Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The apps by Unfiltered Audio has been released

Comments

• Great news! I was able to identify the race condition behind the inconsistent latency reporting for Silo, lo-fi-af, and Needlepoint. I'm uploading a set of patches now, so public betas should be out tomorrow, most likely. These builds will also have the visual rendering improvements.

@waka_x said:
    trickyflemming:
    fab fast work:) thank you.
    about the latest changes -
    will these reflect on next desktop builds too!?
    ( cpu decrease and all ...)

thnx

Yes, but PA can be a bit slow when releasing patches. However, everything we've fixed here is fixed on all versions. Hardware rendering will still be disabled on desktop, but the visualizer frame rates bugs have been addressed.

• Great news, thanks for the hard work.

• As a quick update, everything has been submitted for public beta review. I'm going to send in another Tails build once I figure out how to get JUCE to trigger the prerequisite notification for AUv3 latency changes. It will take a few days longer on Tails. I apologize for the delay on that, but I really appreciate the patience so far!

• @trickyflemming said:
    Even in hosts with PDC, this means that things won't align properly. This is my main priority this week and I'm in communication with a few iOS DAW developers to see what's up.

Are you in communication with the Cubasis devs at all? I'm still baffled why this particular DAW has no PDC at all in this day and age!

• @DanSebPage said:

@trickyflemming said:
    Even in hosts with PDC, this means that things won't align properly. This is my main priority this week and I'm in communication with a few iOS DAW developers to see what's up.

Are you in communication with the Cubasis devs at all? I'm still baffled why this particular DAW has no PDC at all in this day and age!

No, we've historically had a lot of trouble getting in touch with Steinberg.

I reached out to @j_liljedahl on Discord and he was super helpful and knowledgeable. He was able to give me the info I needed to patch Silo, lo-fi-af, and Needlepoint for stable fixed latency reporting on AUv3. The required spot for reporting it differs ever so slightly from VST, VST3, AU, and AAX, so I'm glad it's fixed and that I learned something from it.

• @trickyflemming said:

This really calls for tagging of Lars @LFS and his Cubasis team over at Steinberg!!!
    I do hope they will get in touch with you regarding PDC among other things...

• @trickyflemming said:

@DanSebPage said:

@trickyflemming said:

I reached out to @j_liljedahl on Discord and he was super helpful and knowledgeable. He was able to give me the info I needed to patch Silo, lo-fi-af, and Needlepoint for stable fixed latency reporting on AUv3. The required spot for reporting it differs ever so slightly from VST, VST3, AU, and AAX, so I'm glad it's fixed and that I learned something from it.

Good stuff, both you guys and J Liljedahl are great devs who know your stuff and fix problems, much appreciated!

• @trickyflemming said:
    Great news! I was able to identify the race condition behind the inconsistent latency reporting for Silo, lo-fi-af, and Needlepoint. I'm uploading a set of patches now, so public betas should be out tomorrow, most likely. These builds will also have the visual rendering improvements.

@waka_x said:
    trickyflemming:
    fab fast work:) thank you.
    about the latest changes -
    will these reflect on next desktop builds too!?
    ( cpu decrease and all ...)

thnx

Yes, but PA can be a bit slow when releasing patches. However, everything we've fixed here is fixed on all versions. Hardware rendering will still be disabled on desktop, but the visualizer frame rates bugs have been addressed.

Excellent thanks! Your responsiveness and customer engagement are exactly what we hope for here.

• Great news on fixes!

• Do we know when we he bundle due to drop ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Do we know when we he bundle due to drop ?

Just buy the 4 you want the most, then when it does the 5th will be free. Voila!

• Bass mint is proving itself so useful for me. Along with Multiband from Blue Mangoo, my bass processing has stepped up drastically.

• Hey everyone, new betas dropped yesterday! All the links are over in the App Dev sub forum here. Interface rendering, battery use, and latency reporting should all be significantly improved. I’m traveling for a friend’s wedding so my response times might be slower for a few days.

• @trickyflemming said:
    Hey everyone, new betas dropped yesterday! All the links are over in the App Dev sub forum here. Interface rendering, battery use, and latency reporting should all be significantly improved. I’m traveling for a friend’s wedding so my response times might be slower for a few days.

You guys are awesome!
    You got my $upport always

• Silo latency compensation issue fixed B) <3

• Thanks @trickyflemming
    And have a nice trip and an awesome wedding
    And all the best to your friend and their beloved :wink: :heart:

• edited December 2022

Please let us know if the battery issues are improved both with and without the visualizers enabled. I've lowered everything from 33 fps to 24 fps on iPad. Edit: that's in addition to eliminating many unnecessary constant repaint calls we were doing in the background, so should help quite a bit.

• @amusesmile @trickyflemming Do you know if we buy 4/5 apps now, once the bundle drops will the 5th be free? If not, I can wait, just don’t want to.

• @king_picadillo said:
    @amusesmile @trickyflemming Do you know if we buy 4/5 apps now, once the bundle drops will the 5th be free? If not, I can wait, just don’t want to.

If the bunddle appear after January 2nd, the price of each app will double so I bought the app anyways.

• @amusesmile said:
    Please let us know if the battery issues are improved both with and without the visualizers enabled. I've lowered everything from 33 fps to 24 fps on iPad. Edit: that's in addition to eliminating many unnecessary constant repaint calls we were doing in the background, so should help quite a bit.

Hi …

I’m still getting unusually high battery consumption with latest Silo beta I’m afraid.

IOS 15.7.1 iPadPro 2017, AUM

Pattern of battery consumption seems similar to comparable situations with other apps which have had this issue i.e. battery consumption drops about 4% within a minute, then stabilises for maybe a few minutes, then takes another large drop, pauses etc.

I’m not sure about the drain rate of GUI open vs closed, visualiser ON vs OFF, but will try a few more tests to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

• @craftycurate said:

@amusesmile said:

Hi …

I’m still getting unusually high battery consumption with latest Silo beta I’m afraid.

Pattern of battery consumption seems similar to comparable situations with other apps which have had this issue i.e. battery consumption drops about 4% within a minute, then stabilises for maybe a few minutes, then takes another large drop, pauses etc.

I’m not sure about the drain rate of GUI open vs closed, visualiser ON vs OFF, but will try a few more tests to see if I can narrow it down a bit.

Battery drain is definitely improved with GUI closed, and also by shrinking the GUI to a smaller size.

• edited December 2022

Hi everyone, as you might have seen: the patches for Silo, lo-fi-af, Bass Mint, and Needlepoint have been released! These now stabilize the latency reporting so that it is always accurate in DAWs that support latency compensation (As an aside, Bass Mint has always been zero latency). Additionally, UI rendering is now done on the GPU instead of the CPU. This has greatly improved the smoothness of rendering. It hasn't totally fixed the battery drain issue, so we're going to try other solutions.

For Tails: I'm still waiting on a reply from the JUCE team. Just so we have a more stable version that is publicly released, I think that I will release a version that doesn't have the variable latency switch (currently only on the public beta), but instead has full latency that is stably reported. After that's released, we can go back to working on variable latency to make it more pleasant for performers.

For the bundle: It's been in review for nearly two weeks now. I apologize that I don't know anything more, but it's out of our hands. I just sent an email to Apple to see if there's anything wrong that is delaying approval. I should hear back in 1 or 2 days.

EDIT: Just heard back from the JUCE team. Looks like a fix is pending! We will just go ahead and move forward with the variable latency Tails once the fix is available. I'm about to fly back to Indiana in a few hours, so my response time will be slow until tomorrow.

• Well, here's something interesting. Silo still shows significant latency as an FX in the same channel as a hardware input. But as a send? No latency at all. So that's how I'll use it. Looking forward to Tails getting the treatment.

Thanks for conscientious work, @trickyflemming. Will buy the lot if Tails works out!

• @craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

@amusesmile said:

Hi …

Battery drain is definitely improved with GUI closed, and also by shrinking the GUI to a smaller size.

in that case, I'd like to make a build without OpenGL support to see if it's better on the battery.

• @trickyflemming @amusesmile

really weird issue with silo and lo-fi-af (latest build):

• on ipad air 1 (old one) in AUM (2048 buffer) cpu meter (AUM one) shows around 20%
      even if the plugs are not processing. (it shows the same if they process)

• on ipad air 3 in AUM (2048 buffer) cpu meter (AUM one) shows up to 40%

how is this possible ?!:) maybe the cpu meter in AUM makes no sense after all...

also-
    what about some sort of implementing a routine in plugs
    that detects if any signal goes in - and if there is no signal -
    it freezes the plugs so there is no cpu usage !?
    because it seems your plugs eat cpu even if they dont process
    ( and even with visualiser off )

I hope I can help somehow
    because the plugins are fabulous :)

thanks again for fantastic devices.

• edited December 2022

@waka_x said:
    @trickyflemming @amusesmile

• on ipad air 1 (old one) in AUM (2048 buffer) cpu meter (AUM one) shows around 20%

how is this possible ?!:) maybe the cpu meter in AUM makes no sense after all...

DSP meter in AUM (and most hosts) is a percentage of available capacity, which can change due to CPU throttling, so it's not a valid comparison in general

• @Grandbear said:

@waka_x said:

DSP meter in AUM (and most hosts) is a percentage of available capacity, which can change due to CPU throttling, so it's not a valid comparison in general

You woulda thoughta thunka that by 2022 a chip with variable clock rate would have a way to report load vs full power maximum. Curious the stuff we don’t have…

• @waka_x said:

also-
    what about some sort of implementing a routine in plugs
    that detects if any signal goes in - and if there is no signal -
    it freezes the plugs so there is no cpu usage !?
    because it seems your plugs eat cpu even if they dont process
    ( and even with visualiser off )

I hope I can help somehow
    because the plugins are fabulous :)

thanks again for fantastic devices.

The CPU numbers are not very meaningful until the device is under a fair amount of processor stress;

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing

• Bundle was finally approved! It should be visible shortly.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/id1655688597

• The Apple Employee finally reached the elusive “Bundle Deployment Office” located at the top of Mount Everest :D

BOOM, Purchased!