Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Midi In Help

Hi everyone,
I loaded up beathawk to try out the Acoustic Drums pack. But no matter what settings I change in beathawk or AUM, nothing triggers the drumkit in beathawk whether the kit is in Pad or pitch mode. I even loaded the entire drumkit to each pad. Nothing works.
I'm trying to trigger beathawk using an external electronic drumkit. Here's the thing, I can trigger the drums in Cubasis, Drum Session so I know the external drumkit is connected right. Is there an issue with Beathawk Midi in or what settings don you recommend?

Thanks 😊

Comments

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Hi everyone,
    I loaded up beathawk to try out the Acoustic Drums pack. But no matter what settings I change in beathawk or AUM, nothing triggers the drumkit in beathawk whether the kit is in Pad or pitch mode. I even loaded the entire drumkit to each pad. Nothing works.
    I'm trying to trigger beathawk using an external electronic drumkit. Here's the thing, I can trigger the drums in Cubasis, Drum Session so I know the external drumkit is connected right. Is there an issue with Beathawk Midi in or what settings don you recommend?

Thanks 😊

How are you routing the MIDI to BeatHawk?

Is it running as a standalone?

Maybe post screenshots of all the BeatHawk prefs. I recall that a few of the MIDI prefs are not obvious -- also check what MIDI channel your controller is sending.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

Start by making sure Settings > MIDI/Audio > Send to Selected Pad is enabled. If not enabled, then each pad only responds to the MIDI channel that matches its number starting from the lower left.

• Thank you all, will double check. It's been a while that I tried using beathawk as a drumkit module so I always just left everything default. It works with my Midi controller perfectly. But I'll check the settings again and see what channel my external drums module is sending on.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thank you all, will double check. It's been a while that I tried using beathawk as a drumkit module so I always just left everything default. It works with my Midi controller perfectly. But I'll check the settings again and see what channel my external drums module is sending on.

If it works with your midi controller, use a monitor as @wim suggested to see that you are actually sending the same MIDI on the same channel. Check your routing.

• Screenshot of my beathawk settings. The Drum module is sending via USB midiband thr port is recognized by AUM and Beathawk.

• Is there a way to Midi learn the pads in Beathawk?

• Used Midi Spy to see what my module is sending for each drum. The first hit was the snare I think it is midi voice 38
    Hi hat is 46 and so on and so forth. Do I need to write-down each note number for each drum pad on my module?

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

Try loading the drum kit on Pad 10. You shouldn't need to do this, but if by some chance Beathawk is in the mode where it's using the midi channel to decide which pad to send to, then that will tell.

Also are you sure that under BeatHawk Audio/MIDI Preferences the MIDI input is active? Enable them all if in doubt whether to use the output port of your drum controller or the input port of Beathawk.

Make sure you have the Beathawk keyboard open for the pad that you're using.

• Are you using the AUv3 Beathawk, or the standalone?

• @Tones4Christ : are trying to use the kit as one hit per pad or is the entire kit loaded in one pad?

If the latter, turn on Send Omni On pads, Send to Selected Pad, Select Pad On Touch

Turn off, MIDI Select, MIDI Through and MIDI Clock.

WIth MIDI Spy check the notes your drum kit is sending -- and then using the pitch mode keyboard in beathawk check to see if those notes are actually mapped.

• I'm using it as in app audio in AUM to use the Midi routing section of AUM. I also tried it as AU but no go. I know the port is active cause I see it and I checked it to enable.

Just loaded up Drum Session to the same channel in AUM and I'm triggering all the sounds in Drum Session, of course however they're setup note wise but at least I know the module is sending Midi to AUM.

I'll try to have the keyboard open for the specific pad also load it on pad 10.

• Got some progress! Finally can hear it although with some kind of latency which doesn't happen at all to Drum Session.

• Perhaps I might think it's not detecting the module pads as smoothly as Drum Session because Beathawk drums is not touch sensitivity or have more than on sample. Like a soft sample and hard sample?

• If you are using it in AUM, why not load it as an AU? If you are having latency issues check your routing and buffers. Make sure that you don't have things routed funny.

I am not sure what you mean about BeatHawk not being touch sensitive or have more than one sample. BeatHawk's instruments are velocity sensitive and with velocity layers. BeatHawks kits have more than one sample.

• Yeah will try that. For some weird reason, my pads don't trigger the samples of Beathawk correctly. Almost as if Beathawk didn't have multiple samples. Then I triggered the samples via my Midi keyboard and they are multisampled. So I hooked up Drum Session and my external sound module does trigger the multisamples in Drum Session. This is gotta be the weirdest Midi setup ever.

So I pulled up the Midi screen for each of my pads on the electronic Drum kit module to see the midi number for each drum sound. Here's the list:

Snare is midi number 38
    Rim shot: 40
    Hi hat pedal pressed down:44
    Open hi hat:46
    Hi hat pedal pressed down and hit hi hat cymbal:42
    Kick drum:36
    Tom1: 48
    Tom2: 45
    Tom3: 43
    Crash Cymbal: 49
    Ride Cymbal: 51

I get confused with the hi hat pedal and how to call it since I'm not a drummer.

• Did you try the setup that I suggested?

Also, since you are using AUM, why don’t you host it in AUM as an AU?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Yeah will try that. For some weird reason, my pads don't trigger the samples of Beathawk correctly. Almost as if Beathawk didn't have multiple samples. Then I triggered the samples via my Midi keyboard and they are multisampled. So I hooked up Drum Session and my external sound module does trigger the multisamples in Drum Session. This is gotta be the weirdest Midi setup ever.

So I pulled up the Midi screen for each of my pads on the electronic Drum kit module to see the midi number for each drum sound. Here's the list:

Snare is midi number 38
    Rim shot: 40
    Hi hat pedal pressed down:44
    Open hi hat:46
    Hi hat pedal pressed down and hit hi hat cymbal:42
    Kick drum:36
    Tom1: 48
    Tom2: 45
    Tom3: 43
    Crash Cymbal: 49
    Ride Cymbal: 51

I get confused with the hi hat pedal and how to call it since I'm not a drummer.

Just for info, those are the MIDI note numbers defined by the GM (General MIDI) standard drum map, as shown in the attachment.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

I think you'd be a lot better off if you just went back to square one:

1. Add BeatHawk AUv3 to AUM.
    2. Hit the button at the top-right in BeatHawk and select New Project
    3. Open the keyboard view for the first pad, select Browser, then load the drum kit
    4. Go to BeatHawk Preferences > Midi/Audio. Hit the Reset button. This should turn on Send to Selected Pad, turn off MIDI Select, and set things up to receive events From all channels.
    5. Route your drum controller to BeatHawk in AUM's routing matrix.

This should work. Your controller seems to be sending the right notes. Channel shouldn't matter with this setup as long as the keyboard view is showing for the pad that the drums are on.

If that doesn't work then try adding MIDISpy and parallel route the controller to it and to BeatHawk. By this I mean, leave the routing to BeatHawk but add a routing from the controller to MIDISpy. Make sure MIDISpy is receiving the notes.

• Thanks so much will try going back to square one and report back. πŸ™‚

• edited August 2022

Xequence AU Pads ships with a lot of maps built-in so it is convenient for probing.

Observations: The basic GM map (shown) is spot on. The full GM map is a pretty good match for BH Acoustic Drums, but not exact.