Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any audio editor that supports 96khz 32bit and AUv3?

As in the title: is there any audio editor that supports 96khz 32bit and AUv3?

Comments

• @jo92346 said:
    As in the title: is there any audio editor that supports 96khz 32bit and AUv3?

Could you clarify the AUv3 part? Do you want the editor to be an AUv3 host? Or do you want the editor to be an AUv3 plugin (this is unlikely).

• Try wavebox os free and the fastest way to apply auv3

I know it exports at 32bit, not sure about the hz

• edited November 2022

If you mean iPad Host auv3 then AUM can run at 96khz and 32bit but only with an external audio device connected. iPads don't run at 96khz internally unfortunately.

the auv3 should adjust to the host sample rate if coded correctly, you will find some apps which will pitch incorrectly at 96khz if not coded with sample rate in mind..

• Sorry for the lack of precision, I need a: auv3 host, so the editor could use some plugins if they work with 96-32 (which could also be an issue)

could an audio editor work internally in 96-32 and render the audio preview at wathever the iPad is capable of? and then exporting in 96-32 or less?

• edited November 2022

@jo92346 said:
    Sorry for the lack of precision, I need a: auv3 host, so the editor could use some plugins if they work with 96-32 (which could also be an issue)

could an audio editor work internally in 96-32 and render the audio preview at wathever the iPad is capable of? and then exporting in 96-32 or less?

ipads dont run at 96khz internally. you need an external audio device capable of running at 96khz connected.

• At least back in the days there was a separation of 'project sample rate' and 'output sample rate' but lately due to compatibility issues with plug-ins etc. most apps focus on targeting 'hardware sample rate' and avoid having core-audio re-sampling the audio before playback.

This creates issues when the 'hardware sample rate' changes.

Optimally an audio editor should be able to work with files with any sample-rate and bit-depth and use core-audio and its re-sample to hardware sample-rate functions. Those plug-ins that support off-line rendering can work at any sample-rate so in theory an audio editor should be able to edit and process a file at 96k and play it back at 44.1 or 48k without issues.

Ironically GarageBand can export a project at 44.1k on a '48k Locked' device while other apps (like Cubasis) can't referring to the hardware sample rate.

I know Twisted Wave can optionally use uses 32-bit (not floats though) for temporary storage when recording and editing and it can also select higher sample-rates (it uses Core Audio for re-sampling). For example when selecting 96k as the sample-rate on an iPhone 8 it warns that the hardware does not support recording at 96k and the result will be re-sampled, but it's still stored as a 96k file and playback works ok too.

But yeah, there's still some pieces of the puzzle missing on iOS when it comes to sample-editing and processing.

• @Samu thank you for the detailed answer!

• edited November 2022

@jo92346

Nanostudio 2 supports up to 32bit floating point / 96 khz samples (both Obsidian and Slate can load such format) , also build in audio editor is capable to edit / save them .. also mixdown / export supports that format ..

Of course NS2 audio editor is just limited in terms of features, basic trim, copy/paste, volume, normalize, fade in / fade out, reverse, remove dc offset, reverse, set wave file sustain loop points, save selection as new file - so it depends on how deep editing abilities you need.

Realtime playback is always limited by HW device .. In NS2 whole processing internally runs on 32bit floating point precision, only result audio stream which is sent to audio HW is downsampled to corresponding bitrate/sample rate, so quality degradation of hi-quality samples is very low ..

• edited November 2022

• On older devices Auria Pro can definitely run projects at 96k without needing to have an audio interface attached, however I can't confirm if this is still possible on the newer devices that use USB C - I'm fairly certain it's still possible but maybe someone with one of those devices can confirm.

• @richardyot said:
    On older devices Auria Pro can definitely run projects at 96k without needing to have an audio interface attached, however I can't confirm if this is still possible on the newer devices that use USB C - I'm fairly certain it's still possible but maybe someone with one of those devices can confirm.

In that case Auria just does resampling before audio stream is sent to HW device ;-) You simply can't play 96khz audio stream on 48khz hw DAC :)

• edited November 2022

@dendy: I'm using NS2, I know it can export 96-32, but, unless I missed something, it can find a way to use it to process a 96-32 audio track / sample

@richardyot thanks, hope someone can confirm

• @dendy said:
    In that case Auria just does resampling before audio stream is sent to HW device ;-) You simply can't play 96khz audio stream on 48khz hw DAC :)

I dont want to ear the 96-32 audio stream, I just want the software to load a 96-32 sample, edit it, and export it either in 96-32 or anything else I want. The audio preview is not (very) important.

• @dendy said:

@richardyot said:
    On older devices Auria Pro can definitely run projects at 96k without needing to have an audio interface attached, however I can't confirm if this is still possible on the newer devices that use USB C - I'm fairly certain it's still possible but maybe someone with one of those devices can confirm.

I'm guessing that Auria resamples the 96k down to 48k in realtime for playback.

• edited November 2022

@jo92346 said:
    @dendy: I'm using NS2, I know it can export 96-32, but, unless I missed something, it can find a way to use it to process a 96-32 audio track / sample

not sure what you mean with "process", but there is very simple audio editor in NS2

of course as i mentioned it's very limited, just few basic features

@richardyot thanks, hope someone can confirm

• @richardyot said:

@dendy said:

@richardyot said:

I'm guessing that Auria resamples the 96k down to 48k in realtime for playback.

yeah that 's it, basically all apps are doing same thing..

other thing is internall processing... on iOS AUv3 host apps are in most cases using in realtime samemple rate like device ser sample rate - that's because historically many plugins had issue that they didn't follow host set sample rate... when NS2 first come,it was capable of fully process all internal audio on 96khz and then resampled it just at the end to 48 ot 44khz .. but bevause of many plugins were hard-fixed to device sample rate and ignored sample rate set by host, rhey didn't work peoperly in NS - so NS was then changed to use for all realtime processing internally device actuall sample rate (which is unfortunate and i always hate it, but it is what it is ).

• @dendy said:

Eff me! totally missed that. Gonna try right to see if it fits my needs. Thank you so much for the info!!!!!

• @dendy said:
    yeah that 's it, basically all apps are doing same thing..

Many apps are now locked to the device sample rate, I know for example Cubasis is (unless an audio interface is attached). I'm fairly certain that's not the case with Auria though, and that it can use any sample rate from 44.1 - 48 - 96, regardless of whether an interface is attached. There may well be problems with plugins though, that does sound quite likely.

Maybe someone who has a USB C iPad (mine is currently under the Christmas Tree and so I can't test it before Christmas😛) could just try a simple test: create a new project in Auria at 96k and see if it plays back OK without needing an interface.

• The sounds like something Ntrack could handle.

• Tangentially, I’m doing my songs on Logic Pro on my MacBook Pro (so I must be a pro) and I’d recorded a lot of them at 96KHz because I could, but now I realise the atmos plugin and consequently whole machine really struggles because it is live downsampling to 48 (the atmos plugin is a huge overhead at the best of times, let alone the worst of times)
    So I’ve made specific copies of all the projects where all audio is rate-converted to 48 (project set to 48 first (or it can misalign!)) so from now on I doubt I’ll bother with higher than 48

• edited November 2022

Have you considered the app called Auditor from Living Memory Software?
    If I remember well, it can support 96-32. And I also think it can do batch processing which might be interesting for you since you are working on big sample librairies.

NB: not sure about Auv3 support...

• @JanKun tanks I'll look into it too.

• @JanKun said:
    If I remember well, it can support 96-32. And I also think it can do batch processing which might be interesting for you since you are working on big sample librairies.

Auditor does not support AUv3

• @espiegel123 said:

@JanKun said:

Too bad ! Another hit and miss from me ! Thank you for confirming ! Auditor is nonetheless a great audio editor, especially the batch audio processing which can be handy. But it seems the app hasn't been updated for a year. I hope Living Memory Software is still active. His app are great, I especially like Layr which is a very powerful synth!

• @JanKun said:

@espiegel123 said:

@JanKun said:

Too bad ! Another hit and miss from me ! Thank you for confirming ! Auditor is nonetheless a great audio editor, especially the batch audio processing which can be handy. But it seems the app hasn't been updated for a year. I hope Living Memory Software is still active. His app are great, I especially like Layr which is a very powerful synth!

Auditor is great. I find it the fastest app for comping or for fine, precise edits. It can use any sort of time units, calculate bpm from a selection. It’s great.

I think it does what the developer intended. So, I wouldn’t expect updates unless something causes it to break.

• @espiegel123 said:

@JanKun said:

@espiegel123 said:

@JanKun said:

Auditor is great. I find it the fastest app for comping or for fine, precise edits. It can use any sort of time units, calculate bpm from a selection. It’s great.

I think it does what the developer intended. So, I wouldn’t expect updates unless something causes it to break.

I find it very easy to include in my workflow. For exemple , when tracking instruments like acoustic guitars, I usually record multiple takes in one session. It is very rare to get the right one but sometimes all you need is to replace a short section on a overall good take. Auditor is pretty good at doing this.