Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yonac Trooper—new synth

Comments

• @kgreggbruce said:
    Bought purely to support a developer who has been making apps for a long g time, has kept supporting many of those apps, and co tinies to make more.

I might even use it one day.

Ditto.

• How the synth compared with Magellan 2 and Zeeon? > @frosttrance_7 said:

The Trooper synth is absolutely worth it for the filter FM alone. Have the A-LFO modulate both oscillator and the filter, and you'll make wicked sounds in no time! The delay and texturize are also awesome. Trooper sounds beefier and more analog than Kauldron too.

And vs Magella 2?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    How the synth compared with Magellan 2 and Zeeon? > @frosttrance_7 said:

The Trooper synth is absolutely worth it for the filter FM alone. Have the A-LFO modulate both oscillator and the filter, and you'll make wicked sounds in no time! The delay and texturize are also awesome. Trooper sounds beefier and more analog than Kauldron too.

And vs Magella 2?

They are very different animals. Magellan 2 sounds a bit dirty but still overtly digital. Zeeon sounds analog, but tends to have more Oberheim and Roland vibes while Trooper is Moog-inspired.

• I bought it and the additional presets. Sounds great.

The only thing missing is PWM.

• @cyberheater said:
    I bought it and the additional presets. Sounds great.

The only thing missing is PWM.

You can kinda ‘fake’ it like on the Model D. In theory a saw mixed with an inverted saw should cancel each other out (they will if the oscillator phases are reset on each note) and with a slight detune on one of them you get a ‘pwm like’ sound, more detune gives faster pwm. Only downside is that the pwm speed changes with each note higher up on the keybard.

I might take the plunge on Trooper later on but will likely skip the extra presets as it looks easy enough to tweak…

It could be a nice ‘One Synth For All Sounds’ thing including drums and percussion :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• Hi,

Can someone explain why Yonac apps are not playing through bluetooth when I switch my ipad to BT ?
    Other apps are playing fine via BT, but none of the Yonac.
    Thanks
    -fx

• edited September 2022

@fxdfxd said:
    Hi,

Can someone explain why Yonac apps are not playing through bluetooth when I switch my ipad to BT ?
    Thanks
    -fx

Do you mean bluetooth MIDI input, or bluetooth audio output?

Edit: Hmmm. I just tried Magellan 2 stand-alone with BT speakers connected, and it only plays to the iPad speakers. Not sure why this happens, or if it's a new thing. (iPad 6, iPadOS 15.7) Works normally as AUv3 in AUM, though. My problem with BT speakers is unacceptable latency, but seems like it ought to work anyway.

• Yes BT audio, as you experienced. It's the same for all yonac apps apparently, and thats not something new.

• @fxdfxd said:
    Yes BT audio, as you experienced. It's the same for all yonac apps apparently, and thats not something new.

Many audio apps don’t allow output to be sent to Bluetooth audio because of the inherent latency. Fewer now than their used to be.

• If you use the AUv3 version in a host rather than using the standalone version, the host will take care of the audio routing.

• yes i noticed, i was just wondering why. thanks

• @fxdfxd said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    -fx

Oops. We'll fix that and submit an update next week!

• @yonac said:

@fxdfxd said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    -fx

You're the man! Also, an IAP that adds sync, PWM, ringmod, and an HPF to Trooper would also be nice.

• Anyone compared this to Kauldron? Curious how different / better it is?

• It's no big deal, Ι personnaly dont use BT, but the question was asked on a french forum so I wondered why !
    Also +1 for PWM !

@yonac said:

@fxdfxd said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    -fx

• This is great. I can’t work out how to make it do FM though

• 50 free new presets on your way! Made by Jay Zen

• @mistercharlie said:
    This is great. I can’t work out how to make it do FM though

It can be a bit tricky but use the A-LFO and modulate O1, O2, Filter or all of them with it.
    You can then use the extra envelope to control the frequency of the A-LFO (but not the mod amount).

But it ain't like 'Digital FM' as you can not use the envelopes to control the carrier & modulation amounts.

All my attempts so far to emulate basic 2OP Digital FM (where both operators use separate envelopes) have failed with Trooper.

With that said, it's capable of sounds that 'Regular FM' simply can't do!

I've found that it's more fun to tweak the Trooper parameters live instead of trying to use envelopes to control them.

I'm still getting my feet warm with Trooper :sunglasses:

One thing I've noticed is that selecting 'Init' preset resets all the keyboard settings even when they are 'locked' to stay the same when changing presets.

Then again the settings say V1.0:b2 under About in the AppStore version so maybe there's a new build in the works already?!

Cheers!

• One minor point of irritation I have with Trooper is how they’ve chosen to lock the on-screen keyboard in place (scrolling function). I’d much rather there was a little padlock icon near the keyboard, versus a spring loaded menu up at the top with multiple functions (it took me a while to realize what they’d done, combining keyboard resizing and keyboard scrolling lock).

• @NeuM said:
    One minor point of irritation I have with Trooper is how they’ve chosen to lock the on-screen keyboard in place (scrolling function). I’d much rather there was a little padlock icon near the keyboard, versus a spring loaded menu up at the top with multiple functions (it took me a while to realize what they’d done, combining keyboard resizing and keyboard scrolling lock).

Yes exactly the same with me - took a while to find it and then thought "why did they do it like that?"

Oh well, as you say, quite minor but still..

• I’m guessing the FM sounds like when you do it with a model d? I really like how dirty and chaotic it gets with the model d

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I’m guessing the FM sounds like when you do it with a model d? I really like how dirty and chaotic it gets with the model d

Or vaguely like the xmod in polysynths such as the Prophet and Jupiter.

• @Samu Sounds like FM is similar to how it works on the Moog Matriarch. Actually, a lot of this synth reminds me of the Moog Matriarch, apart from the patching anyway.

• Yes, same gritty sound when oscillators are pushed, plus the stereo delay :)

@mistercharlie said:
    @Samu Sounds like FM is similar to how it works on the Moog Matriarch. Actually, a lot of this synth reminds me of the Moog Matriarch, apart from the patching anyway.

• @fxdfxd said:
    plus the stereo delay :)

Exactly!

• OK, what with the price and keywords like "gritty" and "Moog" and "Moog Matriarch" being tossed around, why not? A two minute perusal tells me it's great and easy to get into idiosyncratic patches.

Thumbs up!

• I just checked the Matriarch and it looks like the FM for the Werkstatt. That’s really fun to play with although it’s only one oscillator to experiment with. I like that the alfo on trooper has so many different waveforms. I guess I’ll just grab it finally and stop wondering about it lol

• @Fingolfinzz The Matriarch can do FM in a few ways, thanks to its patching capabilities, and you can use the LFO and the filters as sine oscillators.

• @Samu said:
    Can’t find any signs of oscillator sync or pwm (apart from ‘fake pwm’ by mixing ramp up with a detuned ramp down which will change the pwm speed across the keyboard).

Oscillators sync should be a no-brainer considering the extra envelope that can be routed to pitch!?

Oh well, I’m in no rush to get this yet…

Our Samu, ready to find cons in literally everything at any costs 😂🤣