Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Desktop superior? Slice long wavs to multiple samples

Hi all,

I've found workflows for Audacity and Audition that work reasonably. But I'd love to edit long*.wav files into multiple samples from the comfort of my iPad Pro, be Pencil, and comfy bed. I've found iOS apps that have this functionality, but I've not yet found a workflow that's equivalent or superior to desktop. I'm hoping I'm wrong. What do you all recommend!

Iakc

Comments

• My choice would probably be Audio Evolution Mobile for that purpose.
    Also because I can continue to work with the sliced snippets on the same screen.

• What about 4pocket Neon editor?

• I think I've seen @AudioGus do slicing of very long samples in Egoist. Workflow will not be superior to desktop if the precision/comfort parameter is high.

• edited December 2022

in wavebox just put marks wherever you want the spltis and then when exporting selecet split regions

edit:

appstore link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wavebox-audio-editor/id1577078380

price: $0

and it's also the best way I know to apply AUv3 quickly to an audio file

• 4pockets Neon Audio editor would be best bet. It’s cheap and powerful.
    You can load a wav file, chop into different sections.
    Edit the single slices, insert space or silence, remove certain part from the audio.
    Increase the gain on or apply effects to certainty sections of the audio. Export the slices as multiple stems. It’s a shame though it’s not multi track. But you can use it also in other apps. Neon will also be very useful with upcoming Cubasis update. Since the audio editor in Cubasis ain’t the best, but something in next update will bring improvements to audio editing in Cubasis using Neon.
    Not the best of solution but definitely a good step forward

• @Paa89 said:
    4pockets Neon Audio editor would be best bet. It’s cheap and powerful.
    Edit the single slices, insert space or silence, remove certain part from the audio.
    Increase the gain on or apply effects to certainty sections of the audio. Export the slices as multiple stems. It’s a shame though it’s not multi track. But you can use it also in other apps. Neon will also be very useful with upcoming Cubasis update. Since the audio editor in Cubasis ain’t the best, but something in next update will bring improvements to audio editing in Cubasis using Neon.

can you export all the slices on a single export? wavebox can...

• @bleep said:
    I think I've seen @AudioGus do slicing of very long samples in Egoist. Workflow will not be superior to desktop if the precision/comfort parameter is high.

Oh wow, that was a while ago but yah with BM3 and Egoist I do recall doing a process like this. Not sure if the end result was exported wavs or not. I think it may have just been slicing to pads in BM3 still. Also this might even have even been before transient detection in BM3, so I bit of a temporary workhack at the time.

But yah, nothing matches or beats desktop in my experience, particularly Samplitude which so far is king for me.

• I just use Logic when I need to do these kind of tasks.
    Non-Destructive clip-gain, Fade in/out, Reverse, Pitch Adjust, Stretch etc. etc.
    It's 2022 and we still have NOTHING on iOS that comes even remotely close...

Auditor is a good candidate but with it share of well 'issues' like just about everything else on iPadOS :sunglasses:

• @Paa89 said:
    Cubasis ain’t the best, but something in next update will bring improvements to audio editing in Cubasis using Neon.

Sounds almost like you're on beta for it or something like that?! :sunglasses:

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Hi all,

I've found workflows for Audacity and Audition that work reasonably. But I'd love to edit long*.wav files into multiple samples from the comfort of my iPad Pro, be Pencil, and comfy bed. I've found iOS apps that have this functionality, but I've not yet found a workflow that's equivalent or superior to desktop. I'm hoping I'm wrong. What do you all recommend!

Iakc

How long is long?

• edited December 2022

@cokomairena said:

@Paa89 said:

@cokomairena
    you can do more than that.
    you can select a section of the audio and drag that into flies app or apps that support drag and drop.
    you can export all slices at once, the app creates a folder with all slices in it and you can also drag and drop that folder to files app directly from your daw.
    have a look at slice export :

• @Samu said:
    I just use Logic when I need to do these kind of tasks.
    Non-Destructive clip-gain, Fade in/out, Reverse, Pitch Adjust, Stretch etc. etc.
    It's 2022 and we still have NOTHING on iOS that comes even remotely close...

Auditor is a good candidate but with it share of well 'issues' like just about everything else on iPadOS :sunglasses:

@Samu these are all things you can do in Neon.
    apply effects to a certain section of the audio
    insert space in the audio
    eliminate portions of the audio
    increase gain, fade, reverse, pitch etc of the whole audio file or just portions of it.

• @Samu said:

@Paa89 said:
    Cubasis ain’t the best, but something in next update will bring improvements to audio editing in Cubasis using Neon.

Sounds almost like you're on beta for it or something like that?! :sunglasses:

a trusty birdie gave me the info ☺️

• @Paa89 said:

I know and as far as I know Neon's recording is still stuck at 16-bit and it can easily 'clip' when trying to record mono in AUM.
    I do have Neon but I find it very clunky and un-intuitive to use just like most of 4P apps, yeah, I'm NOT a fan.

Koala and BM3 are still my go-to apps for sampling and editing with Drambo serving me admirably as my 'synth/loop factory'.

Sure we've got plenty of lego pieces to create a 'Franken DAW' but it becomes a mess to manage in the long run.
    For me the iPad is a 'sketch pad / sound module / groove box' as that is what it does best.

I'm so thankful I'm not limited to just using the iPad, I would go insane...

Cheers!

• edited December 2022

I was honestly quite disappointed by Neon, every time I tried to do something there, I stumbled upon some bug.
    For slicing audio into separate files (and most other audio editing tasks), Beatmaker 3 is still my first choice.
    BTW on desktop I never liked Audacity, the interface is so lame! For exporting to mp3 you probably still need to go trhough a procedure that’s resembles compiling your own Linux kernel 😂
    So I really recommend Ocenaudio on MacOS. It’s really amazing and equally free and would deserve much more attention.

• @Paa89 said:

@cokomairena said:

@Paa89 said:

@cokomairena
    you can do more than that.
    you can select a section of the audio and drag that into flies app or apps that support drag and drop.
    you can export all slices at once, the app creates a folder with all slices in it and you can also drag and drop that folder to files app directly from your daw.
    have a look at slice export :

perfect!

• Auditor can also export all slices or regions as separate files.

• I’ve landed on Neon for my audio editing needs. Koala can serve the task pretty well too but Neon is really deep

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Hi all,

Iakc

You put an asterisk next to the word "long" without defining it. What do you mean? Are you trying to slice audio files that are 10 minutes long? Longer?

• @Samu said:

@Paa89 said:

I know and as far as I know Neon's recording is still stuck at 16-bit and it can easily 'clip' when trying to record mono in AUM.
    I do have Neon but I find it very clunky and un-intuitive to use just like most of 4P apps, yeah, I'm NOT a fan.

Koala and BM3 are still my go-to apps for sampling and editing with Drambo serving me admirably as my 'synth/loop factory'.

Sure we've got plenty of lego pieces to create a 'Franken DAW' but it becomes a mess to manage in the long run.
    For me the iPad is a 'sketch pad / sound module / groove box' as that is what it does best.

I'm so thankful I'm not limited to just using the iPad, I would go insane...

Cheers!

The interface is not that bad to be honest. Once you go through the help video, everything becomes clear. The only issue I have with Neon is the time stretch engine. It needs to be updated. Other than that, it works great for me. But I do understand your point

• @NeuM said:
    You put an asterisk next to the word "long" without defining it. What do you mean? Are you trying to slice audio files that are 10 minutes long? Longer?

@NeuM

Apologies for the delayed reply, but I'd say the length varies. On average, probably 7-10 minutes. Some sub-4 minutes. And a few that are 45-50 minutes, but less common. I could always slice those into smaller chunks if it was useful in some way, though. WDYT?

• @inakarmacoma said:

@NeuM said:

@NeuM

Apologies for the delayed reply, but I'd say the length varies. On average, probably 7-10 minutes. Some sub-4 minutes. And a few that are 45-50 minutes, but less common. I could always slice those into smaller chunks if it was useful in some way, though. WDYT?

Wow.

• How did our suggestions work out for you, @inakarmacoma?

• @inakarmacoma said:

@NeuM said:

@NeuM

Yah this is also my territory at times and dear to my heart. One mode I get in is where I like to just jam on sounds and lose track of time, not saving the project or patches or fx chains, just gooping it up in sounds land, then going in after and scraping the sweet bits out and arranging them in completely separate sessions later. Ahhh, I find I have made my best stuff this way. Gotta get back into it and out of this spreadsheet/midi project mindset I have been into too much lately.

• @NeuM said:

@inakarmacoma said:
    Hi all,

+1

Can anyone shed further light on the answer to this question?

• @andowrites said:

@NeuM said:

@inakarmacoma said:
    Hi all,

+1

I still stand with the wavebox workflow, but I haven't load a 60min file on it

• @cokomairena said:

@andowrites said:

@NeuM said:

@inakarmacoma said:
    Hi all,

+1

I still stand with the wavebox workflow, but I haven't load a 60min file on it

I shall explore. Thanks @cokomairena.