Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My favourite movie is 100 years old!

edited November 2022 in Other

I've just come to realise that my favourite movie is 100 years old this year!
The original Nosferatu movie from 1922.

Why am I posting on a music forum about an old movie?

Because of the version I have with the soundtrack made by Art Zoyd. The most bizarre, creepy and perfect music/soundtrack for this old movie. I just can't get enough of it. I've watched this movie hundreds of times. Love the movie itself so much, amazing for its time, but most of all to just soak up that sublimely weird and freaky music/soundtrack by Art Zoyd. Some of it actually reminds me of Coil ❤

I can just lose myself in this movie and particularly this soundtrack night after night. So I thought I'd celebrate its 100th anniversary here by directing you to the version with the Art Zoyd soundtrack from a musical/sound design perspective. If nothing else, just listen to the soundtrack to the encounter with Nosferatu from 33:00. Holy shit, it's supremely sinister and addictive to my ears.
I'd also recommend from 52:40 for the soundtrack to the ship scenes.

Brilliant sound designs and atmospheres in this soundtrack from beginning to end.
Fangtastic!

Headphones essential!!!

Comments

• Hi Spider,

Thanks for the heads-up! Just listened to the timings you mentioned, impressive! Will watch the whole movie when I have the time. It's a great occasion to watch this classic movie again!

• edited November 2022

By the way, I was quite interested to see that director Robert Eggers (The VVitch, The Lighthouse, The Northman) is going to to spearhead his own remake of this classic.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/robert-eggers-nosferatu-casts-bill-skarsgard-lily-rose-depp-1234768441/

• The master...
    The Master!

• @NeuM said:
    By the way, I was quite interested to see that director Robert Eggers (The VVitch, The Lighthouse, The Northman) is going to to spearhead his own remake of this classic.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/robert-eggers-nosferatu-casts-bill-skarsgard-lily-rose-depp-1234768441/

Wow I didn't know about this. Hope it works out. Bill Skarsgard will make a brilliant vampyre. Loved him in the IT remakes. Thanks for the heads up!

• @rs2000 said:
    The master...
    The Master!

Heh! Knock was even more creepy than Orlock.

• @zvon said:
    Hi Spider,

Thanks for the heads-up! Just listened to the timings you mentioned, impressive! Will watch the whole movie when I have the time. It's a great occasion to watch this classic movie again!

Hi Daniel.
    Pity it was a silent movie. You could have compiled a cool sample bank from it.
    There are other more traditional soundtracks for this movie, but the Art Zoyd version just couldn't be any better and more suited for it. Apparantly it was released as a CD so I'm going to look for a copy!

• @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

Wow I didn't know about this. Hope it works out. Bill Skarsgard will make a brilliant vampyre. Loved him in the IT remakes. Thanks for the heads up!

Might be controversial but I love Shadow of the Vampire too… Eggers is truly great though, I had to more or less abandon/radically change a witch project of my own on seeing just how splendid his effort was.

• @NeuM said:

I've only seen the first 2 of these 3, but they're both brilliant. I was actually just rewatching our Vampyr rework last night @Spidericemidas. It's been years since I watched Nosferatu, I think the last time was as a teenager, so thanks for the reminder to give it another go!

• @Krupa said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

Might be controversial but I love Shadow of the Vampire too… Eggers is truly great though, I had to more or less abandon/radically change a witch project of my own on seeing just how splendid his effort was.

I think I saw Shadow of the Vampire once but can't remember anything about it. I'll give it another watch 👍

• @Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

I've only seen the first 2 of these 3, but they're both brilliant. I was actually just rewatching our Vampyr rework last night @Spidericemidas. It's been years since I watched Nosferatu, I think the last time was as a teenager, so thanks for the reminder to give it another go!

Yeah! I first saw Nosferatu when I was 15 and a bit of a goth at the time 😅 Fell in love with it instantly. I think it was channel 4 doing re-runs of old B&W horror movies in the 80s.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

Yeah! I first saw Nosferatu when I was 15 and a bit of a goth at the time 😅 Fell in love with it instantly. I think it was channel 4 doing re-runs of old B&W horror movies in the 80s.

Although I liked the Cure I was more of a Smiths / Nirvana / Mudhoney fan at the time. The Smiths and the Cure are the only ones I still sometimes listen to, but ooh, In and Out of Grace still gets the odd listen when I'm in the right mood 😂

• @Gavinski said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

Although I liked the Cure I was more of a Smiths / Nirvana / Mudhoney fan at the time. The Smiths and the Cure are the only ones I still sometimes listen to, but ooh, In and Out of Grace still gets the odd listen when I'm in the right mood 😂

Ah yes. Loved the Cure and the Smiths but leaned more towards the Sisters of Mercy, the Mission, the Cult, Siouxsie etc. Had hair down to my backside dyed raven black and crimped, bangles all the way down one arm and black silk handkerchiefs tied onto the belt loops of my ridiculously tight black jeans. Plenty of black eyeliner was a must too hahahaha! Great days.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@Krupa said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

I think I saw Shadow of the Vampire once but can't remember anything about it. I'll give it another watch 👍

I remember that Dafoe and Malkovich had each other’s hairstyles in the film.
    Dafoe was bald, and Malkovich had the floppy, brushed back ‘do.

How do you feel about Herzog’s Nosferatu remake?

• @Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

Ah yes. Loved the Cure and the Smiths but leaned more towards the Sisters of Mercy, the Mission, the Cult, Siouxsie etc. Had hair down to my backside dyed raven black and crimped, bangles all the way down one arm and black silk handkerchiefs tied onto the belt loops of my ridiculously tight black jeans. Plenty of black eyeliner was a must too hahahaha! Great days.

Hahaha.... Photos pleaaaase

• @Gavinski said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

Hahaha.... Photos pleaaaase

Lol nope! None exist!
    Back then we didn't have mobile phones or digital cameras like nowadays. And I did my best to avoid any family photo shoots at all costs.
    One chance existed of it being recorded in a year group photo at school but the deputy head took one look at me and my mate and actually banned us from the school photo shoot unless we washed off all the makeup and changed into more suitably conservative attire! Funny af! He hated us.
    I do regret avoiding cameras at that time now. It would be fun now looking back at those images! 😆

• @Spidericemidas I'm sure we could have some fun swapping schooldays stories. I also have fewer photos than I'd like from that time. But hey... It's maybe nicer to view them through the rose glinted glasses of time. Strikes me that that last phrase is a good name for a preset btw 😉

• @Spidericemidas said:

@zvon said:
    Hi Spider,

Hi Daniel.
    There are other more traditional soundtracks for this movie, but the Art Zoyd version just couldn't be any better and more suited for it. Apparantly it was released as a CD so I'm going to look for a copy!

I found a new copy for $44.74 on Amazon. They also have used copies from $15.

As for me, I’m sitting here listening to it for free:

On Spotify 🤗

• There are some excellent silent movies that are crying out for a good soundtrack. I’d love to see someone do a good job with Metropolis (Giorgio Moroder’s soundtrack was pretty awful, and I think he entirely missed the point).

Some of the early movies like Nosferatu and movies from a similar time have some great use of lighting and camerawork that should be a composer’s dream as far as material to score is concerned.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@zvon said:
    Hi Spider,

Hi Daniel.

Indeed, there are many great silent movies like this one in the Public Domain!
    I was around 10 (in the 60's) when I first saw that movie. I read the Dracula novel (Bram Stoker) around the same time. Thought about investing in garlic in those days! ;)

• @SNystrom said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@zvon said:
    Hi Spider,

Hi Daniel.

I found a new copy for $44.74 on Amazon. They also have used copies from $15.

As for me, I’m sitting here listening to it for free:

On Spotify 🤗

Nice!
    Yeah, I didn't think the CD would be cheap.
    Good that it's also available on other platforms, though.
    Enjoy! 😊👍

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Krupa said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

I remember that Dafoe and Malkovich had each other’s hairstyles in the film.
    Dafoe was bald, and Malkovich had the floppy, brushed back ‘do.

How do you feel about Herzog’s Nosferatu remake?

Herzog's Nosferatu, I think I saw it once, but again like Shadow of the Vampire, it didn't leave a lasting impression on me the way that the original did.

So I found it online last night and gave it another go.
    Hmm...Herzog did stick pretty close to the original. A few nice little nods and details included from the original.
    There were a couple of things I noted as disappointments.

The first encounter at night between Harker and Orlok was a missed opportunity. The original is so tense and freaky with a good buildup. Harker opens his door to see Orlok just standing there across the hallway. He panics and is looking for the lock on his door but there isn't one. So then he retreats and tries to find another escape route. There is none. So then he hides under his bed sheets (quite funny). Then you've got that wicked scene where the door opens by itself and Orlok slowly ambles into the room menacingly to the clearly terrified Harker.
    In Herzog's version, that scene just starts immediately with Orlok already standing in the doorway and Harker is not very animated at all. No buildup.

There was no inclusion of the mysterious horse and cart with its freaky driver which picked up Harker on the way to Orlok's castle and drove at adnormal lightning speed. (This is also in Stoker's original book that Nosferatu was based on).

Not much was made of Knock, the Real Estate agent as the weird and crazed servant of his master Orlok. He was brilliantly scary and strange in the original with a lot of scenes about him and his very odd behaviour.

Not much was made of the ship's journey carrying Orlok in his coffin and the way he traumatised the ship's crew until there was only the captain left. That's quite a long and detailed part in the original but hardly any detail on it from Herzog.

It looks like Herzog included and shot the original building, the old dilapidated house that Orlok bought, which was pretty cool to see.

Considering the original was 1922 and Herzog's was 1979, it surprised me how much more experimental and daring the original was compared to the 1979 remake.
    The original used what I assume would be like a stop motion animation technique to emphasise Orlok's supernatural powers when he was seen by Harker, packing his coffins onto the cart using his telekinetic-type powers. This makes Orlok feel even more powerful and menacing. In the remake, he just lifts them onto the cart physically.

Also in the original when Orlok wills Harker's door open by itself before entering his room.

Also in the original with the scene of the mysterious horse and cart that picked up Harker on the way to the castle, was sped up to represent the insane and unnatural speed of the journey, again emphasising the supernatural atmosphere and other weird characters as part of the folklore around the Carpathians.

In the 1979 remake, there are no filming techniques or effects to help suggest or enhance the supernatural situations.

Overall I'd say that the original Nosferatu is still the darkest, freakiest and most menacing portrayal. Every scene is just dripping with strangeness and freaky atmosphere. Interesting too as pretty much 99% of the filming is from totally static cameras! 🙂

• I love the Herzog version, and the soundtrack. It definitely left an impression on me when I watched it about 15 years ago. Plus, Isabelle Adjani is just absolutely drop dead gorgeous in this 😝

• @Gavinski said:
    I love the Herzog version, and the soundtrack. It definitely left an impression on me when I watched it about 15 years ago. Plus, Isabelle Adjani is just absolutely drop dead gorgeous in this 😝

True, she is rather stunning 😍