Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: The Rings of Power

edited September 3 in Off-topic

No spoilers as it’s an ongoing series, but…

In general I thought it was pretty good.

I have no concerns about the casting, as I don’t think it should be a big deal. I’m thinking there may be some liberties taken with the source material, especially in episodes to come, but what is in the source material has been handled well.

Seems like there has been some criticism of how different Galadriel is to the LOTR movie version, but I think that criticism is missing how she is portrayed in The Silmarillion.

Will definitely keep watching.

«13456

Comments

  • interesting... thanks
    I'll probably be watching this weekend. So it's good to know.

  • It’s a shame it didn’t come out last year. It’s a bit too similar to the GOT prequel to watch both of them in one week.

  • Weird how this series and the new got has revealed a lot of peoples hidden racism.

  • @sevenape said:
    Weird how this series and the new got has revealed a lot of peoples hidden racism.

    If it was produced 7 or 8 years ago this probably wouldn’t be such an issue, but I guess it’s just a sign of the times.

    Anyway, I’m not going to let it impact my enjoyment of this in any way.

  • @sevenape said:
    Weird how this series and the new got has revealed a lot of peoples hidden racism.

    No kidding

  • edited September 3

    Never read The Silmarillion, but wanted to see a "prequel" of sorts to the world I loved in Peter Jackson's movies. The show looks generally pretty high budget, but the scripted dialogue has been quite disappointing. Too contemporary. Specifically, one character said, "What's the rush?" and another said "Okay"... "Okay" is the kind of error that a person familiar with the material would never make. Ever. Lingo in a Tolkien story should never feel more modern than Shakespeare.

  • @NeuM said:
    Never read The Silmarillion, but wanted to see a "prequel" of sorts to the world I loved in Peter Jackson's movies. The show looks generally pretty high budget, but the scripted dialogue has been quite disappointing. Too contemporary. Specifically, one character said, "What's the rush?" and another said "Okay"... "Okay" is the kind of error that a person familiar with the material would never make. Ever. Lingo in a Tolkien story should never feel more modern than Shakespeare.

    I don’t think it matters if you haven’t read The Silmarillion, as this just references it from time to time, but isn’t covering any of the events from it.

  • @NeuM said:
    Never read The Silmarillion, but wanted to see a "prequel" of sorts to the world I loved in Peter Jackson's movies. The show looks generally pretty high budget, but the scripted dialogue has been quite disappointing. Too contemporary. Specifically, one character said, "What's the rush?" and another said "Okay"... "Okay" is the kind of error that a person familiar with the material would never make. Ever. Lingo in a Tolkien story should never feel more modern than Shakespeare.

    Yah the second I heard autotune and 'speak your truth' on the trailer I was out.

  • I enjoyed it. It looks absolutely stunning.

    I can understand why LoTR fans would be legitimately upset on the show runners take on the lore. It's clear that this isn't a Peter Jackson lovingly recreation of Middle Earth but a someone unpolished lazy tv series based on the looks of LoTR film.
    I wonder just how much source material the show runners/writers bothered to read.

    I don't recognise Galadriel in this. She does not seem like the same person.
    The dialogue doesn't sound very authentic either.

    Still, as I said, for what it is I enjoyed it but it could have been something really special. Shame.

  • @cyberheater said:
    I enjoyed it. It looks absolutely stunning.

    I can understand why LoTR fans would be legitimately upset on the show runners take on the lore. It's clear that this isn't a Peter Jackson lovingly recreation of Middle Earth but a someone unpolished lazy tv series based on the looks of LoTR film.
    I wonder just how much source material the show runners/writers bothered to read.

    I don't recognise Galadriel in this. She does not seem like the same person.
    The dialogue doesn't sound very authentic either.

    Still, as I said, for what it is I enjoyed it but it could have been something really special. Shame.

    I really appreciate a movie or show which goes the extra mile, especially when it is set in a very specific time period and location. For example, I loved the attention to detail in the move "The VVitch" regarding accents and period-accurate dialogue.

  • @NeuM said:

    @cyberheater said:
    I enjoyed it. It looks absolutely stunning.

    I can understand why LoTR fans would be legitimately upset on the show runners take on the lore. It's clear that this isn't a Peter Jackson lovingly recreation of Middle Earth but a someone unpolished lazy tv series based on the looks of LoTR film.
    I wonder just how much source material the show runners/writers bothered to read.

    I don't recognise Galadriel in this. She does not seem like the same person.
    The dialogue doesn't sound very authentic either.

    Still, as I said, for what it is I enjoyed it but it could have been something really special. Shame.

    I really appreciate a movie or show which goes the extra mile, especially when it is set in a very specific time period and location. For example, I loved the attention to detail in the move "The VVitch" regarding accents and period-accurate dialogue.

    I agree. I don't understand that they spent that much money on it an got the basics so wrong.

  • As a long term Tolkien fan, I’m mortified by this abomination.

  • @Apex said:
    As a long term Tolkien fan, I’m mortified by this abomination.

    That is the comment I have been waiting for. I admit to only being vaguely familiar with the source material and even I found it lacking.

  • @Apex said:
    As a long term Tolkien fan, I’m mortified by this abomination.

    Yes. I could have been so much better. I don't know what it is about producers who think they can "improve" on the source material. It's beloved for a reason and their "improvements" are in a way insulting.

  • edited September 4

    I enjoyed it. I must be part of the target demographic for these remakes because I couldn’t care less about the source material. The dialogue in both the latest GoT and Ring of Power are uninspired imo but easily overcome by the visuals. Both are A+ imo. Since I don’t have the attention span or time to read either novel series I appreciate the shows a lot. So far, I find the pacing and creature parity of RoP more compelling. Hopefully GoT picks up and there’s more to it than dragons. Either way, I’m locked in for this and atleast another season of both.

  • edited September 4

    I find Game of Thrones uninteresting, and haven’t made it even halfway through an episode. I’m not a fan of fantasy fiction in general.

    However, I love Tolkien’s work, and (for the most part) enjoyed the LOTR and Hobbit movies.

    I’m not even near appalled by this TV series, but I think part of that is that the Second Age does not have the depth that Tolkien gave to the First and Third ages - this seems to be built on quite a sparse framework.

    Galadriel in LOTR is quite a different person from the Galadriel of the Silmarillion, so the retrospective character development doesn’t seem as bad to me as has been made out in online criticism.

    It’s not ever going to be the Silmarillion or Lord of the Rings (or even the Hobbit for that matter), but if I can accept a surfing Legolas, and a Gimli that doesn’t mind some dwarf tossing, then I think I can accept a speculative Second age Galadriel.

  • edited September 4

    I also enjoyed the first two episodes but I find House of the Dragon more interesting. The Tolkien stories are epic battles between good and evil but it’s very clear who is good and who is evil. A world full of fantasy creatures and magic while HotD is about power games and intrigue. In HotD the characters have many shades of grey. There is no one being just good or just evil. Characters are deep and full of surprises. Great times where we can enjoy such great shows.

  • @krassmann said:

    The Tolkien stories are epic battles between good and evil but it’s very clear who is good and who is evil.

    I think that has a lot to do with his academic background and the epic works that influenced him. There wasn’t much room for subtlety in those books.

    Although there are some ambiguities in Lord of the Rings. Boromir and Gollum both at least partial redeemed themselves.

  • edited September 4

    @cyberheater said:
    I wonder just how much source material the show runners/writers bothered to read.

    The problem is more how much they're allowed to use. They have the rights to the Appendices but not to the Silmarillion or the much fuller material in the History of Middle-Earth volumes. That means that, for the period spanned by the series, Amazon has effectively paid $250 million for just 823 words (the Second Age section of Appendix B ), from which they have somehow to spin five seasons comprising over forty hours of the most expensive television ever made, without being allowed to draw on the vast bulk of Tolkien's own writings about the events covered.

    There was no way this was ever going to be anything but a colossal white oliphaunt. It looks lovely and everyone does what they can with the ropey plotting and tin-eared dialogue, but as an attempt at actual Tolkien it's just horrific. Morfydd Clark is a wonderful actor, but you couldn't imagine this Galadriel ever delivering the "All shall love me and despair" speech, nor the writers ever being able to type it.

  • edited September 6

    @Masanga said:
    Morfydd Clark is a wonderful actor, but you couldn't imagine this Galadriel ever delivering the "All shall love me and despair" speech

    But that Galadriel is many human lifetimes in the future, and this one is many less lifetimes nearer to the Kinslaying and the passage through the northern ice.

    I do see what they are trying to do with this Galadriel, but it probably isn’t anywhere near a perfect character that sits between these two extremes.

  • I liked the greater focus on one storyline this week, and it’s interesting to see their take on Númenor.

    Could do without the Harfoot storyline though, as it just plods along without really getting anywhere.

  • I can only assume the Harfoot storyline will eventually lead somewhere, as the mystery dude is

    probably either Gandalf or Radagast

    From what little Googling I did, it seems there are indeed references in the literature to Galadriel fighting - eg. battling on the Teleri side against Feanor during the Kinslaying at Alqualondë, then pursuing him to Middle Earth

  • edited September 13

    Yeah I think it was the Silmarillion that gets into Galadriel fighting cos I remember reading that but I’ve read so much of his work that I can’t exactly remember.

    Also the Silmarillion is so fucking epic

  • It’s stretching it a little to bring Galadriel into some of the situations she is in, but yes - the Silmarillion’s Galadriel is definitely more of a warrior than LOTR’s Galadriel.

    @GovernorSilver - yes, I think either is quite likely, but it doesn’t actually tie in with Tolkien’s description of when that occurred. It just feels like some Hobbits are being shoehorned into the show regardless of whether it fits the written history or not.

  • I absolutely lost my shit at the sight of Númenor. Fortunately every single thing that happened in the episode handed me back all the shit anyone could ever wish for.

  • edited September 13

    @michael_m said:

    @GovernorSilver - yes, I think either is quite likely, but it doesn’t actually tie in with Tolkien’s description of when that occurred. It just feels like some Hobbits are being shoehorned into the show regardless of whether it fits the written history or not.

    When what occurred?

    So many events that occurred....

  • @GovernorSilver said:

    @michael_m said:

    @GovernorSilver - yes, I think either is quite likely, but it doesn’t actually tie in with Tolkien’s description of when that occurred. It just feels like some Hobbits are being shoehorned into the show regardless of whether it fits the written history or not.

    When what occurred?

    So many events that occurred....

    The arrival of either in Middle Earth. Tolkien is very explicit about when that occurred, and it wasn’t in the Second Age…

  • edited September 13

    I don't think they prioritized being 100% faithful to Tolkien's published literature.

    The places Galadriel has been. Anything on hobbits pre-3rd age. The various non-canon characters.

    Numenor looked great to me btw.

    For now I remain cautiously optimistic that the hobbit tribe storyline will eventually go to an interesting place. The showrunners of course should be cognizant of the audience not having infinite patience.

    Looking forward to the next episode.

  • Adaptations are never 100% faithful to the works they are based —even great adaptations. I would judge a show based on whether it is engaging rather than how closely it hews to the source … particularly when the source wasn’t a fully fleshed out narrative.. but even then

  • I agree that Númenor looked great. Didn’t really have images in mind when I read about it, but it just looked right in this.

Sign In or Register to comment.