Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

If we can get Da Vinci, we can get Logic Pro

iPad is beginning to host real pro apps now.

Comments

• Blackmagic are interesting in that they don't necessarily need to make a profit on their software, because what they are really selling is hardware. You can get an essentially fully-functional DaVinci Resolve for free on desktop. This means that the App Store business model is less of a hurdle for them, so this move makes a lot of sense.

And in many ways Apple is in a similar boat: they don't really need to make a profit on their pro-level apps as long as those apps help to shift hardware. So hopefully Logic etc will one day come to iOS. I imagine the biggest hurdle is converting the UI of these complex apps into something usable on a touch-based device, which is going to be a substantial undertaking.

• edited October 2022

only matter of time they fully open MacOS availability for iPad Pro .. at least for 12.9” model .. inwould say that’s main reason why they made oossible run iOS apps on MacOS - preparing ground for moving at least for 12.9” model to MacOS while still having option for users to use their iOS apps (st least partially)

my raw guess is 2 max 3 years from now to transition

• They have that nice 'Fairlight' audio editor/daw app as well which would be handy to have...
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/se/products/davinciresolve/fairlight

• @Samu said:
    They have that nice 'Fairlight' audio editor/daw app as well which would be handy to have...

From the screenshots it seems that only the Edit and Colour modules have been ported so far, it would be great if they also ported Fairlight and Fusion at some point too.

• @richardyot said:

@Samu said:
    They have that nice 'Fairlight' audio editor/daw app as well which would be handy to have...

From the screenshots it seems that only the Edit and Colour modules have been ported so far, it would be great if they also ported Fairlight and Fusion at some point too.

actually cut page and color page. They stated that edit will remain desktop exclusive, but they will be upgrading the cut page with more functionality from the edit page. (I hope this includes Multi-Cam).

• @realdawei said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

actually cut page and color page. They stated that edit will remain desktop exclusive, but they will be upgrading the cut page with more functionality from the edit page. (I hope this includes Multi-Cam).

Thanks for clarifying, seems like it's going to be a bit more basic than the desktop version then. :(

• edited October 2022

@richardyot said:

@realdawei said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

Thanks for clarifying, seems like it's going to be a bit more basic than the desktop version then. :(

I think they are fully committed it to here’s a quote:

“ The cut page is a revolution in editing and has many new innovations that make editing much faster than before. That's critical when editing content for social media, fast turn music videos, television commercials and corporate videos. The cut page has also been co-designed to work with a hardware panel such as the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor, which is also supported on the DaVinci Resolve for iPad. This means you get an editing solution that’s not "dumbed down", as it's a true professional editor that’s focused on introducing new innovations in speed!”

from: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20221020-02

• edited October 2022

I think the biggest problem for pro apps on the iPad is Apple’s 30% AppStore tax. Let’s say on desktop you are selling a license for 500 bucks. Just do the math. To get the same revenue you would have to sell it on the AppStore for more than 700 bucks to compensate the Apple tax. But who is going to buy it for this price? No one.

• @realdawei said:

@richardyot said:

@realdawei said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

I think they are fully committed it to here’s a quote:

“ The cut page is a revolution in editing and has many new innovations that make editing much faster than before. That's critical when editing content for social media, fast turn music videos, television commercials and corporate videos. The cut page has also been co-designed to work with a hardware panel such as the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor, which is also supported on the DaVinci Resolve for iPad. This means you get an editing solution that’s not "dumbed down", as it's a true professional editor that’s focused on introducing new innovations in speed!”

from: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20221020-02

OK, better than I thought then 👍

• I would pay reasonable money to have Logic on iPad and then delete all my other DAWS.
    I'm hoping if it comes that it's not M1/M2 only

• @cyberheater said:
    I would pay reasonable money to have Logic on iPad and then delete all my other DAWS.

The video says
    Da Vinci will run on earlier iPads , just not as well

• The 12” M1 is what is mentioned in the write up. Nice that they are still doing the free download thing.
    In all reality Fusion hits the computer pretty hard. You need at least 16GB RAM for the silicon chip Macs to make it work properly and 16GB in the graphics card for the Intel models without making compromises and workarounds in your workflow. I’ve also found that FX like the watercolour effect tend to push the set up as well.
    As a colourist tool it will probably work amazingly well with a pencil. It would be really nice to see the Fairlight section added. I would have thought that would be pretty easy to get in there. That might be an IAP as well down the line. Maybe when the iPad system will allow surround sound editing.

• Honest question…..

What is the benefit of logic on iPad that you’re not getting on logic on macOS.
    I keep trying to puzzle some reasoning together, but I come up with 0

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Honest question…..

For myself, I own an iPad and don’t own a Mac.

• @dendy said:
    only matter of time they fully open MacOS availability for iPad Pro .. at least for 12.9” model .. inwould say that’s main reason why they made oossible run iOS apps on MacOS - preparing ground for moving at least for 12.9” model to MacOS while still having option for users to use their iOS apps (st least partially)

my raw guess is 2 max 3 years from now to transition

Not likely, IMO. Apple appreciates the fact that touch-native and mouse-native environments need different optimization, and that trying to have the same OS serve both environments is inherently compromising (and since the touch users are almost certainly the minority user population, the compromises are not going to be resolved in their favor).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @krassmann said:
    I think the biggest problem for pro apps on the iPad is Apple’s 30% AppStore tax. Let’s say on desktop you are selling a license for 500 bucks. Just do the math. To get the same revenue you would have to sell it on the AppStore for more than 700 bucks to compensate the Apple tax. But who is going to buy it for this price? No one.

I dunno. First, it's a 15% "Apple tax" for the vaaast majority of developers. 30% is only after $1,000,000USD in sales—that's a lot of DAWs!

Second, I imagine most of the DAW makers folks are dreaming about in this thread already build more than 15% of app sales into their marketing budgets (and/or distribution budget). If you sell a desktop DAW for, say, $1000 but can double/triple/etc your sales I reckon most makers would be quite happy to hand over the $150 per sale.

Not saying that the Apple tax doesn't have a solid whiff of greed. Also not saying that the app store is a "sure thing" by any means. I am saying that, for DAW makers (vs massively popular game makers), I don't think the apple tax is the blocker.

• I feel like Logic and Final Cut on the iPad doesn’t benefit Apple right now $

• @PhilW said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Honest question…..

Personally I’ve got an 16” Macbook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB RAM/512GB SSD - but, almost never use it…

My M1 12.9” iPad Pro is my only darling, and, the device that got me happy 24/7…

• @cyberheater said:
    I would pay reasonable money to have Logic on iPad and then delete all my other DAWS.

Apple could begin to make Garageband more Pro instead… That’s enough for me…

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    I feel like Logic and Final Cut on the iPad doesn’t benefit Apple right now $

Most of Apple's revenue comes from hardware and services. They could actually afford to give Logic and Final Cut away for free as an enticement to sell more hardware if they wanted.

https://www.investopedia.com/how-apple-makes-money-4798689

• @NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

Most of Apple's revenue comes from hardware and services. They could actually afford to give Logic and Final Cut away for free as an enticement to sell more hardware if they wanted.

What do you feel has stopped Apple from releasing both apps for iPad?

• edited October 2022

@Stuntman_mike said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

What do you feel has stopped Apple from releasing both apps for iPad?

Staffing, quite a few on these teams got:

poached, transfered, jaded or bored.

Lots of new hiring going on recently in the Creativity apps groups

• @Will said:

@krassmann said:

I dunno. First, it's a 15% "Apple tax" for the vaaast majority of developers. 30% is only after $1,000,000USD in sales—that's a lot of DAWs!

Given my example DAW that sells for $500 you only need to sell 20.000 licenses to get into the 30% tier. For me that doesn’t sound much.

Second, I imagine most of the DAW makers folks are dreaming about in this thread already build more than 15% of app sales into their marketing budgets (and/or distribution budget). If you sell a desktop DAW for, say, $1000 but can double/triple/etc your sales I reckon most makers would be quite happy to hand over the $150 per sale.

What is the distribution cost of a DAW maker? I guess not much. It’s offering downloads on your website you already have. The traffic is nothing in these days. It’s virtually just few dollars given prices on clouds like AWS or Azure. Have you ever seen an ad for Logic, Cubase or Ableton Live? I didn’t. They rather give free licenses to influencers.

If you really triple the sales you quickly get into the 30% tier.

Not saying that the Apple tax doesn't have a solid whiff of greed. Also not saying that the app store is a "sure thing" by any means. I am saying that, for DAW makers (vs massively popular game makers), I don't think the apple tax is the blocker.

Games have a different price point than professional software - that is what exactly makes the difference. You won’t sell millions of copies. Less sales at higher prices. Then the 30% really start to hurt.

• Have any of you clamoring for it on iOS actually used Logic before? Personally I don’t see any way Logic could be ported over to iOS that wouldn’t be an extremely dumbed down version, in other words, GarageBand. There are so many menus in the app that I don’t think it would be much fun on a touchscreen plus the huge sound library takes up 60-80(?) gigs. Maybe there could be a Logic lite but I don’t see how the full functionality could ever be on iOS. My two cents.

• @yowza said:
    Have any of you clamoring for it on iOS actually used Logic before? Personally I don’t see any way Logic could be ported over to iOS that wouldn’t be an extremely dumbed down version, in other words, GarageBand. There are so many menus in the app that I don’t think it would be much fun on a touchscreen plus the huge sound library takes up 60-80(?) gigs. Maybe there could be a Logic lite but I don’t see how the full functionality could ever be on iOS. My two cents.

Exactly it just wouldn’t work right for touch. Apart from Cubasis and FL Studio Mobile which are dumbed down versions, the only DAW that’s come over to ipad in a full state is Stagelight now Zenbeats which started off as a touch friendly DAW on Windows. So people really need to look at other touch friendly DAWs that Windows offers or we rethink the DAW concept.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@PhilW said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Honest question…..

Personally I’ve got an 16” Macbook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB RAM/512GB SSD - but, almost never use it…

My M1 12.9” iPad Pro is my only darling, and, the device that got me happy 24/7…

Almost the same here: a loaded M1 MacBook Air and an 11” M1 iPad Pro which is usually (like now) connected to an Apple Magic Keyboard and Trackpad and an Apogee jam+ or MOTU M4 audio interface. I rarely pull out the MacBook anymore, only for very specific situations.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Will said:

@krassmann said:

That's a fraction of the development budget needed to bring a desktop grade DAW to a new operating system. So if it's not going to make several million in revenue don't expect the big guys to even consider iOS/iPadOS