Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand midi out RouteMIDIApp

I have purchased the RouteMIDIApp with the intention of sending midi out to an external hardware synth from a garageband track. I have tried in all possible ways but they do not receive information. I have not used smart instruments, only keyboard tracks.
I have used various midi interfaces, all recognized but without success.

Comments

• To external midi?
    Never tried that.
    Cannot do it now, but gonna give it a try in 2-3h

• @Franelectro said:
    I have purchased the RouteMIDIApp with the intention of sending midi out to an external hardware synth from a garageband track. I have tried in all possible ways but they do not receive information. I have not used smart instruments, only keyboard tracks.
    I have used various midi interfaces, all recognized but without success.

I suspect GB needs to believe it's controlling an audio source. You might be able to fool it by using Audiobus as that instrument. Audiobus will be able to forward the MIDI to anywhere.

• It worked out fine
    Just to be sure everything was working, I did the following
    1. Plugged my iPad to the Edirol UM-1X interface, and into my Roland MC-101
    2. First test: using LK, I controlled the MC-101 on Channel 4. Worked fine
    3. Second test: AUM as a host, I put Cykle driving a bassline on Channel 4. Worked fine
    4. Second test (part 2): Added Polybeat driving the drums on Channel 3 and FugueMachine driving random samples on Channel 1. Worked fine too
    5. Now to the final test, the one that mattered the most. Opened up Garageband, added external instrument > AU > RouteMidi and set it to use my UM-1. Played the keyboard and it was triggering my synths on Channel 2. Worked fine
    6. Created a smart keyboard, recorded some random stuff, dragged the midi to the track with RouteMidi, and it played fine too.

Are you sure it's pointing to the interface? If so, check the channels they are sending.

(random screenshot from the internet... not mine :lol:)

• Thank you for your help, I don't understand it, I did the tests in cubasis with my scarlett interface, mpc akai as midi input and my external yamaha sound module and everything works ok, then I have done the same as you indicate, open garageband, an external port au, select the interface midi, record midi track on a keyboard, and move it to the routemidi track and it doesn't sound.

• I didn't realise RouteMidi still worked with GB... so I have a long standing dream to port GB tracks to Cubasis. My best plan so far is to send them to a Mac, get a trial version of logic, save the midi, then send midi back to iOS and import into cubasis.
    But... if RouteMidi still works, can I send it to an Atom in AUM somehow and save midi from there?

• @belldu said:
    I didn't realise RouteMidi still worked with GB... so I have a long standing dream to port GB tracks to Cubasis. My best plan so far is to send them to a Mac, get a trial version of logic, save the midi, then send midi back to iOS and import into cubasis.
    But... if RouteMidi still works, can I send it to an Atom in AUM somehow and save midi from there?

You can export the midi from Garageband by using the free app Midi Tape Recorder as described here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/49090/tutorial-export-a-garageband-drummer-track-to-a-midi-file-using-midi-tape-recorder

It works for drummer tracks and smart instrument tracks 😊

• There’s a video that shows how to do it on YouTube by @seonnthaproducer i think it’s a different method but can’t remember. I think his YouTube handle is the same as his ab forum one…

• @White not sure how I missed that thread originally. Good stuff there. Cheers!

• Genius idea to use MidiTapeRecorder... a very plausible way of getting Midi out of GB, which has been a holy grail for years... and it very nearly works for me. As usual I've either broken something or done something wrong though and have emailed the dev. But, it's really promising...

• @belldu said:
    Genius idea to use MidiTapeRecorder... a very plausible way of getting Midi out of GB, which has been a holy grail for years... and it very nearly works for me. As usual I've either broken something or done something wrong though and have emailed the dev. But, it's really promising...

It works if you follow the tutorial step by step. Which step doesn't work for you?

• When I import a single track into Cubasis, it splits into two tracks, and you can't merge them again. Its so tantalisingly close to being awesome, but I don't want the midi randomly split across multiple tracks...

• @belldu said:
    When I import a single track into Cubasis, it splits into two tracks, and you can't merge them again. Its so tantalisingly close to being awesome, but I don't want the midi randomly split across multiple tracks...

Ok, I'm not using Cubasis, so I can't help with that. I have imported midi files from Midi Tape Recorder into LK and Xequence 2 without any problems 😊

• @Franelectro said:
    Thank you for your help, I don't understand it, I did the tests in cubasis with my scarlett interface, mpc akai as midi input and my external yamaha sound module and everything works ok, then I have done the same as you indicate, open garageband, an external port au, select the interface midi, record midi track on a keyboard, and move it to the routemidi track and it doesn't sound.

Really weird.
    When you just host RouteMidi and play with the keyboard onscreen it still doesn't play, I guess.

Would be great if someone that has one of these interfaces try it too. I know there are some scarlett users around, just can't recall who :pensive:

Do you have Midi Tools? (from Atom developer)
    Gonna try with that one too to see if it works.
    In the past I only used routemidi, but this week I got midi tools to work within beatmaker and nanostudio faster