Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

All We Need Is KNOBS!

Comments

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    I’ve seen some really cool akai midimix setups online that have way better replacement knobs than the default shorties, and they’re found for cheap. And really cool wooden stands to compliment it. That’s kinda on my wishlist

140$ + 30$ of knobs = 170$. You can buy a Launch Control in sale for that price and the build quality is better. The feel is important for me.

• @Telstar5 said:

@Frank303 said:
    If I were to order a new controller for knobs this one would be a top contender
    https://nakedboards.org/mc-24

@Frank303 : I think you’ve just negated much of this thread w that entry right there. It looks like the answer and thanks for that!!

And this one for faders

• Wasn’t there one of the members here that made their own quite impressive knob/button/control devices using (if I remember) Arduino?

That’s a point – I’ve got a handful of Raspberry Pi Pico boards, they can become USB host, and have phenomenally good programmable IO. If I had the time I should look for Pi Pico projects for usb midi controllers.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Sergiu said:
    Akai midimix does its job

I really dont like the feeling of the smalls wobbly knobs unfortunatly.

As I mentioned before in another post - you can easily take them out, buy some bigger/higher ones and put those in. That's what I did and it now feels way better than with those stock ones.

• Generally I don't use any midi controllers, but I have the launch control mini and the XL which are good for miRack and the occasional live jam in AUM.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    The Novation Circuit Tracks looks like a nice option.

Anyone here is using it?

Of course!!

• @u0421793 said:
    Wasn’t there one of the members here that made their own quite impressive knob/button/control devices using (if I remember) Arduino?

This Is Liam Lacey’s fantastic teensy based Turnado controller, though it has assignable cc’s and you could use it for anything.

I built one following his detailed instructions and another small version with just 8 encoders and no screen, I also added Bluetooth.

I had no previous DIY knowledge or expertise, though I learnt a lot along the way… and it needed a lockdown to find the time.

• Faderfox sc4. It’s like a midi fighter twister except you can edit the knobs quickly on the device, which is really the only thing I don’t like about the twister,having to use desktop app to edit . Plus it’s a sequencer but I don’t ever use that functionality. If I had the loot I’d go for the Ec4, which has a display you can label the encoders on.

• @tahiche said:

@seonnthaproducer Plus, it makes me look cool. If I’m fiddling around with knobs on a controller, I look like a nerd, but on a DJ Controller, I become the sound doctor, even though it’s literally the same thing 😂

We have a wineeeeer 🥇. 😂👏👏👏

Absolutely. I already quoted it into the box to congratulate the honourable member, but you beat me to it. What a legend!

• @supadom said:

Sometimes I don’t know what’s gonna happen 1st. Logic Pro XI on a 21” iPad running macOS with a 1000$ magnetic stand as a homage to the lampshade iMac, or novation updating the LaunchControl XL to the newer mk3 looks and programming standards……

• @supadom said:

Very nice! Here in Canada the Tracks can be 400$ on sale. The BeatStep Pro is 360$. To me, the Tracks is WAY more powerfull than the BSP. Not sure why people tend to prefer the BSP to go with their modulars instead of the Tracks. Yes, it's a standalone groovebox, but also, a powerfull midi controller.

• @Siens said:

Faderfox sc4. It’s like a midi fighter twister except you can edit the knobs quickly on the device, which is really the only thing I don’t like about the twister,having to use desktop app to edit . Plus it’s a sequencer but I don’t ever use that functionality. If I had the loot I’d go for the Ec4, which has a display you can label the encoders on.

Pros: Great product
    Cons: Soldout. (not for sale anymore?)

• If you don’t like to jump or catch, get endless encoders with feedback.
    Even if you do use it for one synth plugin or a fixed setup. The moment you change a preset, you’re blind.
    Using encoders with feedback does require the plugins to send all values back on a preset change. Its good to see more and more auv3’s do this.
    I think its funny one of the early classics Animoog did exactly that from the start.

I have many midi controllers, and tried even more and my perception and experience of using touch interaction totally changed when using well designed plugins and apps.

It really does come the closest to working with dedicated gear than any other setup that has a mouse, keyboard or midi controller in between your hands and eyes. It’s not the same as tactile knobs, but the interaction requires less brainpower to operate. Which is great.

For me personally a setup with hardware knobs only works when I can do what I want to do with my eyes closed.

That’s why touch interaction is great for daytime.
    My dream controller would be a BCR2000 with encoder built quality of a APC40. But with the soft-press buttons of the bcr.

As someone mentioned before. Touch mini is a good option. They do turn light but i changed the knobs.
    You could get two units and have 16 encoders per bank and always have the current value visible if you can decide on mapping and making some nice labels.

The midifighter could be a great controller, but the last time I tried them they had a dead area when the knob was centered. Not sure if they have fixed that later. The push function and the buttons on the side need a hammer to press. So send them back. Some led feedback, not precise. Nice formfactor.

But I can also tell you as with many things. Usually. You get what you pay for in this area.
    Prepare to play catch or jump.
    A cheap controller that is not made of plastic and has proper led feedback in the software domain (endless encoders + led ) simply does not exist imo. Even on my desktop computer I use an iPad as a control surface for the same reason.
    The sensel is also very impressive, but they discontinued it recently.

• @tpj Could you please list the AUv3s that support LED ring feedback for rotary encoders?

• edited November 2022

@Montreal_Music said:

@cuezaireekaa said:
    I’ve seen some really cool akai midimix setups online that have way better replacement knobs than the default shorties, and they’re found for cheap. And really cool wooden stands to compliment it. That’s kinda on my wishlist

140$ + 30$ of knobs = 170$. You can buy a Launch Control in sale for that price and the build quality is better. The feel is important for me.

Or use two classic Beatsteps for 32 knob encoders and 32 buttons. Plus free sequencing on top.
    Although I must say that I much prefer working with a smaller set of knobs (even 4..8 can be OK) mapped to only the most important parameters. Who wants to memorize what the 32 knobs do? Or label them all but always work with that fixed layout?

@u0421793 said:
    Wasn’t there one of the members here that made their own quite impressive knob/button/control devices using (if I remember) Arduino?

That’s a point – I’ve got a handful of Raspberry Pi Pico boards, they can become USB host, and have phenomenally good programmable IO. If I had the time I should look for Pi Pico projects for usb midi controllers.

With only 3 available ADC channels, the Picos are probably better suited to built an encoder type controller (unless you like to add a bunch of analog multiplexers which might be an option, given that you can get CD74HC4067 based ready made boards on ebay for under £2.).

• Launchpad Pro 3 for keys, and a Nanokontrol2 for Koala. The NK2 is such good value. It can do so many things.

The one thing I never use it for is as a mixer controller. Who tweaks the levels and pan of a DAW project so often that they need knobs and faders?

• @ervin said:

@tahiche said:

@seonnthaproducer Plus, it makes me look cool. If I’m fiddling around with knobs on a controller, I look like a nerd, but on a DJ Controller, I become the sound doctor, even though it’s literally the same thing 😂

Absolutely. I already quoted it into the box to congratulate the honourable member, but you beat me to it. What a legend!

I actually felt guilty about writing that post. You’re the one to hand out out medals here, and an impeachable record at doing so. But this time you were slow, you gotta keep it up!! 👍 😄

• @Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

Very nice! Here in Canada the Tracks can be 400$ on sale. The BeatStep Pro is 360$. To me, the Tracks is WAY more powerfull than the BSP. Not sure why people tend to prefer the BSP to go with their modulars instead of the Tracks. Yes, it's a standalone groovebox, but also, a powerfull midi controller.

Yes, I guess people see it as a groovebox and that perception persists. I used to have OG so originally I got tracks to drive Drambo. However due to some syncing issues and the fact that I wanted to be able to save whole projects in one place and keep working on stuff on the sofa I’ve gone the ‘just controller’ route.

Tracks is great and even if 4 midi tracks + 4 drum tracks as a limitation I find it just about right to keep things simple and not overcrowd songs. I still have loopy and Samplr to go on top of Drambo.

At £200 in the uk tracks is an easy choice.

• edited November 2022

or....https://yaeltex.com

Imagine a Drambo configuration ...

• edited November 2022

@Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@supadom said:

modular users go with the BSP cause of the CV interface. for ios inly been eyeing the BS because of size, can be had for ~$100, less if second hand, and do not need CV currently, though i’d prefer something bluetooth. more and more thinking that bluetooth DJ controller by numark or whichever manufacturer makes ur. i only have two hands anyways so two dials and a script to us buttons as bank switching…

• I have the Faderfox EC4 and highly highly recommend it, definitely worth the extra money for me. So far I have about 1000 or so parameters mapped to it.. It's been huge for me in opening up possibilities for recording automations, and having the device sync/display the automated values too. I think the cheapest you can get it is on Thomann: https://www.thomannmusic.com/faderfox_ec4.htm

• @tahiche said:

@ervin said:

@tahiche said:

I actually felt guilty about writing that post. You’re the one to hand out out medals here, and an impeachable record at doing so. But this time you were slow, you gotta keep it up!! 👍 😄

"impeachable record" - what a freudian slip. A good friend is one that keeps your ego in check. Thank you, mate 🤝

• @nod_rog said:
    I have the Faderfox EC4 and highly highly recommend it, definitely worth the extra money for me. So far I have about 1000 or so parameters mapped to it.. It's been huge for me in opening up possibilities for recording automations, and having the device sync/display the automated values too. I think the cheapest you can get it is on Thomann: https://www.thomannmusic.com/faderfox_ec4.htm

In stock within 11-14 weeks :(

• @Montreal_Music
    Awww womp..
    I forgot to mention that AUM doesn't have hardware sync (feature request!!!), but there is a Mozaic script that can save your values and sends them to the controller on startup at least. I also just set Atom 2 to send back to the Faderfox so it sends any CCs it's automating. And I am using GigPerformer which does have hardware sync, as well as Loopy Pro (I'm not sure if it works with all AUV3s).

• One more vote for Faderfox EC4.
    There is no way I am going to remember what a knob does, if it is not labeled. EC4 solves that.

• @ervin said:

@tahiche said:

@ervin said:

@tahiche said:

"impeachable record" - what a freudian slip. A good friend is one that keeps your ego in check. Thank you, mate 🤝

Oh shit, 😂😂😂😆 meant to say “ unimpeachable “. 🙋🏻‍♂️🙌🙌

• Any feedback on this one? On sale now!

• @mistercharlie said:
    The one thing I never use it for is as a mixer controller. Who tweaks the levels and pan of a DAW project so often that they need knobs and faders?

Who stops tweaking their knobs and faders for long enough to need a DAW project? :)

• >

For starters, people who perform and interact with their music.
    (Like me. I don’t use a DAW, I use AUM as a mixer for whatever I am performing.)