Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Don’t Believe Anything You See or Hear (Machine Learning & Video Manipulation)

edited October 2022 in Other

Machine learning systems (popularly annd incorrectly referred to as “A.I.”) are now at the stage of development that imagery and audio of any kind should immediately be met with skepticism regarding its authenticity.

This is happening today: https://runwayml.com/

Comments

• What I find the most dangerous development is when institutions start trusting that technology anyway and automate their decision making based on it, without any means of double checking the results.

• @NeuM wrote

Machine learning systems (popularly annd incorrectly referred to as “A.I.”…

It is not incorrect to refer to machine learning as AI. Machine learning is a subset of AI. Some call it an application of AI.

There is also AI that is not machine learning.

• @NeuM said:
    Machine learning systems (popularly annd incorrectly referred to as “A.I.”) are now at the stage of development that imagery and audio of any kind should immediately be met with skepticism regarding its authenticity.

Combined with uncontrolled social media and human stupidity this might just be the perfect concoction to bring us down. Basically, fake rumours will now be available as HD movies with hifi sound. 👌

• @ervin said:

@NeuM said:

Combined with uncontrolled social media and human stupidity this might just be the perfect concoction to bring us down. Basically, fake rumours will now be available as HD movies with hifi sound. 👌

Lol I was just about to comment something similar, but you put it more succinctly. 😂

• @ervin said:

@NeuM said:

Any kind of slander and defamation is possible now minus evidence. Now the “evidence” will be able to be instantly and convincingly manufactured.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

It is not incorrect to refer to machine learning as AI. Machine learning is a subset of AI. Some call it an application of AI.

There are no true artificial intelligence systems in operation today. They are all machine learning systems.

• Take this to off topic please

• @NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

There are no true artificial intelligence systems in operation today. They are all machine learning systems.

You are using AI in a way that is at odds with what AI currently means.

• edited October 2022

@Carnbot said:
    Take this to off topic please.

Due to several requests, I’ve asked Michael to change this thread to Off Topic.

• I agree that off-topic seems right

• edited October 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

This thread uses MY definition and draws a clear distinction between true “artificial intelligence” and mere “machine learning” systems.

If you like, you can always start a thread which focuses on your particular definitions. It’s a big forum and you don’t always have to assume an opposing viewpoint.

https://www.kurzweilai.net/what-is-artificial-intelligence

• edited October 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    I agree that off-topic seems right

I'll have it moved to Off Topic, due to requests.

• @rs2000 said:
    What I find the most dangerous development is when institutions start trusting that technology anyway and automate their decision making based on it, without any means of double checking the results.

Indeed, this is a real danger, and not very well anticipated in the general population. Despite the fact that we all witnessed how catastrophic it gets when false information/judgement is spread from one ‘node’ to the other.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @NeuM This topic isn't "General Discussion" but "General App Discussion" so moving it to "Off-topic" makes sense imo.

• edited October 2022

@ehehehe said:

@FordTimeLord said:
    Off topic

+1

(...snip...) The ability to hide irrelevant topics would be a welcome update here.

You have the ability to only follow threads you want to follow here. Choose the "Following" option under your "View" option (upper left corner of main forum page).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ervin said:

@NeuM said:

Lol I was just about to comment something similar, but you put it more succinctly. 😂

Indeed. There's enough human stupidity and woes of social media out there in full effect already. Just when you thought we've regressed too far already......

• @NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

This thread uses MY definition and draws a clear distinction between true “artificial intelligence” and mere “machine learning” systems.

If you like, you can always start a thread which focuses on your particular definitions. It’s a big forum and you don’t always have to take an opposing viewpoint.

Your usage is at odds with what AI currently means both in general usage and amongst computer scientists that work in AI. In different contexts, AI can, like all words, have different meanings and nuances.

In many discussions, you have said it is not correct to say machine learning is AI...this implies that you are referring to something other than your personal meaning. Computer scientists definitely consider machine learning as part of the AI field.

• @Phil999 said:

@rs2000 said:
    What I find the most dangerous development is when institutions start trusting that technology anyway and automate their decision making based on it, without any means of double checking the results.

Indeed, this is a real danger, and not very well anticipated in the general population. Despite the fact that we all witnessed how catastrophic it gets when false information/judgement is spread from one ‘node’ to the other.

@rs2000 plenty of that has been happening more and more for a long time already. Computer says, "No".

• @espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

If you like, you can always start a thread which focuses on your particular definitions. It’s a big forum and you don’t always have to take an opposing viewpoint.

Your usage is at odds with what AI currently means both in general usage and amongst computer scientists that work in AI. In different contexts, AI can, like all words, have different meanings and nuances.

In many discussions, you have said it is not correct to say machine learning is AI...this implies that you are referring to something other than your personal meaning. Computer scientists definitely consider machine learning as part of the AI field.

The definition is not set in stone. In popular use, the term "artificial intelligence" is used as a marketing angle. There are no actual "artificial intelligence" systems in use today in a strictly technical sense. Machine learning is far more precise in describing the systems we see in use today. True independent "A.I." should appear on the scene in a matter of a few decades, if Ray Kurzweil's predictions bear fruit.

• edited October 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @NeuM wrote

Machine learning systems exist today. Artificial intelligence describes the general field of study. As I've said repeatedly, it does not yet exist in a practical sense.

Other than the endless hairsplitting, what are your opinions on the actual software cited at the beginning of the thread, which was the entire reason for the thread, not an argument over semantics.

• It’s not entirely off-topic. With enough deepfake evidence, I might even be able to convince people I’m a good musician.

• @Shabudua said:
    It’s not entirely off-topic. With enough deepfake evidence, I might even be able to convince people I’m a good musician.

😂👍

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:

@NeuM said:

@ehehehe said:

@FordTimeLord said:
    Off topic

+1

(...snip...) The ability to hide irrelevant topics would be a welcome update here.

You have the ability to only follow threads you want to follow here. Choose the "Following" option under your "View" option (upper left corner of main forum page).

You seriously don't see any problems with this design choice? I want to see new, relevant topics also.

Are you seriously complaining about this web site with me? It’s not my site, guy.

• In Atlas of AI: Power, Politics, and the Planetary Costs of Artificial Intelligence Crawford reveals how the global networks underpinning AI technology are damaging the environment, entrenching inequality, and fueling a shift toward undemocratic governance. She takes us on a journey through the mining sites, factories, and vast data collections needed to make AI "work" — powerfully revealing where they are failing us and what should be done.
    Atlas of AI was named one of the best books on technology in 2021 by the Financial Times.
    https://katecrawford.net/

• If I don’t believe anything I see or hear, then I should not believe this post. But, if I don’t believe this post, then I ~do~ believe what I see and hear.

But, then, if I do believe what I see and here, then I believe this post to not believe anything that I see and hear.

I am stuck in horrible loop.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    If I don’t believe anything I see or hear, then I should not believe this post. But, if I don’t believe this post, then I ~do~ believe what I see and hear.

But, then, if I do believe what I see and here, then I believe this post to not believe anything that I see and hear.

You are perfectly primed for the future then.

• @AudioGus said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    If I don’t believe anything I see or hear, then I should not believe this post. But, if I don’t believe this post, then I ~do~ believe what I see and hear.

You are perfectly primed for the future then.

A perpetual state of disbelief. Welcome to the future.