Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fast battery drain iPad Pro

I just wonder if it’s me, but moving from an iPad 2017 to iPad Pro 11’ about 2 months ago there’s actually one thing that bugs me and that’s fast battery drain. Something I hoped that would improve moving from a old dinosaurs to a 2021 Pro model. :| Is that a common thing? Messing around with synths, fx and all, my iPad is almost every day on the charger..

Comments

• @Slush said:
    I just wonder if it’s me, but moving from an iPad 2017 to iPad Pro 11’ about 2 months ago there’s actually one thing that bugs me and that’s fast battery drain. Something I hoped that would improve moving from a old dinosaurs to a 2021 Pro model. :| Is that a common thing? Messing around with synths, fx and all, my iPad is almost every day on the charger..

My iPad non pro from 2020 has been draining really fast since updating to iOS 16

• As batteries get older they loose overall capacity...
    ...and well faster devices with bigger and brighter screens need more power.

When I'm hooked up to an audio interface I keep the iPad charged at all times.
    I charge my 11" M1 iPadPro every 2-4 days or so depending on usage.

We'll see how well iPadOS16.1 runs when released as I simply refuse to de iOS betas...
    ...it's too much hassle with backups and restores to be worth the effort.

• @Samu said:
    As batteries get older they loose overall capacity...
    ...and well faster devices with bigger and brighter screens need more power.

When I'm hooked up to an audio interface I keep the iPad charged at all times.
    I charge my 11" M1 iPadPro every 2-4 days or so depending on usage.

We'll see how well iPadOS16.1 runs when released as I simply refuse to de iOS betas...
    ...it's too much hassle with backups and restores to be worth the effort.

We have the same iPad. I’m thinking of buying a large power cord and keep it on the charger while working on music.

• @Slush said:

We have the same iPad. I’m thinking of buying a large power cord and keep it on the charger while working on music.

That is what I do...
    I'd suggest getting a USB-C hub as well if you pan to use an additional audio-interfaces or other gear.

I got the previous version of this...
    https://linqbyelements.dk/products/pro-usb-c-10gbps-multiport-hub-with-4k-hdmi-and-card-reader

When not connected to the hub I use the built-in speakers or USB-C->3.5mm jack for headphones...
    ...I can't stand stand the latency of AirPods unless it's for watching movies or listening to music.

Cheers!

• edited September 2022

I noticed the same thing going from iPad 2018 to a 2021 11 inch M1 pro. The pro gets great battery life for watching movies but most apps drain it quite fast. An hour or two with AUM typically chews 20% of the battery. I always plug it into a powered hub for long sessions and that also connects my audio interface, keyboards etc.

I’m a bit disappointed with the M1’s battery life but it handles two to three times as many plugins in AUM as the old one. It’s a trade off.

• @rheslip said:

I’m a bit disappointed with the M1’s battery life but it handles two to three times as many plugins in AUM as the old one. It’s a trade off.

Yeah, it's always a trade-off...
    ...I've yet to check how 'low power mode' (Settings -> Battery -> Low Power Mode) affects the over all performance as very few apps are optimized to use multiple cores...
    (There's no practically noticeable difference when watching movies, listening to music, browsing the internet and light gaming with low power mode enabled).

• @Samu said:

@Slush said:

That is what I do...
    I'd suggest getting a USB-C hub as well if you pan to use an additional audio-interfaces or other gear.

I got the previous version of this...
    https://linqbyelements.dk/products/pro-usb-c-10gbps-multiport-hub-with-4k-hdmi-and-card-reader

When not connected to the hub I use the built-in speakers or USB-C->3.5mm jack for headphones...
    ...I can't stand stand the latency of AirPods unless it's for watching movies or listening to music.

Cheers!

Good tip!
    And oh.. that hideous flimsy USB-C 3.5mm headphone adapter, another pain. Got a great Audio Technica headphone and the only way to connect it to an €€€€€€ ipad is with that €10 flip-flop thing that looks like it’s going to break down even when you look at it.

• @Slush said:
    Got a great Audio Technica headphone and the only way to connect it to an €€€€€€ ipad is with that €10 flip-flop thing that looks like it’s going to break down even when you look at it.

LOL, Yeah, just roll it in some duct tape and it'll last a while longer :sunglasses:

• I find my pro 11 2020 goes down quickly but that’s only because I have a tone of controllers attached to it.

Otherwise I think it is pretty similar to my old pro 10.5. Nowhere near 10hrs when using music apps of course.

• When you upgrade your iPad to the latest version of iOS AND when you upgrade to a new iPad, make sure you do a force restart to clear out the garbage in RAM. If your battery continues to drain fast with a new iPad, it's possible you bought one with a bad battery, but it's potentially more likely Apple has not yet optimized the latest version of iOS for battery efficiency.

• @NeuM said:
    When you upgrade your iPad to the latest version of iOS AND when you upgrade to a new iPad, make sure you do a force restart to clear out the garbage in RAM. If your battery continues to drain fast with a new iPad, it's possible you bought one with a bad battery, but it's potentially more likely Apple has not yet optimized the latest version of iOS for battery efficiency.

You know, that’s not a bad idea to do force restart from time to time. My wife wanted to do a screen recording on our old iPad, but couldn’t. After a force restart everything was fine again. I think there’s a lot going on behind the scenes of our devices that needs a cleanup.

• @Slush said:

Similar experience for me on new iPad Pro, iOS 15.
    Even when doing light work it surprises me how quickly the charge goes.
    I’ve turned off background app refresh and disabled notifications but it made little difference.
    On the positive side, charging seems faster than my previous iPad.

• @iamspoon said:

@Slush said:

I’ve turned off background app refresh and disabled notifications but it made little difference.

I think half hour messing around with synths & fx drains 10%. True, it charges fast!

• edited September 2022

@iamspoon said:

@Slush said:

My first generation iPad Pro dies in minutes if it's running almost any synth app and/or GarageBand at the same time, so it is always connected to power now. And I'm not buying a new one until it can no longer be updated... I'm just that opposed to losing my 1/8" headphone jack connection. And other than the battery, it still works great.

• edited September 2022

@NeuM said:
    And I'm not buying a new one until it can no longer be updated... I'm just that opposed to losing my 1/8" headphone jack connection.

The USB-C 3.5mm adapter is just lovely, every time I plug it in I’m doing a heel-click jump.

• Turn off cellular network

• @sevenape said:

@Slush said:

My iPad non pro from 2020 has been draining really fast since updating to iOS 16

Had mine age’s but lately I’ve noticed a massive depletion of battery life, even more so when just idle. It could be due to a recent update.

• I've noticed my m1 air drains quicker when using the external DACs like the hyperdrive 6in1 adapter and the sharkoon pd effort, I literally hate the apple usb headphone adapter so I'm will to take the trade off, I've taken to turning the iPad all the way off when not in use now to avoid excessive charging cycles and always using a pd capable power bank when using controllers or interfaces..