Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Adele can seriously damage your health

From Marc Weidenbaum’s fascinating audio culture newsletter,

https://thisweekinsound.substack.com/p/weaponized-rickrolling?utm_medium=email

news that researchers were able to insert audio frequency cues into an Adele song sufficient to cause a potentially deadly physical leak in a virus research facility:

“VIRAL HIT “Spreading Deadly Pathogens Under the Disguise of Popular Music” is the catchy title of the article in question (read the PDF). Its authors designed music to trick the sensors in a biolab to leak hazards. The resulting music triggers resonant-frequency thresholds used in the safety system. (That’s my poor paraphrase.) This is, in a manner of speaking, weaponized rickrolling.

This is a flow chart depicting, in a series of steps, how the attack described in the article might occur.
That’s Entertainment: From the pop charts to a flow chart
“The attacker selects music and inserts segments of resonant frequencies within the music ... using a software named Adobe Audition. Though someone who has listened to the music many times before may identify the change in the music, the vast majority of people will either be oblivious of the change or will incorrectly ascribe the change in the music to a speaker issue.” The song used as an example? “Hello” by Adele. The authors are a professor (Mohammad Abdullah Al Faruque) and two researchers (Anomadarshi Barua and Yonatan Gizachew Achamyeleh) from the University of California, Irvine.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2210.03688.pdf?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Comments

• I have always used this track as my internet connection test. I thought it was clever to use something related to hello world. I think I am now officially quitting listening to anything that would be termed "pop". Adds a completely different association to the word. Thanks for sharing.

• Cue droves of forum members wanting an iOS port of Audition, and an equally noisy faction using it as proof that desktop is the only way to go… 🤣🤣🤣🤣