Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SWAM in AUM issues with Play mode

I tried my first SWAM app a few weeks ago and it blew me away, enough that I went on a bit of a shopping spree… only to realize recently that it doesn’t work all that well in AUM. Here is a video showing the current behavior:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei1c1hb88zbhubk/RPReplay_Final1661096709.MP4?dl=0

Is it SWAM? Is it AUM? Is it my iPad (pro 1st gen — I know)? Is… is it me??

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2022

I did not hear any cello at all in that vid, just a continuous phasey whooshing noise. Is that right?

• @EdGG said:
    I tried my first SWAM app a few weeks ago and it blew me away, enough that I went on a bit of a shopping spree… only to realize recently that it doesn’t work all that well in AUM. Here is a video showing the current behavior:

What iPad and OS? I run the SWAM apps in AUM on an iPad gen 6 without problems.

• edited August 2022

I use a 2017 iPad Pro and get lagging or silent notes in swam aum, and occasionally but much less often in Geoswam.

@GeoTony @Edward_Alexander @sujoybose77

come in bros. Let’s run this thing down together. Maybe we can at least figure out what to report to the dev.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I use a 2017 iPad Pro and get lagging or silent notes in swam aum, and occasionally but much less often in Geoswam.

come in bros. Let’s run this thing down together. Maybe we can at least figure out what to report to the dev.

Do you get dropped notes even with playing that isn’t very fast (using the SWAM keyboard)? It hasn’t ever happened to me.

• Ok, just worked out there is a bit of double posting here but I’m a bit slow at these things…

As @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr says just phasey whooshing sounds on the video but I think there are some channels we can’t see so not easy to work out what’s happening. Could you post another video with just 1 channel, no effects?

@espiegel123 , I don’t get dropped notes or really what I would call lagging that I can discern. I was comparing GeoSWAM instruments with stand alone SWAM and I find GeoSWAM subjectively more direct and responsive than stand alone but not sure I can objectively prove it.
    The only reproducible issue I have with Stand-alone is a glitch when you change instruments within say Baritone sax where it momentarily maxes out the DSP and produces crackly sounds. The SWAM people made some changes in this area a while ago as it was doing this on initial load which it no longer does. They told me it was due to the amount of processing some of the modelled instruments had to do.
    So to summarise , no issues with SWAM or GeoSWAM with dropped or delayed notes on a 2021 IPad Pro.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

Do you get dropped notes even with playing that isn’t very fast (using the SWAM keyboard)? It hasn’t ever happened to me.

I only use the Velocity KB app to play SWAMs in AUM. This controller works fine for other MPE synths. I only get the lagging and dropping in the SWAMs.

And yes, it can happen even when I’m not shredding.

I did not hear any cello at all in that vid, just a continuous phasey whooshing noise. Is that right?

The phasey noise is from a plugin I set with a bit of noise to show that audio is indeed working. But yes, the cello isn't producing any sound.

• @espiegel123 said:

@EdGG said:

What iPad and OS? I run the SWAM apps in AUM on an iPad gen 6 without problems.

iPad pro first gen, latest os.

• @espiegel123 said:

Correct. Sometimes it makes a sound, but very randomly; perhaps 1 out of every 30 notes pressed or so (ballpark).

@espiegel123 said:

I only use the Velocity KB app to play SWAMs in AUM. This controller works fine for other MPE synths. I only get the lagging and dropping in the SWAMs.

I haven't tried that app, but I have KB-1... I could try that, perhaps, in case the issue lies in the SWAM controller... Would that make sense?

• @GeoTony said:
    Ok, just worked out there is a bit of double posting here but I’m a bit slow at these things…

As @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr says just phasey whooshing sounds on the video but I think there are some channels we can’t see so not easy to work out what’s happening. Could you post another video with just 1 channel, no effects?

Sure, I'll do that as soon as I have a few minutes with my iPad. The whooshing sound is a filter with some noise so it doesn't seem like the video didn't have any audio. Admittedly, I could have played some chords so it isn't this confusing. Sorry about that!

@espiegel123 , I don’t get dropped notes or really what I would call lagging that I can discern. I was comparing GeoSWAM instruments with stand alone SWAM and I find GeoSWAM subjectively more direct and responsive than stand alone but not sure I can objectively prove it.
    The only reproducible issue I have with Stand-alone is a glitch when you change instruments within say Baritone sax where it momentarily maxes out the DSP and produces crackly sounds. The SWAM people made some changes in this area a while ago as it was doing this on initial load which it no longer does. They told me it was due to the amount of processing some of the modelled instruments had to do.
    So to summarise , no issues with SWAM or GeoSWAM with dropped or delayed notes on a 2021 IPad Pro.

Maybe it's time for me to get a newer ipad pro?

• @EdGG said:

@espiegel123 said:

I haven't tried that app, but I have KB-1... I could try that, perhaps, in case the issue lies in the SWAM controller... Would that make sense?

That has literally never happened to me. The only time I have experienced nots not firing from the SWAM keyboard is when I have played notes not in the instrument's range (which is expected).

Something seems wrong. Try rebooting . Create a new AUM session with just a single SWAM instrument. If that doesn't work right, please report the buffer setting and sample rate and whether you are using internal audio or an interface.

• @EdGG , I think you have found a SWAM bug… I’ve just recreated your screen shot and also get no notes played.
    If you extend your window vertically your keyboard will increase in size vertically and it starts playing notes.
    Give it a go and see if this is it 👍

• @GeoTony said:
    @EdGG , I think you have found a SWAM bug… I’ve just recreated your screen shot and also get no notes played.
    If you extend your window vertically your keyboard will increase in size vertically and it starts playing notes.

That's wild. I am finding the same thing. Good catch!

• edited August 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@GeoTony said:
    @EdGG , I think you have found a SWAM bug… I’ve just recreated your screen shot and also get no notes played.

That's wild. I am finding the same thing. Good catch!

You guys are geniuses. Indeed that is the behavior of the bug!

Proof for the QAs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pafr20e1k4a3t3/RPReplay_Final1661205145.mov?dl=0

Case closed!

Thank you everyone!!