:

@looperboy said:

I like the idea of a lock rhythm feature.

People have different ideas of what is 'cheating,' if that's a thing with art. Loops, samples, presets, amplification, metronomes, synth randomizers, sheet music, programming sequencers vs playing the instrument, lining up beats for groove in a daw by looking at transients vs actual drumming, auto tune. Where does it all start and stop?

If it's satisfying to you, more power to ya! I like playing my guitar, piano, or violin live for recording but I tend not to play synths directly and prefer sequencing them. To some folks that's not playing fair. There was a lot of these kids and their rock and roll bemoaning when sequencers came out because it meant people no longer had to play keys to get sounds. But realistically a lot of sounds need to be sequenced to get THAT SOUND. To me they're all tools and I choose what makes me happy.

• edited December 2022

@oat_phipps said:
    And since I was perfectly honest with you, don’t use the word “trigger”. That is some stupid, stupid shit.

Don't diss da Trigger! :smiley: