Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Audiobus with FL Mobile

Hello! I’ve started using Audiobus 3 with FL Mobile 4.1.4 and have noticed quite a few discussions from people not getting it to work. If this is you, you might like to check out this part of the FL Mobile manual https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-mobile-online-manual/html/plugins/FL Studio Mobile_iOS_InterApp.htm

There’s full instructions and a YT video. It worked for me first time!

Things to watch out for: I had the choice of “FL Mobile” and “FL Mobile (State)”. I chose “FL Mobile” and seemed to work. Also, if you plan to render your project to audio, you will need to record ant external MIDI device to an audio track - the video explains the whys and wherefores of this.

I hope this helps someone and apologies if it’s old news 😉

Comments

• The Audiobus option "FL Mobile (State)” will cause Audiobus to attempt to save and restore the state of FL Mobile in an Audiobus preset. This might not be relevant for a DAW like FL Mobile.

• edited November 2022

thanks for posting this @carlcaulkett

in my experience the caveat at the end of the video is worth noting. IAA is preferred to AB.

There are fewer moving parts and steps to make renders using IAA. I use the render functionality often to “freeze” midi tracks to audio so a simpler procedure is better for my workfkow.

But as mentioned in the video, not all synths work as IAA instruments, even though they may appear in the FLSM list of available IAAs.

the word is, IAA is now no longer supported by Apple, and newer instruments often dont offer it. So this may be an issue for some users.

I’m such a fan of FLSM and its own built in instruments that i don’t care that it lacks AUv3, or that some instruments dont work as IAA. Most of the greats do (Animoog 1, Nave, IceGear stuff, Wolfgang Palm stuff, Thumbjam, FM4…).

• It seems I spoke too soon. I tried to replicate the same steps today, and maybe I forgot a glaringly obvious step, but I just couldn’t get it to work…

Of course, the problem wouldn’t exist if Image-Line would pull their finger out and actually implement AU3. Yes, IAA is preferred to AB, but AU3 is more up to date, and is definitely preferred to both of these old technologies. I received an email from BLEASS, the people behind Megalit, explaining this was why they don’t support either, only AU3.

• @carlcaulkett said:
    It seems I spoke too soon. I tried to replicate the same steps today, and maybe I forgot a glaringly obvious step, but I just couldn’t get it to work…

Of course, the problem wouldn’t exist if Image-Line would pull their finger out and actually implement AU3. Yes, IAA is preferred to AB, but AU3 is more up to date, and is definitely preferred to both of these old technologies. I received an email from BLEASS, the people behind Megalit, explaining this was why they don’t support either, only AU3.

IL doesn’t seen very motivated to support AU. That may be because their user base is largely Android.

If I’m going to do something with IAA within FLSM, I’ll get it exported to wav ASAP and drop that on an audio track. Otherwise I’ll load FLSM as a source in AUM and sync it to another track with AU devices, export the AU track and put it on an audio track in FLSM.

Or create something entirely in AUM (or other app) and import a wav to FLSM.

Or just use FLSM. The instruments and fx are pretty good and I can get a lot done in FLSM alone.

• @anickt said:

@carlcaulkett said:
    It seems I spoke too soon. I tried to replicate the same steps today, and maybe I forgot a glaringly obvious step, but I just couldn’t get it to work…

IL doesn’t seen very motivated to support AU. That may be because their user base is largely Android.

If I’m going to do something with IAA within FLSM, I’ll get it exported to wav ASAP and drop that on an audio track. Otherwise I’ll load FLSM as a source in AUM and sync it to another track with AU devices, export the AU track and put it on an audio track in FLSM.

Or create something entirely in AUM (or other app) and import a wav to FLSM.

Or just use FLSM. The instruments and fx are pretty good and I can get a lot done in FLSM alone.

+++