Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 16 AUM weird in landscape?

Think the sidebar in AB might not be working in AUM..video shows it jumping around the screen whenever I press the button to return to Audiobus. Also never seen AUM look like that in landscape on a phone (towards end of video). iPhone 8+ iOS 16.
Any others seeing this behaviour? Seems ok so far in portrait…

Comments

• Don’t think it’s to do with Audiobus actually. Seems to just be an AUM thing.
    No one noticing anything opening closing windows in landscape AUM? Is this an iOS 16 thing?

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Don’t think it’s to do with Audiobus actually. Seems to just be an AUM thing.
    No one noticing anything opening closing windows in landscape AUM? Is this an iOS 16 thing?

AUM on iPadOS 15.7 is same old, no surprises. So it's likely an iOS 16 thing, maybe iPhone-specific as well.

• @j_liljedahl
    Just flagging this issue, AUM not really usable in iOS 16 as UI is very problematic.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Just flagging this issue, AUM not really usable in iOS 16 as UI is very problematic.

Thnx for the heads up - glad I haven't updated

• Yes, updated in the hope it would fix a problem with AUM timing and now have 2 problems.

• Yes, this is a known bug in iOS 16 on iPhone. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it myself and so it will take a while to find a workaround, because:

1) I don't own an iPhone modern enough to support iOS 16
    2) it doesn't happen in Xcode's iPhone simulator

So, I'll need to order a new iPhone so I can test it on iOS 16 on real hardware. Thanks Apple for your major iOS updates...

• I think this link should be spread to all iOS16/iPadOS16 app developers to overcome the 3-tap issue plaguing most music apps under iOS16 and with iPadOS16 around the corner...
    https://www.kiraqtech.jp/blog/disable-a-3-finger-tap-gesture-in-ios16-for-developers/

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Yes, this is a known bug in iOS 16 on iPhone. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it myself and so it will take a while to find a workaround, because:

So, I'll need to order a new iPhone so I can test it on iOS 16 on real hardware. Thanks Apple for your major iOS updates...

Yeah, another update, another mess. Not great for indie devs. Ridiculous the simulator doesn’t cover it.
    Doubt it covers much but happy to maintenance tip as others hopefully are.

• @Samu said:
    I think this link should be spread to all iOS16/iPadOS16 app developers to overcome the 3-tap issue plaguing most music apps under iOS16 and with iPadOS16 around the corner...
    https://www.kiraqtech.jp/blog/disable-a-3-finger-tap-gesture-in-ios16-for-developers/

IIRC this was happening in iOS15 as well? At least it introduced a delay when playing 3-note chords. I fixed that in the last AUM update.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Yes, this is a known bug in iOS 16 on iPhone. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it myself and so it will take a while to find a workaround, because:

I've now succeeded to reproduce the issue also in the iPhone simulator:

1. rotate to landscape
    2. tap empty slot to show node picker
    3. tap outside to hide node picker
    4. tap anywhere on the screen
    5. bang!

Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to work around this iOS 16 bug. It simply ignores the permitted orientations I tell it, and rotates the main mixer view anyway. :(

• Seen a lot of people complaining about this bug now but no workarounds/fixes seemingly as you say. just a case of hoping Apple address it at some point?

• Good news. I have now found and implemented an alternative solution to the problem, which seems to work also on iOS 16.

• 👊🏻 Fantastic news! Haven’t noticed anything else screwy with iOS 16 yet so fingers crossed that’s the only issue 👍🏻 Thanks so much.

• So far I have been using assistive touch to rotate the phone without lifting from the table (which often breaks the usb connection to soundcard, another pain in the ass)

showcase little video here (owncloud link)
    https://cloud.frtala.sk/index.php/s/dJ8P6nQHS2uIjff/download

• AUM updated but still noticing a few issues. Main one being the AB sidebar still behaving strangely. Is this an AB issue rather than AUM though?
    @Michael have also noticed problems in AB in landscape. Buttons sometimes not working or when changing a value it gets stuck on that value.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    AUM updated but still noticing a few issues. Main one being the AB sidebar still behaving strangely. Is this an AB issue rather than AUM though?
    @Michael have also noticed problems in AB in landscape. Buttons sometimes not working or when changing a value it gets stuck on that value.

I would have thought it’s an AB issue, as the sidebar is part of AB. Does it jump around when other IAA apps are in the foreground? If so that would be confirmation.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    AUM updated but still noticing a few issues. Main one being the AB sidebar still behaving strangely. Is this an AB issue rather than AUM though?

It could be an AB issue. You might want to post a demonstration video that shows the setup and what happens.

• With re to sidebar…It doesn’t jump around anymore as in video at top of thread but disappears off the bottom of the screen.