Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What Samples Do You Use...Are they good?

edited November 2022 in Other

I had to start my own "is it good" thread, lol. I'm curious as to what sample pack(s) you like to use, or if you record your own samples, or what sample libraries if you use romplers like Kontakt and whatnot, or what type of samples you use in music and in what genre(s).

Now to answer my own question, I have mentioned here before how much I love using the "Sounds of KSHMR" sample packs in my EDM tracks (all four volumes). The drums and samples are perfect for the genre if that's your thing. :) Nervous mids, crisp highs, etc.

However, for Lofi, I've (re)discovered an old sample pack called "The Lofi Box" from Image-Line (makers of FL Studio and FLSM). It was released on CD (back when sample packs were released on CD, and later available for download from your account).

I remember when I first got the pack back around the mid 00s how disappointed I was with the drum samples, because they didn't fit my EDM productions, and I never gave the pack a second glance. Once I got stuck into Lofi a week and a half ago, I remembered the pack, redownloaded it, and found that these drums fit Lofi flawlessly! The samples are short, snappy, dry, unprocessed, easy to layer if you wish to layer them, and they just work. Plus there are a shitload of drums to choose from!

So again, what samples do you use in your productions? :)

EDIT: Here's the Lofi Box available for purchase. https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio/samples-loops-presets/the-lo-fi-box

Comments

• edited November 2022

https://app.box.com/s/odlow2t6wlawviv62031yusk1nhrrrm9

These drums are dry rubbed, sauced and ready for consumption 👍

• @Stuntman_mike said:

These drums already got dry rubbed and sauced 👍

NICE FIND MATE! 😃 My hero! Downloaded.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

These drums already got dry rubbed and sauced 👍

NICE FIND MATE! 😃 My hero! Downloaded.

I’ve been using these for years, definitely one of a kind

• Wow thanks for posting this link. I had to open in Chrome rather than Safari as Safari opened the zip and presented me with individual files. Only Chrome gave me the zip file to download.
    I'm now going to indulge myself in my peculiar hobby of differentiating and ranking 17 million different hi-hat sounds. You guys understand right?

• edited January 2023

Favorites that I own
    Samples From mars - everything bundle
    Reverb - lots of great free packs available last time I checked.
    Drum Drops - only have a couple

Also Good
    Cymatics
    Slate Digital
    SampleRadar aka Music Radar
    WA Productions

Heck anything I can dig up especially if it’s on sale or free.

• Mine opened in Box, then I just shared and saved to iCloud downloads folder. Guess you gotta have Box for them to work directly.

• Thanks, @Stuntman_mike ! These are very helpful.

• @belldu said:
    Wow thanks for posting this link. I had to open in Chrome rather than Safari as Safari opened the zip and presented me with individual files. Only Chrome gave me the zip file to download.
    I'm now going to indulge myself in my peculiar hobby of differentiating and ranking 17 million different hi-hat sounds. You guys understand right?

Oh yes, understood 😂 hats are everything

• I followed @oat_phipps' recommendation and purchased all samples from Mars, along with Sitala. It's incredibly comprehensive, but for now I'm sticking to a few drum machines with predefined kits, and some "found sounds" packs.

• @Grandbear said:
    I followed @oat_phipps' recommendation and purchased all samples from Mars, along with Sitala. It's incredibly comprehensive, but for now I'm sticking to a few drum machines with predefined kits, and some "found sounds" packs.

Yup. And all the synths too.

• Reverb probably still has the Complete Drum Collection bundle free like 58 drum machines, some are only loops but still.

They also had 4 drum packs, well many, but 4 from famous studios like Motown, etc that were free.

They also been doing a free small pack almost once a week based on a specific sound from a song, or drummer.

• Samples From Mars, a few Boom Bap Labs packs, and the free packs on Lo-Fi Weekly are about all I use. I like to sample a lot of public domain movies and use my modular with radio unit for sample fodder these days though so I don’t look for samples as often as I used to

• GoldBaby make some good stuff

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Grandbear said:
    I followed @oat_phipps' recommendation and purchased all samples from Mars, along with Sitala. It's incredibly comprehensive, but for now I'm sticking to a few drum machines with predefined kits, and some "found sounds" packs.

Yup. And all the synths too.

Yeah, for synths I do prefer using instruments though, and I guess if something like VProm was available for iOS I'd use that instead of Linn or DMX samples

• @NeuM said:
    Thanks, @Stuntman_mike ! These are very helpful.

Oh wow, you’re very welcome!

• So many awesome answers here. Great to see what everybody uses.

@belldu said:

LOL! I used to be the same way.

• For me, samples should be "dry", without any reverb or whatsoever.

For D&B, the classic Jungle Jungle - 1989 to 1999 sample pack (Blu Mar Ten) is an essential. I think it's still downloadable somewhere.

For experimental glitchy noise, i often use the free pack from Glitchmachines as a starting point to glitch it even further.
    They had a collection from several sample packs. All i see now are free samples from Spore and Teratoma.
    https://glitchmachines.com

• edited November 2022

99% of the time I only use samples I have recorded myself. These are captured using Zoom H4n Pro and H2n, and using built in mics, geofon, core sounds binaural mics, contact mics, telephone pickups, SOMA Ether, etc. "Are they good?".... sometimes! For my own purposes, I would rather use a crappy sounding "gem" i unearthed in a bad recording I have made, then use a polished, technically superior commercial loop. I just like the personal connection to the sound.... makes it way more meaningful for me. That said, I am also musically constipated ( :P ) because I don't want to reuse those gems and I am overly precious and cautious about where I actually deploy them.... so fat lot of good they do me. ;P

(oh. and other 1% are noises found on freesound.org)

• @Grandbear said:

This Samples From Mars 'All' bundle looks like a pretty amazing deal for 50 bucks. 👍

• I have wayyyy too many samples, and use all of them depending on the situation. My favorites lately are:

The oliver kits from splice - great drums

The Reverb Drum samples - the motown stuff - really fun organic breaks and loops

Slate Stuff - Wide range of sounds, great for chopping, stretching, glitching etc. High quality sounds.

A folder of stems i ripped from Guitar Hero songs. Stuff from the eagles, britney, garbage, etc etc.

Sample Magic - Reworked Soul 2 - really cool old school hip hop type samples. great for slowed and reverbed ambient, lofi hip hop etc

• Bunch of free LoFi kits on the op1.fun site. From memory approx 15 of the kits in the heap I copped from there & sliced in to Drambo kits are pretty dusty…Can grab those for free here ➡️ https://payhip.com/b/oYO3R

(Lame) walkthrough of those kits ⬇️

• Mostly my own drums/instruments and the usual Linn & xOx stuff.

• I recently discovered this collection of drum machine samples
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sRuG9mRKo8T-8dUi4MBekXJNikqoJ_l3

And I can recommend the wonderful archive.org samples from the 90s
    https://archive.org/details/samplecds

• @childofthecorndog said:
    Bunch of free LoFi kits on the op1.fun site. From memory approx 15 of the kits in the heap I copped from there & sliced in to Drambo kits are pretty dusty…Can grab those for free here ➡️ https://payhip.com/b/oYO3R

(Lame) walkthrough of those kits ⬇️

Thanks for this! 🙌👏

• Good timing with this thread as I remember you mentioning the KSHMR packs earlier in the year and they have a BF sale at the moment so I picked up the vol 1-3 bundle (vol 4 will have to wait!). Also grabbed another drumdrops pack last week as I like my existing Mapex kit. Got a lot of samples to sift through this weekend…

I have purchased a lot of soundfonts from DigitalSoundFactory as I like the variety of sounds on offer, though they are generally not the most modern sounding. I have sampled most of the synths I am interested in on desktop via a series of homemade Mac Automator scripts and these are also in soundfont format for portability.

I have had plans for the last couple of years to record my guitars for sketching but I suspect that Riffler will get there first by offering MIDI-in control before I get the time to do this. I have Shreddage 1 which is decent for this, but the sample articulations don’t quite match the style of music I am looking for.

My biggest problem is finding the time to curate this stuff and feel like I got my money’s worth out of them. As Alan Partridge said about the tungsten tipped screws he bought: “Never gonna use 'em, never gonna use 'em…”

• edited November 2022

@Jer4 said:
    I recently discovered this collection of drum machine samples
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sRuG9mRKo8T-8dUi4MBekXJNikqoJ_l3

you don’t have the zip file for this collection i got mostly all them in my collection except for the MPC’ and maybe some of the other ones in this collection, and not having a zip files for this collection will take me or any body forever to download all of them one by one

• edited November 2022

🙏🏻

• It is this thread that finally determined me to join the site after 3 years of ‘lurking’. Thank you so much for sharing you links. Hugely useful. I just released a track made almost wholly from packs on BeatHawk. Just purchased iMPC Pro 2 in the sales. Some good stuff here as well first 5 packs were free with the App although needed YouTube to work out how to get them!