Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro Feature suggestions?

edited July 2014 in General App Discussion

Hi!

I'll be mailing this short list of feature suggestions directly to @DanWalton at Retronyms.

Hopefully it will make some sense and end up being implemented in future updates of iMPC Pro.

I've not put too much effort in describing the current bugs as they are already being worked on.

Instead I've been focusing on ideas and features that i personally miss when i use iMPC Pro,
things that sometimes seem so natural to me that I wonder why no one thought of putting them in there in the first place.

Regards...

/Samuel

Main

• Tap Tempo, Tempo and Time Signature & Sequence Length should be on the main screen.
  • When 16 Level / Tuning is selected, display the corresponding notes on the pads.
  • If 16 Level is active during playback indicate which pads were recorded.
  • If tuning is selected for variation using the slider should indicate +/- semitones in the display.
  • When using slider to adjust Filter/Resonance/Velocity the corresponding value should be shown in the display.

Program / Params & Sounds

• Select multiple pads

• To select multiple pads Tap and Hold a pad and Tap on additional pads to add to selection.
    • To select all pads in a pad bank Tap and Hold the pad bank (A,B,C,D) and Tap any pad in the pad bank.
  • Clear/Reset selected pads or pad banks.
  • Edit Params of all selected pads.
  • Independently Enable/Disable Amp & Filter Envelopes
  • When using the Tune Knob, show +/- semitones for tuning.
    (Using 'precision knob', two fingers lock to semitones, outer ring for fine tuning).
  • Drag a sample/sound to selected pads.
  • Copy or Move selected pads to pad bank A,B,C,D or to other Programs.
  • Option to Reset/Make a Copy/Delete & Replace a Program.
  • Optional download of ‘factory & demo content’ (‘rsync’ of optional factory content from Akai/Retronyms servers).
  • Pads should could show tuning (+/- semitones) and filter values.
  • Option for Bigger Text on the Pads, The Red on Gray is hard to read.
  • Show & Locate the selected sample in the ‘sample list’ when selecting a pad.
  • Hide folders with 0 samples for less clutter when browsing for samples.
    Same goes for AudioCopy hide app-folders with 0 samples

Program / Edit Sound / Trim & Chop to Pads

• Option to replace the original sample when saving
  • When doing destructive editing, If the sample is used in other Programs/Pads Prompt the user with options to make a copy or replace.
  • Rename & Copy sample (If the sample that is being renamed is used in other pads/programs prompt to make a copy).
  • If a sample by accident is missing on program-load prompt the user to select a replacement sample or clear the pad.
  • Chop to Selected Pads, Pad Bank, New program
    (Makes it possible to chop samples in a Bank to selected Pads or Banks within the same program or new programs)
  • Overlapping ‘chops’ when chopping.
  • Highlight selected ‘chop’ when pressing the preview pads.
  • Drag selection from sample to a preview-pad to make a new chop.
  • Changing number of chops should not reset current chops,
    adding a new chop could select the whole sample as new chop.
  • BPM Detection ‘grid lines’ (1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 etc.) for the current sample.
    (User can set number of beats & bars, the program calculates a tempo ‘grid' based on sample length).
  • Optional ‘snap grid’ when moving markers.
  • Option to save chopped parts into separate samples.
  • 32:1 or higher horizontal zoom for precision cut'n'trim of samples (1:1 is too low with current screen resolutions).
  • Vertical zoom to allow more precise editing of samples with low volume.
    (Two finger swipe up/down like when amplifying samples)
  • Icons Zoom (Show whole sample & max zoom at touched position for precision editing).
  • When zoomed in show overview of the sample allowing quick navigation within the sample.
  • When looping becomes available show start and end of loop as guides when editing the loop.
  • Export only exact sequence, option to include reverb tails and/or sustained sounds.
    Another option would be to export the (X)th run of the sequence to 'bake in' the sustained sounds in the loop and still only record one 'loop' of the sequence.
    To clarify, let's say we need to record a loop thru a reverb and bake in the reverb, we start to play the loop thru the reverb and once it's played X number of times we trigger the recording and record the loop thus baking in the reverb.
  • Support AudioBus Input for Recording Samples.

Time Line

• Remember note grid or set default grid size globally.
  • When tuning a step, show +/- semitones.
  • Option to ‘set’ values for selected notes by typing or using ‘precision controller knob’, values should be shown.
  • Switch timeline view for selected note to ’16 Levels’ for easy editing of transpose/tuning, velocity, filter etc.

Comments

• What's up with the formatting?
    It looks just fine in edit mode :(

• edited July 2014

Type br and set < > around it to get a line break

If u want lists type ul set <> around it and each point in the list start with li end with /li also with <> around, end the list with /ul
    hope this helps

• Ah ok, so HTML was allowed, i'll fix...

• I like your "short list" ^^
    gee! everybody is teasing me with this app, but I'll stay hard, can't play the beta monkey for everybody

• edited July 2014

@lala said:

I like your "short list" ^^
    gee! everybody is teasing me with this app, but I'll stay hard, can't play the beta monkey for everybody

Thanks, it's hopefully a little easier to read now :D

Thanks for pointing out that HTML works, it was a long time ago...

• Yes, it is. U r welcome :)

• @lala said:

I like your "short list" ^^

Hehe, if I was an official beta-tester for iMPC Pro (which I'm not) I would be ashamed of my work looking at the current state of the app...

I've been a 'beta monkey' before (unfortunately no iOS apps so far) so i tend to find a lot of 'ooops didn't think about that' in almost every piece of software i touch and when possible i try to report it back too :)

• edited July 2014

**@Samu

Hehe, if I was an official beta-tester for iMPC Pro (which I'm not) I would be ashamed of my work looking at the current state of the app...

This! My thoughts exactly.

I can ad a point auto find 0crossings near markers, autoloop on 0crossings, xfadeloop

It's 2014 ...

• yes we desperatly need transcient detection... too many pops and clicks right now

• edited July 2014

^That was on the feature request poll for original impc users to vote on

• @ElGregoLoco said:

yes we desperatly need transcient detection... too many pops and clicks right now

I use careful trimming and envelopes to partly cure this, but it's not a good solution.
    The 'mixer engine' could use click/pop reduction like in the old Mod-Trackers :)

• LFOs

Move loop markers with lfo

• Yes but careful trimming is not always possible with long samples... as the maximum level of zoom depends on the sample length (dumb)...

• @lala said:

LFOs

Move loop markers with lfo

And adjust sample start offset with velocity...

LFO adjustable loop start is more suitable for sample playback synth, it's pretty useful for pulse-width modulation, and if the loop steps are big enough it's good for old time PPG wave table sequencing/synthesis too :D

• @ElGregoLoco said:

Yes but careful trimming is not always possible with long samples... as the maximum level of zoom depends on the sample length (dumb)...

Agree, more zoom is needed 32:1 or more because the pixels are so small on the screen.

I hope Dan has time to check in here because we're practically doing product development for free :D

• edited July 2014

I know, almost nothing supports this out of the box
    ensoniq used to call it transwave or something
    but it's also mad fun on "one shot" drums - "bouncing ball" booom boom bom bo bbbbbbb biieep :)

• edited July 2014

Velocity simulation on screen - tap higher on pad to get lower velocity

(This is so obvious)

• Full midi implementation including:

• clock sync
    • CC messages
    • program change
    • automation
    • midi learn
    • specify midi channel
    • virtual midi

Import/Export

• Projects
    • Cloud Storage such as Dropbox
    • Open In
    • Option to mix down to separate tracks
    • Ability to create a package which includes custom samples used in a project
    • Samples from a zip file and be able to place them in a folder you specify
    • Support wifi, Bluetooth transfer of the above between iOS devices and computers

Interface Issues

• wait spinners when operations are going to take longer so you know the app is doing something
    • Ability to lock pads when creating a song so you don't accidentally overwrite the sample you've assigned to a pad in your program.
    • Timeline ability to switch to different banks easily rather than having to scroll up or down or switch to another screen and back
    • Sequences can be deleted and copied to other banks
    • auto copy a sequence to specified pads, bank(s) (ABCD), or all 64 pads.
    • notes section where you can enter information in about the project
    • can generate an information screen/file which lists all of the resources and their size for a project
    • ability to rename, save, save as, or delete programs and samples with warning if projects use them

Performance

• higher sample rate
    • import other file types as samples
    • Option to use virtual ram as in BM2 for playback and mix down
    • Freeze Track(s) option
    • ability to sync with iMPC Pro running on another iPad
  • I feel that I can easily say that we've all given the guys at Retronyms quite a big bite to chew on for the next couple of months and if they pull all the things off we'll have one heck of a beatbox in our hands :)

• you can also use markdown to format stuff instead of html. https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics

a list item is an asterisk and a space.

to just force a line break, put two spaces at the end of a sentence.

• Just got a reply from Dan...
    I'll reply with a link to this tread :)

• edited July 2014
    • An additional IAA insert (or two) wouldn't hurt (just make the channel strip wider). Also an IAA on the master out would be great to have.

• Make use of the new touch gesture in iOS 8, where how much of your finger that touches the screen can determine things like velocity (I know it's already possible, but with iOS 8 it's an integrated API, as I understand it).

• Man, I admire you guys! I really hope they give you some of your requests! That said, I have much, much lower expectations from this company, and will be satisfied (not necessarily happy, but satisfied) if they fix the bugs, make things sync, and make files deletable. I barely expect this to work out correctly, but I'm cautiously hopeful. It WOULD be nice to see the features you guys are listing though!

• I didn't quite make it all the way through your list @Samu, greedy baystard, but epic +10 to all of the 'musical' requests I saw. Semitones and cents everywhere including 16 level feedback, BPM/clock based divisions (and snapping) in the editor...

On that note, and long live the traditional 16 levels, why not get all iOS-music-appy on it and allow the user to select scales instead of 16 chromatic steps?

I'd love an option to move a pad (and its midi info if present) to a another track so that I can more easily mix different parts of my song. If the destination track already exists, it'd get moved to the first available pad.

I saw a request somewhere to be able to fan out each pad from a given program to new tracks. That could be cool, and absolutely get why someone would want it, but I think that would wind up being overkill in most scenarios. Pad at a time would work fine if the workflow was there to support it (read: easy to do).

Though, if mixing is the primary motivator for these sorts of requests, maybe just allowing any given program to have up to 64 mixer channels is the better answer? Where you can assign any pad to a new mixer channel (thereby reducing track count, natch). Not sure if that works with whatever the data structure is for programs internally but it would keep it simpler for me.

Super grid mode. Show all 64 pads from a given program at once ala Launchpad so that I can more easily experiment with sounds and fine grained chops. Yes, small, but possibly a creative force. Keep the record button visible-everything else can go away. Actually, having an edit button available in that mode so that we can rearrange programs via drag-and-drop while seeing it all at once would be pretty sweet.

• @Paulinko said:

• Ability to create a package which includes custom samples used in a project
    • Samples from a zip file and be able to place them in a folder you specify
    • notes section where you can enter information in about the project

I feel like a lot of the stuff on your list @paulinko is stuff I wish every app had! But these three in particular I really really wish for often. I don't know of any iOS DAW that has a notes screen.

I actually started a post earlier today about setting some sort of iOS "samples from zip" standard that any program can implement. Were that present, along with the bundling side, you could do stuff like move a set of samples from Loopy to iMPC. Maybe I should finish that post...

• I like to see an External Midi (virtual and non) Instrument track :)

• I'd like them to get the core mpc functions right and working correctly before and in addition to other features!!!

• Just to add it on this topic (thx for the nice work fellas) :
    I really need support for lightning port audio interfaces, and particularly for the Line 6 Sonic Port. Right now, for me, iMPC Pro is like a Sampler/Sequencer without the sampling functionnaliy... so it´s lîke half useless ;-)

I really hope iŕs possible to fix that... I have no problem when using it with AudioBus or in any DAW...

• Could it be a tad more pro please?

• New version 1.1 is coming :-)