Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Animoog Abandoned?

I messed around with Animoog last night for the first time in many months and was reminded how much fun it is to create sounds with.

Unfortunately, however, it seems Moog has lost interest in developing their iOS apps any further. Animoog for iPad hasn't been touched in over a year, and without an update for 2 years Animoog for iPhone is essentially abandoned. Filtatron was updated in November of last year to many people's surprise, but that was the last we've heard from Moog.

It's a shame, as both Animoog and Filtatron have a great sound to them. Who knows what might have been had Moog continued to develop iOS apps...

Comments

• Yes it's a shame. I stopped using anything without state saving.

• http://discchord.com/blog/2014/7/2/samplewiz-updated-for-ios-7.html

In the second comment Tim Webb hints at a future update.
    Hardware comes first at Moog (can't blame them) but they shouldn't neglect their best selling (and currently most innovative) synth :-)

They should outsource Animoog to Retronyms! Lol, just kidding

• Animoog is Nice...

It just needs to be updated to modern versions of AudioBus and AudioCopy and support for IAA instrument mode too, but that would mean they need to make the Midi IAP free :)

I think Animoog is soon 3 years old?(I think it was released in October 2011) so Moog might even be doing something special and skip the IAPs all together and bundle them in the app(I would love that).

I remember the 4 Track was given for free when registering with Moog Music...

• I think the free 4 track was originally a mistake, IIRC.

• R_2R_2
    edited August 2014

I believe the mistake was that the 4track only worked when the ipad was connected to the internet.
    They solved that with . . . an update :-P

• There are lots of other synths like Thor which has no been updated also.
    I love AniMoog but has not touched it in a while since it need modern features and a little refresh here and there

• Unfortunately for us IAA MIDI is only Host to synth, so they won't have to make the MIDI Out IAP free since MIDI In already comes wth the basic App.

• @dwarman said:

Unfortunately for us IAA MIDI is only Host to synth, so they won't have to make the MIDI Out IAP free since MIDI In already comes wth the basic App.

Right, but that would make it impossible to 'record notes to host'(IAA Instrument Mode) while in Animoog and it would just not make sense and feels greedy as almost all other apps already include midi out :)

• Like I said, there is no MIDI to Host MIDI supported by IAA. No synth can do it. However CoreMIDI is still available. Just not as convenently integrated as IAA host -> synth.

• Regardless of whether it's updated or not I will still use animoog. Great synth, jeez some of the gear in my studio haven't seen updates since the 80's ;)

• Agree, Animoog needs an update!

IAA and audiobus for the iPhone version please!

• @djjuniorpops said:

There are lots of other synths like Thor which has no been updated also.
    I love AniMoog but has not touched it in a while since it need modern features and a little refresh here and there

+1, Thor needs an update too.

• edited August 2014

I was interested in keeping Animoog around, but without AB & the lack of a significant update in recent times, well... I can use the room.

I also like the idea of filtering out apps without state-saving...

• Yeah, its a real shame that animoog hasn't gotten any good attention. It's a truly innovative app, and like thumbjam before it, one that begs to be played on a touchscreen. Would love to see it just get the basic updates others have suggested here. And wtf is up with Samplr too.

• Moog with Animoog deserves a lot of credit for this mini revolution we find ourselves in. It attracted a lot of people to the party.

Animoog was my first music app and still remains one of the greats, I do hope they are working on a new Moog app, to me would be much better than adding more features to Animoog.

I agree with boone51's last sentiment on Samplr, tremdiously useful and unique although hampered by a seemingly lack of development, but I still love it and use it regularly.

• For me the apps that look like abandoned are Thor, and the Korg ones (IMS-20, iPolysix, iElectribe), Thor has a few annoying bugs, all the times that I connect my controller I have to switch the midi input of Thor to that particular controller and back to all for it to work, and I won't even get started on the awful MIDI of korg apps.

Animoog has great midi implementation, it works great, it could improve the clock, but I have never experienced a bug with Animoog for ipad, for me it just needs to update the Audiobus SDK (which apparently will make it inter-app compatible and Start saving) and the sdk is not out for long, and I heard that Moog has a really small team working, so it is understandable, and for their history of updates you can see that they take a long time between updates, but everything works great.

Well, that's just my 2 cents ;)

• I wouldn't write this one off yet...

• they take a long time between updates, but everything works great

Might be something to be learnt here...

• That is great because it is the best sounding app I have found to date for synth. It is one of those apps I enjoy just playing all by itself because of how wonderful it sounds .. I purchased several of the extra packs and they sound even better than the stock stuff which i s saying something.. I am looking forward to the next update as you might expect.

• R_2R_2
    edited August 2014

@Sebastian said:

I wouldn't write this one off yet...

I'm constantly refreshing the AppStore after reading this ;-)

@Tritonman2 Yeah, the extra packs are a welcome expansion of animoog's spectrum. I especially like the Metallic and acoustic packs.

• Outdated and all, but I'm gonna keep this on the iPhone anyway. Such great, if limited, sound. Though it is not a typical Moog sound; for that, maybe Samplemoog on Sampletank could be an option.

After all, Filtatron was updated in November 2013 after more than two years, the previous update was in October 2011.

• edited August 2014

It would be time for an update. I love to play the Animoog waves trough AUFX space via Audiobus 2 but i have very often crash and also a lot stuck notes when connecting to other apps. I don't trust Moog here a lot but i hope i'm wrong....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

they take a long time between updates, but everything works great

Might be something to be learnt here...

Indeed. Updates could be cool but I'm happy with what I have now and happy with how stable it is. AB for iPhone would be welcome.

And samplr, oh samplr. So lovely. Honestly, all I want from samplr is a way to trim samples within the app (or, preferably, dynamically set in and out points). I could dream up other things but that's the thing that slows me down in that app.

• @Sebastian said:

I wouldn't write this one off yet...

That's reassuring. Thanks for chiming in about this.

As for anyone who's mentioned using old hardware in comparison to using old apps: it's a false equivalency. Hardware is (typically) immune to an OS update rendering it buggy or even inoperable.

• I am using animoog on my ipad mini through jamup pro and into cubasis via audiobus 2 without issues . I think I missed the fact that you were talking about its use with the iphone. I hope it gets worked out for you.

• There does seem to be a fairly small development team at Moog, but I'm hoping that they're still looking at updating the Animoog. The Animoog engine was partially utilized as the basis for their new Theremini theremin, and it shares many similar features like selectable scales and note quantization. Animoog was the first IOS synth app I bought, and I still love it.

• @PHᐃNTᐃSM said:

As for anyone who's mentioned using old hardware in comparison to using old apps: it's a false equivalency. Hardware is (typically) immune to an OS update rendering it buggy or even inoperable.

I've made this point before - the reason iOS apps are different than a physical instrument is that the landscape around it can change in ways that render it obsolete or unusable. However, in the case of Animoog, that hasn't really happened. AudioBus, state saving, and IAA were things that didn't even exist when Animoog came into existence. The iPad update that allowed it to work with AudioBus, therefore, was a necessary improvement.

But the app absolutely works and remains a useful instrument. There are several IAP's and a few third-party ones from Sunsine, etc. I just bought Animoog because the sale price made it a bit more palatable (I guess it's been as low as $5 on some holidays). It sounds terrific. I'd welcome an update, of course, but as long as it continues to work, I don't see the lack of one as a betrayal.

• Does anyone know if you bought expansion packs on the iPad version....do they work on the iPhone, or do you have to buy them again?

And how do you save presets on the iPhone version?, it looks like you can only overwrite existing presets and not save new ones.

• Never mind my second question, I just found this;

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20400

Animoog really is abandoned. :(

• That proves absolutely nothing.