Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala/Groovebox - Ableton Link Not Working

I’d like to sync Koala and Amplify Groovebox. when I enable Link the apps don’t see eachother when operating in standalone mode.

The goal is to load both as inter app audio into loopy pro (or AUM if needed) to record their output.

When I load both koala and groovebox as Inter app audio into loopy pro and enable link on all three apps, the bpm seems to sync across all apps but play/stop does not sync to Groovebox and Groovebox only seems to recognize Loopy Pro in Ableton Link.

I typically use auv3 and have never used inter app audio or Link before, so perhaps there is a fundamental step im missing to get all the apps talking to eachother?

Comments

• @GreedySpark said:
    I’d like to sync Koala and Amplify Groovebox. when I enable Link the apps don’t see eachother when operating in standalone mode.

The goal is to load both as inter app audio into loopy pro (or AUM if needed) to record their output.

When I load both koala and groovebox as Inter app audio into loopy pro and enable link on all three apps, the bpm seems to sync across all apps but play/stop does not sync to Groovebox and Groovebox only seems to recognize Loopy Pro in Ableton Link.

I typically use auv3 and have never used inter app audio or Link before, so perhaps there is a fundamental step im missing to get all the apps talking to eachother?

Do you have background audio turned on in both apps?

• @elf_audio IF you catch this one I'd be happy...

When you enable the 'Keyboard' for a pad on the Sequence tab and go back the the Sample tab the '< Samples' thing in the lower right corner vanishes. In order to get it back one has to to close the keyboard on the Sequence tab.

The keyboard can be enabled while the sample browser is open so it's a bit inconsistent.

It was a bit of a puzzle to get it back when using the keyboard on the sequence tab, that's all...

• I just tried and even with background audio on this combination is flaky. It lets looks like Koala is the culprit. If I load NanoStudio and groovebox, they work as much expected. But not nanostudio and koala except for when koala is in front(even if background audio is on). It seems like koala without a host isn’t a reliable link partner.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I just tried and even with background audio on this combination is flaky. It lets looks like Koala is the culprit. If I load NanoStudio and groovebox, they work as much expected. But not nanostudio and koala except for when koala is in front(even if background audio is on). It seems like koala without a host isn’t a reliable link partner.

Thanks for checking! Yes background audio is on. Koala may be part of the problem but even when I take it out of the equation loopy pro and groovebox do not sync start/stop through ableton link. Any thoughts on why groovebox wouldn’t be syncing start stop? Of course I’ve enabled this in ableton link.

Is there perhaps a better approach to accomplish my goals here? I like the immediacy of Groovebox with the launchkey controller and wanted to add some vocal sample loops. I’m already reasonably familiar with Koala and had read that koala and groovebox work well together…

• Interesting. Link start/stop between Groovebox and loopy pro is working fine for me if I load Groovebox as IAA into loopy (after first launching groovebox) not if Groovebox runs totally separately.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Interesting. Link start/stop between Groovebox and loopy pro is working fine for me if I load Groovebox as IAA into loopy (after first launching groovebox) not if Groovebox runs totally separately.

Hmmm...alright I'll try again tonight on the iPad. I was fiddling with it on the iPhone, so maybe it's an iPhone version issue.

• @GreedySpark said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Interesting. Link start/stop between Groovebox and loopy pro is working fine for me if I load Groovebox as IAA into loopy (after first launching groovebox) not if Groovebox runs totally separately.

Hmmm...alright I'll try again tonight on the iPad. I was fiddling with it on the iPhone, so maybe it's an iPhone version issue.

I tried on iPad and iPhone and both worked as long as groovebox (which will need to be manually launched) was loaded in loopy pro.

• @GreedySpark : also make sure to turn in loopy’s background setting. Switching out of loopy and back can be glitchy/slow if background audio is turned off.

• edited August 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    @GreedySpark : also make sure to turn in loopy’s background setting. Switching out of loopy and back can be glitchy/slow if background audio is turned off.

That's for the tip! I am still unable to get this setup working iphone but it seems to work just fine on ipad. I intended to primarily use the setup on ipad anyway and was just testing on the iphone because I had it on hand. So, all is well on my end and thank you as always for the prompt and informative responses!

• @GreedySpark said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @GreedySpark : also make sure to turn in loopy’s background setting. Switching out of loopy and back can be glitchy/slow if background audio is turned off.

That's for the tip! I am still unable to get this setup working iphone but it seems to work just fine on ipad. I intended to primarily use the setup on ipad anyway and was just testing on the iphone because I had it on hand. So, all is well on my end and thank you as always for the prompt and informative responses!

Curious about it not working on your phone. Out of curiosity, which phone and OS?

• Are they on the same Wi-Fi network?

• @mistercharlie said:
    Are they on the same Wi-Fi network?

I believe he is running them on the same device.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Are they on the same Wi-Fi network?

I believe he is running them on the same device.

👍

• Yes the apps are being run on the same device.

I believe I’ve identified the issue on the iPhone and perhaps this is all a result of my ignorance regarding inter app audio.

I had read that groovebox had to be open first before loading it as an IAA in order for it to play nicely with LoopyPro (AUM) and other apps. On IPhone if I open LoopyPro first and then try to load groovebox as an IAA, I just get an error, so I figured this must be true.

But then eSpiegel mentioned that I should load LoopyPro first and add groovebox Koala as IAA, which I tried on iPad and it worked without a problem.

So I’ve gone back and tried loading LoopyPro first on iPhone and load the apps directly from LoopPro instead of having the apps open first. Both groovebox and koala produce an error, but if I open and close them both once or twice as standalone apps, eventually I can load them as IAA through LoopyPro (as opposed to loading them in standalone first and then adding them as IAA). When I’m able to do this, syncing through ableton link does work on the iPhone.

Interesting that I consistently get the loading error on iPhone but not iPad.

“Couldn’t instantiate IAA node. Error -66750.”

IPhone 12, iOS 15.6

• @GreedySpark Have you enabled Local Network access for Loopy Pro on iPhone? That may help with this glitchy behavior.

• @GreedySpark : I must have explained poorly. I recommend opening IAA apps manually before adding them to loopy pro…though I probably usually launch loopy before doing the manual opening of the other apps.

Make sure loopy’s background audio is on.

• @uncledave said:
    @GreedySpark Have you enabled Local Network access for Loopy Pro on iPhone? That may help with this glitchy behavior.

Do you mean the Local Network setting on the iPhone privacy settings? Yes it’s on.

@espiegel123 said:
    @GreedySpark : I must have explained poorly. I recommend opening IAA apps manually before adding them to loopy pro…though I probably usually launch loopy before doing the manual opening of the other apps.

Make sure loopy’s background audio is on.

Yes background audio is on.

Everything seems to be working at the moment. Maybe restarting helped or perhaps I thought I had these settings on and didn’t.

Thanks for the help!