Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Were You MAD?

edited November 2022 in Other

I was. I couldn’t believe the first Mad Magazine compilations I bought at the drug store when I was around 12. Harvey Kurtzman and his band of crazed illustrators informed my humor, sexuality, rebelliousness and sadomasochism for the rest of my life. The oversexualized females made my pubescent heart go pitty pat and led to growth in all the wrong places. I lost interest in MAD when artists like Bill Elder and Kurtzman left. But, Lordy, the early days were fun!

Comments

• I really liked Don Martin’s visual style and sense of humour

• The topical satires of current movies and TV shows were so good. Page for page it was the best value on the news stand for really sinking into. Later, I had the same devotion to Downbeat magazine as music became the center of my life. Being a pack rat I had to periodically just let go of the stuff I collected and I still have a storage shed full of music gear after taking car loads to the music consignment store. I gave my teenage daughter 50% of the proceeds to manage that period so I didn’t have to deal with the separation anxiety.

• I had a subscription to MAD for many years from the time I was a kid up until my early 20s. Still have them all somewhere. Loved it then and I’m sure I’d love it now even though I haven’t read one in years.

• I wasn’t able to buy it until I was eight. My first issue had the Bonnie and Clyde parody on the cover (Balmy and Clod 1968)
    For the next 12 years, I bought every subsequent issue, special issues, and paperback anthologies.
    I loved that usual gang of idiots!

• Yes I had a subscription too, when I was a kid. The dutch version. I still have a pile of this magazine somewhere on the attic. But I have lost a lot of pocket books and specials. I had the board game too, and the Spy vs Spy video game.

Really great kind of humor. Movie persiflage indeed were great, I loved the Rambo II one.

I loved the Airplane movie too, and Police Squad tv serie. And in a lesser degree the Police Academy movies. What a great time to be a kid :-). Later I moved on too Monty Python, Spitting Image, and The Young Ones, but the Mad magazine really formed my sense of humor, that I still have these days (not always accepted by others.....)

• @zah, the Spy v Spy guy is mentioned in the vid. He was a political cartoonist who had to flee Cuba.

• edited November 2022

@zah said:

@u0421793 said:
    I really liked Don Martin’s visual style and sense of humour

Was pretty young, but I remember laughing at the expressions and seeing hats pop off heads during surprising moments.

Can't remember the artist/writer, but liked that both the Black Spy and the White Spy could get whacked in the end, and not just one side winning all the time.

Aragonés also drew the tiny little comic drawings often found in the margins or on the bottom of the pages.

• @u0421793 said:

You may dig these:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/gavin/album-covers-by-don-martin/

• Ah, a staple of my childhood teens and 20s! I was a 90s kid, but my dad had a stash of vintage MAD magazines he let me read. Then my parents gifted me a subscription to MAD for many years. We also religiously watched MAD TV every Saturday night. I was even penpals with the still beautiful and talented Debra Wilson. ❤️ (One of my many crushes as a teen. 😅 )

• So glad you posted this. Still have some issues stashed someplace.
    The guitarist and lead singer in the first band I ever played in remarked that he would ask his dad to draw up a logo design for us. Said he was an illustrator. Worked for Cracked magazine.
    It was John Severin.
    I was so thrilled with that. Read those two magazines cover to cover as a kid. Great nostalgia shot.

• edited November 2022

You’re welcome @Ben. i wonder how many gen Zs realize the storied past of MAD magazine.

• Loved MAD!

• @JeffChasteen said:

@u0421793 said:

You may dig these:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/gavin/album-covers-by-don-martin/

thanks

it says it's blocked - so fuck them