Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s discuss, in theory, how to port TAL 101 and J-8 to iOS

Let’ s suppose, in theory, TAL would like to port these two synths to iOS. Let’s not get sidetracked about other things, the above is the sole theoretical question.

What would the issues be and how would they be solved? I can start.

Apart from the recent preset issue in the new version, the TAL UNO LX is working fine, for me at least. I think the GUI is working and the app itself is great. The GUI also lends itself pretty good for my iPad.

I think the same would apply to the 101. A non-cluttered GUI that would fit the screen nicely, and… yeah, that’s about it. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I can’t tell how heavy it would be on an iPad when it comes to processing, but I guess any newer iPad would be able to handle it. We have other synths like Model D and Zeeon for example that both require some punch in the processor department.

The J-8 on the other hand…

The GUI is filled with many controls and I think it would be hard to fit them all on one screen. One solution would be to make the control window scrollable from top to bottom to only show three rows of controls instead of four, while the keyboard in the bottom and general controls to the left can be fixed. We have this solution on Synthmaster already as an AUv3, but horizontally.

Processor-wise I have no clue on how heavy it is on PC/Mac. But, would it be a problem if a synth like this, one of the “ Holy Grail synths” to at least me, would require a newer iPad? I think this would be understandable and accepted.

Any thoughts on this?

/DMfan🇸🇪

Comments

• "What would the issues be and how would they be solved?"

That's for the developer to decide, not the fine folks of the forum.

• @NeuM said:
    "What would the issues be and how would they be solved?"

That's for the developer to decide, not the fine folks of the forum.

True. But what if?

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Charge a sustainable price for them in the first place. The rest will fall into place.

• That is wiser than at first glance.👌

We’ve seen too many developers not charging enough, having to slow down or stop development. What would a user want to pay for these apps? TAL UNO LX was not the cheapest one as I can recall, so someone did a job of calculating. Of course, we don’t know how the business case for it turned out, but my guess it was not the most profitable one. Then we would have seen 101 and the J-8 a long time ago.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• /DMfan🇸🇪

• Just want to say that I would buy both of these apps immediately.

• @dokwok2 said:
    Just want to say that I would buy both of these apps immediately.

Same here, so that will be 2 buyers then, I’ll guess that will cover the costs :p

• @Slush said:

@dokwok2 said:
    Just want to say that I would buy both of these apps immediately.

Same here, so that will be 2 buyers then, I’ll guess that will cover the costs :p

Three that is.

😂

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Any thing by TAL on iOS is an instant buy. Their synths are the phatest Roland emulations around, period.

• edited October 2022

@Stuntman_mike said:
    VAPoly is a very good J8 emulation:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vapoly/id1630490210

Yep, very smooth sounding VA synth. Just purchased this weekend. Would be good to see more tutorials on his one.