Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMac late 2015 for LPX ?

Hi!

I really need your help because I'm a bit lost 😞

Until now I was doing music on iPad but now I would like to switch to Logic Pro X and keep my iPad to start some projects on the go.

I have the option to buy a 4K iMac drop 2016 (late 2015) i5 16GB RAM with a 1TB hard drive, for a good price.

The simple questions I have:

Is it possible to replace the disk with an external SSD to install Mac OS ?

Is it possible to reinstall a previous version (Big Sur) which will be enough for the latest version of Logic Pro?

Finally, is it a sufficient machine for Logic Pro X as I don't plan to do huge projects, 15 tracks maximum.

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• I can’t answer the 1st 2 questions- but generally trying to run the o/s on an external drive is not recommended. There are videos online showing how to replace the internal drive with an ssd.

I’m using a late 2014 MacBook Pro to run logic with no problems.

• edited October 17

Ok thank you BiancaNeve

Finally I’m on a late 2017 4K model with 256Gb SSD, i5 chip, 16Gb RAM. I guess this one should be better?

@BiancaNeve « no problems » means reasonable amount of tracks I guess ? Thank you!

• Late 2013 model extra ram and processor - as bought from 🍎, LPX runs fine, Catalina here.

• Just read this ... doh !

Did you get a good deal?

@pepebaõ said:
    Ok thank you BiancaNeve

Finally I’m on a late 2017 4K model with 256Gb SSD, i5 chip, 16Gb RAM. I guess this one should be better?

@BiancaNeve « no problems » means reasonable amount of tracks I guess ? Thank you!

• For 15 tracks I’m sure you’d be fine with any of those aforementioned options depending on your AU dsp weight and how u do fx etc.

I’d go M1 mac mini. They’re frequently on sale for $500 and just blow the doors off intel. The value per dollar is staggering. The fan noise and heat alone with intel is 👎

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I can’t answer the 1st 2 questions- but generally trying to run the o/s on an external drive is not recommended. There are videos online showing how to replace the internal drive with an ssd.

I’m using a late 2014 MacBook Pro to run logic with no problems.

I have an iMac 2017 which I run with the OS on an external drive and it’s never been a problem (for music and video editing), not sure who’s “not recommending”?

I have high Sierra on the internal 1tb fusion drive and Catalina / Big Sur and Monterey on an external 500gb SSD.

• @id_23 said:
    Just read this ... doh !

Did you get a good deal?

@pepebaõ said:
    Ok thank you BiancaNeve

Yes but.. now @ipadbeatmaking is making me doubt lol

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    For 15 tracks I’m sure you’d be fine with any of those aforementioned options depending on your AU dsp weight and how u do fx etc.

I’d go M1 mac mini. They’re frequently on sale for $500 and just blow the doors off intel. The value per dollar is staggering. The fan noise and heat alone with intel is 👎

I found a $450 Mac Mini M1 with 8Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD. Is that better than what I mentionned above ?

• That’s what I am thinking of next... in the future somewhen!

• @pepebaõ said:

@id_23 said:
    Just read this ... doh !

Did you get a good deal?

@pepebaõ said:
    Ok thank you BiancaNeve

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    For 15 tracks I’m sure you’d be fine with any of those aforementioned options depending on your AU dsp weight and how u do fx etc.

I found a $450 Mac Mini M1 with 8Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD. Is that better than what I mentionned above ?

Only you can decide that for yourself but I’m team Apple Silicon. I had a trash can (2013 Mac Pro) 64gb ram, Xeon 8 core cpu (upgraded above factory specs) and the M1 mini just decimated it in performance for me. I couldn’t believe it was that good. It still remains unbroken for any tracks I’ve done, even while running omnisphere, diva etc etc.

Runs cool, I never hear a fan and it’s an absurdly good value, especially with optimized apps like Logic Pro. You’re also on the train of relevant Apple updates for quite a while into the future which I value.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@pepebaõ said:

@id_23 said:
    Just read this ... doh !

Did you get a good deal?

@pepebaõ said:
    Ok thank you BiancaNeve

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Only you can decide that for yourself but I’m team Apple Silicon. I had a trash can (2013 Mac Pro) 64gb ram, Xeon 8 core cpu (upgraded above factory specs) and the M1 mini just decimated it in performance for me. I couldn’t believe it was that good. It still remains unbroken for any tracks I’ve done, even while running omnisphere, diva etc etc.

Runs cool, I never hear a fan and it’s an absurdly good value, especially with optimized apps like Logic Pro. You’re also on the train of relevant Apple updates for quite a while into the future which I value.

Thank you, so helpful :) I take the M1 train tho !

• Bought ! Mac Mini M1 / 8Gb RAM / 256Gb SSD
    So excited !

• @pepebaõ said:
    Bought ! Mac Mini M1 / 8Gb RAM / 256Gb SSD
    So excited !

Congrats! Be sure to let us know how it goes

• @id_23 said:
    Late 2013 model extra ram and processor - as bought from 🍎, LPX runs fine, Catalina here.

Same here 😄 but running Monterey (soon Ventura) on it with OCLP. Running smooth and flawless. No need to upgrade 😁 (yet)

• @ipadbeatmaking this Mini M1 is a beast, many thanks for your advices :) the current selling price is total bargain! Did you watch this ?