Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala is so freaking cool

I made this little melody last night with the samples included with Koala and a little humming clip I recorded in Koala as well. This app is so fun and easy to use. The only thing I am not sure is if you can apply effects to individuals samples from the fx addon.
Using samples is a blast!!

Comments

• @magnusovi What I like about this little tune is you kept incorporating new ideas to keep it fresh. Nice job.

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    @magnusovi What I like about this little tune is you kept incorporating new ideas to keep it fresh. Nice job.

Wow man it is so cool you said that. I was trying different combinations, I was doing them in short intervals, I am talking about 4 to 6 bars long. Then at the end of the night I combined them all. To me the coolest part of this little project was how different things can be achieved with the same elements!

• Great job. 👍🏼

• It sounds great. You definitely should incorporate more of your voice singing melody with a few basic lyrics, you have a great voice, please use it !

• @wim said:
    Great job. 👍🏼

Thanks Wim! Yours is the type of validation that a noob like me needs to keep going!!

@JanKun said:
    It sounds great. You definitely should incorporate more of your voice singing melody with a few basic lyrics, you have a great voice, please use it !

Wow man! This means so much coming from you. I will use more of my voice and hopefully once I am better with production we can collaborate on something.

Thanks all for checking out my stuff!! Love you all!

• edited November 2022

Also I wanted to mention that the synth melody at 0.51s was inspired by @Lady_App_titude futuristic solo on her song “We won’t go back”. Of course my sounds are nothing compared to her work but since I heard her song I got it stuck in my head lol. I flipping love that song!

• The best app is the human voice, and this creation is so much better with your vocals on it.
    The melody and the beat is so refreshing, so hip.
    Thanks for sharing this beauty.
    Rene

• @magnusovi said:
    Also I wanted to mention that the synth melody at 0.51s was inspired by @Lady_App_titude futuristic solo on her song “We won’t go back”. Of course my sounds are nothing compared to her work but since I heard her song I got it stuck in my head lol. I flipping love that song!

Wow, thanks! Can't say I hear any similarity, but thanks for your kind words.. What it reminds me of a teeny tiny bit (not musically, but just in terms of maximum use of minimal vocal samples) is my song "Go With The Flow", where I milked two tiny vocal samples for as much melody as possible.

• edited November 2022

@Lady_App_titude said:

@magnusovi said:

Wow, thanks! Can't say I hear any similarity, but thanks for your kind words.. What it reminds me of a teeny tiny bit (not musically, but just in terms of maximum use of minimal vocal samples) is my song "Go With The Flow", where I milked two tiny vocal samples for as much melody as possible.

The futuristic solo pops in my head pretty often for some reason haha. When I heard the sample in koala that sounds like a type of organ or something, the solo….. popped in my head lol. It will take me years to sound even close to such good production like the one in “We won’t go back”.

“Go with the flow” is so good!!! Funky and vibey! New fav!!!! I can’t believe in the description you mentioned you didn’t love the synth at first. It sounds like you mastered the hell outta of it!

• edited November 2022

@magnusovi said:

“Go with the flow” is so good!!! Funky and vibey! New fav!!!! I can’t believe in the description you mentioned you didn’t love the synth at first. It sounds like you mastered the hell outta of it!

Thanks!

There were two things that made Waves Flow Motion a little hard to cozy up to initially.

The first is that I come from the old days of FM, the 80s, Yamaha hardware FM synths. Flow Motion can do that sound, but most of the presets seem more designed to appeal to the Wub/Dub Step/EDM, etc. era. You have to dig into it a bit in order to coax a more retro or classic FM vibe out of it.

The second thing that put me off is that none of the presets have mod wheel assigned to vibrato by default. There is a way to do add it, but it is extremely counter-intuitive and involves like 6-7 steps. And it is is not explained anywhere in the manual. I had to write to Waves support, who explained the steps. It was so complicated that I had to write a tutorial that I need to consult every time I need to add vibrato to a patch. [Waves are far from the only company guilty of making something as basic as mod wheel vibrato so inaccessible. Kontakt is similarly user hostile. There are many other examples of otherwise excellent synths that burn the user when it comes to mod wheel vibrato (cough, Synthmaster). ]

I recorded the song "Go With The Flow" before I got an answer from Waves support, so vibrato on that track had to be done by rocking the pitch bend back and forth. Took a lot of practice to master that technique again. But, there is also a side benefit to that limitation: Even though it's harder to play like that, I like the fact that you can vary the vibrato RATE on the fly! (Which is done all over that solo.)

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    The best app is the human voice, and this creation is so much better with your vocals on it.
    The melody and the beat is so refreshing, so hip.
    Thanks for sharing this beauty.
    Rene

Thank you Rene! I’m glad I can make something that some people appreciate. Sometimes that’s the best reward.

As promised, I made another quick Koala loop with mostly vocals and a few native samples. I stayed home sick from work and cooked this up with a sore throat so that’s the reason I think it sounds kinda airy.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@magnusovi said:

Thanks!

There were two things that made Waves Flow Motion a little hard to cozy up to initially.

The first is that I come from the old days of FM, the 80s, Yamaha hardware FM synths. Flow Motion can do that sound, but most of the presets seem more designed to appeal to the Wub/Dub Step/EDM, etc. era. You have to dig into it a bit in order to coax a more retro or classic FM vibe out of it.

The second thing that put me off is that none of the presets have mod wheel assigned to vibrato by default. There is a way to do add it, but it is extremely counter-intuitive and involves like 6-7 steps. And it is is not explained anywhere in the manual. I had to write to Waves support, who explained the steps. It was so complicated that I had to write a tutorial that I need to consult every time I need to add vibrato to a patch. [Waves are far from the only company guilty of making something as basic as mod wheel vibrato so inaccessible. Kontakt is similarly user hostile. There are many other examples of otherwise excellent synths that burn the user when it comes to mod wheel vibrato (cough, Synthmaster). ]

I recorded the song "Go With The Flow" before I got an answer from Waves support, so vibrato on that track had to be done by rocking the pitch bend back and forth. Took a lot of practice to master that technique again. But, there is also a side benefit to that limitation: Even though it's harder to play like that, I like the fact that you can vary the vibrato RATE on the fly! (Which is done all over that solo.)

It’s such a good production that I couldn’t tell how difficult it was. It sounded effortless which shows how amazing you are!! Thanks for showing it to me!

• @magnusovi said:

It’s such a good production that I couldn’t tell how difficult it was. It sounded effortless which shows how amazing you are!! Thanks for showing it to me!

<3

• Just realized that if you host Koala inside Drambo, you can place a note trig in Drambo’s sequencer and it will trigger Koala to record a sample, and then play it back on subsequent repeats.

This means you can use Koala to resample, in sync with the song, and also play back in sync. Like the Octatrack. 🤯

• Another quick and unmixed lazy loop on Koala. This time with actual words.

Sampling is so fun!

• edited February 2023

Today I bought Koala. I know I'm a little late to the party. I'm extremely happy with the app (and a little bit annoyed that I just bought this app today). 30 minutes later, I also bought the two IAP ;).

Now I have a question using Koala AUv3 inside AUM: Is there any way/routing to resample with external AUv3 effects directly in Koala (not via AUM's own audio recorder)?

• @klangsulfat said:
    Today I bought Koala. I know I'm a little late to the party. I'm extremely happy with the app (and a little bit annoyed that I just bought this app today). 30 minutes later, I also bought the two IAP ;).

Now I have a question using Koala AUv3 inside AUM: Is there any way/routing to resample with external AUv3 effects directly in Koala (not via AUM's own audio recorder)?

Yes, just host Koala in an effects slot in AUM.

• edited February 2023

@Samu said:

Thanks. But that's not what I meant. I would like to resample a sample inside Koala using an additional AUv3 effect. Kind of like an insert effect. I think this is not possible. Most likely I have to record the sample plus effect part with the AUM recorder and import the resulting sample back into Koala. Which is unfortunately a very cumbersome procedure.

• @klangsulfat said:

@Samu said:

Thanks. But that's not what I meant. I would like to resample a sample inside Koala using an additional AUv3 effect. Kind of like an insert effect. I think this is not possible. Most likely I have to record the sample plus effect part with the AUM recorder and import the resulting sample back into Koala. Which is unfortunately a very cumbersome procedure.

You could use the multi-out version of Koala, send the pad to a track with the desired AUv3 effect and route that track back to the bus Koala is sampling from. This way you can trigger the sound you want to re-sample and a new target pad at the same time.

• @klangsulfat said:

@Samu said:

I don’t think it’s necessary. thanks to the multi out feature of Koala.

Koala added as effect on an audio channel, you output the sample you want to be processed on, say, port 2, you add this Koala port 2 as effect on another AUM channel. Insert your effect after it. Send the output of this AUM channel as input of the channel of the Koala instance.
    Then when you play the sample you can record it with effect directly in Koala.

I think there is such AUM session file you can download on Patchstorage. Try
    https://patchstorage.com/petesasqwax-koala-resampler-rig/

• I've been having a bit of a crisis of late, music-wise, and my solution was to pack up all hardware except for my Push 2, and my computer and iPad of course. I thought I might just use Ableton for a while, but then I hooked up my iPad to the Mac via an iConnect interface, and fired up Koala.

It's close to perfect for me right now. I mostly use stock effects and instruments in Ableton, but I love Koala's super-easy sampling, resampling, sequencing, and all that. So I have Ableton set to send any track I like to Koala, and Koala goes back to an audio track on Ableton to record the results.

It's fantastic. Koala has taken the place off my old (since sold) Octatrack, for mangling stuff from Ableton and sending it back. It's so easy to grab a sample, sequence it into a little clip, and record it as a clip in Session View. And then there are all the great Koala FX.

Koala is running standalone, and thanks to the iConnect it's easy to route the audio. I'm using Ableton Link for sync.

I was pretty close to buying a Digitakt to use for samples and drums, but I'm slowly going off the idea. Plus it's easy to take Koala on the go, play around, and bring the results back to Ableton later.