Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee ONE into Cubasis

Hi,
I recently acquired an Apogee ONE to use for vocals and guitar recording on my iPad. I was surprised to see that Audiobus does not support the Apogee Maestro app. Instead, I'm bringing the Apogee ONE's input into Cubasis via a mono input on channel 1. At first it seemed like this was mixing the signals of the Apogee and the iPad's internal mic. But after some fiddling (I'm not entirely sure what i did!) it seems like only the Apogee was being recorded.

Is this the best way to get the Apogee ONE's input into Cubasis, or is there an app I can acquire that will enable me to use Audiobus to get the ONE into cubasis?

Thanks!

Simon

Comments

• It sounds like you are already getting the One into Cubasis so you may not need to even use Audiobus unless you want to record from other iOS apps into Cubasis or run the One's signal through Audiobus effects and then into Cubasis.

What exactly are you trying to do? If we knew more we could be more helpful.

• No, maestro is an app for monitoring. When you enable the input in cubasis that's your recording input. If you mite the track in cubasis and enable the mixer in maestro you will hear whatever you are recording into the apogee with no latency. If you want to monitor in cubasis instead for some reason, you'd mute the mic and line channels on the output mixer in maestro.

• Hi Yowza,
    Thanks for your response.
    Broadly speaking, I'd like to get guitars and vocals into Cubsais. I've only just started playing with this. At some stage soon I'd certainly want to route both vocals and guitars through effects apps before recording in Cubasis. I'd say this would need me to use audio bus. I should also say I won't be recording guitars and vocals simultaneously, it will be one after the next. So really i need to be getting the Apogee ONE into Audiobus somehow. What do you reckon?

• Thanks for your response mrufino1,
    My question to you then, would be the same as to yowza. How would i get my Apogee ONE input through effects Apps and into Cubasis?

• Select the mic as the input in audiobus. If the apogee is connected it will be the mic.

• Or, if you're playing guitar through Jamup (for example) select Jamup as the input. In Jamup, go to settings and select the right input as your input, that's how the 1/4" is seen in Jamup rather than the XLR or internal apogee mic(which is the "left" input).

• simonrobson, do you have Garageband? Garageband reflects the settings in Maestro, so you could record mic alone, instrument alone, or both at the same time. See here:

Not to say Cubasis can or cannot do so but other multichannel devices like the Focusrite dock can send different channels at the same time in Cubasis.

I have the original Apogee One which the Maestro appdoes not recognize unfortunately. I'm limited to either mic OR instrument.

• The newer version of apogee one is seen as a 2 channel device and you can record both inputs to different tracks at the same time. I don't think the iOS version of GarageBand allows you to record to 2 tracks at once though, but cubasis and auria definitely do.

• Hey Guys,
    Thank you both for taking time to respond and educate me no end.
    I made a vocal recording last night and did indeed select the mic in audiobus. I went through a stage where both the iPads internal mic and the Apogee ONE were being recorded into the audio channel in Cubasis. It took me a while to figure this was happening as both devices were close in proximity. Blowing on the iPad's mic and seeing levels shift significantly confirmed my suspicions. This of course was highly undesirable, the iPad internal mice are very noisy.

At some point in the evening, I'm not sure when, thankfully the input channel in Cubasis stopped picking up the iPad's internal mic. I'm not sure what i did, but it was a welcome outcome. I actually ended up recording the vocals through the Apogee straight into cubasis without using audio bus.

As for Garageband. I do have it, but I'd rather stick with Cubasis to be honest. I already have Auria and plan on using it for it to mix in once all is composed in Cubasis. I've got my hands full mastering those two apps!

The next step in my recording process would be to find a really great vocals app incorporating a decent compressor that i could record vocals through into Cubasis. I guess I'd approach this the same way as you propose using Jamup for guitars; Apogee ONE as the audio input in Jamup, Jamup as the input in audiobus and Cubasis as the output. I'm hoping to use Amplitube 2 for guitars. Would I use this instead of or with Jamup?

Thanks again guys, super helpful stuff!

• I prefer Bias to Amplitube. Jamup, too, over Amplitube but Bias above all. Bias and Jamup work nicely together, Bias for tube amp simulations, and Jamup as FX (though Jamup has its own amp sims).

• I Don't recommend recording through a software compressor unless you have a specific effect in mind. It serves no purpose because you're already digital- shoot for levels at around -18 on your cubase meter, then compress it later in your mix. If you are recording 24 bit, you have TONS of dynamic range and you don't need to "fill up the bits."

Typically, you'd use a hardware compressor before your conversion to prevent clipping it excessive volume swings, but if you leave the right headroom you won't clip it and you'll have a well recorded signal. So, I think these days you'd be using a hardware comp on the way in because of what it does positively (hopefully!) to the sound, and to avoid more conversion later coming out and back in. But for software compressors or other effects, just get a good signal going in and the rest will work out. Again, unless you're singing to the timing of an echo or something, John Lennon style, then all is fair.

Just my opinion of course, it's not going to break anything recording through software effects.

• Thanks both once again. The avoiding a software compressor on the way in tip is really helpful. I'll also have a look at Bias and Jamup before opting for effects and Amp sims. Onwards and upwards!