Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The apps by Unfiltered Audio has been released

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@realdawei said:

@Samu said:

@realdawei said:
    Experiencing high latency on all the plugins on my first test in GB iPadOS…however I’m on iOS 16 public beta…

Are there any other GB users trying these fx?

That is NOT the fault of the plug-ins but rather a good sign that hosts need to start catching up implementing PDC(plug-in delay compensation).

We’ve got all these amazing instruments and effects but the DAWs lag behind in features like it’s late 90s…

I’ve been under the impression that GB iOS already has PDC for years? . This doesn’t seem PDC related, feels like a genuine bug - the delay is significant

A quick run through with Tails on a guitar in AUM was nearly unusable. So much latency that I’m sure it has to be user error; no way would a beta tester not have flagged this. I’ll reinvestigate when I have more time.

Probably worth making a screen recording and posting a demonstration . It might help the developer understand the scale of the issue.

• Huh. That’s too bad. Is there a way to correct for this in AUM or the plug-in?

• edited November 2022

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Huh. That’s too bad. Is there a way to correct for this in AUM or the plug-in?

Does Tails add any latency for you when you add it on it's own with a fresh start of AUM and no other plugins?

• We will add a low latency mode for Tails. We wanted to do this shortly after release, but patches take a very long time to get through our distributor's QA process. Here we can toss something up in beta and get feedback. We'll get to that next week after we get through the holidays.

• Thanks!

Does Silo maybe need this too?
    @trickyflemming said:

We will add a low latency mode for Tails. We wanted to do this shortly after release, but patches take a very long time to get through our distributor's QA process. Here we can toss something up in beta and get feedback. We'll get to that next week after we get through the holidays.

• Here’s some latency test results…there does not seem to be any PDC compensation for this in AUM.
    In Silo this can be a problem when trying to sync grains to the beat as the latency is audible.

• Thanks for that @iamspoon, so Silo is definitely also in need of a bit of tweaking @trickyflemming

• I'll check out what's up with Silo. There should be minimal latency because of the compressor lookahead but that's it, unless you're playing back at speeds over 1.0 since then the read head goes in front of the write head. I might be forgetting something but from my memory you should see ~20ms and it should be compensated from the host. We might have a bug. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Thanks for taking a look.
    It seems like the latency is not compensated… testing in Cubasis 3 gave me similar results.
    Still great sounding effects, hopefully just a niggle with iOS PDC :(

• @iamspoon said:
    Here’s some latency test results…there does not seem to be any PDC compensation for this in AUM.

How did you check for delay compensation in AUM? In beta testing, despite seeing high latency overall (which was explained by the devs, but would make the effects generally unsuitable for live use), I always say AUM compensating for it.

• Some more latency stuff from AUM. Not sure I’ve got it set correctly…Random presets selected…if that has any bearing

• @Grandbear Not very scientific but I could just listen next to the click track (or drum machine) that the timing was behind the beat.
    Seemed like 20-30 ms so I concluded it might be PDC related.

• @amusesmile - Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I bought Silo, Tails and Bass Mint but none of them show up as AUFX in NanoStudio 2.

• @FastGhost said:
    @amusesmile - Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I bought Silo, Tails and Bass Mint but none of them show up as AUFX in NanoStudio 2.

Are they showing up in other apps? You might need to reboot if you haven’t.

• @iamspoon said:
    @Grandbear Not very scientific but I could just listen next to the click track (or drum machine) that the timing was behind the beat.
    Seemed like 20-30 ms so I concluded it might be PDC related.

Got it, maybe a video would be helpful; I'd say that if the plugin is reporting latency correctly but AUM is not compensating then it could be a different issue

• @espiegel123 said:

Well whaddya know, they're not. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot to get NS2 to recognise new plugins, it usually does it without even restarting the app.

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah - @Stargazer - I don’t mean in any way to imply that the FF UIs are unusable, definitely not. And as Samu said, they did actually improve them by making the ‘tap zones’ a lot bigger. The FF Creative apps are definitely worth getting if your budget stretches to them. But personally if I had to choose between 1 of those FF apps (Saturn is 20 bucks at the moment) or the whole 5 Unfiltered Audio apps (will be 20 bucks when the bundle is out) I would go with the UA apps.

I will say though, there is definitely some degree of delay with the reverbs (Silo and Tails) in AUM also while playing live - until just now I had always used them with sequenced midi and soundscape type stuff so didn’t notice this. I need to experiment more to see whether it just depends on presets, settings etc.

wanting to use tails and silo very percussively… have you figured out a work around for the delay?

also… patiently waiting for an epic spoken tutorial on these :))))

• @amusesmile said:
    I'll check out what's up with Silo. There should be minimal latency because of the compressor lookahead but that's it, unless you're playing back at speeds over 1.0 since then the read head goes in front of the write head. I might be forgetting something but from my memory you should see ~20ms and it should be compensated from the host. We might have a bug. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ah, ok 20ms of latency from the compressor but also 440 additional samples, non-sample-rate-dependent that we use to remove clicks when the read/write heads are moving past one another, so ~30ms total latency if you're working at 44.1k. I'll test in AUM when I get a second to see why it's not compensating properly or if there's more to the story. Can't see any red flags in the code, as it looks like we're reporting it correctly in all situations.

• @FastGhost said:

@espiegel123 said:

Well whaddya know, they're not. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot to get NS2 to recognise new plugins, it usually does it without even restarting the app.

It is a random OS thing and out of the influence of apps or plugins. Anytime you don’t see a new plugin, reboot.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It is a random OS thing and out of the influence of apps or plugins. Anytime you don’t see a new plugin, reboot.

Thanks for the reminder!

• These apps do sound very good, so I will hold on and hope for the update. And to be clear, the latency is felt in the playing when any of the Unfiltered Audio apps are even loaded in AUM, whether they are engaged or not. Removing them from a channel solves the latency problem.

• @Samu said:

@realdawei said:

I’ve been under the impression that GB iOS already has PDC for years?

Nope, no PDC in GB as far as I know as any plug-in that has any kind of 'look ahead' will cause latency in GarageBand.
    This is especially noticeable when you have the same audio-track on two channels and push the other track thru a limiter with has optional look-ahead (fixed or variable).

I recall there was a discussion regarding these plug-ins that they do report the latency back to the host but very few hosts support PDC so it becomes an issue that is more or less unsolvable for now.

These kind of issues among others drove me back to Logic on the Mac for DAW duties...

just did a test by putting L2 on the same piano track and setting the latency to the max 5ms…couldn’t really feel the difference, but the unfiltered audio plugs are dramatic in the lag.

• @FastGhost said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks for the reminder!

I checked on ns2 (only have bassmint atm), it shows up as ua bassmint (so under u, not b).

• @espiegel123 said:

I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem, but in the past people have said that when you first download an AUv3 app you should open it in standalone mode before loading it as an AUv3 in a host app like AUM.

The thinking was that it "registers" the app with the iDevice in a better way (or something like that).

Maybe one of the tech-heads on the forum can confirm this...

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    These apps do sound very good, so I will hold on and hope for the update. And to be clear, the latency is felt in the playing when any of the Unfiltered Audio apps are even loaded in AUM, whether they are engaged or not. Removing them from a channel solves the latency problem.

This too - I was playing Geoshred with a few of these loaded in the fx slots. Even when I took them off, latency was horrific in geoshred to the point of being unplayable. I did a device restart and geoshred now performed with normal perfect low latency. At the time I thought my restart had fixed things but now I see it must have been some of the UA apps causing this.

@amusesmile maybe you guys can test this with each app. Load an instrument in aum with fast attack and play it to a metronome, using the keyboard, trying to play on the beats. Now add each of your plugins and try the same thing, against a metronome and see how it sounds, both with the fx bypassed (slid off to the left so it is inaudible) and not bypassed. Certainly with Silo and Tails in current iterations they aren't suitable for live performance, at least based on my experience with live playing of geoshred and a few other synths in aum. As mentioned before I never noticed this previously as I was applying them to only sequenced stuff when I messed with them during the open beta.

• Yes - people have also recommended closing other kinds of music apps when downloading a new app, as well as turning off any kind of auto-update in the app store or test flight

@Simon said:

@espiegel123 said:

I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem, but in the past people have said that when you first download an AUv3 app you should open it in standalone mode before loading it as an AUv3 in a host app like AUM.

The thinking was that it "registers" the app with the iDevice in a better way (or something like that).

• Note that bypassed nodes in AUM affecting latency is standard behavior

• @Grandbear said:
    Note that bypassed nodes in AUM affecting latency is standard behavior

Ah OK, did not know that, thanks

• edited November 2022

@Gavinski said:

@Grandbear said:
    Note that bypassed nodes in AUM affecting latency is standard behavior

Ah OK, did not know that, thanks

Standard for AUM I should say, I don't know how PDC works in DAWs in general when bypassing or disabling

• edited November 2022

@Simon said:

@espiegel123 said:

In my experience, launching standalone doesn’t necessarily solve the problem but rebooting does.