Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iphone mastering plugins?

i just saw klevgrande grand finale on ipad. is on sale. which got me to thinking. what kind of AU mastering plugins are available for iphone?

Comments

• Grand Finale 2 works on iPhone

• Toneboosters Barricade.

• There is also AudioMaster, but it did not really gel with me.

Some some competition would be nice 😅😉

• @branis said:
    Grand Finale 2 works on iPhone

oh awesome thanks

• Hmmm, Grand Finale 2 seems good for an all-in-one mastering plugin, but I don't have it yet. I myself use MagicDeathEyeStereo, sometimes BarkFilter's Tripleband preset if it's EDM, NoLimits, and Youlean Loudness Meter to make sure the LuFS level is correct for the given genre I'm producing. There's also the Master Strip in Cubasis 3 if you're using Cubasis.

With that said, RX950 is great to add first in a mastering chain if producing Lofi as well as Woodlofier/lo-fi-af, and I plan to muck about with Needlepoint.

• Okay, I just got the Grand Finale 2 update bundle for $1 since Klevgrand apps seem on sale and I'm definitely curious how it will make my Lofi mixes sound as GF2 can be used as an AUv3 plugin. 🙃 Should be simple...

...RX950 into either Woodlofier or lo-fi-af into Needlepoint into GF2.

• tjatja
    edited November 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, I just got the Grand Finale 2 update bundle for $1 since Klevgrand apps seem on sale and I'm definitely curious how it will make my Lofi mixes sound as GF2 can be used as an AUv3 plugin. 🙃 Should be simple...

I did the same for 3 Euro.

But GF2 still has no configurable limiter, which I don't like, as often -1dB or -2dB TP seem to be asked for.

TB Barricade could currently be the best option, but it does not seem to offer LUFS and I cannot see if it's Limiter can be configured.
    Will not spend 12 Euro just to check this, but I may try to ask TB by email.

Some competition would be great 😉

• edited November 2022

@tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, I just got the Grand Finale 2 update bundle for $1 since Klevgrand apps seem on sale and I'm definitely curious how it will make my Lofi mixes sound as GF2 can be used as an AUv3 plugin. 🙃 Should be simple...

I did the same for 3 Euro.

But GF2 still has no configurable limiter, which I don't like, as often -1dB or -2dB TP seem to be asked for.

TB Barricade could currently be the best option, but it does not seem to offer LUFS and I cannot see if it's Limiter can be configured.
    Will not spend 12 Euro just to check this, but I may try to ask TB by email.

Some competition would be great 😉

Then again, if I master in AUM, I can use the gain effect after GF2 AUv3 to reduce the output by -0.3dB or thereabout.

And yeah, don't get GF1 as it can not be used as an AUv3 nor has an LuFS meter.

• Yup gf2, and gf1 bundle get them both for the same price as GS2 by itself.

• You can use gf2 in standalone too, save your recorded final mix, then open in gf2 standalone.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Then again, if I master in AUM, I can use the gain effect after GF2 AUv3 to reduce the output by -0.3dB or thereabout.

This is not the same!

You are not limiting this way, but reducing the whole gain after limiting.
    This also reduces your dynamic range.
    Not want you normally would want to do.

A Limiter really should be configurable.

• @tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

This is not the same!

You are not limiting this way, but reducing the whole gain after limiting.
    This also reduces your dynamic range.
    Not want you normally would want to do.

I mean to the extent that I can reduce the volume output so that the resulting audio recording doesn't clip.

A Limiter really should be configurable.

However, I definitely agree with this. If GF2 doesn't work out for me, back to my other tools that I currently use.

• @tja said:

Barricade does offer LUFS (but calls it LKFS) and you can set the gain to any value you like.

• Barricade is what I always use. It serves my needs and I like the analog modeling and the compressor a lot to add some extra sauce. My “mastering chain” tends to just be TB EQ, MagicDeathEye Stereo, MagicVerb, and Barricade. Sometimes Reelbus but I usually just use the tape model in Barricade

• Barricade also has true peak limiting, gf2 does not. And dither!.

I like gf2 but i guess is not a true master plugin, it needs barricade after it.

• @richardyot said:

@tja said:

Barricade does offer LUFS (but calls it LKFS) and you can set the gain to any value you like.

Great, thanks.

But I meant the Limiter, not the Gain.

Can the Limiter be configured to -1dB or other values?
    GF(2) is hardcoded to -0.1dB

• @tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

Yes there is a big gain knob which sets the ouput for the limiter. So you can set it to -1dB or any value you like, down to -20dB

• @richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

Yes there is a big gain knob which sets the ouput for the limiter. So you can set it to -1dB or any value you like, down to -20dB

Again, that sounds like changing the gain in front of the Limiter, not the Limiter itself!

THIS knob is the Gain, not the value for the Limiter.

• @tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

Again, that sounds like changing the gain in front of the Limiter, not the Limiter itself!

It’s the output gain of the limiter. If you set it to -1 the highest peak in your output audio will peak at -1

• @richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

It’s the output gain of the limiter. If you set it to -1 the highest peak in your output audio will peak at -1

The output limit in TB Barricade is set with the orange arrow top right, NOT with with the gain dial.
    You can set the arrow to what ever value you like and push the gain as much as you like and it will not go past the 'arrow'.

From the manual...
    "4.3.6 Limiter attenuation and output VU meter (section 6)
    This section shows the limiter attenuation and output VU meter for each channel. The needle on the output VU meter sets the output ceiling for the limiter. Double click the needle to enter a numerical value.
    "

• @Samu said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

The output limit in TB Barricade is set with the orange arrow top right, NOT with with the gain dial.
    You can set the arrow to what ever value you like and push the gain as much as you like and it will not go past the 'arrow'.

From the manual...
    This section shows the limiter attenuation and output VU meter for each channel. The needle on the output VU meter sets the output ceiling for the limiter. Double click the needle to enter a numerical value.
    "

Yes thanks for correcting that. I just checked myself and the peak limit is in the right-hand meter. Sorry for the confusion, I rushed my answer.

• @richardyot said:

Yes thanks for correcting that. I just checked myself and the peak limit is in the right-hand meter. Sorry for the confusion, I rushed my answer.

No worries :sunglasses:

TB Barricade is my absolute favorite Limiter and I really like the Compressor and the 'Models' that can be used to add clipping/tape-saturation, super handy for processing stuff.
    (I'd say I have a pretty good grip on how it works by now).

• @richardyot said:

Hmm. Interesting.

I tried to find something in https://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_Barricade.pdf

Here, it looks like it's a Gain only - from 0 to 20 dB, so no negative values:

In this case, this would be the same as I mentioned above - you are not limiting to -1dB but to something like -0.1dB (like GF) or simply 0dB and THEN reduce the whole output!

This is different to directly limiting to -1dB.
    You are also reducing your dynamic range by 1dB.

The Limiter settings would always be 0 or below zero.

But I can see no hard details here:

• @tja said:

The Limiter settings would always be 0 or below zero.

But I can see no hard details here:

That is what the 'Needle' is for.
    Paragraph 4.3.6 I copy & pasted above...

• @Samu said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

@richardyot said:

@tja said:

Great, thanks.

From the manual...
    "

Ah, great - many thanks!

I was composing my reply and did not read this in time 😅

• Maybe I'm dense, but a limiter with its threshold at -2 dB and the same limiter with its threshold at 0 dB and then a 2 dB gain reduction after it sound like exactly the same to me, except if the rest of the limiter's behavior is somehow magically affected by its threshold.

• tjatja
    edited November 2022

@SevenSystems said:
    Maybe I'm dense, but a limiter with its threshold at -2 dB and the same limiter with its threshold at 0 dB and then a 2 dB gain reduction after it sound like exactly the same to me, except if the rest of the limiter's behavior is somehow magically affected by its threshold.

A Limiter only caps the peaks.

A gain reduction reduces overall.

• tjatja
    edited November 2022

Limiter

------------ 0dB
    L

X
    ------------

Gain Reduction:

------------ 0dB

L

------------

Your "X" data may vanish or be much more quite than expected.

• So obviously, a limiter @ -2 dB will do more limiting than a limiter @ 0 dB with THE SAME INPUT SIGNAL.

But IMO, the following two scenarios still produce exactly the same result:

1) Input Gain 0 dB -> Limiter @ -2 dB -> Output
    2) Input Gain +2 dB -> Limiter @ 0 dB -> Output Gain -2 dB -> Output

As I said, except if the limiter somehow changes its behaviour depending on threshold (other than... changing its threshold 😄)

• @SevenSystems

Kind of 😅

But only true for input that has a headroom of 2dB and works fine with your Gain +2dB.

If the ceiling is about 0dB (no headroom in the source material) you cannot apply your +2dB - at least not without potential problems and depending on the bitdepth of your material.

Also, this way you may run into problems to aim for a certain overall LUFS.

I think that a configurable Limiter is the better way to handle this.
    And TB Barricade has it, as we know now.