Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro Update Version 1.0.26

2»

Comments

• @wim said:

@joniqwest said:
    @wim
    Thanks !
    MIDI Clips will be huge and I am sure imho it is a pretty serious undertaking. Feels like a major “Version upgrade” if Loopy Pro followed the more common update/IAP path. Either way if anyone is on the fence about LP not having midi clips please dont let that stop you from getting LP. Atom Piano Roll 2 is a great option until MIDI clips are released.

Drambo ain't half bad as a midi looper inside Loopy either. LK too, I imagine, though I haven't really tried more than just a light test or two.

The funny thing is, as the creative flow released by committing to audio right away took hold for me, I've barely looked back at midi looping. The idea of having all those midi clips sitting around tempting for me to obsess over tweaking them to perfection seems kind of ... impure in a way. I miss it less and less all the time.

I’m with you on this one. When working with loopy I like committing midi to an audio 🍩, it feels liberating. But I do have that midi source and instrument idled (LK, Drambo…)in case I want to come back later and tweak it. But it turns out I hardly ever come back and tweak. I might have some dumb Digitakt basic rythm to play over, thinking it’s temporary. But then I guess used to it and it becomes sort of the foundation, like the dude who signed the bill of rights or the constitution…. deserves some respect, so it stays. Donuts carved in stone.

• @RetroNewb said:
    @Michael is a genius & dedicated & great guy …yada,yada,yada …
    but I really don’t understand this need for midisequencing within the app that cannot already be achieved with
    Atom2 , LK , Drambo or others .
    & no disrespect to @Michael , but what makes people think his first attempt at coding a midisequencer is somehow going to better what is currently available from devs who have many years of midi sequencer coding under their belt (or anytime soon)

For me it’s not about being better that all the other apps, it’s about finding a nice and tidy workflow without too much compartmentalization and where I can start clips from a pretty GUI, and ever new app gets my hopes up about being the one that just fits. I feel like the UI alone has a big impact on how I use the app and what I do with it, so every new app is really refreshing.

I don’t mind timelines and release dates, I’m just happy it’s still on the roadmap.

• The news of another mile-long list of features added to the app instantly triggers multiple comments asking for even more / something else - peak ABF. 🤷

• @tahiche said:
    ... Donuts carved in stone.

thanks for my next album title. 👍🏼

• Hi @Michael I am facing the following issue. I am sharing a preset, created on my ipad in AUM with buttons in Loopy pro that send cc to AUM. When I open the preset on my iphone, I see that all buttons are « sending cc to 132eb9bf » instead of « sending cc to AUM ». How can I solve this ?

• @cuscolima said:
    Hi @Michael I am facing the following issue. I am sharing a preset, created on my ipad in AUM with buttons in Loopy pro that send cc to AUM. When I open the preset on my iphone, I see that all buttons are « sending cc to 132eb9bf » instead of « sending cc to AUM ». How can I solve this ?

Is this a Loopy Pro project running in standalone on both devices? Or is Loopy running as an AU?

If Loopy is running as a standalone, is AUM running when you open the project?

What OS are you using?

I just did a quick test where I created a project in Loopy standalone with one button that sends a midi note to AUM. I saved the project and then Exported to my iPhone from the Project window (I shared it to the phone via AirDrop). When I open it on my phone and look at the button's action on my phone it also shows AUM as the target.

I wonder what is different about how we went about it. This was on iOS 15.6.1

• edited October 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:
    Hi @Michael I am facing the following issue. I am sharing a preset, created on my ipad in AUM with buttons in Loopy pro that send cc to AUM. When I open the preset on my iphone, I see that all buttons are « sending cc to 132eb9bf » instead of « sending cc to AUM ». How can I solve this ?

Is this a Loopy Pro project running in standalone on both devices? Or is Loopy running as an AU?

If Loopy is running as a standalone, is AUM running when you open the project?

What OS are you using?

I just did a quick test where I created a project in Loopy standalone with one button that sends a midi note to AUM. I saved the project and then Exported to my iPhone from the Project window (I shared it to the phone via AirDrop). When I open it on my phone and look at the button's action on my phone it also shows AUM as the target.

I wonder what is different about how we went about it. This was on iOS 15.6.1

Loopy is in AU mode, loaded as a midi track. I have uploaded the project in patchstorage ( https://patchstorage.com/vestax-faderboard-12-x-spacecraft/ ) as I think it is an interesting project to share but when I download it on my iphone, it just doesn’t work. I have to manually remap all buttons to cc -> AUM. To be noted that if I download the patch on my IPad, it works ok…

• @wim said:

@joniqwest said:
    Definitely built in integration of midi functionality would be ideal but I have a feeling that it maybe part of a paid update/ v2 release.

Each 12 months from the time of purchase there will be an option to pay for another 12 months of updates. If you elect not to pay, you keep the product just as-is, only missing out on new updates.

IIRC, you do get any and all updates for the App!
    All bug fixes, and also every fix for new iOS / iPadOS / macOS updates!
    Only NEW features are missing.

So you get the App as is it at the moment of purchase, including everything added in the next 12 month and any and all non-new-features updates for the rest of your live.

If at any time in the future, be it 12 months later of 12 years later, you see a new feature that you really like and want to pay for, you again get any and all current features and those from the next 12 months.

Fantastic App model !!!

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@joniqwest said:
    Definitely built in integration of midi functionality would be ideal but I have a feeling that it maybe part of a paid update/ v2 release.

Each 12 months from the time of purchase there will be an option to pay for another 12 months of updates. If you elect not to pay, you keep the product just as-is, only missing out on new updates.

So you get the App as is it at the moment of purchase, including everything added in the next 12 month and any and all non-new-features updates for the rest of your live.

If at any time in the future, be it 12 months later of 12 years later, you see a new feature that you really like and want to pay for, you again get any and all current features and those from the next 12 months.

Fantastic App model !!!

Yes, that's a clearer way of putting it. Maintenance updates continue whether or not you pay for the updates.

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@joniqwest said:

Fantastic App model !!!

Thanks for clearing that up! I’d totally forgotten about the maintenance updates being included, that’s reassuring to remember :) Hadn’t thought about the last situation you described, that’s indeed very nice! So far I have zero regrets for paying for Loopy Pro and I’m pretty sure I’ll immediately go for a second round when the time comes, but yeah the model is pretty great so far. I’m very pleased (and impressed) with the constant flow of updates and bugfixes!

• edited January 2023

Hello, it's nice here!

I think a Mac/VST version will be massive for many people, another changing of the game.

Except we will miss the immediacy of touch, but a remote screen app (I use TeamViewer) may come to the rescue (single touch only and maybe a littke sluggish).

In an even better scenario I could redirect actions on an iPad Loopy instance over network to the Mac instance, which would do the real work and could run headless (without a screen). Which may or may not improve responsiveness. I don't think this will happen though, it feels like a too big effort would be required.

A Mac version also appeals to me as I then could use Overbridge (yeah!), that is, individual track output for my Elektron devices like the Digitakt drum sampler.

This means I could properly expand on this:

BTW, does anyone know how to get rid of the bottom
    lines of plugin icons completely, to regain some screen estate?

The manual talks about some 👁 symbols to tap on for individual plugs, but I can't find them!

Edit: Ah. It realized it's in the plugin window!

• edited January 2023

I'm using LoopBud for Midi looping purposes in my Rainbow Garden ♾ project , I like the simplicity, but it works si
    omewhat unreliable for me.

I also tried LK, but it feels like overkill, at least for this time.

Does anyone has a simple Drambo Midi looping thing to share?

I don't like the Atom 2 UI. Is it always so tiny?

• edited January 2023

@RetroNewb said:
    @Michael is a genius & dedicated & great guy …yada,yada,yada …
    but I really don’t understand this need for midisequencing within the app that cannot already be achieved with
    Atom2 , LK , Drambo or others .
    & no disrespect to @Michael , but what makes people think his first attempt at coding a midisequencer is somehow going to better what is currently available from devs who have many years of midi sequencer coding under their belt (or anytime soon)

I don't agree with this at all. There's a lot that can be achieved if there is an elegant MIDI sequencer within the app, as it stands to be much better than a rather clunky workflow bolting on Atom or Drambo clips, etc. For a start, adding AUv3 MIDI apps takes CPU cycles when not idle, they add clutter to screen real estate and are generally a pain to use in Loopy Pro when compared to an ideal 'in the app' environment that will have a dedicated UI. Sure, if the implementation isn't good then ho hum, but I doubt this will be the case given Michael's design expertise and the beta team supplying feedback.

• @Max_Free said:
    I'm using LoopBud for Midi looping purposes in my Rainbow Garden ♾ project , I like the simplicity, but it works si

I’ve recently started using Drambo more for midi duties.

Just add one instance of Drambo, then setup each channel like this changing the output midi channel each time:

Then add your synths to that midi source and limit each to a midi channel. You can then use the Drambo patterns as normal and record as audio to donuts when you’re ready.

It’s the fastest workflow I’ve found so far in loopy.

• @gregsmith said:

@Max_Free said:

Just add one instance of Drambo, then setup each channel like this changing the output midi channel each time:

Then add your synths to that midi source and limit each to a midi channel. You can then use the Drambo patterns as normal and record as audio to donuts when you’re ready.

I like this approach.
    Drambo in Loopy or Loopy I’m Drambo?. To me it’d be Drambo in Loopy, but I can’t really answer why… I guess it seems the most straightforward. I recall having tried loopy in Drambo and felt sort of weird mapping Drambo notes to Loopy clips.

• @tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@Max_Free said:

I like this approach.
    Drambo in Loopy or Loopy I’m Drambo?. To me it’d be Drambo in Loopy, but I can’t really answer why… I guess it seems the most straightforward. I recall having tried loopy in Drambo and felt sort of weird mapping Drambo notes to Loopy clips.

Oh yes, absolutely Drambo in Loopy for me

• @gregsmith said:

@tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@Max_Free said:

I like this approach.

@gregsmith have you replaced LK with Drambo to do midi in Loopy?. Or do you use them for different things?

• @tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@Max_Free said:

I like this approach.

@gregsmith have you replaced LK with Drambo to do midi in Loopy?. Or do you use them for different things?

I was using Drambo for drum sequencing and LK for all other midi duties, apart from where there’s a built in sequencer like Hammerhead or Koala.

I decided to try Drambo instead of LK a couple of weeks ago and have found it a more immediate workflow for some reason. I think it’s just slightly easier to use, especially on iPhone.

Both have advantages though. LK has note folding and some good piano roll manipulation tools. Drambo obviously has a vast amount of real time midi customisation built in.

The beauty of Loopy is that you can use whatever combination of midi generators you like, just like in AUM, but then record it all to donuts and you’re away, arranging or performing a track. When midi donuts arrive things will no doubt change, but for now we’re spoilt for choice.

I’m just glad I dropped my obsession with hacking in midi donuts and just started recording everything to audio.