Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I want a youtuber to tell me something is crap

Very random rant - I'm getting kinda annoyed with 'comparison' reviews that just never pick a side. I guess as a channel owner your never want to piss anyone off. But sometimes I just want someone to come and say 'i like this synth/app/gear/whatever, it's better than the other one', end of video. Like, express your opinion sometimes! It's possible to be respectful and inclusive without devolving into mealy mouthed platitudes.

Comments

• Benn Jordan and the Akai MPC Keys.

• Too much? ;)

• @el_bo said:
    Too much? ;)

Someone should do reviews which always end with the reviewer smashing the equipment.

• @el_bo said:
    Too much? ;)

This was GREAT...

"I hope none of you watch this video because Imma need some sucker to buy this piece of shit off of me so... have a good one"

• Something is crap.

Did that help?

• Mission accomplished. Thread closed.

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Mission accomplished. Thread closed.

👍

• edited October 2022

At heart, the YouTube gear demo world is just a bunch of citizen salesfolk trying to make money on YouTube. They are, like many content creators, more "journalist-adjacent" than journalists proper. I'm not judging it - they do provide a service, and there's useful info to be had, particularly if you're curious about a potential buy's workflow or sound - but that's the game. Most don't have full staffs, lawyers, or some kind of venture capitalist power backing their channels. They aren't like the NYTimes, where status and authority will protect an honest review of theater, film, or TV. They make their money from views/ads and need stuff to test/examine in order to continue making content. If they go around saying "App X is weak" or "Hardware Y is worse than Hardware Z," they're basically asking the critiqued companies - and other companies, if a negative rep builds - to cease providing freebies, discounts, and test gear for their channels. If this happens enough, the channel will cease to be. Thus: kid gloves.

I recognize that this sounds iffy and gross on its surface, but it's not wild or unprecedented, particularly in the niche space we occupy. It's just the way the sausage is made, for better or worse. I worked in/around music mags for over half a decade, and plenty had a similar credo: don't write a completely negative review. Exciting new gear - like exciting new music - will always garner a real, enthusiastic review; the newest SP-404, for example, seemed to have folks coming out of the woodwork specifically to wax lyrical about it. But taste is ultimately subjective, and bad gear - like bad music - has a right to live. If you're desperate for Simon the Magpie to declare the Whirlwind DI a piece of garbage vs. a Neve model, consider his lack of straight-up negative review to be an editorial decision, not a kind of dishonesty.

Having said that, big ups to Andy Martin, Warren Huart, JHS, Bad Gear, and Reverb - they're all great at showing cheap tools doing solid work, and that's likely the best you're going to get on YouTube. (Bad Gear may be of particular interest to you, as he sometimes outright doesn't like stuff. See: the OP-1.)

• @el_bo said:
    Too much? ;)

But everyone know that things has been the laughing stock of gear since it’s inception. A little overblown? Prolly.

• Watch Red Means Recording’s review of the Volca FM 2.

• I really can’t tell which way Luke’s leaning on this particular review:
    Any idea?

• Bad gear? There's a series for that: "Bad Gear" by Audiopilz.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AudioPilz/videos

Warning: addictive.

• @bigcatrik said:
    Bad gear? There's a series for that: "Bad Gear" by Audiopilz.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AudioPilz/videos

Warning: addictive.

I love this channel and definitely think people should watch it, but 95% of the time he’s finding good things to say about gear that other people hate. So in that sense, it’s the OPPOSITE of what OP is asking for! Still a great channel.

@mangecoeur in general, YouTube musicians aren’t reviewing gear — they’re marketing it. Sometimes I find it exhausting but I can usually remind myself that the people designing new gear are, by and large, musicians making the kind of tools they themselves want to use. In that sense, it’s really hard to look at something in a negative light AND tell other people that it’s bad. But I need to take long, frequent breaks from gear YouTube because it’s primarily advertisements and op-eds.

• Try this guy..

• white sea studios is the best for this

• @u0421793 said:
    I really can’t tell which way Luke’s leaning on this particular review:
    Any idea?

I think that’s just about the worst take. Imo, he completely misses the point(s).

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@el_bo said:
    Too much? ;)

But everyone know that things has been the laughing stock of gear since it’s inception. A little overblown? Prolly.

Now, perhaps. But I think this was made around the time, no? In which case, this now infamous video might certainly have contributed to it laughing-stock-ness :)

• This one made me laugh, very irreverent.
    I especially relate to the conundrum of ageing vs taste in music changing.

• Is there any channel like this for iOS apps? Or are the free giveaway codes too good to pass up?

• @MadeofWax said:

Specter sound studio is very honest about the gear he try. The gear reviews are funded by his donation. He recently bought a Dave Mustaine Gibson guitar for 3k or 4k. The paint job was pretty bad and cracked. He was not afraid to say it at length. The Gibson fanboy have been crying all over his comments ever since. 😂

• @db909 said:
    Is there any channel like this for iOS apps? Or are the free giveaway codes too good to pass up?

Well, I certainly am not afraid to make criticisms of apps and in fact have taken flak from at least one person on this forum who thought I shouldn't be criticising devs products. But in general I mostly only review stuff I like. The scene is too small for me to want to go shit over someone's app on youtube. I often get sent promo codes for apps that I don't like or that I don't think my viewers would be interested in, and in these cases I just don't make vids on them. I was on the beta for Flip and received promo codes to give away but I returned them as i hated the lack of connectivity as well as the fact that Andrew Huang and his influencer mates who were bigging it up clearly didn't understand the ios ecosystem. Could I have made a vid about that? Yes, but I chose not to. Would it have had a lot of views etc? Yes but that's not really how I roll. The closest I have come to a Diss video was perhaps the vid I did on the Krill synth randomizer, but it was a balanced vid and I was careful to mention that I genuinely do recommend the synth itself.

Jakob has made vids several times about apps he didn't like - LK springs to mind - and I think that is also a valid choice and useful for viewers. I also don't like LK but that is simply expressed by the fact I never made a vid on it and never use it in my vids.

Respectfully pointing out flaws in apps and areas for improvement is useful for devs and the community. There will always be people who don't like a given app for one or another reason, being free to express their views is entirely their prerogative, being free to disagree and debate those views is also important, as is being free to decide you would rather avoid such vids / threads. Pretty simple really!

• I was also heavily criticial of certain aspects of Beatcutter in my vids on it, even though I love lots5of things about the app, still use it, and am in regular touch with Igor, who I get along with very well

• @Gavinski said:

@db909 said:
    Is there any channel like this for iOS apps? Or are the free giveaway codes too good to pass up?

Well, I certainly am not afraid to make criticisms of apps and in fact have taken flak from at least one person on this forum who thought I shouldn't be criticising devs products. But in general I mostly only review stuff I like. The scene is too small for me to want to go shit over someone's app on youtube. I often get sent promo codes for apps that I don't like or that I don't think my viewers would be interested in, and in these cases I just don't make vids on them. I was on the beta for Flip and received promo codes to give away but I returned them as i hated the lack of connectivity as well as the fact that Andrew Huang and his influencer mates who were bigging it up clearly didn't understand the ios ecosystem. Could I have made a vid about that? Yes, but I chose not to. Would it have had a lot of views etc? Yes but that's not really how I roll. The closest I have come to a Diss video was perhaps the vid I did on the Krill synth randomizer, but it was a balanced vid and I was careful to mention that I genuinely do recommend the synth itself.

Jakob has made vids several times about apps he didn't like - LK springs to mind - and I think that is also a valid choice and useful for viewers. I also don't like LK but that is simply expressed by the fact I never made a vid on it and never use it in my vids.

Respectfully pointing out flaws in apps and areas for improvement is useful for devs and the community. There will always be people who don't like a given app for one or another reason, being free to express their views is entirely their prerogative, being free to disagree and debate those views is also important, as is being free to decide you would rather avoid such vids / threads. Pretty simple really!

Maybe one of the things people don’t like is youtubers who only comment on their own threads. That’s clearly NOT you, Gavinski, and Seonn also springs to mind as someone who is just as much a forum participant as using the forum for promotion. Some, though, only ever seem to appear on their own threads. I can understand why - time constraints and the like - but maybe ios music is still at a stage where community enthusiasm is really appreciated.

• @purpan2 said:

@Gavinski said:

@db909 said:

Maybe one of the things people don’t like is youtubers who only comment on their own threads. That’s clearly NOT you, Gavinski, and Seonn also springs to mind as someone who is just as much a forum participant as using the forum for promotion. Some, though, only ever seem to appear on their own threads. I can understand why - time constraints and the like - but maybe ios music is still at a stage where community enthusiasm is really appreciated.

True - though certainly in the Facebook channels I generally just post and almost never check out other posts there - since there are about 20 of them that would be a right nightmare of a time waster 😂. But yeah, I enjoy the AB Forum and learn a lot here! It's a great community

• Jakob has opinions in his video comparing different shimmer reverbs, even outright disliking one of them. He doesn't explicitly rank them, but judging by his comments I'd say two of them share the #1 spot, one of them is last, and the rest in the middle without any clear order but still with differences. (This is from memory from some time ago, but I was in the market for some shimmer, so I listened carefully… both to the audio examples and what he was saying.)

• @Stargazer said:
    Jakob has opinions in his video comparing different shimmer reverbs, even outright disliking one of them. He doesn't explicitly rank them, but judging by his comments I'd say two of them share the #1 spot, one of them is last, and the rest in the middle without any clear order but still with differences. (This is from memory from some time ago, but I was in the market for some shimmer, so I listened carefully… both to the audio examples and what he was saying.)

Yes, it's absolute bollocks to imply he doesn't tell it like it is. He does, more than most, though maybe not on the level of say, Benn Jordan 😝

• edited October 2022

@mangecoeur Something is crap.
    Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other requests 👍

Edit: Shoutout to @Daveypoo for posting first.