Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiple Tracks Questions

edited December 2012 in App Tips and Tricks

I'm trying to figure out the boundaries of what is possible within the App from a multiple tracks perspective. Here's what I've discovered so far.

It is possible to use up to a mazimum of 3 input sources, and as long as there is no effect in the effects slot, these three input sources can be recorded independently as separate tracks in Multitrack DAW.

I currently only own 1 effects slot capable app (JamUp) and when I insert this app into the effects slot, it automatically sums all 3 inputs to a single track in Multitrack DAW.

Questions:
If I were to have another effects slot capable app, could I enter use it in conjunction with or independently of JamUp? If so, how would it be routed (series, parallel)?

Let's say I wanted to record live guitar (effected by JamUp) and synth app (played by midi keyboard) at the same time into Multitrack DAW as separate tracks. Is this possible or would everything in the input slots have to be routed through the JamUp app? (i.e. Gtr (mic) input > JamUp > Multitrack DAW separate track in conjunction with Synth (input) > no effects > Multitrack DAW separate track.)

Why does JamUp have the option (blue arrow) to be assigned to the effects slot in either an Active or Bypassed state? Meaning, what purpose would there be to assign it as bypassed instead of just removing it from the chain altogether?

Comments

• Q: If I were to have another effects slot capable app, could I enter use it in conjunction with or independently of JamUp?
    A: No. At least not in version 1.0. We've reduced the capabilities of Audiobus explicitly because we knew people would want to do this right from the launch on but there are only few devices out there that can handle this gracefully (iPad 4s and iPhone 5s to be exact).

Q: If so, how would it be routed (series, parallel)?
    A: We understand that you want parallel routing and once we introduce that... you'll be able to do this. When this is going to happen we can't tell yet. We're just making sure everything runs smoothly before we add features.

Q: Let's say I wanted to record live guitar (effected by JamUp) and synth app (played by midi keyboard) at the same time into Multitrack DAW as separate tracks. Is this possible or would everything in the input slots have to be routed through the JamUp app?
    A: Currently it would all be mixed to the same track.

Q: Why does JamUp have the option (blue arrow) to be assigned to the effects slot in either an Active or Bypassed state?
    A: You spotted something that should not be visible. It escaped our hawk-ish (sorty) eyes during testing.

Q: Meaning, what purpose would there be to assign it as bypassed instead of just removing it from the chain altogether?
    A: It's basically a state where the effects app can be turned off so that it just lets audio through. It's useful if you want to do exactly that but from the connection panel while playing in other apps. I like to trigger NLogs flanger like that when I want to add variation to a passage I've just played.

Hope this helps,

Sebastian

• Thank you, that helps! Regarding the ability to bypass the entire effect app from the connection panel, I agree that this is a very useful feature, especially when live recording into Multitrack DAW or Loopy.

But, a current limitation is that you can only access this feature when in another app. Would be great if you could also access it when in the actual app since the app doesn't provide this bypass/active functionality on its own. That way one could activate/bypass an effects chain and still be on the screen to automate the effect parameters.

So as a feature request, please consider adding the ability to view the effect app you are currently in on the connection panel - even if it is only to provide this power button to toggle the bypassed/active status.