Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cheap consumer instruments

edited October 25 in Hardware

Over the last years digital instruments by large manufacturers have shrinked both in price and size, becoming more accessible to more people by the month. I had a mid-tier setup with (full size) Moog, a Korg, some Elektron (older stuff), a digital Roland and an MPC. I probably came out in plus after owning the instruments for three years and selling before going back to in the box on Ipad. So it was relatively cheap. The Keystep that broke was the only annoyance. My friend who got alot of what I call meme-instruments had soo many technical annoyances and had to sell at a much bigger loss.

But looking (and hearing) mediocre youtubers with the same, tiny and cheap gear has become extremely boring and annoying, since it rarely sound interesting. That's what prompted this thread, like a counter-weight to all the halfway hidden advertising there.

I don't really know where this is going, but I think it boils down to one opinion; good, full sized (and more expensive :/) instruments bought used knocks the socks off new, popular gear. Both in uniqueness of your sound (not having what everybody else has) and economy (save from the initial, a higher investment). And in addition the usability, stability and build quality wins compared to tiny cheap stuff.

tl;dr
Sofware and a good midi controller gives you the largest, cheap palette of sounds by far. Beware of choice paralysis though. Cheap instruments are (re-)made only for profit and mostly sound done and boring. Good, used, older (but more expensive) hardware is the most fun but not worth it unless you make money using it. In my pretty limited experience.

Also I find an ipad more hardware-y with the less complicated OS. Glad I got in after files came around. We live in amazing times!

Comments

• Not sure if "New Stuff" was supposed to be an option, lol, but I voted "APPS and a new iPad every 5-7 years". It boils down to this...

I wish I had the space for a lot of that vintage kit, but living in a studio efficiency flat doesn't provide me with that much space. It's a perfect size for me as I don't have to spend a whole day dusting and vacuuming, and I don't need or want a lot of worldly possessions. However, for years I've longed for an OP-1, and then an OP-1F. I planned to save up to purchase one or the other.

Then someone scraped the side of my car with theirs by accident in late May. Only minor cosmetic damage, but that gave me a ton of money! Much more than I anticipated to the point I could either purchase the OP-1F with a massive down payment, or a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro with 512gb. I chose the latter, cured my gearlust, and never looked back once.

Turns out I already have all the "gear" (apps) I could ever want to create whatever I want - AUM for live Ambient performances, NS2 for more serious work, Gadget to emulate having a ton of vintage gear if I'm in the mood for that, Cubasis 3 for recording and tuning vocals, ProCreate for crafting album covers, Lumafusion for creating silly trailers for my singles, etc. And it's all on a portable (but heavier) device that's more powerful than an OP-1F (with a lot more internal storage at that lol).