Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help:AUM+Koala+Helium Can’t get midi to trigger Koala after recording notes.

Hello all, just signed up.

I’ve been trying to get Koala to play nice with Helium via AUM. Koala can send midi to Helium, and notes will record, but won’t play back. When I look at the midi monitor it shows Helium sending midi, but Koala doesn’t respond. I tried swapping Poison for Koala and it worked fine, I also tried swapping LK for Helium, Koala didn’t like that either. I checked the Koala settings and, “use midi mapping” is selected.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS I have video clips of all this but don’t see away to attach.

Comments

• @gungasdin said:
    Hello all, just signed up.

I’ve been trying to get Koala to play nice with Helium via AUM. Koala can send midi to Helium, and notes will record, but won’t play back. When I look at the midi monitor it shows Helium sending midi, but Koala doesn’t respond. I tried swapping Poison for Koala and it worked fine, I also tried swapping LK for Helium, Koala didn’t like that either. I checked the Koala settings and, “use midi mapping” is selected.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS I have video clips of all this but don’t see away to attach.

Post the video to YouTube or Vimeo and post links.

Make sure they show the routing

• @gungasdin You can attach a video by zipping it and attaching it as a "file".

• Thank you uncledave.
    Video’s attached.

• @gungasdin said:
    Thank you uncledave.
    Video’s attached.

You have koala set to custom midi mapping. Can you post a screenshot of the mapping and show a screenshot of your midi monitor displaying what helium is sending?

• There’s a video showing the mapping already. All the tutorials for setting up Koala suggest using custom when midi mapping, and I have The AUM keyboard mapped to the sequence buttons in Koala. Also, I tried the default setting in Koala with midi channel 1 selected. If you look at the setup, that’s what Koala is set to.

• @gungasdin said:
    There’s a video showing the mapping already. All the tutorials for setting up Koala suggest using custom when midi mapping, and I have The AUM keyboard mapped to the sequence buttons in Koala. Also, I tried the default setting in Koala with midi channel 1 selected. If you look at the setup, that’s what Koala is set to.

it would be helpful if you show the midi monitor display of what Helium is sending...even if you don't think so.

You show the routings not your custom Koala mapping which will look like the picture below. You have custom mappings turned on, but we can't see what they are.

• edited October 2022

I do think it’s important to show midi mapping,that’s why I included it with the zip file, but I’ll include a pic.

• edited October 2022

@gungasdin said:

I do think it’s important to show midi mapping,that’s why I included it with the zip file, but I’ll include a pic.

that is not the mapping. that is the routing. see the picture that i posted of what koala's display looks like when displaying its midi mappimg.

also, please post the picture of the midi monitor display of the midi sent by helium. we need to see if it matches the mapping you set up.

• edited October 2022

My bad. I took the mapping off, but this is what I had….

…on the AUM keyboard, between C5-C6 the white keys trigger the sequences.

• @gungasdin said:

Is there any chance that this is just MIDI note confusion? AUM displays middle C (MIDI note 60) as C4; many other apps use C3 as middle C.

• @gungasdin said:
    My bad. I took the mapping off, but this is what I had….

Now post (as requested earlier) a screenshot of the midi monitor display so that we can see the actual midi note numbers being sent to koala.

• This is what Midispy shows coming from Helium to Koala…

• @gungasdin said:
    This is what Midispy shows coming from Helium to Koala…

You are sending midi note 24 to koala. Koala calls that note C0. You don’t have anything mapped to that note.

• edited October 2022

Moved the notes to C0, Koala still doesn’t play. Recorded new notes to Helium from the same pad in Koala, and Helium records on C1.No sound from C1 either. The input to Koala shows Helium sending midi in the pop up window but not on the hamburger menu at the top of the node. When I trigger Koala the node it’s on shows the midi signal going out to Helium.

• @gungasdin said:
    Moved the notes to C0, Koala still doesn’t play. Recorded new notes to Helium from the same pad in Koala, and Helium records on C1.No sound from C1 either. The input to Koala shows Helium sending midi in the pop up window but not on the hamburger menu at the top of the node. When I trigger Koala the node it’s on shows the midi signal going out to Helium.

AUM calls note 24 C1. It has different octave numbering. Route AUM’s keyboard to Koala and playing C1 on the AUM keyboard should trigger the sequence mapped to C0.

You can also remap by midi learning from the AUM keyboard,

Koala will show the last event received in its midi setup window.

• Are you able to trigger from AUM's keyboard?

• Thank you for the above option but I was hoping to use Koala’s pads as the controller, I was only using the AUM keyboard to trigger Kaola’s sequencing for a bit more control when performing with the fx.

• @gungasdin said:

Look in the midi monitor at the note NUMBER. Helium may use different octave numbering from koala. koala calls note 24 C0. AUM calls it C1

• edited October 2022

Koala doesn’t respond to the AUM keyboard, and there’s no signal displayed at the top of the channel Koala’s on. Helium triggers and shows the incoming signal from the AUM keyboard. Put Poison on the same midi channel and it triggers perfectly.

• @gungasdin said:
    Koala doesn’t respond to the AUM keyboard, and there’s no signal displayed at the top of the channel Koala’s on. Helium triggers and shows the incoming signal from the AUM keyboard. Put Poison on the same midi channel and it triggers perfectly.

Have you routed AUM’s kbd to koala?

• edited October 2022

Please post a picture of the current routing

• If koala isn’t displaying info about incoming notes, it sounds like something is routed wrong or there are s a weird glitch. You might want to save and reboot.

• Koala shows the notes coming in from Helium in the midi setting window!? This is crazy.

• @gungasdin said:

Koala shows the notes coming in from Helium in the midi setting window!? This is crazy.

So note 12 which koala calls C-1 is coming in. Look at your mappings in Koala. Is anything mapped to that?

This is not what your midispy screen capture showed earlier.

• edited October 2022

This is embarrassing, but i figured it out. Helium’s piano roll display doesn’t make clear(to me) what lane the notes are in. I had the midi notes off by one lane on both pads. Everything works now.

Thank you to all that helped on this(espiegal123), much appreciated.

• Glad to hear you got it sorted.