Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone into the WOO here? UFOs etc?

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah..... If you get a large enough sample group, who feel they're in a safe space, lots of people have weird stories to tell. I've had plenty of students over the years talk about ghost experiences etc. Still not sure what to make of it.

I saw it and don’t know what it was, but I do think it’s very worthy of serious investigation to try to find out.

• Slightly more chance of aliens coming than Logic Pro for ipad, but equally near zero :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Slightly more chance of aliens coming than Logic Pro for ipad, but equally near zero :)

LOL!

• @Carnbot said:
    Slightly more chance of aliens coming than Logic Pro for ipad, but equally near zero :)

Turn that around, could Logic Pro be brought to the iPad? Could UFO’s be controlled by ‘aliens’?
    Unless you can see the future and know every minutiae of the universe then the range of these possibilities is impossible to guess, assigning any number is ridiculous folly.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

Turn that around, could Logic Pro be brought to the iPad? Could UFO’s be controlled by ‘aliens’?
    Unless you can see the future and know every minutiae of the universe then the range of these possibilities is impossible to guess, assigning any number is ridiculous folly.

Not a folly, but maths which can be disproved or proved but they are useful to know how to guide what to study and what to expect. The scale of the universe and the improbability of intelligent life evolving means that the closest is likely to be so far away we'll never be able to detect it, which is why we haven't already. Which means that everything on earth so far is almost certainly natural phenomena we don't understand or is misreported. We've all had strange experiences which turned out to be explainable.

Unfortunately we have to solve this human mess by ourselves, no one is coming, it's a human existential problem.
    I'm sure any aliens in distant galaxies have there own problems to deal with rather than spending vast amounts of energy to get here and then only appearing as a grey digital smudge on a HUD display :)

But it is fun to speculate of course.

• @monz0id said:
    When I was a kid, I used to read a comic that had a section at the back with weekly UFO photos. My dad saw me reading it, and told me this story:

When he was about the same age, he was out in the fields on his family farm in West Ireland. Out of the corner of his eye he saw an object approaching over the horizon. It was a bright, cloudless sunny day, and from his viewpoint on the hill watched as a large (60 - 70ft across) silver, metallic disc, silently skimmed over the fields about a hundred yards below him, just missing the hedges by a few feet, eventually disappearing again over the opposite horizon. This would have been in the late 1930's/early 40's.

'That was a flying saucer!' I excitedly told him, only to have the suggestion laughed at and batted away. My dad, a semi-pro boxer and builder did not entertain any of that 'nonsense', and instead concluded it was 'secret military, something like that'.

80-odd years later I still haven't seen anything 'military' that matched his perfect description of a flying saucer.

@knewspeak said:
    My encounter took place in 1989, in Sheffield UK, it was just a few weeks prior to the Hillsborough football disaster around February, it was cold but no snow or ice, it was a fairly clear sky. I set off about 10 o’clock to head to a local petrol station to pick up some cigarettes and milk on Netherthorpe Road. I was walking down the hill from my flat when I noticed to the east, what I thought was a star, but this speck of light was moving at pace, in a haphazard fashion side to side, quite a distance, at speed, which I thought odd.

Crossing a road I lost track of it. As I continued walking down hill I noticed, a couple, I’d say in their 20’s were stood still looking skyward, kind of transfixed, as I approached them I turned to see what they were looking at. It was a ufo, lights red and yellow slowly swirling on the lower part, this seemed almost like a plasma, quite like a naked flame moves, but focused as several light’s would be as well. The top part was very dark you could see outlined against the slightly lighter sky behind. It was absolutely silent, I would estimate it was probably about 100-200 feet away towards the west of us and probably the same height from the ground, guessing the size probably 20 to 40 feet across typical saucer shaped side on. I told the couple what I had witnessed in the distance and that it looked like a ufo, they seemed almost lost for words. I ran back up the hill to return to the flat to tell my girlfriend and hopefully she’d get to see. Sadly this thing just completely disappeared from view. We both looked for it from the veranda, at the flat, but it was gone, but passing from a northern to southern direction within a few minutes was a military fighter aircraft, I clearly made out it’s outline and the jet noise. It wasn’t too far away from the city centre and I’ve no idea if anyone else witnessed it. It was like nothing I’ve seen since, apart from the US military videos but they seem blurred versions to what I and the couple witnessed.

Thanks for sharing these!! I’m totally fascinated by first hand testimony… thank you!!

• Just very recently also got into the gobekli tepe and younger dryas business… that stuff is insane and that’s without aliens involved… there is so much new evidence being revealed about amazing levels of technology and civilization much earlier than we ever thought. Something like the Antikithera is just such a tantalizing thing… I wonder if everything we know about civilization and history is wrong.

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

Not a folly, but maths which can be disproved or proved but they are useful to know how to guide what to study and what to expect. The scale of the universe and the improbability of intelligent life evolving means that the closest is likely to be so far away we'll never be able to detect it, which is why we haven't already. Which means that everything on earth so far is almost certainly natural phenomena we don't understand or is misreported. We've all had strange experiences which turned out to be explainable.

Unfortunately we have to solve this human mess by ourselves, no one is coming, it's a human existential problem.
    I'm sure any aliens in distant galaxies have there own problems to deal with rather than spending vast amounts of energy to get here and then only appearing as a grey digital smudge on a HUD display :)

Interesting, you assume they would communicate using the same methods we have only just over a century ago, invented, you assume because we can’t go there, they couldn’t get here. As for a natural interest in thing’s tell zoologists they are wasting their time and efforts studying other creatures in their natural habitat or trying to save species near extinction.

If it is ‘aliens’ they would be a natural part of the universe, therefore may have a natural curiosity, if we would appear ‘child like’ to them. Then maybe as we do, we let our own children chose their destiny, if they make mistakes, we hope they learn from them. A guiding influence rather than a strict policy of adherence to parental teachings.

• @sevenape said:
    Just very recently also got into the gobekli tepe and younger dryas business… that stuff is insane and that’s without aliens involved… there is so much new evidence being revealed about amazing levels of technology and civilization much earlier than we ever thought. Something like the Antikithera is just such a tantalizing thing… I wonder if everything we know about civilization and history is wrong.

Scientific methodology is itself a natural process, often it undergoes Kuhnian moments, we could well be on the verge of such a shift in our perspective of self and relation to the universe.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

Interesting, you assume they would communicate using the same methods we have only just over a century ago, invented, you assume because we can’t go there, they couldn’t get here. As for a natural interest in thing’s tell zoologists they are wasting their time and efforts studying other creatures in their natural habitat or trying to save species near extinction.

If it is ‘aliens’ they would be a natural part of the universe, therefore may have a natural curiosity, if we would appear ‘child like’ to them. Then maybe as we do, we let our own children chose their destiny, if they make mistakes, we hope they learn from them. A guiding influence rather than a strict policy of adherence to parental teachings.

No, it's not assuming anything, it's just evidence based reasoning. When there is more evidence to look at then there is more to reason with.
    We could also just as much be in an artificial simulation and reality isn't real at all.
    But in all probability that's unlikely as well.

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

No, it's not assuming anything, it's just evidence based reasoning. When there is more evidence to look at then there is more to reason with.
    We could also just as much be in an artificial simulation and reality isn't real at all.

There’s no lack of evidence, but if you want better evidence, you do indeed have to look for it and be willing to look at it objectively without prejudice.

• edited September 2022

Well, that went down as expected.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

There’s no lack of evidence, but if you want better evidence, you do indeed have to look for it and be willing to look at it objectively without prejudice.

But that's the thing, there is no real evidence yet which isn't speculation, or unverifiable anecdotal.
    But I'm always interested in any new phenomena and follow all science topics with interest :)

• Todmorden was the birthplace of Keith Emerson who I’m sure was famous for his Upturned Flying Organ

• @cyberheater said:

@monz0id said:
    He described seeing an almost clichéd sci-fi movie flying saucer (which he would have had no knowledge of at that time), witnessed in perfect daytime visibility. Debunkers can snigger and bunk all they like, but a sighting report from my totally down-to-earth, zero bullshit, dad convinced me that a number of the classic saucer type sightings that were dismissed as ‘too obvious’, might be worth taking more seriously.

I find this kind of testimony better then photos or film. Thanks for sharing.

No way that was "ours".

Better for what? Entertainment purposes? 🙂 Genuine question though, because there's no less reliable testimony than that built on human memory, especially distant human memory.

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

But that's the thing, there is no real evidence yet which isn't speculation, or unverifiable anecdotal.
    But I'm always interested in any new phenomena and follow all science topics with interest :)

I’d suggest Brian Keating, Eric Weinstein, Avi Loeb for starters, these are but a few brave fellows who dare to look. All I believe you could have, not so long ago, called ‘die hard skeptics’.

• @ervin said:

@cyberheater said:

@monz0id said:
    He described seeing an almost clichéd sci-fi movie flying saucer (which he would have had no knowledge of at that time), witnessed in perfect daytime visibility. Debunkers can snigger and bunk all they like, but a sighting report from my totally down-to-earth, zero bullshit, dad convinced me that a number of the classic saucer type sightings that were dismissed as ‘too obvious’, might be worth taking more seriously.

I find this kind of testimony better then photos or film. Thanks for sharing.

No way that was "ours".

Better for what? Entertainment purposes? 🙂 Genuine question though, because there's no less reliable testimony than that built on human memory, especially distant human memory.

You therefore exist in the moment, the present, everything you learned, experienced is but a fallacy, totally unreliable? Photo’s, Videos, Radar traces, corroborated eyewitness testimony, mere whimsical flights of fancy. :D

• Many interesting stories here. But this excerpt from 'Mistakes Were Made But Not By Me' (a book about cognitive dissonance in all its various manifestations) is worth a read:

One evening while riding his bike across rural Nebraska, Michael Shermer was abducted by aliens. A large spaceship landed, forcing Shermer to the side of the road. Aliens descended from the ship and abducted him for ninety minutes, after which he had no memory of what had happened. Shermer’s experience was not unusual; millions of Americans believe they have had some kind of encounter with UFOs or aliens. For some, it happens while they are driving long, boring miles with little change of scenery, usually at night; they gray out, losing track of time and distance, and then wonder what happened during the minutes or hours they were out of it. Some people, professional pilots among them, see mysterious lights hovering in the sky. For most, the experience occurs in the weird mental haze between sleeping and waking when they see ghosts, aliens, shadows, or spirits on their bed. Often they feel physically paralyzed, unable to move.
    The bicycle racer, the driver, and the sleeper are at the top of the pyramid: Something inexplicable and alarming has happened, but what? You can live with not knowing why you woke up in a grumpy mood today, but you can’t live with not knowing why you woke up with a goblin sitting on your bed. If you are a scientist or another stripe of skeptic, you will make some inquiries and learn there is a reassuring explanation for this frightening event: During the deepest stage of sleep, when dreaming is most likely to occur, part of the brain shuts down body movements so you won’t go hurling yourself around the bed as you dream of chasing tigers. If you awaken from this stage before your body does, you will actually be momentarily paralyzed; if your brain is still generating dream images, you will, for a few seconds, have a waking dream. That’s why those figures on the bed are dreamlike, nightmarish—you are dreaming, but with your eyes open. Sleep paralysis, says Richard J. McNally, a Harvard psychological scientist and clinician who studies memory and trauma, is “no more pathological than a hiccup.” It is quite common, he says, “especially for people whose sleep patterns have been disrupted by jet lag, shift work, or fatigue.” About 30 percent of the population has had the sensation of sleep paralysis, but only about 5 percent have had the waking hallucinations as well. Just about everyone who has experienced sleep paralysis plus waking dreams reports that the feeling this combination evokes is terror.28 It is, dare we say, an alien sensation.

Michael Shermer, a skeptic by disposition and profession, understood almost immediately what had happened to him: “My abduction experience was triggered by extreme sleep deprivation and physical exhaustion,” he later wrote.29 “I had just ridden a bicycle 83 straight hours and 1,259 miles in the opening days of the 3,100-mile nonstop transcontinental Race Across America. I was sleepily weaving down the road when my support motor home flashed its high beams and pulled alongside, and my crew entreated me to take a sleep break. At that moment a distant memory of the 1960s television series The Invaders was inculcated into my waking dream . . . Suddenly the members of my support team were transmogrified into aliens.”

People like Shermer react to this otherworldly experience by saying, in effect, “My, what a weird and scary waking dream; isn’t the brain fascinating?” But Will Andrews and the more than three million other Americans who believe they have had some kind of encounter with extraterrestrials step off the pyramid in a different direction. Clinical psychologist Susan Clancy, who interviewed hundreds of believers, found that the process moves along steadily as the possibility of alien abduction comes to seem more and more believable. “All of the subjects I interviewed,” she writes, “followed the same trajectory: once they started to suspect they’d been abducted by aliens, there was no going back . . . Once the seed of belief was planted, once alien abduction was even suspected, the abductees began to search for confirmatory evidence. And once the search had begun, the evidence almost always turned up.”30

The trigger is the frightening experience. “I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t move,” said one of her interviewees. “I was filled with terror and thought there was an intruder in the house. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t get any sound to come out. The whole thing lasted only an instant, but that was enough for me to be afraid to go back to sleep.” Understandably, the person wants to make sense of what happened and looks for an explanation that might also account for other ongoing problems. “I’ve been depressed since as long as I can remember,” said one of the people in Clancy’s study. “Something is seriously wrong with me, and I want to know what it is.” Others reported sexual dysfunctions, battles with weight, and odd experiences or symptoms that baffled and worried them: “I wondered why my pajamas were on the floor when I woke up”; “I’ve been having so many nosebleeds—I never have nosebleeds”; “I wondered where I got these coin-shaped bruises on my back.”31

Why do these people choose an alien abduction to explain these symptoms and concerns? Why don’t they consider more reasonable explanations, such as “Because I was hot in the middle of the night and took off my PJs” or “Maybe these nosebleeds are from the awful dryness in this room—I better get a humidifier” or “Maybe it’s time for me to take better care of myself”? Given all the available explanations for sleep problems, depression, sexual dysfunction, and routine physical symptoms, Clancy wondered why anyone would choose the most implausible one, claiming to remember events that most of us consider impossible. The answers lie partly in American culture and partly in the needs and personalities of the experiencers, the term that many who believe they have been abducted use for themselves.

Experiencers come to believe that alien abduction is a reasonable explanation for their symptoms first by reading stories about it and hearing testimonials from believers. When a story is repeated often enough, it becomes so familiar that it chips away at a person’s initial skepticism, even a story as unlikely as persuading people that they witnessed a demonic possession when they were children.32 For years, the alien-abduction story was ubiquitous in American popular culture: in books, in movies, on television, on talk shows. In turn, the story fit the needs of the experiencers. Clancy found that most grew up with traditional religious beliefs, eventually rejecting them and replacing them with a New Age emphasis on channeling and alternative healing practices. This makes them more prone to fantasy and suggestion than other people, and they have more trouble with source confusion, tending to conflate things that they have thought about or experienced directly with stories they’ve read or heard on television. (Shermer, in contrast, recognized his aliens as coming from a 1960s television series.) Perhaps most important, the abduction explanation captures the emotional intensity and dramatic importance of the experiencers’ frightening waking dreams. That explanation feels real to them, Clancy says, in a way that mundane old sleep paralysis doesn’t.

The “eureka!” that experiencers feel at the fit between the alien-abduction explanation and their symptoms is exhilarating, as was the fit Wilkomirski found between the Holocaust-survivor explanation and his own difficulties. The abduction story helps experiencers explain their psychological distress and also avoid responsibility for their mistakes, regrets, and problems. “I couldn’t be touched,” one woman told Clancy, “not even by my husband, who’s a kind and gentle man. Imagine being forty-five and not knowing what good sex was! Now I understand that it’s related to what the beings did to me. I was a sexual experiment to them from an early age.” All of Clancy’s interviewees told her they felt changed because of their experiences, that they had become better people, that their lives had improved, and, most poignant, that their lives now had meaning. Will Andrews said, “I was ready to just give up. I didn’t know what was wrong, but I knew something was missing. Today, things are different. I feel great. I know there’s something out there—much bigger, more important than we are—and for some reason they chose to make their presence known to me. I have a connection with them . . . The beings are learning from us and us from them and ultimately a new world is being created. And I’ll have a part in it, either directly or through the twins.” Will’s wife (the one on this planet) gave us an additional motive for Will’s invention of invisible alien progeny when she plaintively wondered to Clancy, “Would things have been different if we had been able to have kids?”33

• edited September 2022

@monz0id said:

@sevenape said:

Thanks for sharing these!! I’m totally fascinated by first hand testimony… thank you!!

My one was second-hand, via my dad, but I've personally had a whole bunch of strange sightings over the years, here are some of them:

Early 80's Essex - large 'Wimpy logo' (two illuminated semi-circles) spotted by me and a teenage mate, and then several others we bumped into as we made our way home one late evening. My mate's dad reported it to the police, as he was so freaked out by it. Think other sightings reported in the local papers.

Mid 80's East Bergholt - a group of us were camping, and on a clear, starry night, watched what we thought was a satellite make a sudden, 90 degree turn across the sky.

Early 90's Aberystwyth - me and my ex watched for around 30 minutes a long, illuminated 'tube' hovering over Cardigan bay, which occasionally split into several pieces, with other parts orbiting, until it finally faded from view. I dismissed this as an experimental laser display to make myself feel better about what I'd seen. Maybe it was.

Early 90's Mid Wales, remote cottage - on numerous occasions me, my ex-wife, friends observed large, amber, globe-shaped objects float up from the forest down in the valley, sometimes 'dancing' in pairs above the hill opposite. On one occasion I was walking with my ex down the road to the telephone box, as one rose up from the forest, gradually floated until it was almost above our heads, and then suddenly disappeared. We legged it back to the cottage. Possible explanation - 'Earthlights'.

Early 90's Mid Wales, remote cottage again - me and a work colleague, passengers in the back of a car heading down the lane, when a large craft with spinning lights flew just feet above us, across the top of the car. I passed it off as a military helicopter, Chinook maybe, but my colleague who had a better look, wasn't convinced.

Mid 90's Welsh borders - driving in a car full of mates, we spotted a large round glowing red object flying over the hills in the opposite direction. We turned the car round and tried to follow it, but watched as it disappeared at speed across the valley.

Mid 90's Welsh borders - putting the bins out on a crisp, cloudless night a small, but piercingly bright white light drifted across the sky above me - totally soundless. Looked a bit like a bright, starry firework, but fireworks don't drift across the sky a couple of hundred feet up for several minutes (or maybe they do?).

Late 90's somewhere over the North Atlantic Ocean - on a flight to the States, me and a number of other passengers watched as a large, silvery, cigar shaped object broke through the clouds, turn, and then disappeared back down again. Missile/rocket test?

2010-ish - Near the Brecon Beacons - a pair of triangular, kite-like objects flying fast and in tight formation seen as I was driving near to the military range. I now think this was probably drones being tested.

2015-ish - Mid Wales, on a hill looking towards the area mentioned above - I watched a long, silver, cigar shaped object slowly flying across the sky in the far distance. Could have been all sorts of logical expanations, but it went behind a cloud and didn't come out the other side, so I've included it here.

This summer - Mid Wales - me and the Mrs out in the garden, watched a spherical silver object floating across the sky, slightly erratically, very high up. Explanation, maybe some sort of weather balloon - but way too big for a toy balloon.

Weird things happen.

Is that all..?

Listen, I once saw a car go through a red light at an intersection :smiley:

I feel left out. I've see nothing "unidentified". No UFOs, no ghosts, no Yeti. You guys are lucky.

• The trigger is the frightening experience. “I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t move,” said one of her interviewees. “I was filled with terror and thought there was an intruder in the house. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t get any sound to come out. The whole thing lasted only an instant, but that was enough for me to be afraid to go back to sleep.” Understandably, the person wants to make sense of what happened and looks for an explanation that might also account for other ongoing problems. “I’ve been depressed since as long as I can remember,” said one of the people in Clancy’s study. “Something is seriously wrong with me, and I want to know what it is.” Others reported sexual dysfunctions, battles with weight, and odd experiences or symptoms that baffled and worried them: “I wondered why my pajamas were on the floor when I woke up”; “I’ve been having so many nosebleeds—I never have nosebleeds”; “I wondered where I got these coin-shaped bruises on my back.”31

Why do these people choose an alien abduction to explain these symptoms and concerns? Why don’t they consider more reasonable explanations, such as “Because I was hot in the middle of the night and took off my PJs” or “Maybe these nosebleeds are from the awful dryness in this room—I better get a humidifier” or “Maybe it’s time for me to take better care of myself”? Given all the available explanations for sleep problems, depression, sexual dysfunction, and routine physical symptoms, Clancy wondered why anyone would choose the most implausible one, claiming to remember events that most of us consider impossible. The answers lie partly in American culture and partly in the needs and personalities of the experiencers, the term that many who believe they have been abducted use for themselves.

• Experiencers come to believe that alien abduction is a reasonable explanation for their symptoms first by reading stories about it and hearing testimonials from believers. When a story is repeated often enough, it becomes so familiar that it chips away at a person’s initial skepticism, even a story as unlikely as persuading people that they witnessed a demonic possession when they were children.32 For years, the alien-abduction story was ubiquitous in American popular culture: in books, in movies, on television, on talk shows. In turn, the story fit the needs of the experiencers. Clancy found that most grew up with traditional religious beliefs, eventually rejecting them and replacing them with a New Age emphasis on channeling and alternative healing practices. This makes them more prone to fantasy and suggestion than other people, and they have more trouble with source confusion, tending to conflate things that they have thought about or experienced directly with stories they’ve read or heard on television. (Shermer, in contrast, recognized his aliens as coming from a 1960s television series.) Perhaps most important, the abduction explanation captures the emotional intensity and dramatic importance of the experiencers’ frightening waking dreams. That explanation feels real to them, Clancy says, in a way that mundane old sleep paralysis doesn’t.

The “eureka!” that experiencers feel at the fit between the alien-abduction explanation and their symptoms is exhilarating, as was the fit Wilkomirski found between the Holocaust-survivor explanation and his own difficulties. The abduction story helps experiencers explain their psychological distress and also avoid responsibility for their mistakes, regrets, and problems. “I couldn’t be touched,” one woman told Clancy, “not even by my husband, who’s a kind and gentle man. Imagine being forty-five and not knowing what good sex was! Now I understand that it’s related to what the beings did to me. I was a sexual experiment to them from an early age.” All of Clancy’s interviewees told her they felt changed because of their experiences, that they had become better people, that their lives had improved, and, most poignant, that their lives now had meaning. Will Andrews said, “I was ready to just give up. I didn’t know what was wrong, but I knew something was missing. Today, things are different. I feel great. I know there’s something out there—much bigger, more important than we are—and for some reason they chose to make their presence known to me. I have a connection with them . . . The beings are learning from us and us from them and ultimately a new world is being created. And I’ll have a part in it, either directly or through the twins.” Will’s wife (the one on this planet) gave us an additional motive for Will’s invention of invisible alien progeny when she plaintively wondered to Clancy, “Would things have been different if we had been able to have kids?”33

At the final stage, once the experiencers have accepted the alien-abduction explanation of their problems and retrieved their memories, they seek out other people like them and read only accounts that confirm their new explanation. They firmly reject any dissonance-creating evidence or any other way of understanding what happened to them. One of Clancy’s interviewees said, “I swear to God, if someone brings up sleep paralysis to me one more time I’m going to puke. There was something in the room that night! I was spinning . . . I wasn’t sleeping. I was taken.”34 Every one of the people Clancy interviewed was aware of the scientific explanation and had angrily rejected it. In Boston years ago, a debate was held between McNally and John Mack, a psychiatrist who had accepted the abductees’ stories as true.35 Mack brought an experiencer with him. The woman listened to the debate, including McNally’s evidence about how people who believe they were abducted are fantasy-prone and have come to misinterpret a common sleep experience as one of seeing aliens. During the ensuing discussion, the woman said to McNally, “Don’t you see, I wouldn’t believe I’d been abducted if someone could just give me one reasonable alternative explanation.” McNally said, “We just did.”

By the end of this process, standing at the bottom of the pyramid at a far distance from skeptics like Michael Shermer, experiencers have internalized their new false memories and cannot now distinguish them from true ones. When they are brought into the laboratory and asked to describe their traumatic abductions by aliens, their heightened physiological reactions (such as heart rate and blood pressure) are as great as those of patients who suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder.36 They have come to believe their own stories. 

• The “eureka!” that experiencers feel at the fit between the alien-abduction explanation and their symptoms is exhilarating, as was the fit Wilkomirski found between the Holocaust-survivor explanation and his own difficulties. The abduction story helps experiencers explain their psychological distress and also avoid responsibility for their mistakes, regrets, and problems. “I couldn’t be touched,” one woman told Clancy, “not even by my husband, who’s a kind and gentle man. Imagine being forty-five and not knowing what good sex was! Now I understand that it’s related to what the beings did to me. I was a sexual experiment to them from an early age.” All of Clancy’s interviewees told her they felt changed because of their experiences, that they had become better people, that their lives had improved, and, most poignant, that their lives now had meaning. Will Andrews said, “I was ready to just give up. I didn’t know what was wrong, but I knew something was missing. Today, things are different. I feel great. I know there’s something out there—much bigger, more important than we are—and for some reason they chose to make their presence known to me. I have a connection with them . . . The beings are learning from us and us from them and ultimately a new world is being created. And I’ll have a part in it, either directly or through the twins.” Will’s wife (the one on this planet) gave us an additional motive for Will’s invention of invisible alien progeny when she plaintively wondered to Clancy, “Would things have been different if we had been able to have kids?”33

At the final stage, once the experiencers have accepted the alien-abduction explanation of their problems and retrieved their memories, they seek out other people like them and read only accounts that confirm their new explanation. They firmly reject any dissonance-creating evidence or any other way of understanding what happened to them. One of Clancy’s interviewees said, “I swear to God, if someone brings up sleep paralysis to me one more time I’m going to puke. There was something in the room that night! I was spinning . . . I wasn’t sleeping. I was taken.”34 Every one of the people Clancy interviewed was aware of the scientific explanation and had angrily rejected it. In Boston years ago, a debate was held between McNally and John Mack, a psychiatrist who had accepted the abductees’ stories as true.35 Mack brought an experiencer with him. The woman listened to the debate, including McNally’s evidence about how people who believe they were abducted are fantasy-prone and have come to misinterpret a common sleep experience as one of seeing aliens. During the ensuing discussion, the woman said to McNally, “Don’t you see, I wouldn’t believe I’d been abducted if someone could just give me one reasonable alternative explanation.” McNally said, “We just did.”

• At the final stage, once the experiencers have accepted the alien-abduction explanation of their problems and retrieved their memories, they seek out other people like them and read only accounts that confirm their new explanation. They firmly reject any dissonance-creating evidence or any other way of understanding what happened to them. One of Clancy’s interviewees said, “I swear to God, if someone brings up sleep paralysis to me one more time I’m going to puke. There was something in the room that night! I was spinning . . . I wasn’t sleeping. I was taken.”34 Every one of the people Clancy interviewed was aware of the scientific explanation and had angrily rejected it. In Boston years ago, a debate was held between McNally and John Mack, a psychiatrist who had accepted the abductees’ stories as true.35 Mack brought an experiencer with him. The woman listened to the debate, including McNally’s evidence about how people who believe they were abducted are fantasy-prone and have come to misinterpret a common sleep experience as one of seeing aliens. During the ensuing discussion, the woman said to McNally, “Don’t you see, I wouldn’t believe I’d been abducted if someone could just give me one reasonable alternative explanation.” McNally said, “We just did.”

• edited September 2022

I spent more nights looking at sky in the middle of nowhere than maybe all of you together.

My other hobby is the astrophotography. I spent weeks on dark sites, totally alone, night after night, making thousands of photos and videos, looking at the sky.

And like me, a TON of other people around the globe. The astrophotography is a "common" hobbie.

Only people that "see anything" are:

• People that doesn't understand all the things that happens in sky. There are a LOT of phenomenons, optics, meteo and sky related, that people doesn't know.

• People who are not used to stay outside in the dark.

• People with mental problems.

• People who need one minute fame.

• People abusing substances.

• By the end of this process, standing at the bottom of the pyramid at a far distance from skeptics like Michael Shermer, experiencers have internalized their new false memories and cannot now distinguish them from true ones. When they are brought into the laboratory and asked to describe their traumatic abductions by aliens, their heightened physiological reactions (such as heart rate and blood pressure) are as great as those of patients who suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder.36 They have come to believe their own stories.

False memories allow people to forgive themselves and justify their mistakes, but sometimes at a high price: an inability to take responsibility for their lives. An appreciation of the distortions of memory, a realization that even deeply felt memories might be wrong, might encourage people to hold their memories more lightly, drop the certainty that their memories are always accurate, and let go of the appealing impulse to use the past to justify problems of the present. We’re told to be careful what we wish for because it might come true. But we must also be careful which memories we select to justify our lives, because we will have to live by them.

• Sorry for the multiple posts - the forum has a word limit to how long a single post can be

• To the skeptics what about medical evidence? Sure memories can go a bit awry but... physical evidence?

• @Simon said:
    no ghosts

Talking of ghosts. I saw a ghost cat once.

• Watching now! I'm not necessarily a skeptic but I thought that was worth posting.

• It really used to peeve me that my UFO mates constantly told me I was being abducted when I had sleep paralysis regularly.

This discussion has been closed.