Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Transient designer

razraz
edited July 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi folks, is there anything on iOS that can be used as a transient designer for drums? More precisely an app that could adjust the attack and sustain of a drum sound. I do know that some plugins in Auria can do that, but I don't think it's worth it to get Auria just for that and I don't think I would use it for anything else as I work mostly in a sequencer.

So is there any hope for me to find something? :)

Comments

• edited July 2014

@raz If you have any synth apps such as Magellan which can go into the effects slot, you might want to experiment around with them. Here's a short demo using Audiobus to filter the drums from FunkBox, the first 6 seconds is the original FunkBox sound and the second is the same sound filtered through Magellan.

Some of the modular apps may also be useful. Sunvox has a wave shaper module that can easily change up the sound of your percussion.

Another possibility is Bias which is a guitar amp designer.

I don't know that any of these apps will address your specific issue directly, but you might want to try out these or similar apps in the effects slot of Audiobus to see if they work for you.

• Thanks @Paulinko !
    From all those apps I only have Magellan Jr. The noob in me was expecting something like a dial which I can turn to adjust the attack, such as with SPL Transient Designer, but I guess it's something more subtle than that?

For instance, let's say I want to shorten the attack of a drum kick, how would I do that with the purple boost fx?

• Gah, just noticed that there's now a dedicated plugin for this in Auria (so not the Saturn trick). I don't quite understand why all these plugin developers limit themselves to one app :(

• edited July 2014

Yea the FXpansion DCAM EnvShaper plugin in Auria. I don't know of any dedicated units outside of Auria. What I think would be a good idea is to contact insert company name and make them aware that there is interest in having this or that plug available in AB/IAA on iOS. That's how it's been done with some of the plugin makers in Auria, people have emailed/contacted them and made them aware that there's interest out there to port their plugs for Auria.

I'm sure a lot of desktop devs are aware of iOS. But perhaps not willing to risk it without really knowing if there's any interest out there for their desktop plugs to be ported to iOS. Or perhaps many just don't know how far iDevices and iOS's ability to handle audio/midi has come. Make them aware. :)

• edited July 2014

You can do that with any good compressor acctually, the compressor just needs to have attack and release controls, in ToneStack there is a studio modeled compressor that should do what you need
    And Final Touch also has a nice and clean multiband compressor

• But indeed, the iOS world sure needs more dedicated compressors

• @Raz I don't have Magellan Jr. But in Magellan if you go into the effects you can look for compressors and turn effects off and on that you want or don't want. You can adjust the dials etc. You can also change the order of the effects in the signal chain. When you have the controls the way you want, you can save it as a new preset.

• Yes, I think I will start e-mailing. @Paulinko @Rafael_laurenti thanks for the tips. I will experiment with some compression and see what happens.

• Compression suggestion (adapted from mixing with your mind) - set attack and release to their fastest setting, turn the ratio up as high as it will go, and set the threshold so the compressor is working hard. Then just vary the attack control until the attack is what you want to hear. Then vary the release control so it sounds like you want it, pumping in time or not in time with the music, however it feels good, then turn the ratio to something sensible and set the threshold so it's taking off 1-3db. That's a great way to set it up and learn what each control does.
    Slower attack, faster release= more transient, faster attack with faster release kills the transient and allows the sustain portion to be heard more. That's pretty much how a transient designer works as I understand it.

• @mrufino1 thanks, I was planning to mess around with the parameters until I heard something I liked, but having a recipe is always a great starting point.