Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2 or 4 input audio interface? Or more?

I'm wondering how many inputs I should have on my audio interface? I got a MicroFreak that i've been using with really basic iRig adapter but I want to get a couple of hardware synth modules and I'm wondering how much IO people recommend? At first I assumed 2 was plenty but then I realised stereo synths will use up IO quickly!
So now I'm leaning towards a 4in, but maybe I should even go for more? I have a pretty small workspace so I don't want a huge unit either. Any good (reasonably priced) recommendations?

Comments

• I'm waiting on the Arturia MiniFuse 4 which looks perfect for my needs. Seems to be extremely delayed though.

• I had my eye on that as well. I especially liked that it seems quite compact compared to a lot of alternatives. Shame it seems to be delayed.

• @FastGhost said:
    I'm waiting on the Arturia MiniFuse 4 which looks perfect for my needs. Seems to be extremely delayed though.

I was hoping for that, but needed a new interface, so went for the MOTU M4.

In answer to the original question, whatever you get, you can be sure you’ll need more inputs sooner or later. I was sure 4 would be enough, yet a couple of times recently I could really have used more.

• If you’re recording by yourself, and assuming you don’t mind plugging and unplugging things, 4 inputs is probably good. My attitude is, if you needed more than four inputs, you would know it by now — you can always use a mixer if you want to livestream.

The general advice is “get the absolute best thing you can afford,” but with audio interfaces it’s a bit trickier because you can usually get one with fewer connections and better sound for the same price as something with better connectivity and less exciting sound. 4 inputs seems to be the “sweet spot” for midrange interfaces right now — more inputs and you’re probably sacrificing quality, fewer inputs and you’re probably paying for quality you won’t ever notice.

FWIW I haven’t exactly followed my own advice. I used a 2-input Apogee Duet iOS for eight years and often found myself wishing for more connectivity, but I really liked the MFi integration so I stuck with it. I recently bought a 4-input UA Volt 476 but it’s nowhere near the upgrade as I had hoped; I still have to plug and unplug somewhat regularly and the Duet works noticeably better with dynamic microphones because it has an additional 20db of gain. The Volt’s extra inputs are fantastic for when I want to run my drum machine, vocals, and guitar into Loopy Pro, but more often than not I still find myself using the Duet.

• The general advice is “get the absolute best thing you can afford,

I usually do although with interface prices the sky is the limit and this is just a small hobby for me. Also a lot of the sales pitch for expensive interfaces is for mic preamps while i will almost certainly never use a mic (for one thing I can't sing ;).

Still good to see there is some consensus that it's worth getting 4 inputs. I couldn't decide when i got the microfreak so i ended up with an iRig for less than 10 bucks just to see if i liked hardware. Maybe I just wait for the minifuse 4 (I actually lust after the Audiofuse but it's over 500€ which is a bit absurd for just noodling about... unless someone has a second hand one they want to sell me ;)

• Budget tip:

the behringer UMC interfaces are great value.i had and have (bought it again) the 404 and also have a 204.There is also a version with more in/out.They sound good,very reliable (full metal case) and run without problems on ios with extremly low latency.

I use the 404 to „transform“ my ipad inot a hardware multi fx processor (plugging 4 send from my mixer in).

It all works very well in AUM with 96khz,32 bit and lowest latency.AUM says 0.67 ms with 64 buffersize.I wish i could even go down to 32 samples though.As a send effect there is no audible latency but as an insert there can be a tiny little bit

• @Crabman said:
    Budget tip:

the behringer UMC interfaces are great value.i had and have (bought it again) the 404 and also have a 204.There is also a version with more in/out.They sound good,very reliable (full metal case) and run without problems on ios with extremly low latency.

I use the 404 to „transform“ my ipad inot a hardware multi fx processor (plugging 4 send from my mixer in).

It all works very well in AUM with 96khz,32 bit and lowest latency.AUM says 0.67 ms with 64 buffersize.I wish i could even go down to 32 samples though.As a send effect there is no audible latency but as an insert there can be a tiny little bit

Yep UMC1820 here, with adat ADA8200 really great budget option.

• @knewspeak said:

@Crabman said:
    Budget tip:

I‘m thinking about this combinaton for my macbook but i still love hands on mixing too much.I need a multitrack solution,my Signature 16 (plus 2 small submixer 😂) has just stereo out and its extremely annoying to record tracks from a jam session one by one.I would love to buy the MTK22 but the price went through the roof.Already 300€ more than 2 years ago 😜

• @Crabman said:

@knewspeak said:

@Crabman said:
    Budget tip:

I‘m thinking about this combinaton for my macbook but i still love hands on mixing too much.I need a multitrack solution,my Signature 16 (plus 2 small submixer 😂) has just stereo out and its extremely annoying to record tracks from a jam session one by one.I would love to buy the MTK22 but the price went through the roof.Already 300€ more than 2 years ago 😜

It’s certainly not a hands-on system unless placed optimally the settings can be difficult to determine, that’s it’s downside, also the placement of inputs and outputs of both unit’s.

• I saw recommendations for the UMC1820 but it's way too bulky for my space. For a pure synth setup it's a bit annoying that everything is made big by all those XLR combo jacks (you could pack that number of TRS plugs in half the space).

• @mangecoeur said:
    I saw recommendations for the UMC1820 but it's way too bulky for my space. For a pure synth setup it's a bit annoying that everything is made big by all those XLR combo jacks (you could pack that number of TRS plugs in half the space).

It’s not a bad compromise, but the clipping meters adjusted by the knobs aren’t ideal for hands on adjustment and legibility isn’t ideal either, but if your setup is fairly static then it’s fine.

• Another thumbs up for the UMC404. Bought it a couple of years ago and only used it a few times with my Windows pc. Plugged it into 2021 iPad Pro and was blown away at how useful it was with iOS and AUM. Really glad I bought the 4 channel version. It has MIDI in and out as well which I use all the time for external synths and controllers.