Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchkey Mini mk3 and iPad8 mobile settings...

Hi everybody,
in this video https://youtu.be/BvJOJBD-Jh4 Jacob Haq shows how to connect various devices to an ipad mini 2 running IOS 9 with a portable USB battery but I'm asking if this solution can be good even for my personal setup...
I have a LK mini mk3 and an iPad8 that I would like to use in mobility, maybe adding my LaunchKey XL and/or my Zoom H4N as a sound card; as I don't understand quite anything about electricity and I wouldn't cause damages to my hardware could you please help to understand how to realize this kind of setup? I own a new USB/lightning camera connection kit model yet..
Thank you very much for helping me,
Art

Comments

• edited October 2022

Hey!

Yup, setting up can be tricky at first when you don’t know how to do it.

Your iPads Lightning port does not give enough power to run all your devices, that is why Jakob Haq in the video uses a powerbank. You connect the power bank to the Apple CCK and plug the CCK into the iPad. The more devices you connect, the more power is needed. Your LK mini mk3 for example won’t run on lightning power alone, it needs more power than that.

Then you need something that will accept several USB connections at once, like from your keyboard and audio interface/card, a USB hub. You can use the USB port on the CCK for one device at a time, but that is messy given a 4-port USB hub costs basically nothing. A four port USB hub will do nicely four your needs, There are non - powered and powered USB hubs, for now let’s stick to the non-powered as you have a powerbank connected making the setup mobile.

All your stuff, the LK Mini, the Zoom and two other gadgets of your choice goes into the USB hub. And there you go.

Everything is connected and will show up on your iPad, given you have the apps needed like some kind of recording app and sound app. A synth app is for example triggered by your LK mini mk3 and you can record audio into a recording app with your Zoom.

The sound out is heard from your iPad speakers, connected headphones or from speakers connected to your Zoom given it has audio outs.

That is the EASY explanation. There are way more, like unlimited, more sophisticated setups to dive into when time comes, but start with this like Jakob Haq shows in the video and get the hang of it.

Good luck!

👊

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Hi DMfan,
    thank you for your detailed answer!
    Eerything's clear to me, now, except for one thing: do I need a particular kind of power bank or whatever?
    Art
    p.s. It's curious that my Launchkey 61 mk2 doesn't need any external power when plugged into the iPad while the new mini does...

• edited October 2022

No prob buddy!

A regular power bank sold in electronics retail will do fine. The more mAh aka the more power it has, the longer it will last when in a session.

The LK mk3 line simply uses more power. It can only be powered by iPads with USB-C, but then drains the iPad battery. I use a powerbank even though I have USB-C.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Here's a similar setup I did using the same Launch key, and a Launchpad.

The best apps for the launchkey are

1. Amplify Groovebox (works natively)
    2. GarageBand
    3. LK (if you need a native MIDI clip launcher)
    4. Gadget 2 (best app groovebox combination)
    5. Drambo (lets you design your own combination)

For gears I've found useful, I also made a video as I primarily produce on the go.

Process of connecting those controllers? Here you go.

Between the Launchpad and the Launchkey, which is the other controller I have, you personally have the better controller. Here was my thoughts on them

My advice, as an electrical engineer turned industrial engineer is this...don't be afraid to try. Test things slowly.

Try connecting one controller, then two. If it doesn't work, try and understand what exactly the problem is. Maybe the iPad isn't giving enough power, so you need to plug it to a wall as you're using it. When starting out, use the recommended devices and cables.

As you become more brave , step out to the unknown but remember the steps you already know.

Hope this helps

#SEONN

• edited October 2022

@DMfan said:
    No prob buddy!

:)

@DMfan said:
    The more mAh aka the more power it has, the longer it will last when in a session.

This the part I was 'afraid' of as I'm a complete ignorant about mAh, Volts, etc. so now I know I can do it!

Thanx again!

Art

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    My advice, as an electrical engineer turned industrial engineer is this...don't be afraid to try. Test things slowly.

Hi Seonn!
    Thank you for all the videos and the precious advices! As I wrote my only 'fear' was about power bank features (I'd tired a powered USB hub in the past with no issues) so now I know I can do everything with no problems even in mobility, that was the only reason I've boutght LaunchKey mini for, having a bigger keyboard yet.

I'll let you know about my tries after I'll get a power bank...

Best,

Art

• Hi again,
    friends...
    I just started my research por a good powerbank and I found out this one; do you think it could be enough? Is there a mAh minimum-maximum limit?
    I initially looked for the one suggested by Seonn in one of his videos (anker power bank fusion 5000) but here it seems to be really expensive while here it is abosolutely affordable... Maybe I'm missing something?
    Thank you,
    Art

• @arfo62 said:
    Hi again,
    friends...
    I just started my research por a good powerbank and I found out this one; do you think it could be enough? Is there a mAh minimum-maximum limit?
    I initially looked for the one suggested by Seonn in one of his videos (anker power bank fusion 5000) but here it seems to be really expensive while here it is abosolutely affordable... Maybe I'm missing something?
    Thank you,
    Art

I would get one with minimum 10000 mAh, considering an iPad has a battery around 9000 mAh give or take. That way you have one full charge and enough ”juice” to last even if you do longer sessions.

(You can fully charge a regular iPhone about 3-4 times with a 10000 mAh powerbank.)

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @arfo62 said:
    Hi again,
    friends...
    Thank you,
    Art

That expensive one has USB-C PD, so it likely includes a more powerful voltage converter, which would drive up the price. But it does seem a bit steep. Where are you shopping: USA, Europe, where?

• @DMfan said:
    I would get one with minimum 10000 mAh,

Thank you DMfan, as I wrote previously I really am a complete ignorant in this subject (and many others... :D )

• @uncledave said:
    That expensive one has USB-C PD, so it likely includes a more powerful voltage converter, which would drive up the price. But it does seem a bit steep. Where are you shopping: USA, Europe, where?

HI @uncledave, I agree: the price is exagerated, not for me! (It's much more than the keyboard itself...)
    To answer your question: I'm writing, and buying, from Italy.
    Today I tried in a local pc store but they hadn't much more than something for phones and the sales assistant told me they wouldn't have enough power for my needs...

• edited October 2022

@arfo62 said:

@uncledave said:

HI @uncledave, I agree: the price is exagerated, not for me! (It's much more than the keyboard itself...)
    To answer your question: I'm writing, and buying, from Italy.
    Today I tried in a local pc store but they hadn't much more than something for phones and the sales assistant told me they wouldn't have enough power for my needs...

Check www.amazon.it and search for powerbank 10000 mAh… lots of stuff there. You can also find powerbanks in any electronics store chain that sells computers, mobile phones, and stuff. Here in Sweden they even sell them at my local CircleK.

You don’t need any fancy stuff, just a basic powerbank.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Hi again,
    I eventually purchased this one

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07S829LBX/ref=pe_24968671_487022601_TE_SCE_dp_2

but I’ve got “the message” again: “Novation Mini mk3 requires too much power”…😕
    I can’t understand…
    May it depend on the fact that I used my ipad8 charger cable (lightning to usb c) with an usbc to usb3 adapter?
    Is the USB 3 port not enough for delivering power to Launchkey?
    Do you suggest to try with a usb3 to lightning cable and no adapter?
    Should I go for this one?

https://www.amazon.it/Anker-PowerPort-Caricatore-laptop-iPhone/dp/B098X6BQ8P/ref=pd_lutyp_d_rtpb_sccl_2_3/262-7618611-1862406?pd_rd_w=Au3Uq&content-id=amzn1.sym.f14708fe-6743-4b91-85f0-352645dcd004&pf_rd_p=f14708fe-6743-4b91-85f0-352645dcd004&pf_rd_r=S3X016Y2R8FE55372FJ6&pd_rd_wg=qnkfB&pd_rd_r=7d34ddd8-c154-437a-be20-4c78ffa6b5f4&pd_rd_i=B098X6BQ8P&psc=1

Thank you very much,

Art

• @arfo62 said:
    Hi again,
    I eventually purchased this one

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07S829LBX/ref=pe_24968671_487022601_TE_SCE_dp_2

but I’ve got “the message” again: “Novation Mini mk3 requires too much power”…😕
    I can’t understand…
    May it depend on the fact that I used my ipad8 charger cable (lightning to usb c) with an usbc to usb3 adapter?
    Is the USB 3 port not enough for delivering power to Launchkey?
    Do you suggest to try with a usb3 to lightning cable and no adapter?
    Should I go for this one?

https://www.amazon.it/Anker-PowerPort-Caricatore-laptop-iPhone/dp/B098X6BQ8P/ref=pd_lutyp_d_rtpb_sccl_2_3/262-7618611-1862406?pd_rd_w=Au3Uq&content-id=amzn1.sym.f14708fe-6743-4b91-85f0-352645dcd004&pf_rd_p=f14708fe-6743-4b91-85f0-352645dcd004&pf_rd_r=S3X016Y2R8FE55372FJ6&pd_rd_wg=qnkfB&pd_rd_r=7d34ddd8-c154-437a-be20-4c78ffa6b5f4&pd_rd_i=B098X6BQ8P&psc=1

Thank you very much,

Art

The lightning port doesn’t supply enough power. You need a powered cck or usb hub

• Hi @AlmostAnonymous,
    what do you mean with cck?

When I tried this one

https://www.amazon.it/Power-Anker-Batteria-Portatile-PowerCore/dp/B019GJLER8/ref=psdc_473287031_t2_B07S829LBX

lended from a friend, everything was ok but this one can give power from the usb c port while the one I 've got gives power only form the USB ports... I hoped that being 20000 mAh instead of 10000 mAh it could be enough...
    My goal is to be mobile, no power grid...

• edited November 2022

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
    battery goes in the power jack, launchkey in the usb port

• Most controllers require power to it, when using the regular method. I did recently test a controller that works without needing power, and it’s pretty low cost.

Is this the best MIDI keyboard for iOS? | FASTEST PAIRING EVER!!! | Nektar SE25 | #shorts

The Novation Launchkey mini mk3 looks like it’s Ableton Live specific but it’s one of the few controllers that gives things like the glowing LED, strum mode, transpose button, and others.

I did hear recently that the Arturia Minilab mk3 and mk2 work out of the box. I haven’t tested them to confirm.

Personally, I’m able to map a lot more controls to the Novation keyboard, especially with the availability of the programmer mode. It’s still my most used controller because it’s super flexible depending on what app I’m using.

I wish Apple made it easier to do things, but in the words of Thanos, “Fine, I’ll do it myself…”

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

This.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Thank you Almost Anonimous (and @DMfan) I know it, I own a camera connection kit and I’ve used it yet… ;)
    Maybe I didn’t explained myself correctly: when I wrote about USB3 port and USB C port I was referring to the two different power bank ports…

When I used the 10000 mAh one I got the power from the USB C port, which in that specific model can do it; on the opposite the 20000 mAh PB can only deliver power from USB 3
    ports and USB C (or micro USB) can only be used for recharging the PB itself….

So, to summarise:

1) 10000 mAh PBank USB C port > ipad cable usb C end > ipad cable lightning end > camera connection kit power port (lightning) > ipad // Novation plugged into camera connection kit USB port

2) 20000 mAh PBank USB 3 port > USB 3 to USB C adapter > ipad cable usb C end > ipad cable lightning end > camera connection kit power port (lightning) > ipad // Novation plugged into camera connection kit USB port

I suspect the problem could be the adapter but I would need to buy a USB3 to lightning cable to verify it so I wanted ask the forum first…

• @seonnthaproducer: thank you, very interesting, I didn’t know that model…

Novation has more options for sure but my main goal is mobility as I’m not an ipad only producer and I use it for jotting songs ideas or starting new projects in Cubasis (and or other apps like Koala or Blocs Wave) that I complete in Cubase

• @arfo62 said:
    1) 10000 mAh PBank USB C port > ipad cable usb C end > ipad cable lightning end > camera connection kit power port (lightning) > ipad // Novation plugged into camera connection kit USB port

2) 20000 mAh PBank USB 3 port > USB 3 to USB C adapter > ipad cable usb C end > ipad cable lightning end > camera connection kit power port (lightning) > ipad // Novation plugged into camera connection kit USB port

I suspect the problem could be the adapter but I would need to buy a USB3 to lightning cable to verify it so I wanted ask the forum first…

A USB to Lightning cable should work just fine with the 20000 mAh powerbank, if it gives power out through USB.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @arfo62 said:
    @seonnthaproducer: thank you, very interesting, I didn’t know that model…

Novation has more options for sure but my main goal is mobility as I’m not an ipad only producer and I use it for jotting songs ideas or starting new projects in Cubasis (and or other apps like Koala or Blocs Wave) that I complete in Cubase

In that case, try TONALY. That's my mobile workflow. I literally make chords on my phone and put it in a DAW. Connecting a controller takes a lot of time from removing it from my bag, to finding a suitable place to work, when I can literally get my phone or iPad and get to work.

If I need to do delicate keyboard work, I put GarageBand, Koala, or Groovebox on scale mode and get to work.

Okay, I'm literally not trying to promote my videos on your post. It's just there's so many similarities with what you're facing and what I've made videos on.

• edited November 2022

After year’s of looking for a neat battery powered portable hub solution for lightning devices, I’m currently very happy with this DIY solution.

It’s a Juice ‘2 charges’ 5000 mah battery stuck with glue
    to an old Kensington 4 port USB travel hub. I spliced together the power cable. CCK in picture is 3rd party, but Apple one of course works fine.

I can power a Launchpad X and an audio interface and for at least 3 hours. This particular battery powers on when I connect the iPad and has a reliable off button, so I don’t need to keep unlugging devices (apart from the iPad itself) when I’m done.

EDIT: @arfo62, I may be reading this wrong, but it seems to me you’re trying to use a power bank to power the CCK, when you need to be powering a USB hub (connected to the CCK).

Powering the CCK will keep your device charged, but that won’t solve the problem of powering your midi controllers. Your power bank doesn’t need to be massive if you want to keep things light.

• @DMfan said:
    A USB to Lightning cable should work just fine with the 20000 mAh powerbank, if it gives power out through USB.
    /DMfan🇸🇪

Thank you DMfan, I’m searching for it but I still haven’t found the right one; they often have generic USB end but it’s not specified if it’s a USB3 one…

@seonnthaproducer: don’t worry I’m not thinking you’re a spammer! ;-) I’ll watch your videos very carefully; i don’t know the app you’re talkin about.

@steve99 very interesting setup! I did a little drawing of my connections, hope it’s clear enough but I think I’m doing things correctly:

Thank you all for answering and helping!

Art

• @steve99 said:
    >

>

One more question: what’s the object inside yellow circle?

Thanx,

Art

• edited November 2022

The object is a home made adapter. Don’t worry about it. See below how to connect things, I can’ t make it more clear buddy. I have a USB- C iPad, but Lightning works the same way:

1. The black cable connects the LK mini to the CCK, you can’ t go wrong here.

2. The white cable, with USB in one end and Lightning in the other connects the powerbank to the CCK. You can’t go wrong here either (my cable in the pic has USB-C in both ends, yours doesn’t, it doesn’t matter).

3. Finally, the CCK cable goes into your iPad.

4. Now both the iPad and the LK mini gets power from the powerbank.

OK? Now go make some music!

😊👊

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @DMfan said:
    The object is a home made adapter. Don’t worry about it. See below how to connect things, I can’ t make it more clear buddy. I have a USB- C iPad, but Lightning works the same way:

1. The black cable connects the LK mini to the CCK, you can’ t go wrong here.

2. The white cable, with USB in one end and Lightning in the other connects the powerbank to the CCK. You can’t go wrong here either (my cable in the pic has USB-C in both ends, yours doesn’t, it doesn’t matter).

3. Finally, the CCK cable goes into your iPad.

4. Now both the iPad and the LK mini gets power from the powerbank.

OK? Now go make some music!

😊👊

/DMfan🇸🇪

Hi DMfan,
    your photo - thank you for posting it - corresponds exactly to what I did in my first try (with my friend’s PB) and then drawn down (as I could…) in my last post; the only difference is that with my PB I had to use an adapter. I definitely need a direct cable: USB3, on the PB end, lightning, on CCK end!

Thank you so much for helping! Let’s go making music! 😉👊🏻

• edited November 2022

@arfo62 said:
    One more question: what’s the object inside yellow circle?

Thanx,

Art

It’s a 3rd party CCK (not homemade). Cheap and reliable in my experience with 2 usb inputs as well as lightning power input.

@DMfan ”I have a USB- C iPad, but Lightning works the same way:” I think this is not correct, they don’t work the same way.

My experience with novation controllers and lightning devices (launchpad x and mini mkiii, Launchkey mini mk1) is that they will sometimes just about work without a powered usb hub (if you supply power to the CCK), but the connection is very unreliable. With a powered hub they are rock solid.

If you keep going without a powered usb hub you will only experience frustration.

With a usb-c iPad you don’t need a powered usb hub (where the powebank/PD power is powering the iPad, which itself has enough power for the controller, unlike lightning devices).

In your drawing number 2, you need to power the usb hub rather than the cck. Power both if you want to keep your iPad charged (both off the same power bank should be ok).

• edited November 2022

@arfo62 Also I think your confusing the usb names which might be hindering your cable search? USB3 (or 2) doesn’t come into it. It doesn’t make any difference for supplying power.

USB-A is the older flat rectangle connector, USB-C the newer smaller connector.

• edited November 2022

@steve99 said:
    It’s a 3rd party CCK (not homemade). Cheap and reliable in my experience with 2 usb inputs as well as lightning power input.

My bad my friend, looked DIY to me. Great it works for you!👍

@DMfan ”I have a USB- C iPad, but Lightning works the same way:” I think this is not correct, they don’t work the same way.

My experience with novation controllers and lightning devices (launchpad x and mini mkiii, Launchkey mini mk1) is that they will sometimes just about work without a powered usb hub (if you supply power to the CCK), but the connection is very unreliable. With a powered hub they are rock solid.

If you keep going without a powered usb hub you will only experience frustration.

We have different experiences here. I used to have an LK mk1 and always powered it off my then Lightning iPad with no issues.

With a usb-c iPad you don’t need a powered usb hub (where the powebank/PD power is powering the iPad, which itself has enough power for the controller, unlike lightning devices).

True, you don’t NEED anything but the USB-C iPad, but longer sessions will drain your internal iPad battery, especially if you also have other stuff connected through a non-powered USB-hub like an audio interface for example. Using a powered USB- hub will of course solve this, but so will a mobile setup using a powerbank. The latter will of course inevitably run out of power in the end but it will keep you going for many hours longer than just using the internal iPad battery…

/DMfan🇸🇪