Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

YouTube "Shorts" -- who comes up with these kinds of ideas?

YouTube has apparently recently rolled out a new "feature" (at least on its mobile site) called "Shorts".

What is it you ask?

Well, it's basically a reduced version of their regular video player, missing basic features such as, you heard that right, SEEKING (!) or going full-screen.

To add insult to injury, it also PERMANENTLY COVERS the video with a button overlay that is, as far as I can tell, IMPOSSIBLE TO DISMISS.

How big a knot in your brain is required to come up with such nonsense?

Or am I -- like so often -- missing the point? 😉🤦‍♂️🥦

Comments

• They are trying to compete with TikTok or something...
    ...you know keep a person glued to the screen and swipe up when something annoying pops up and this way track what a specific user likes to watch :sunglasses:

• Yep it's to compete with tiktok. That's how a lot of young people like to watch stuff these days. It may be annoying for the old darts

• I've been doing shorts for awhile now and really like them. However I tend to do mine a bit different in that they're at least 10 minutes long and shot in landscape view.

• @Tarekith said:
    I've been doing shorts for awhile now and really like them. However I tend to do mine a bit different in that they're at least 10 minutes long and shot in landscape view.

This man knows the way.

• @Tarekith said:
    I've been doing shorts for awhile now and really like them. However I tend to do mine a bit different in that they're at least 10 minutes long and shot in landscape view.

OK, so there's apparently advantages for creators?

If they're 10 minutes long, then they're not really "short" anymore though -- and the fact that users can't seek becomes even more problematic.

• @Samu said:
    They are trying to compete with TikTok or something...
    ...you know keep a person glued to the screen and swipe up when something annoying pops up and this way track what a specific user likes to watch :sunglasses:

Isn't Instagram already trying to compete with TikTok? Can't there be one platform that focuses on one thing (properly watching "normal" videos) and do that well?

• @Gavinski said:
    Yep it's to compete with tiktok. That's how a lot of young people like to watch stuff these days. It may be annoying for the old darts

Well, it doesn't annoy me because I don't have to use it. I was merely interested in technical aspects, i.e. why would someone take an existing, well-proven interface, and then deliberately remove almost all of its basic features and sell that as an innovation?

• @zah said:

@SevenSystems said:
    How big a knot in your brain is required to come up with such nonsense?

You have to stay relevant with all age groups or you'll disappear or take a huge hit. So, a knot that wants to keep revenue up now and in the future?

I don't see a problem with the Shorts at all. But I usually seek them out specifically rather than mindlessly hitting one after the other.

Well, I've just pointed out a few problems. Am I mistaken?

Why do some age groups prefer watching videos without any kind of useful controls, instead literally covered with useless controls?

• @SevenSystems said:

@Gavinski said:
    Yep it's to compete with tiktok. That's how a lot of young people like to watch stuff these days. It may be annoying for the old darts

Well, it doesn't annoy me because I don't have to use it. I was merely interested in technical aspects, i.e. why would someone take an existing, well-proven interface, and then deliberately remove almost all of its basic features and sell that as an innovation?

Because that interface which was successful in the past is not popular with a large market. Whether their response is the right one, they are responding to changes in what is popular.

• @espiegel123 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Gavinski said:

Because that interface which was successful in the past is not popular with a large market. Whether their response is the right one, they are responding to changes in what is popular.

I guess I'm just too "Mr. Spock"-like to understand this "markets" thing 😬 🖖

• It's all about consumptive watching and competition with other platforms as mentioned. I largely ignore shorts on YT.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Tarekith said:

If they're 10 minutes long, then they're not really "short" anymore though -- and the fact that users can't seek becomes even more problematic.

Sorry, guess the sarcasm didn't come through in my post. I'll use the tag next time /s

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2022

@SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:
    They are trying to compete with TikTok or something...

Isn't Instagram already trying to compete with TikTok? Can't there be one platform that focuses on one thing (properly watching "normal" videos) and do that well?

Youtube also is doing "Reels" which are the same thing.

I found that TikTok had some interesting music shorts, but I don't really use it a lot. I view them as advertainment. If I see something interesting, I'm inclined to look further into it if they happen to have more long form content.

Case in point: https://youtube.com/shorts/NIcSo0q9UVg?feature=share :)

• @Tarekith said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Tarekith said:

Sorry, guess the sarcasm didn't come through in my post. I'll use the tag next time /s

😂 OK... sorry I just go with an "Everything is possible in 2022, no matter how odd" attitude into reading anything! So, sarcasm has become impossible to detect for me.

• They should compete against TikTok by making their site LESS terrible, not more terrible.

• @SevenSystems said:

I was merely interested in technical aspects, i.e. why would someone take an existing, well-proven interface, and then deliberately remove almost all of its basic features and sell that as an innovation?

That seems to be Google's business model: buy a good piece of software and make it worse. They've been doing that to YT and Docs for years now.

• YouTube "Shorts" -- who comes up with these kinds of ideas?

Muppets. 🤣

• Just tech companies raping the human mind and soul by elevating bullshit. Nothing to see here.

• @db909 said:
    Just tech companies raping the human mind and soul by elevating bullshit. Nothing to see here.

Not just tech companies, all of corporate. Yesterday I just realized that for years I’ve been fooled into buying bottled water, when city water is more than likely fine.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@db909 said:
    Just tech companies raping the human mind and soul by elevating bullshit. Nothing to see here.

Not just tech companies, all of corporate. Yesterday I just realized that for years I’ve been fooled into buying bottled water, when city water is more than likely fine.

Bottled water is basically filtered city water in a bottle. I don't know, I prefer to drink tap water myself with a bit of Mio flavouring. :)

• FFS I've just wasted a (rare) spare hour watching this shit. Went on to YT to look for Loopmix and Splat videos. Was led astray by sexy shuffle dance and cat videos. I'm ashamed but it's like crack.

• @FPC said:
    FFS I've just wasted a (rare) spare hour watching this shit. Went on to YT to look for Loopmix and Splat videos. Was led astray by sexy shuffle dance and cat videos. I'm ashamed but it's like crack.

🤣 I admit, I do love cat videos. I love dogs too, but I've always been more of a cat person despite being highly allergic.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@db909 said:

Not if you live in Los Angeles or Detroit.

• WHAT? This is the first time I rant about some kind of mainstream stuff, and NOT everybody gets back lecturing me about what kind of horrible close-minded redneck I am 🤣

I now hold the Audiobus forum in high regard! ☝️

• YouTube has been ass since they made a premium version
    I swear they make the “free version” screw up all the time and stutter and skip to try and make ppl buy the premium.

• edited November 2022

Hahaha, sounds quite familiar. (the shuffle dance and cat videos)

If youtub> @FPC said:

FFS I've just wasted a (rare) spare hour watching this shit. Went on to YT to look for Loopmix and Splat videos. Was led astray by sexy shuffle dance and cat videos. I'm ashamed but it's like crack.

• edited November 2022

@ruggedsmooth said:
    YouTube has been ass since they made a premium version
    I swear they make the “free version” screw up all the time and stutter and skip to try and make ppl buy the premium.

And they purposefully killed the ios screen-in-screen miniature video-whatever you call that- feature where the video keeps playing in a tiny rectangle when you leave the browser, just out of spite…

I wish ios finally allowed proper browser plugins, my old android firefox could do anything youtube definitely didn’t want it to do… :(

• Short videos for people who cannot concentrate for more than 30 sec and cannot finish what th