Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai Midimix with LED support and extended button functionallity (Drambo showcase)

I built a streambyter script that enables Midimix LED usage on IOS devices.
It also provides extended button functionallity (toggle buttons, radio groups) and two independent sets of controller configurations (available through "Bank L" and "Bank R")

Here's a short drambo showcase

I also built a graphic configurator that generates scripts for alternative layouts.

Check out the Midios project page for more details.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth to continue? (I am thinking about building an actual app that will be easier to setup)

Comments

• @schulzki The video is private.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    @schulzki The video is private.

ah, missed that, thanks. Should work now.

• Yes, and how long are u use this setup? It this perfect? What is missing in your opinion?

• @szczyp said:
    Yes, and how long are u use this setup? It this perfect? What is missing in your opinion?

It's just a showcase right now and the configuration is not perfect, but it is easily adoptable with the configurator tool.

For me it is already much better with the visual feedback on the device.

So what's missing - well, that's what I am actually asking here :) You can try it yourself (if you have a midimix), here's a howto and all the tools/apps I use are free.

• Sweet. Thanks for your work @schulzki

• edited August 2022

Nice! Especially the project page and graphic configurator seems there's a lot of effort behind!
    I did something similar with APC40 and Mozaic and honestly, APC40 is much more equipped for this and you can basically achieve the same without any extra scripting, simply because it has all the buttons and knobs already dedicated. The only trick needed is to make it properly switch tracks and I also made the top row of encoders to send 3 different set of CCS, switchable by the pan/send/user buttons.
    I also tried much more advanced stuff for syncing the encoders and buttons between Drambo and APC40, but simply gave up unless this state sending isn't implemented, since it's too limited and fragile.
    Anyways, hope this encourages people to use controllers more and then developers to give proper support for two-way MIDI mappings.

• @skrat said:
    Nice! Especially the project page and graphic configurator seems there's a lot of effort behomd!

Thanks, and - yes, probably too much effort :) but it's a lot of fun, once the basics are fiddled out (streambyter scripting in this case). And I always see it as an opportunity to learn (forget rate is higher though :))

I did something similar with APC40 and Mozaic and honestly, APC40 is much more equipped for this and you can basically achieve the same without any extra scripting, simply because it has all the buttons and knobs already dedicated.

Same with Novation Launch Control. I have one here and it would be much easier (probably just needs the led response). But I like the Midimix, it's cheap and good quality (esp. with better knobs) and I am always for the small guys :)

Mozaic is very good. Much better scripting language for sure (streambyter feels like assembler ). But I wanted a free solution so I had to bite the bullet.

I also tried much more advanced stuff for syncing the encoders and buttons between Drambo and APC40, but simply gave up unless this state sending isn't implemented, since it's too limited and fragile.
    Anyways, hope this encourages people to use controllers more and then developers to give proper support for two-way MIDI mappings.

I totally feel you, and I wholeheartedly agree!

• @schulzki said:
    Same with Novation Launch Control. I have one here and it would be much easier (probably just needs the led response). But I like the Midimix, it's cheap and good quality (esp. with better knobs) and I am always for the small guys :)

Yes, I'd also love some smaller controller, but I've realized I make use of every single button on APC40 :smiley: I even tried to check some modular MIDI controller options, which you can build yourself, but I've also realized that for having something like a reduced APC40, I'd still end up with the same size, but with less options. Other solution would be to go with multiple controllers, e.g. one for mixer and transport (e.g. something like Korg Nanocontrol), other for device "macros" (e.g. MIDIfighter Twister, or much cheaper option - Behringer X-touch mini) and separate one for clip launcher (e.g. Launchpad Mini). But again, it will probably take more space in summary and you'd have more hassle with cable management etc. If only Korg would make some robust and versatile all-in-one controller. They are so good in making small sized, yet very useable products.
    My idea is that APC40 + iPad with an app like Drambo, but with as tight integration as with e.g. Ableton Live, would be a killer setup. Competing with flagship standalone workstations like MPC X or NI Maschine+. With a lot of extra advantages: being able to detach iPad from the controller and use it anywhere, not being limited to built-in instruments and effect, having all the capabilities of iPadOS environment, etc etc...
    Hope this future will come one day :)