Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An app that converts MIDI to sheet music/notes in realtime?

So not converting a MIDI file to sheet music, but being able to play a note on a MIDI device and immediately seeing the note on a score?
Anyone know whether something like that exists on ipad?

Comments

• I should try them (Dorico and Notion)and see how the exchange via Music XML goes passing notation into StaffPad.

• @McD said:
    I should try them (Dorico and Notion)and see how the exchange via Music XML goes passing notation into StaffPad.

I was also asking this in relation to working with staffpad which I bought on sale. Happy with it! :)

• edited August 2022

@prtr_jan said:

@McD said:
    I should try them (Dorico and Notion)and see how the exchange via Music XML goes passing notation into StaffPad.

I was also asking this in relation to working with staffpad which I bought on sale. Happy with it! :)

If they didn't add that funccionality recently I think that StaffPad still doesn't accept midi notes enter with a midi keyboard.

• @moher said:

@prtr_jan said:

@McD said:

If they didn't add that funccionality recently I think that StaffPad still doesn't accept midi notes enter with a midi keyboard.

the MIDI import function does not seem very flexible to me. as I understand it as a beginner you can import a MIDI file which then gets turned into a score, but you cannot import MIDI files once you're working in a score?

• @prtr_jan said:

@moher said:

@prtr_jan said:

@McD said:

the MIDI import function does not seem very flexible to me. as I understand it as a beginner you can import a MIDI file which then gets turned into a score, but you cannot import MIDI files once you're working in a score?

Sorry, I don't know StaffPad very well. You'll probably find that info in the manual.

• @prtr_jan said:

I got very frustrated with importing complex MIDI into Staffpad before the recent update. It got better.

My go to for import is to import MIDI into Dorico or Notion. I think Dorico will do 4 tracks for free. These apps are
    for making printed music (what's traditionally called "engraving"). Once in that app I export as Music XML which Staffpad handles more robustly.

Regarding adding more MIDI to a score... I import MIDI into a new score and using "selection", which places notes into the Clipboard, I paste those notes into my target score.

Where there's a will there might be a way that the developer didn't add yet.

Still, hoping StaffPad adds MIDI to notation but I know it's a really tricky workflow to get right.

• Tonality has an Au for that, called grand staff Au. It comes with like 4 AU’s packed inside and one is called grand staff which shows the incoming midi, whether played or sequenced on a grand staff. It doesn’t keep everything on the screen just what is currently being played.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Tonality has an Au for that, called grand staff Au. It comes with like 4 AU’s packed inside and one is called grand staff which shows the incoming midi, whether played or sequenced on a grand staff. It doesn’t keep everything on the screen just what is currently being played.

Actually you can hit the record button and get a list of everything that was played.

• Notion can use real-time (or step time) midi for entering notation or use imported midi.

• @McD @Poppadocrock @espiegel123
    Thank you! Nice to post in the morning and come back to all these useful advice!

• @prtr_jan said:
    So not converting a MIDI file to sheet music, but being able to play a note on a MIDI device and immediately seeing the note on a score?

GarageBand on desktop has done this (I think) since the beginning.

• @NeuM said:

@prtr_jan said:

But GarageBand captures your input and won’t give it out as an exported file. If they change that that’s huge. The “walled garden” is one reason I was totally avoiding learning GarageBand. If I can move projects into Logic Pro on the Mac I can get around this. But Logic probably has realtime MIDI that’s even more flexible. Everything slowly pushed me to the Mac. But I will resist to hang with the cool kids and avoid the arrogance of the Pros.

• @McD said:

@NeuM said:

@prtr_jan said:

But GarageBand captures your input and won’t give it out as an exported file. If they change that that’s huge. The “walled garden” is one reason I was totally avoiding learning GarageBand. If I can move projects into Logic Pro on the Mac I can get around this. But Logic probably has realtime MIDI that’s even more flexible. Everything slowly pushed me to the Mac. But I will resist to hang with the cool kids and avoid the arrogance of the Pros.

There is a way to extract MIDI data from a GarageBand file, but I will not personally endorse this method since I've not used it.

https://github.com/larkob/GB2MIDI

• @prtr_jan said:
    @McD @Poppadocrock @espiegel123
    Thank you! Nice to post in the morning and come back to all these useful advice!

and @moher and @neum

• @NeuM said:

@McD said:

@NeuM said:

@prtr_jan said:

There is a way to extract MIDI data from a GarageBand file, but I will not personally endorse this method since I've not used it.

Wow. It’s been a while since I resorted to using a Hex Editor on a binary file… Apple is cruel and controlling. “If you love someone… set them free.” - Sting. If you hate been held captive use power tools and escape.

• @McD said:

@NeuM said:

@McD said:

@NeuM said:

@prtr_jan said:

Wow. It’s been a while since I resorted to using a Hex Editor on a binary file… Apple is cruel and controlling. “If you love someone… set them free.” - Sting. If you hate been held captive use power tools and escape.

Haha. Frankly, it has never even been an issue for me. Not something that arises in my workflow.

• @McD said:

@prtr_jan said:

I got very frustrated with importing complex MIDI into Staffpad before the recent update. It got better.

My go to for import is to import MIDI into Dorico or Notion. I think Dorico will do 4 tracks for free. These apps are
    for making printed music (what's traditionally called "engraving"). Once in that app I export as Music XML which Staffpad handles more robustly.

Regarding adding more MIDI to a score... I import MIDI into a new score and using "selection", which places notes into the Clipboard, I paste those notes into my target score.

Where there's a will there might be a way that the developer didn't add yet.

Still, hoping StaffPad adds MIDI to notation but I know it's a really tricky workflow to get right.

your adding more to MIDI scote tip works fine! happy with it..

• MultiTrackStudio also has a score view which will let you display and edit any MIDI recorded into the piano roll:

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/notation.php
    (this is the desktop version, but iOS is the same)

I have Dorico, Notion and StaffPad and for me MTS provides by far the quickest score note input system on my iPad.

No step input though, if that is specifically what you wanted.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    MultiTrackStudio also has a score view which will let you display and edit any MIDI recorded into the piano roll:

I have Dorico, Notion and StaffPad and for me MTS provides by far the quickest score note input system on my iPad.

Thank you! I will check. Can you output the MTS score easily to StaffPad?

• @prtr_jan said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    MultiTrackStudio also has a score view which will let you display and edit any MIDI recorded into the piano roll:

Thank you! I will check. Can you output the MTS score easily to StaffPad?

The MTS score is just another view of the underlying MIDI and so this can be exported as MIDI and then imported into StaffPad. One thing to note with MTS is that it does not support any fancy articulations in the score view, so no hairpins, trills and so on. This means MTS does not offer MusicXML export since there is nothing in the score view which does not appear in the raw MIDI in the piano roll. I hope that makes some sense.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

Only 17MB? Just read the good reviews here and giving it a try!