Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it worth “Upgrading” from a12 iPad normal to iPad mini 6?

I did a job translating for an art exhibition this summer and should be getting a small lump sum after tax. I think it would be just enough for the 256gb version of the iPad mini.

I’ve been eyeing it for a while anyway and I get the feeling it would be fun to use with koala sampler. BUT I’m getting into drambo a bit and is it too small and fiddly on the mini!?

For info I have the eyes of a 47 year old so reading glasses are useful anyway, especially when I’m tired. And I don’t have massive hands.

I only use my iPad for music, YouTube and iPad things Its not not a laptop replacement.

I’ve noticed I’ve been maxing out the processor on my a12 using drambo and a few effects and synths. Would an A15 chip be noticeably better!?

Thanks

Comments

• Would you be against a second hand iPad Pro 11? I think the mini 6 is overpriced and a touch too small to be the main iPad. Screen also doesn’t get as bright as I’d like, and the speakers aren’t as loud/full/strong as the Pro. Lots of tradeoffs before we even talk screen size.

• I would honestly wait for the iPad 10. Even though it will likely loose the 3.5mm jack it will gain a USB-C port and like be powered by an A14/A15 and get a 10.5" screen at a ridiculous price (I'm guessing <$400).

I do have the 11" M1 iPadPro and still somehow find the old iPad Air 2 to be more comfortable in the hands which I guess is due the rounded edges but there's no comparison when it comes to pure performance the M1 knocks the Air 2 clean in just about everything...

When I tried the iPad Mini 6 my eyes just said no, no, no, NO!

For strictly stationary use a 12.9" might be nice but it's too big (for me) to carry around everywhere.

• @Samu said:
    I would honestly wait for the iPad 10. Even though it will likely loose the 3.5mm jack it will gain a USB-C port and like be powered by an A14/A15 and get a 10.5" screen at a ridiculous price (I'm guessing <$400).

I do have the 11" M1 iPadPro and still somehow find the old iPad Air 2 to be more comfortable in the hands which I guess is due the rounded edges but there's no comparison when it comes to pure performance the M1 knocks the Air 2 clean in just about everything...

When I tried the iPad Mini 6 my eyes just said no, no, no, NO!

For strictly stationary use a 12.9" might be nice but it's too big (for me) to carry around everywhere.

Yeah the 12 seems nice but unwieldy!! I heard they are making a 14” which just sounds mental but goes up against the surface artists tablet things I guess.

I can definitely wait for an iPad 10 if it’s got the sweet sweet industrial design thing going on. And if the price is similar to the current cheapo iPads all the better.

I dunno I was just swayed by all the talk of portability and power but honestly iPads are very portable anyway I don’t notice mine in my backpack at all.

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Would you be against a second hand iPad Pro 11? I think the mini 6 is overpriced and a touch too small to be the main iPad. Screen also doesn’t get as bright as I’d like, and the speakers aren’t as loud/full/strong as the Pro. Lots of tradeoffs before we even talk screen size.

That’s interesting and no I wouldn’t be against a pro 11 at all. If the mini has issues aside from screen size then I dunno. I got the feeling speakers and battery were as good as the big iPads from reviews, but if not then yeah that gives me something to think about!

They look really neat though!

• I’ve got the mini 6 (few months ago, recent acquisition, 256, purple like my phone, in John Lewis glass cabinet of marked-down returns, good price, still within 10 days to be able to buy AppleCare+ (so I did))

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to see the stuff on the screen properly, at this age, but then again I have an iPhone 12 mini so I manage on that with reading glasses (without reading glasses the iPad would have to be the size of my telly!).

I quite like the detail that the iPhone mini in it’s apple magsafe case held upright against the iPad mini are the same dimension!

(That keyboard is what I use with it – very good, Bluetooth (with three Bluetooth target buttons to switch between, I also use it with my previous iPad Pro the keyboard case of which has stopped working as a keyboard except on rare occasions) (the remaining button is for a Raspberry Pi 2 in the Raspberry Pi official touchscreen which basically displays a web-based digital clock (http://thecolourclock.com/) full screen and nothing else))

• edited October 2022

It really depends on what apps you're using. Drambo works very well on a Mini, as far as I remember the module display size is always the same, even on iPhone, it's just that less rack width will fit on the screen. But a few apps have fiddly controls that are already hard to use on a 10" iPad.

BTW I know that keyboard @u0421793, it's excellent and I'm only missing backlight.

• I do like my Mini 6 as my sofa or bed device as I can hold it for long periods of time, whereas I find there is a limit to how long I can hold the Air 4 comfortably. My eyes are still thankfully pretty good and I have not had any issues with any of the apps I use from a layout or control point of view. I do however have the Apple Pencil 2 and without it then I can imagine a number of apps would be more difficult to use.

I did think it was a little expensive compared to the other mid-range iPads but in the end I did not mind paying for something that had more music apps available than an iPhone but without the extra bulk of a larger model.

• @rs2000 said:
    It really depends on what apps you're using. Drambo works very well on a Mini, as far as I remember the module display size is always the same, even on iPhone, it's just that less rack width will fit on the screen. But a few apps have fiddly controls that are already hard to use on a 10" iPad.

BTW I know that keyboard @u0421793, it's excellent and I'm only missing backlight.

Have to say that the fiddliest app of all for me is fundamental. I have to use the pen for that one.

Good to hear drambo doesn’t get smaller. Will have to try it on my phone. Didn’t even think it was possible! > @u0421793 said:

I’ve got the mini 6 (few months ago, recent acquisition, 256, purple like my phone, in John Lewis glass cabinet of marked-down returns, good price, still within 10 days to be able to buy AppleCare+ (so I did))

I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to see the stuff on the screen properly, at this age, but then again I have an iPhone 12 mini so I manage on that with reading glasses (without reading glasses the iPad would have to be the size of my telly!).

I quite like the detail that the iPhone mini in it’s apple magsafe case held upright against the iPad mini are the same dimension!

(That keyboard is what I use with it – very good, Bluetooth (with three Bluetooth target buttons to switch between, I also use it with my previous iPad Pro the keyboard case of which has stopped working as a keyboard except on rare occasions) (the remaining button is for a Raspberry Pi 2 in the Raspberry Pi official touchscreen which basically displays a web-based digital clock (http://thecolourclock.com/) full screen and nothing else))

Thanks and thanks for the photo. I use an iPhone SE so the size is similar to your mini. Looks like it’s actually a very big jump in screen size. For some reason I couldn’t quite imagine the screen size compared like that. > @MisplacedDevelopment said:

I do like my Mini 6 as my sofa or bed device as I can hold it for long periods of time, whereas I find there is a limit to how long I can hold the Air 4 comfortably. My eyes are still thankfully pretty good and I have not had any issues with any of the apps I use from a layout or control point of view. I do however have the Apple Pencil 2 and without it then I can imagine a number of apps would be more difficult to use.

I did think it was a little expensive compared to the other mid-range iPads but in the end I did not mind paying for something that had more music apps available than an iPhone but without the extra bulk of a larger model.

I would definitely use it with a pencil of some kind. I already use a third party Apple Pencil thing with my iPad! It’s very useful. I’d be buying it second hand or refurbished so hopefully not full price.

• edited October 2022

Tough call, but to me it boils down to where you will use it the most, besides the obvious internal qualities, ie chip, cores, etc… When I got this iPad I was deciding between this one and a mini 4, at the time, I think. I mostly use my iPad at home, or at someone’s house, so I wanted the extra screen size, vs the slightly increased mobility. With some apps, the screen size is at a premium. Sure you can make music on any iDevice, but when I got serious about iOS music I’m really glad I grabbed an iPad vs the mini. Everything is easier to do on a bigger screen. It improved everything. So if constant mobility isn’t you’re primary concern, I’d definitely go for a larger screen. Obviously major concerns are the chip, processing power, space, etc… but beyond those big ones screen size truly makes a big difference for iOS music making.

• The newest iPads regular models aren’t that expensive in the USA at least.

• In the end you have to see what you like some people like working on small screens but me personally I would never choose a smaller screen to make music if I had other options
    Like if I was broke and could only afford a small iPad I would do that but in your case I think I would rather wait for the nextnot so small iPad to come out

• The mini 6 screen is fine for Drambo, and perfect for Koala. Things can get fiddly in Drambo if you use lots of AU windows.

Also, it’s too small for Loopy Pro unless you keep it in donut-only view.

• edited October 2022

Thanks, everyone! I work mostly at home, am a real homebody, don't commute, and don't spend any time In cafes, When I go on holiday, I only really get to my iPad at night or in the evening and whatnot, so any time I spend on it I am 80% at home on the sofa or in bed. I'm not a doctor or a pilot, and as a teacher when I am visiting students the iPad is pretty handy the size is good as we can both see it clearly.

I guess the small form really just enamours me but from a practical point of view the iPad is a good size. Having said that I must admit I preferred the physical size of the 8.9 inch Ipad, it felt compact and sturdier tbh.

Long story short... it's the internals that are important for me, so I'll just wait and see what the future brings, or maybe get a 2nd hand iPad pro... it's slightly shorter than my iPad which is good