Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Delay that speeds up over time?

Do we have a delay where the interval gets shorter as the delay tails off?

I presume timeless can do this, but something that works on iphone too?

Comments

• Mela3 can do modulation of delay times, to great effect. Is that available on iPhone? Even better, remember that the FX unit can be used separately on any Synth, Greg!

• You mean speed up and down ? Like an LFO ?
    Otherwise, once your delay time reaches almost zero, you will have a problem.

• My first choice for this is Eventide’s UltraTap. It’s by far the quickest as it has the spread and taper controls ready to gooo

• @Gavinski said:
    Mela3 can do modulation of delay times, to great effect. Is that available on iPhone? Even better, remember that the FX unit can be used separately on any Synth, Greg!

Good shout!

@ronnieb said:
    My first choice for this is Eventide’s UltraTap. It’s by far the quickest as it has the spread and taper controls ready to gooo

Of course! I have this already. Knew there would be something in the app bag

• @gregsmith said:

@Gavinski said:
    Mela3 can do modulation of delay times, to great effect. Is that available on iPhone? Even better, remember that the FX unit can be used separately on any Synth, Greg!

Good shout!

@ronnieb said:
    My first choice for this is Eventide’s UltraTap. It’s by far the quickest as it has the spread and taper controls ready to gooo

Of course! I have this already. Knew there would be something in the app bag

There's a FX module preset in there that does something along these lines though I forget the name offhand

• I did it with Rymdigare the other night using an orbit LFO, but it was by accident. I just tried again but cannot recreate. I need to graduate from The Space Force Academy first and then maybe I can match their vernacular with the elements of a regular delay/reverb.

• Have you tried a convolution reverb fed with a pulse train WAV file?

• What’s the event trigger and does it reset to initial settings?

If it’s predictable then it’s probably a CC control scheme for most delays.

FAC Envolver can trigger a MIDI event on the initial crossing of an audio threshold… a transient in other words. So the start is easy but what if another transient comes in? Reset and stop cc #1 and unit Cc #2?

Perfect job for Mozaic if you can define the requirements around start/stop.

• Any delay that lets you automate the delay time will do this. Automating feedback adds extra possibilities. Used to do this all the time with hardware delays.

• @anickt said:
    Any delay that lets you automate the delay time will do this. Automating feedback adds extra possibilities. Used to do this all the time with hardware delays.

Can you mention an app for testing how it manages the event triggering? Maybe the apps trigger on transients and overlay events with their own rate increases.

• edited August 2022

I was just gonna say any Au delay that has that parameter exposed should do the trick with an lfo or envelope. I think modulation might be the best bet. Timeless 3 modulation is really sweet.

Edit- not sure why I typed this since the same answer was provided multiple times. Lol. To my credit I did add the timesless 3 part. Lol

• You really can’t do this properly by automating the delay time - that creates pitch-shifting artifacts, and changes all of the ongoing echoes at once. As has been mentioned a few times above, it takes a multi-tap delay that allows you to control the spacing between taps. That way, each note gets the same pattern of speed changes, and there’s no pitch shifting.

• @celtic_elk said:
    You really can’t do this properly by automating the delay time - that creates pitch-shifting artifacts, and changes all of the ongoing echoes at once. As has been mentioned a few times above, it takes a multi-tap delay that allows you to control the spacing between taps. That way, each note gets the same pattern of speed changes, and there’s no pitch shifting.

A have a few multi-tap delays to test. Thx.

• @celtic_elk said:
    You really can’t do this properly by automating the delay time - that creates pitch-shifting artifacts, and changes all of the ongoing echoes at once. As has been mentioned a few times above, it takes a multi-tap delay that allows you to control the spacing between taps. That way, each note gets the same pattern of speed changes, and there’s no pitch shifting.

Properly? OP asked for changing the interval of delays. To me the pitch shifting is what makes it cool. It doesn’t change all of the echoes at once. I’ve heard this effect in several current things I listened to recently but it’s been around. I’m sure there are ways on iOS to change the interval without changing the pitch but that doesn’t really interest me.

• @anickt said:

@celtic_elk said:

Properly? OP asked for changing the interval of delays. To me the pitch shifting is what makes it cool. It doesn’t change all of the echoes at once. I’ve heard this effect in several current things I listened to recently but it’s been around. I’m sure there are ways on iOS to change the interval without changing the pitch but that doesn’t really interest me.

I would totally agree with this. But definitely depends on what the OP wants. The Mela FX patch I mentioned is definitely also changing pitch, but sounds fantastic for it. Again, depends what you're looking for, and it's nevertheless useful that @celtic_elk reminds us of this. For sure we could disagree about the term 'proper' but hey....one man's proper is another man's paradise (substitute genders to your taste) 😉

• @Gavinski said:

@anickt said:

@celtic_elk said:

I would totally agree with this. But definitely depends on what the OP wants. The Mela FX patch I mentioned is definitely also changing pitch, but sounds fantastic for it. Again, depends what you're looking for, and it's nevertheless useful that @celtic_elk reminds us of this. For sure we could disagree about the term 'proper' but hey....one man's proper is another man's paradise (substitute genders to your taste) 😉

Thanks for your input @Gavinski I’m definitely not picking on @celtic_elk here but my approach to “art” is anything goes. IMHO you have to be open to trying anything.

One of the first artists I think of related to this idea is Adrian Belew. Everyone wanted to work with him (Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads, etc.) If Ian Anderson hadn’t made the flute a “heavy, metal instrument” (😉) Jethro Tull wouldn’t have sold over 60 million records. Even Beethoven and Mozart (among others) were chided by many of their peers.

Sorry for going off track here… 😎👍🏼

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Drambo!

Yup, can be done in dRambo when automating the delay time,
    tested it using the "Delay rack" module and you
    can also put together a multi tap delay as well.
    I made one last year whilst waiting for OtherDesertCities to come out.

• I tried several delays with the OP idea in mind and I liked what I was getting out of BLEASS Delay the best. It reminded me the most of the old EHX Deluxe Memory Man. Just adjust the filters and keep an eye on the feedback!

• @celtic_elk said:

This is definitely what I was originally looking for. I’ve got a million delays, will have to just see which are multi tap!

I wanted it this way so I can set and forget it then experiment with feeding different sounds into it.

Lots of interesting ideas here though. Thanks! 🙏

• @gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

This is definitely what I was originally looking for. I’ve got a million delays, will have to just see which are multi tap!

I wanted it this way so I can set and forget it then experiment with feeding different sounds into it.

Don't forget Yukawa too

• @gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Do you have Tonestack Pro?
    It's got a multi tap delay in the collection alongside a couple of others
    though automating it requires a third party midi port.

• edited August 2022

@Gavinski said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Don't forget Yukawa too

I don’t have yukawa. Is the Icegear sale still on I wonder 🤔

How does it compare to timeless?

@Gravitas said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Yep got that.

I had a quick play with kosmonaut which seemed like it’d do the job but couldn’t get the effect I was after. Probably user error more than anything though.

Edit:

This is the sort of setup I thought would work but not so much:

• edited August 2022

@gregsmith said:

@Gavinski said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Don't forget Yukawa too

@Gravitas said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Yep got that.

I had a quick play with kosmonaut which seemed like it’d do the job but couldn’t get the effect I was after. Probably user error more than anything though.

Well, Timeless does a lot more, obviously. They're different enough though. Yukawa's sliders now work in draw mode, pretty fun for playing with for fast real time changes

• @gregsmith said:

@Gavinski said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Don't forget Yukawa too

@Gravitas said:

@gregsmith said:

@celtic_elk said:

Yep got that.

Edit:

This is the sort of setup I thought would work but not so much:

I’ve just tried this in dRambo and it does speed up over time
    but the pitch does go up when the feedback is closer to 1.