Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help with AUM remote "mute/un-mute"

This is what I'm trying to obtain in AUM:
to have a remote controller that sends a CC that mutes a channel and a different CC that un-mutes it.

I can mute it (or unmute it) with a single CC or I can invert its state, but I haven't find a way to do what I need.

So, to better explain, I want to be able to mute or unmute a channel, without knowing its status in advance and without opening AUM, just by sending the correct CC.

Any hint or idea is really appreciated!

Thanks, Alex

Comments

• You can’t query the state of AUM controls unfortunately and so if you don’t know the starting state then I don’t think there is a way of doing this simply with just AUM. There are few workarounds that I can think of, off the top of my head:

1. Write a StreamByter script which acts as a go-between that tracks the mute state and responds accordingly to each of the two CCs. IIRC, you can have StreamByter save variables between sessions so hopefully they won’t go out of step.
    2. Use the channel volume control and set to zero for mute or whatever the default is for unmute. To manually control the actual volume then use the Gain AUM FX plugin.
    3. Do the opposite of (2) and control the Gain plugin via CCs to mute the channel. This lets you use the channel fader control as normal.
  • @keyb: if you use a single CC you can mute and unmute as you want. Send your CC with a value of 127 to mute and 0 to unmute. You don't need to know the state of AUM.

Say you use CC 60. Sending CC 60 with value 127 will always mute and sending 0 will always unmute as long as you do NOT turn on cycle or toggle.

• You can do this by simply using the value of a CC, 0 for unmute, 127 for mute. I suspect it switches at value 64. The pic shows CC1 able to mute and unmute channel 1 just by sending 0 or 127. Note that this is not a toggle (Cycle), just a straight CC value.

• @MisplacedDevelopment
    Your idea is clever and simple at the same time! Thanks!

@espiegel123
    Didn't realize that! Thank you!

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    You can’t query the state of AUM controls unfortunately and so if you don’t know the starting state then I don’t think there is a way of doing this simply with just AUM. There are few workarounds that I can think of, off the top of my head:

1. Write a StreamByter script which acts as a go-between that tracks the mute state and responds accordingly to each of the two CCs. IIRC, you can have StreamByter save variables between sessions so hopefully they won’t go out of step.

For this approach, tracking the state isn't needed. With Cycle turned off the script just needs to translate the two incoming CC's into a single CC that is either 0 or 127.

Example, in streambyter:
    (Examples assume CC values sent are 127 for ON actual usage could be different.)

# Translate CC 20 127 to CC 22 0
    BX 14 7F = BX 16 00
    BX 14 = XX +B

# Translate CC 21 127 to CC 22 127
    BX 15 7F = BX 16 00
    BX 15 = XX +B

@Description
      Translate CC 20 127 to CC 22 0
      Translate CC 21 127 to CC 22 127
    @End

@OnLoad
      muteCC = 21
      unMuteCC = 20
      aumCC = 22
    @End

@OnMidiCC
      if MIDIByte2 = muteCC and MIDIByte3 = 127
        byte3 = 127
      elseif MIDIByte2 = unMuteCC and MIDIByte3 = 127
        byte3 = 0
      endif
      SendMIDICC MIDIChannel, aumCC, byte3
    @End

• OP doesn’t need two different CCs for what he wants. I think they just didn’t know that with cycle and toggle off that a cc value of 127 always means mute and 0 always means unmute regardless of the current state.

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    OP doesn’t need two different CCs for what he wants. I think they just didn’t know that with cycle and toggle off that a cc value of 127 always means mute and 0 always means unmute regardless of the current state.

@Keyb said:
    This is what I'm trying to obtain in AUM:
    to have a remote controller that sends a CC that mutes a channel and a different CC that un-mutes it.

[post edited to clarify]

... the rest of the discussion happened while I was testing those scripts. I only saw the conversation had moved on after I posted the scripts written based on the OP's assumption. Good to see they're not needed and a simpler answer was found.

• @wim Thanks for you script, it's indeed useful to understand a little bit more on how to handle this situations!